Nikki and Tom take on F&W and MNSSHP-Take 2! LINK TO TR pg. 55

NikkiLovesWDW!

"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "S
Hey friends!!! Soooooo thrilled to be starting yet another PTR!! Can you believe these deals that were just released?! I've never seen so many deals released so early! This trip has been decided on since practically the day we got back from our last trip. We've even had the flights booked for 2 months. I didn't expect to book the resort for awhile but with this new discount...I just had to!!

So welcome back to all my friends who know me! And I hope to make some new friends with this PTR/TR too!

Cast:

Me: Nikki,
Grew up going to Disney (see video "Growing Up Disney") and have been obsessed since I can remember. Seriously, in middle school when kids are just dying to fit in and "be cool" I had Mickey mouse bedding, posters of Walt on my walls, while friends had posters of Green Day (Dookie era) and my awesome 90s oversized t-shirts were ALL disney of some sort. Oh here are some examples....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I even had a Mickey hat! First prize to the person who knows where THIS pic was taken!
ry%3D400

Yup, that's Alex Trebek!
ry%3D400

Hot, right? I was quite the catch in the 90s! Okay, okay...here is what I look like now...well on our last trip, which was early July, 2010. (See that TR in my sig! Don't be afraid of the 4th!!) I still rock the Mickey gear!
ry%3D400

Tom
: Long time Disney-lover, as far as animation, music, movies go but had NEVER been to WDW until he met me! Our first trip was in 2006 and he was HOOKED! Thank God or else there may not have been a future for us! This trip will be our 7th!! I didn't discover trip reports until our 5th trip, which was our honeymoon and also included a Disney cruise. I then wrote about our first MNSSHP and F&W trip, and I'm still hanging on to my last trip report, which has sort of become my personal blog but I didn't want to lose touch with my friends!! I'm sure I'll have to end that for good now that I'm starting a new PTR! Anyway, the links to those three are in my sig if anyone is interesting in reading about two adults having a BLAST in WDW!! Oh, sorry, I was supposed to be introducing Tom!! Here he is, doing what he loves to do best in WDW!!
ry%3D400

Here's both of us on our way to DTD from POR! BTW, I'm freaking awesome at taking pictures of us...ya know, the "turn the camera around, faces real close" shots? You have to learn how to rock that move when there's only two people!
ry%3D400

A little backstory

So, like I said, we decided on this trip, literally, the day after we got back from our summer trip. I just can't deal with not knowing that a trip is in our future! Unfortunately, this will be a shorter trip: 4 days, 4 nights. I am a teacher and can only take big trips in the summer. Two of our trips so far have been during the school year and for both, I had to take 2 personal days and just made a long weekend. This year, I don't have to do that! The stars all seemed to align for us, as I have off of school on Thursday 9/29 and Friday 9/30 for a Jewish holiday. So we are leaving on Wednesday night (9/28) and will come home Sunday night (10/2). (Of course, not nearly as long as I would like but better than my last 4 day trip that I planned BEFORE realizing I had Back to School night that Wednesday so had to leave Thursday morning instead of the night before! Blech!) So not only did Rosh Hashannah happen to fall on a Thursday/Friday this year but that also happens to be the FIRST weekend of Food and Wine Festival!! :cool1: We only experienced Food and Wine once (last year) and it was sooooooo awesome! If you don't know already, you will quickly learn that World Showcase is our absolutely favorite place and it's not uncommon on a random Sunday afternoon to ask Tom if he wants to go to Biergarten for lunch. Oh, I would just LOVE to live near WDW!!

So being that it's a "holiday weekend" I was very concerned about flight rates. My sister went to WDW that weekend this past year and when they looked at flights, they were ridiculously expensive! BUT, they were looking just a few weeks before. So I'd been stalking the Continental website and as soon as those dates came up, I booked!! $200 a person round trip!! Not bad at all! I booked the flights before booking anything else because I didn't want Continental to catch onto the holiday weekend and the rates shoot through the roof! They've since increased a bit but you'll see! They are going to skyrocket!

Now doesn't everything seem so perfectly perfect? Well, unfortunately, it really isn't. As of the end of August, Tom has been unemployed and it totally sucks! The hospital that he worked for in Manhattan went bankrupt and closed down. It was a pretty big deal in the city, as that had been a major hospital since the 1800s. Anyway, it's really hard to be so excited about this trip when thinking about our situation. Some might think it's irresponsible or just plain stupid to go on vacation when he is unemployed but honestly, it makes us so happy, it's like therapy! We don't spend money on much of anything throughout the year. I'd rather save our money and spend a few days in, what I truly believe is, the happiest place on earth. That said, we are very hopeful that, by then, Tom will have a job and we can enjoy our vacation worry-free!

Coming Up: Additional Cast!!

Hi Nikki.......so glad you started a trip report.....I have started planning my trip although I have not booked anything yet. It looks like we are going mid July...starting with a day a Sea World....then 2 nights at Universal, then8 or 9 nights at Disney. I think we are going to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter. We want to go as late in July as possible to maximize APs.

So happy that you're finally able to start your PTR after much anticipation! I'm sure things will turn around for Tom's job situation soon... keep your head up! You're totally right... Disney is therapy for sure and definitely worth it!!! :rotfl:

I'm here to follow you again Nikki! Sorry I couldn't go last July, but I had no idea what my new summer schedule was going to be since we were just starting high school sports. I'm planning on the end of June this year and hoping to miss those crazy July tour groups we all ran into in '09! :eek: Here's some Pixe Dust that Tom will find an awesome job before you guys go! pixiedust:
And Wendy I agree that we need to get a meet together for our '09 group!! :thumbsup2 Looks like we're going to miss each other too if your looking at mid July. It sounds like your planning an amazing trip though! I got lucky and recieved a pin code by email the first of October and got 35% off my room! :cool1: Thank goodness because so far the discounts have blocked out my travel dates.

Hi Nikki!!! So glad you've started another pre trip report which I can follow and get all vicariously excited since there ain't no future trips on my horizon!

I love all your cool disney tee's...and just noticed Tom's Rose&Crown shirt, pretty fancy!:thumbsup2

I don't think it's irresponsible at all that you are heading to Disney for a short trip, you need something to look forward to in this horrible economic climate or you'd go mad! and a girl in my work who loves holidays always says, no good in being the richest man in the graveyard! ;)

and cross fingers Tom will find something before your trip!:goodvibes my dad has started back to work this week after 2 months unemployed, he was so down the whole time:sad2:...so understand a bit how your feeling...

I'm here to follow you again Nikki! Sorry I couldn't go last July, but I had no idea what my new summer schedule was going to be since we were just starting high school sports. I'm planning on the end of June this year and hoping to miss those crazy July tour groups we all ran into in '09! :eek: Here's some Pixe Dust that Tom will find an awesome job before you guys go! pixiedust:
And Wendy I agree that we need to get a meet together for our '09 group!! :thumbsup2 Looks like we're going to miss each other too if your looking at mid July. It sounds like your planning an amazing trip though! I got lucky and recieved a pin code by email the first of October and got 35% off my room! :cool1: Thank goodness because so far the discounts have blocked out my travel dates.

So far the plans are all on paper, so if we end up going sooner I will let you know. The tour groups are one thing I dread - you should miss most of them going the end of June. I would love a pin code right now!

subscribing Nikki! popcorn::

Can't wait to read about all your plans... DF has said that Sept/Oct is his favourite time to visit WDW... so after honeymoon trip, I think that would be the time of year we'd plan to go again! :cloud9:

Happy New Year btw!! :wizard:

Emma princess: x

Hi Nikki.......so glad you started a trip report.....I have started planning my trip although I have not booked anything yet. It looks like we are going mid July...starting with a day a Sea World....then 2 nights at Universal, then8 or 9 nights at Disney. I think we are going to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter. We want to go as late in July as possible to maximize APs.

Yeah, that's why I feel like this trip would be the perfect time to start APs...we'll have the entire summer the following year to choose from. Probably will be end of August but I really do wish we could get our old 2009 crew together! Was so glad we got to spend time with you and your family this past summer! Hey, did Ashley's movie ever come out? The one with that guy from Twilight?

So happy that you're finally able to start your PTR after much anticipation! I'm sure things will turn around for Tom's job situation soon... keep your head up! You're totally right... Disney is therapy for sure and definitely worth it!!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the reassurance and well wishes!

Oh those '09 tour groups were the WORST!!! Congrats on the 35% off pin code! That's awesome, especially since no discounts for most summer dates. What's up with that?? Maybe they will be released closer to the usual time they come out. These are WAY early!

:cool1:

Hi Nikki!!! So glad you've started another pre trip report which I can follow and get all vicariously excited since there ain't no future trips on my horizon!

I love all your cool disney tee's...and just noticed Tom's Rose&Crown shirt, pretty fancy!:thumbsup2

I don't think it's irresponsible at all that you are heading to Disney for a short trip, you need something to look forward to in this horrible economic climate or you'd go mad! and a girl in my work who loves holidays always says, no good in being the richest man in the graveyard! ;)

and cross fingers Tom will find something before your trip!:goodvibes my dad has started back to work this week after 2 months unemployed, he was so down the whole time:sad2:...so understand a bit how your feeling...

Thanks Cathy! Isn't Tom's shirt so awesome!?! We saw it a few years ago and when we went to buy it the following trip, they didn't have any! So when we saw it this time, we HAD to buy it! Love that quote from your friend! It's so true. I'm all about saving money but you have to make yourself happy, too!

subscribing Nikki! popcorn::

Can't wait to read about all your plans... DF has said that Sept/Oct is his favourite time to visit WDW... so after honeymoon trip, I think that would be the time of year we'd plan to go again! :cloud9:

Happy New Year btw!! :wizard:

Emma princess: x

Happy New Year to you too, Emma! I'm soooo excited to go during this time! I'm even tempted to go back and read my OWN TR from the last time we went for MNSSHP and F&W to remember how awesome it was!

I wanted to post some more tonight but we went to my sister's so Tom could help her set up an ebay account and give her a mini-lesson! They are looking to get rid of some "junk" and make a few bucks in the process. In the meantime, Emma also was busy. Remember her from my 2009 TR? The cutest baby in the world? Well she's now the cutest potty-training toddler in the world and what an adventure THAT is! She had her "big girl underwear" on with no pants (because she has too many accidents) and she just doesn't get that when she feels like she has to go, she needs to hold it until she gets to the potty! Instead she just pees and nervously repeats, "It's okay. It's okay." Oh it's soooo funny thinking about it now but it was really hard to keep up with her and I give my sister a lot of credit...potty training does NOT seem easy!

C'mon! So cute!
ry%3D400

Tomorrow night I have some work to do for my Masters. Can you believe I am in my 7th class (out of 10 total)!! Went fast right! I started exactly a year ago (beginning of January) and I'll be done mid-August. So I won't have any school work to worry about on my next trip like I did this past summer. Anyway, depending on how quickly I can get that done, I hope to write some more about this mysterious "additional cast" I mentioned yesterday........

Good night, friends!

I'm joining! So exciting to be planning a new trip! I just booked my trip, for 10/1-10/9, maybe I'll run into you in the world showcase, that's our favorite place too!!

I don't think it's irresponsible to go to Disney when your DH is still unemployed, I totally agree with you, Disney is therapy! :)

Yeah, that's why I feel like this trip would be the perfect time to start APs...we'll have the entire summer the following year to choose from. Probably will be end of August but I really do wish we could get our old 2009 crew together! Was so glad we got to spend time with you and your family this past summer! Hey, did Ashley's movie ever come out? The one with that guy from Twilight?

You are lucky you have all summer to choose from. We got great deals when we were able to go in August. I am glad that we did the Wishes cruise with you too. It was so great getting to know you both - and in some ways I feel like I have known you for years! As for the movie - it is due out September 23, 2011. The name of the movie is Abduction, starring Taylor Lautner and Lily Collins. Sigourney Weaver is also in the movie. I believe she was also there the day Ashley was. If you look it up on Wikipedia it mentions her high school. There are also some photos of the filming on the web. Pretty cool! Oh, did you ever finish watching the videos??

Wow, you're at 7 out of 10 classes already?! That's great news! :goodvibes

I know, crazy right!?

I'm joining! So exciting to be planning a new trip! I just booked my trip, for 10/1-10/9, maybe I'll run into you in the world showcase, that's our favorite place too!!

I don't think it's irresponsible to go to Disney when your DH is still unemployed, I totally agree with you, Disney is therapy! :)

Yay!! Thanks for joining in! Oh we definitely have to look at each other's plans, although with all the additional cast and such a short trip, not sure if I'll even have a free minute! We'll see....

You are lucky you have all summer to choose from. We got great deals when we were able to go in August. I am glad that we did the Wishes cruise with you too. It was so great getting to know you both - and in some ways I feel like I have known you for years! As for the movie - it is due out September 23, 2011. The name of the movie is Abduction, starring Taylor Lautner and Lily Collins. Sigourney Weaver is also in the movie. I believe she was also there the day Ashley was. If you look it up on Wikipedia it mentions her high school. There are also some photos of the filming on the web. Pretty cool! Oh, did you ever finish watching the videos??

I'll definitely keep an eye out for the movie! Yes I watched the videos...I promise I will send them back! I'm not stealing them!! I'll let you know when they ship.

Yay for you new TR! Can't wait to hear all about your plans! And ya know we're probably not in the best situation to go on a vacation each year, but you'll never get that time back ya know?

Additional Cast:
Gary: Tom's brother
Erin: Gary's wife
Conor: Gary and Erin's 4 year old son (he will be 5 on this trip)

So what's their story?? Well, like Tom, Gary had never been to Disney. Erin had been once or twice as a kid and once to Disneyland in her early 20s, maybe. She loves Disney, though, and has lots and lots of disney movies. But like everyone else, I'm sure they thought Tom and I were crazy having always seemed to be going or just gotten back from Disney. I just don't think they got it...but who can blame them? Most people don't. That is until now!

So Erin and Gary planned a trip to Disney World for October. I have to say, I was sooooo nervous! What if they don't do it right and then they have a bad time and then we look stupid for constantly going to this place that they think totally sucks?!?

Well right away, I was very happy that Erin was taking all of my advice (some of it shoved down her throat!) and she really did a LOT of planning and research. Kudos Erin! I was so happy when she would email me asking me about a restaurant or how to get to here from there, etc. It made me so happy to know that she was really taking this seriously and understood that a lot goes into planning a trip to Disney World! I was also very happy with Gary when he did a little research himself and had the disney florist come and decorate their room for their anniversary!

Anyway, even after all that, I was still nervous...until the first day of their trip when Erin called me and pretty much told me they were having the best day of their lives!! I could honestly cry just thinking about it! They had a blast and really made the most of it. They totally appreciated all the magic of it all and when we got together for our "picture party" Gary said he came back a changed man! I NEVER would have expected that from either of them and needless to say, I am beyond thrilled!

So when did we plan this trip together? Oh about three days into their trip!! Erin and I texted and emailed each other all day long while they were there (gotta love the live updates!) and she would call every night. Well during one of those calls, we decided we were going together next time and that was the start of this trip!

Since they used and liked the dining plan, they booked their trip when the free dining offer was out last month. They actually came over for a 'booking party' and we have already begun planning out our days, which I will post another time.

I would love to post a picture of them but before I do, I want to check with Erin and make sure it's okay with her to post pictures of them.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for the movie! Yes I watched the videos...I promise I will send them back! I'm not stealing them!! I'll let you know when they ship.

:rotfl:I did not think you were stealing them - I just wondered what you thought of them! Besides, how long did it take me to mail them -lol.

But wait! There's more!!!

Totally unrelated to our trip, my parents are taking my sister, DBIL and Emma on a trip to WDW the week before, and the last day of their trip happens to be the first day of our trip!!!!! SOooooo, even though we only have 4 days that are booking up FAST, I suppose I could spare our first evening to have dinner with MY fam...in Epcot, of course! I'm really excited for my parents to go on this trip. They haven't been in TEN years!! That's insane! I have them to thank for my disease, er...addiction, uhh.....love of disney and am so grateful we were able to go as often as we did growing up. They certainly set my sister and I up to be the disney crazy people we are! And now that we are old enough to go on our own, I guess they had no reason to go...until now, now that they have a grandchild!

(BTW, my parents have promised when Tom and I have a little prince or princess, they will take us to WDW too!)

So here's the other crew that will make an appearance in this TR on Day 1.

Here's Jamie and Justin from our trip last fall. I don't mind that this picture isn't really showing Emma because she doesn't even look like that anymore! See the previous post of her on the potty!
ry%3D400

The most recent picture I have of my parents in Disney is from 1998!! But our last trip with them was in 2001...about 2 weeks before 9/11.
ry%3D400

Here's my mom, my sister and me from our first trip in 1982. I guess I didn't love Mickey so much back then....
ry%3D400

I don't have a picture of my dad from that first trip, but here he is with my sister and me on our second trip in 1986. I swear, he STILL wears those shirts and hats! He's all about representing the fire department!
ry%3D400

Look, he's got one in red too! So funny!
ry%3D400

Oh, here's all of us!!
ry%3D400

I love looking at these pictures because they were from soooo long ago. We are all completely different people...but so much is still the same!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Okay, I have to stop or else I'll be posting old pictures all night!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter