next DVC resort

dianeschlicht said:
I personally think the next DVC will be in California.

I think you are right but I think they need something to sell at WDW so I suspect California will be next overlapping SSR and then a new DVC at WDW that overlaps on the end of the California selling period.

tjkraz said:
Bear in mind that DVD broke ground on Phase 3 of SSR very recently and those units won't open until sometime in 2007. I haven't read any recent reports indicating how much of the resort is sold, but I'm sure we can count on them selling points at SSR for at least another 3-4 years.
I'm very new to all this, but I asked when the next one was coming when I took a tour 2 weeks ago, and the guide said they were hearing the next one was about 1.5-2 years away, if sales continued at the current pace. No idea how much credence to give that....just what I heard.

kadaten said:
I'm very new to all this, but I asked when the next one was coming when I took a tour 2 weeks ago, and the guide said they were hearing the next one was about 1.5-2 years away, if sales continued at the current pace. No idea how much credence to give that....just what I heard.

A lot depends on the sales status of SSR, which is a complete unknown. But I doubt they could have a new resort open in that short of time. SSR was announced in January '02...leveraged a lot of infrastructure from the old Disney Institute...and didn't open to guests until May '04. That's well over 2 years development time, and less than 50 rooms were open on Day One.

That said, I really don't have any idea when they will choose to ANNOUNCE a new resort. They certainly could sell two properties at once. But from the time of the announcement, it looks like it will be 2 - 2.5 years before that resort would begin to accept guests.

In the end, we'll all be waiting on that magical announcement before we can really start counting the days. :)

Regarding others' questions on Eagle Pines, it was more than just a concept that never got off the ground. The resort commonly known as Eagle Pines, which was never given a formal name, was actually announced in September 2001. Ground clearing work began on the site near the EP golf course (thus the name), and it was to have been DVC's 7th resort instead of SSR.

You can read the original press release here:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dvceaglepines.htm

Of course, the timing left something to be desired due to the 9/11 attacks and their impact on the entire tourism industry.

The sequence of events went something like this:

- Disney has both SSR and EP in the pipeline. Commits to EP.
- In the weeks following 9/11, Disney begins to assess the full impact of the attacks and looks for ways to cut costs.
- A decision is made to close the Disney Institute sooner rather than later to reduce costs.
- EP is halted. SSR gets the greenlight.

Basically SSR became a solution to two problems: 1) It gave them an excuse to close the DI immediately, and 2) it gave them a DVC property that could be developed moderately faster than EP due to some buildings being reused, utilities, roads, etc.

Some think EP could still be the 8th DVC resort. The property is still undeveloped. The plans have been drawn up. But, if they decide to go another direction, I suspect the EP development expenses won't exactly be the largest write-off Disney has ever taken. ;)

Where exactly is Eagle Pines? I don't golf so I don't know where the course is...
Anyone got one of those grand overview type maps?

pirateparrot said:
I think you are right but I think they need something to sell at WDW so I suspect California will be next overlapping SSR and then a new DVC at WDW that overlaps on the end of the California selling period.

This makes sense to me. (....but what do I know!) I'm just curious what the next WDW DVC will be. Maybe it will be the CR, just on a later timetable then we were originally thinking.

Thanks for the map!
Now I see what you mean about it being "away from the parks" like SSR! At least SSR has DTD nearby!!! Maybe it'll have other perks, though....who knows?!?

tjkraz said:
Here's a link to a map...

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/wdwmap.html

Look right around the center of the map, near Fort Wilderness.
If you exited OKW and turned left on Disney Vacation Club Drive (once named Community Drive), went to the traffic light, make a right turn on Bonnet Creek Parkway, then this will take you right past the P.O. resorts. Continue on that road and today you come to a 'T' intersection with Vista Drive. If you made a left there it would take you toward the campground entrance. If you made a right it would take you over toward the WDW warehouses complex.

According to plans I saw, that 'T' intersection was to be turned into a full intersection. So, at the new intersection, where you currently have to turn either left or right, you would instead continue straight ahead and that would be the entrance road directly into the EP DVC resort.

Regarding a California DVC resort, that certainly makes a lot of sense. But keep in mind there's nothing to preclude Disney from building in California and at the same time still build something at WDW.

Now how about DVC resorts at Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong also??? :teeth:

I won't mention Australia... :confused3

I agree with others that DVD will look at a sight with an existing infrastructure. That makes CR look like a nice fit. Add the fact that it is on the monorail, and sales could be quicker than BCV. However, I believe that it would be unlikely and premature of DVC to announce a new resort at WDW before SSR is near 85%+ sold-out mark. If CR is the new location, the incentives would have to be pretty heavy to convince someone to buy at SSR instead of waiting for CR. SSR would be like HHI and VB when VWL were being sold. If I remeber correctly, there were strong incentives for those 2 locations, in which sales dragged on for years before being sold-out.

An afterthought on villas at CR. My guess is that the wing would have to be leveled completely and built from the ground up. I don't think it would be as easy to just go in and add a few mini-kitchens and whirlpool tubs. There is not as much space there as the other resorts have, right? That means they have to build vertical.

Caskbill said:
Now how about DVC resorts at Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong also??? :teeth:

That would be awesome! Unlikely in the near term, but awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter