No character "test" during Tink 5K and 10K.

Final count:
- 4 definite stops with PhotoPass (Hook/Smee, Goofy/Pluto switching out with Donald, McQueen/Mater, Chip & Dale)
- 3 selfie stops, all Lost Boys
- 1 that I think was supposed to be a selfie stop but wasn't (Peter/Wendy - no PhotoPass or CM taking pictures but runners waited in line and took pics for one another)

Seemed like there were more runDisney staffers on the course than I remember from other races...not sure why.

Very happy with today's race!

Last edited:
Final count:
4 definite stops with PhotoPass (Hook/Smee, Goofy/Pluto switching out with Donald, McQueen/Mater)
3 selfie stops, all Lost Boys
1 that I think was supposed to be a selfie stop but wasn't (Peter/Wendy - no PhotoPass or CM taking pictures but runners waited in line and took pics for one another)

Seemed like there was more runDisney staff on course than I remember from other races...not sure why.

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing!

Final count:
- 4 definite stops with PhotoPass (Hook/Smee, Goofy/Pluto switching out with Donald, McQueen/Mater, Chip & Dale)
- 3 selfie stops, all Lost Boys
- 1 that I think was supposed to be a selfie stop but wasn't (Peter/Wendy - no PhotoPass or CM taking pictures but runners waited in line and took pics for one another)

Seemed like there were more runDisney staffers on the course than I remember from other races...not sure why.

So glad to read this! and reporting while running you rock!

I know, It's surprising, but I guess some people think their chip magically stops timing when in lines for characters or bathrooms.

Ah, the bathroom. I managed to totally forget that pausing my Garmin wouldn't stop time WDW Half 2014. But then I was ridiculously sick at the time LOL.

A 1-day hopper at either DLR or WDW, peak, is $174, a 1-day base at DLR or MK is $124 (plus tax, but that doesn't matter here).

Going with your rate of working 12 hours at $13/hour, that's $156. If the volunteer ticket is no longer a hopper, then the money is a better deal, before taxes. Of course, with a ticket, you get it right there, and can use it that day. This money, you may have to wait a couple of weeks.

That's what the temp gets from the agency, Disney is paying the temp agency probably 17 to 20 bucks an hour for that temp. That's how the temp agency makes their money. Having been in temp jobs where I was responsible for opening the mail it was always surprising how much the company paid vs what I got. Even with the tickets in the equation, which while "free" per se, I'm sure the ticketing department charges RD something for them, they are spending more with temps.

That's what the temp gets from the agency, Disney is paying the temp agency probably 17 to 20 bucks an hour for that temp. That's how the temp agency makes their money. Having been in temp jobs where I was responsible for opening the mail it was always surprising how much the company paid vs what I got. Even with the tickets in the equation, which while "free" per se, I'm sure the ticketing department charges RD something for them, they are spending more with temps.

Curiouser and curiouser. Everytime I think I got a hold on this, turns out that my estimates don't go down the rabbit hole deep enough. Each counter example I get only goes deeper into Wonderland.

My only thought is that wages are put on the ledger before profits are calculated, and thereby, not subject to rD's income tax. Theme park tickets to volunteers would be considered gifts, and thereby the costs would be subtracted after profits and income tax are calculated.

There's almost no way California's base income tax rate is 51% is it? It's the only way this would make sense fiscally.

There have been rumblings over the last few years that race organizations were going to have to start paying their volunteers an hourly wage. I know the last time we volunteered at RnR PDX that the RnR volunteer coordinators were discussing it.

There have been rumblings over the last few years that race organizations were going to have to start paying their volunteers an hourly wage. I know the last time we volunteered at RnR PDX that the RnR volunteer coordinators were discussing it.

For profit companies in California have a series of hoops to jump through to allow volunteer labor to be used - its generally not allowed, and seeing as the races generate profit, its even harder

I am pretty sure they had them posted for both Star Wars 5k races at Disneyland (the past two years). I remember seeing actual wait times for BB8 and the droids and being like "you've got to be kidding me." I feel like the wait times were around 30-45 minutes. Maybe it was just a cast member yelling it out, but I remember seeing/hearing a hard number.

I've never seen waits posted at WDW or DL races, but for both coasts I've seen cast members at the end of the line advising runners of the approximate wait time so you can make an educated decision about whether or not to wait.

I hope the W&D 5k has character stops! I loved them last year (although I skipped the longest line because I was conscious about my time).
For this year, my best friend is joining me, and I'm pretty sure the only way I convinced her was by showing her all of those character pics. I'll have some explaining to do if I got her into this and there are no characters! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter