No character "test" during Tink 5K and 10K.

For those who have done Disney races in the past - if they did get rid of characters - what would keep you doing the races? I'm just curious to see what people feel the benefits are. Thanks!

I don't think I would keep spending the money if there are no characters.I did not stop during this year's princess half because my goal was just to finish but I did enjoy seeing the people pose and have fun as I passed by. It's something that kept me motivated to keep going to see who was the next one was on the course. My pace has picked up and I plan on stopping for rare characters if they still have them for the 2018 FTC.

I have ran two RunDisney Halfs. I do not stop for characters along the course. At least for those two. However, the best part of the race is seeing all of the random entertainment and characters along the course. Especially, when you are already paying a large premium for this type of race. I am doing the Wine and Dine and Full Marathon. I do plan on stopping for a pair of two specific characters and will be disappointed not to see them and that is Darkwing Duck and Launchpad. So, crossing my fingers that they do not cut this down.

So, last year didn't have much either, so is this year really different so far? I haven't done Tink ever so clueless & just reading what everyone says.
So I don't stop much and may have missed one but I remember one selfie stop (much closer than this year's) on the 5k, two stops on the 10k, and three on the half? I could have missed one though.

The point is, it's not unique to Disney to run these races, so you won't get a lot of local money pumped into the runs. It's tourist money, like virtually all of us here, that's pumping these races. Hotels, food, transportation, it's a lot of money flying around, and if people stop coming, it will hurt things and not just rD registration fees.
Oh absolutely. I'm from the region as well and Broad St. is a tradition. While it's known nationally for being one of the largest races in the U.S. it's generally more of a local tradition, unlike runDisney which aims to get tourists to spend more money at Disney.

Yeah, I got the "safety is our #1 concern" line. :rolleyes:
At least they were consistent with their responses this time. :rotfl2:
FWIW, I totally forgot that the race volunteers are hired and aren't "volunteers" as normal. I personally didn't see any issues with that. :confused3
Good to know. I forgot about that part but had wondered how that would play out.
Yeah, I got the "safety is our #1 concern" line. :rolleyes:
At least they were consistent
Final count:
- 4 definite stops with PhotoPass (Hook/Smee, Goofy/Pluto switching out with Donald, McQueen/Mater, Chip & Dale)
- 3 selfie stops, all Lost Boys
- 1 that I think was supposed to be a selfie stop but wasn't (Peter/Wendy - no PhotoPass or CM taking pictures but runners waited in line and took pics for one another)

Seemed like there were more runDisney staffers on the course than I remember from other races...not sure why.

Very happy with today's race!
I feel like that's even more than last year? Good stuff.

^^yes. Last year for 5K was Peter/Wendy and Hook/Smee as real
Photo stops. 10K was 3 stops, all of them were fairies.

Wow. I disappear for literally a week and all hell breaks loose at rD! I am glad they brought characters back out on the 10k course. I literally was stunned about the 5k change. And it does make a difference to this runDisney runner. To give you perspective, I've run 6 runDis half marathons, 3 10ks and 1 5k over the last 5 years. I'm currently signed up for 2 more halfs and a 5k. I give runDisney WAY too much of my discretionary funds but I've always felt it worth it.

Personally, I have only stopped 2x for characters during a half marathon. My first half I stopped at mile 10, once I felt really comfortable I would be able to finish. And it was a very short line. And worth it. My second half, I stopped twice, and regretted the first b/c I never did get going properly again. Both of those were during Wine & Dine races. I have not stopped for any characters during California halfs, or at Princess because I know I can't wait in lines that long and get my body going again for the duration of a half. But a 10k, or a 5k, I can run much faster and don't crash by doing so because it's a shorter course. This is all because I have taken the time to train and see what I can handle, which is my responsibility to do. If I end up not finishing (like I almost didn't finish my 2nd half), whether because I didn't leave enough time or because I felt sick after stopping momentum, that's on me.

Anyhow - I have been waiting to find out what's going on with Lightside so that I could register myself, DH and DS for the 5k (along with my half). If they aren't going to have characters, I really don't think that we will haul ourselves across the country. We MIGHT because DS really enjoyed just running in backstage Disneyland and would do anything for a vacation to DL. But having the pictures of my family running the Avengers 5k last year was amazing. We stopped for 3 of the 4 stops, and I know we waited in significant lines and it was ridiculous in a way. But it was REALLY REALLY FUN. And I got to do something with my DS and my dad which I never thought we would do otherwise (run a race together).

And that brings me to my point. I give runDisney so much credit for helping people get off the couch and move. A LOT of people who would never have even thought of running. Myself included. For some it is just going to WDW. For some it's the medal. For some it's running backstage. But for many, it's the character photos they see online and of their friends. So for the sake of health benefits, I hope Disney keeps characters going forward! As many have said, there are so many ways they could improve the flow (more characters, different pace limits to encourage training, signs of upcoming characters, advance knowledge so people can plan which ones to stop at, guidance about pacing yourself properly if you plan to stop and considering limiting the number of your stops, etc). But taking them away entirely was just plain dumb.

Oh - one more thing. At Star Wars Lightside 10k 2016 there were storm troopers out that weren't an official character stop. They were behind a low iron fence and lots of people ran by taking selfies. At Avengers 5k 2016, Spidey was up on the train station (not really selfie but you could snap a pic while running by). Adding some of these non-interactive ones along with actual stops, would be fine with me.

I have ran two RunDisney Halfs. I do not stop for characters along the course. At least for those two. However, the best part of the race is seeing all of the random entertainment and characters along the course. Especially, when you are already paying a large premium for this type of race. I am doing the Wine and Dine and Full Marathon. I do plan on stopping for a pair of two specific characters and will be disappointed not to see them and that is Darkwing Duck and Launchpad. So, crossing my fingers that they do not cut this down.

I know my time is already going to be slow, so I shouldn't do character pictures and risk getting swept in an "unsweepable" race :D. However, having the characters there is enough to keep me going and wondering who's next?

For those who have done Disney races in the past - if they did get rid of characters - what would keep you doing the races? I'm just curious to see what people feel the benefits are. Thanks!

I could not care less about the characters, at least from a picture perspective. I'm there to run a race, not stop for pictures. It is nice to have them on the side cheering but I would have no problem with them going away as a photo opportunity personally.

I run Disney races to run through the parks and do a race as part of a vacation, not for pictures. That being said I know a lot of people do like the photos so I think the announcement to remove them has to be made before anyone registers for the race. If the registration has begun it should be assumed at least some of the runners registered with the understanding that there would be character photo opportunities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter