next DVC resort

kaw1106

Live everyday like it is the only day.
Is there a rule of thumb as to when DVC typically begins next resort? For instance how much of SSR will have to be sold in order for the next DVC resort to begin construction? I am sure some of you that have been around DVC for a while know the history here, I am really curious about it.

Kathleen

They started building BWV when OKW was nearly sold out. They did the same with VWL while BWV was selling. There was a gap between VWL selling out and BCV starting to sell, and another gap between BCV sellng out and SSR starting to sell. I think those smaller resorts sold out a bit faster than they expected. They announced Eagle Pines, and then started SSR instead. I would think that Eagle Pines might still be a possibility depending on how well SSR is received. If SSR is not received well because of distance from the parks, then I doubt they will go through with Eagle Pines, since that will not have anything other than a golf course for draw. I personally think the next DVC will be in California.

What happened with the big rumor that the next DVC resort would be over at the Contemporary, making one of the two garden wing buildings into a DVC property????

RAD said:
What happened with the big rumor that the next DVC resort would be over at the Contemporary, making one of the two garden wing buildings into a DVC property????

Same thing that's always happened whenever that rumor pops-up: Nothing. If anything it seems to be losing steam more than in the past. For the first time there have actually been reports of various CMs and DVC staff stating that it isn't going to happen.

Bear in mind that DVD broke ground on Phase 3 of SSR very recently and those units won't open until sometime in 2007. I haven't read any recent reports indicating how much of the resort is sold, but I'm sure we can count on them selling points at SSR for at least another 3-4 years.

RAD said:

Nothing official has come out on it yet and it has always been just a well reported rumor.

But if Disney keeps with their pattern (at their last three projects) of using existing infastructure to build a DVC resort, then the rumor picks up momentum.

DVC at the Contemportary makes a lot of sense in many ways. But announcing it too early wouldn't make sense.

HBC

they have sold more than one DVC resorts at a time.

the guides preferred it - it gives the prospective buyers a choice.

VB, HH and OKW - then they added BWV were all sold at the same time.

then VWL, BWV, VB and HH were all sold at the same time.

I think everything had sold out when BCV was up for sale, although if you asked for it you could still get VWL.

It is only since SSR that DVC is only selling one resort. They haven't done it this way since the early years when they only sold OKW (then DVC).

the guides would love to give people a choice.

I was hoping for a Cont - but I think WDW wanted too much money for this property and DVC decided it could do better?????

besides the new rooms that the Cont will have look GREAT!!!! they will not have any trouble keeping it filled if they go with that plan for the entire resort.

expect the cheap rooms at the Cont to be in the past - once this rehab is done. It is that much better - in many ways!!!

SSR must be selling according to, or ahead of, projections or DVD wouldn't have raised the prices this year. If economic growth/personal income numbers continue to be good, there will be buyers in the marketplace, therefore more resorts.

...I hope they hold off.

Am I the only one who feels that Disney is being over-built? That the enormous number of rooms on property is both congesting the roads and spoiling the "extra magic" of the "Extra Magic Hours"?

Sooner or later, the law of diminishing returns will set in. (Lest we forget: there's still hundreds of Pop Century rooms waiting to be finished...on top of the SSR villas.)

If DVC wants to build further, I hope they either convert already existing rooms (a la the Contermporary) or build something in Anaheim.

Greg,
Iagree that there seems to be overbuilding at WDW. It's somewhat unsettling to have them building something everywhere you look, it reminds me of urban sprawl, where pretty soon you end up with 1/2 empty buildings that aren't kept up as well as they should be. Soon we will have slums :rotfl:

Hey, what are these??? :paw: :dog2: :pug: :dog: Hmmm, I am sensing a bias. :earseek:

I heard today - from a VERY reliable source at the New York Times - that the next resort will be in Thule, Greenland! :cool1:

JimMIA said:
I heard today - from a VERY reliable source at the New York Times - that the next resort will be in Thule, Greenland! :cool1:

Now that's when I am adding points again!!!! :cool1:

:blush: Newbie here...Forgive this question if redundant...What is Eagle Pines?

spiceycat said:
I was hoping for a Cont - but I think WDW wanted too much money for this property and DVC decided it could do better?????

besides the new rooms that the Cont will have look GREAT!!!! they will not have any trouble keeping it filled if they go with that plan for the entire resort.

So you have any drawing or pictures of what the new Cont rooms will look like?

MrsNick said:
:blush: Newbie here...Forgive this question if redundant...What is Eagle Pines?

Eagle Pines was a proposed DVC property before SSR. It never came about, there is speculation it might still be built. As for why it didn't come about, I can't answer that for you. Maybe someone else can.

Kathleen

JimMIA said:
Interesting notion. I spent 4 years in Thule ('91 to '95). I can see it now, DVC's first truly secure site restricted to those who possess the necessary security clearance.

Greg K. said:
...I hope they hold off.

Am I the only one who feels that Disney is being over-built? That the enormous number of rooms on property is both congesting the roads and spoiling the "extra magic" of the "Extra Magic Hours"?

Sooner or later, the law of diminishing returns will set in. (Lest we forget: there's still hundreds of Pop Century rooms waiting to be finished...on top of the SSR villas.)

If DVC wants to build further, I hope they either convert already existing rooms (a la the Contermporary) or build something in Anaheim.

I guess it depends on whether they have a fifth gate in the works for WDW. Another park, say Disney Sea or some version of it might be an interesting addition. That would make the investment in more lodging very reasonable.

I am less concerned about Pop Century. That competes with the budget off-site properties. If anything it just moves people on property who would be staying over on 192.

kaw1106 said:
Eagle Pines was a proposed DVC property before SSR. It never came about, there is speculation it might still be built. As for why it didn't come about, I can't answer that for you. Maybe someone else can.

Kathleen

My understanding is that the Disney Institute failed on the site of SSR and WDW offered that site to DVD. Since the site already had all of the utilities and such it made sense to build there rather than on a new site. I also suspect WDW gave them a really good deal because how would it look to have an abandoned property directly across from Downtown Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter