No Lids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they will provide lids on request? My husband has Parkinson's and not having a lid won't end well for him. I guess we'll have to look into bringing something with us that will work for him or just get a bottled drink (which is also difficult for him to open).

I wonder if they will provide lids on request? My husband has Parkinson's and not having a lid won't end well for him. I guess we'll have to look into bringing something with us that will work for him or just get a bottled drink (which is also difficult for him to open).
The article did say that people with special needs will be accommodated. I think your son would qualify considering he has parkinsons.

And there it is...
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...reduction-of-straws-and-bags-eliminates-lids/

I know there was a lot of discussion and question on if/what kind of lid Disney would offer when they do their "go green" initiative and those who were concerned that no lid would be provided seem to have had good reason to worry and they were right.

By next week Disney will eliminate offering lids at Disneyland and will only provide plastic straws when requested. It's only a matter of time before this starts at WDW.

This is frustrating for us. We have kids and honestly just much prefer straws and lids and I cant imagine how many spills will be happening now.

I'm not against the environment or anything, but I also dont feel the very small realistic impact this may have on pollution (not to mention the fact that it's 100% only to save money for Disney) balances out the inconvenience for customers...and yes I know there are TONS of posters who dont mind, think this is great, dont like lids/straws anyways, but for the rest of us...argh.
And you can't bring your own straws why?

And you can't bring your own straws why?
You can solve the straw problem by bringing your own. The lack of a lid is a bigger issue for many since whatever you bring from home won't necessarily fit.

This whole war on the straw is one of the dumbest things I've seen. Starbucks got rid of their straws, but a simple bit of calculations showed they were actually using more plastic with their new lid setup. In the US we have very good waste disposal, most of the junk you find in the ocean is not coming from the US, so once again we're trying to punish ourselves for something we're not causing.

Finally maybe what Disney should take a lesson from Chick-fil-A and how they recycle their Styrofoam cups. If Disney really wants to do something, then try something like that.

We bring reusable cups or bottles into the parks anyways. Those stainless steel ones that keep ice for hours are the best. Then you just dump your drink into it
Now that is 100% a complete waste! My issue with all of this is they are removing an aspect of customer service. No lid? Really? Sure serve it without a lid and put them in a dispenser, if I don't want one I won't take it. Right there it will reduce the use. If I am sitting down I often don't need/want a lid, but for kids they 100% need one. If I am walking around, or anyone else is, I want a lid as I don't want to step in that puddle of Coke.

You can solve the straw problem by bringing your own. The lack of a lid is a bigger issue for many since whatever you bring from home won't necessarily fit.
You know I've actually purchased a few things of straws just for this reason, and to tick off the dolts in Seattle next time I'm forced to visit.

I prefer the bottle but I do like to have a straw so that soda and stuff won't stain my teeth. I guess they will be selling the plastic crazy straws for $10 now.

I shouldn't have to bring a cup to a theme park that they can not fill do to sanitary reasons (Very understandable) just for them to hand me a cup that I then have to poor into my own cup and then throw it away and walk around with my own cup all day after I am finished with my beverage.

I'm sure they will be glad to sell all the guests some of the souvenir mugs. Buy your drink in the lidless cup and pour it into the lidded souvenir mug.

I was at the Bronx Zoo recently, and they are a huge supporter of the ban on plastic straws.
Guess what I got with my drink? A straw. A paper straw.
There are other options, but it's going to take a little while for companies to figure out how to fill the void or for customers to adapt (like bringing their own reusable straws)

I was at the Bronx Zoo recently, and they are a huge supporter of the ban on plastic straws.
Guess what I got with my drink? A straw. A paper straw.
There are other options, but it's going to take a little while for companies to figure out how to fill the void or for customers to adapt (like bringing their own reusable straws)
Disney knows about paper straws. They use them at AK.

We have no one in our party who has a disability so not sure if it will make a difference but when we have asked for lids (yesterday at cosmic rays and today’s at Rosie’s cafe) we were told that none were available.

I definitely fall into ‘I want a lid camp’ - the cups are too unstable without and dd isn’t a fast drinker so I like to be able to take her drink with us. Both times we threw 3/4 of her drink away as didn’t want to carry it around without a lid!

They have lids still freely available at our resort. I’ve taken a few to see us through tomorrow !! I don’t want to be walking round world showcase sloshing Coke Zero on everyone !!

They have lids still freely available at our resort. I’ve taken a few to see us through tomorrow !! I don’t want to be walking round world showcase sloshing Coke Zero on everyone !!
I'm hoping the resorts still have them next week....so ridiculous we need to hoard some from the resort and carry them to the parks, but that's MUCH better than no lids. Thx!

I'll probably stop buying soda and go with the free ice water. Spilled water dries without being sticky.

Yup kinda a plus for me. No more soda = saving money and drinking healthier. Just going to take our water bottle that keeps cool a long time and pour their ice water into it. Win - Win for me.

Easy enough to bring your own cups and pour your drink in.

I just ordered To Go Cups for our family and reusable straws from Go Sili/Sili Kids. Free shipping over $30 and 10% off first order with sigining up for their email.

No, I don't work for them or represent them or get any kind of benefit for sharing.

I've seen them recommended on a lot of mom blogs.

I'm hoping the resorts still have them next week....so ridiculous we need to hoard some from the resort and carry them to the parks, but that's MUCH better than no lids. Thx!
not all lids work on all cups so the ones at resort may not fit cups in parks.

That's an interesting point. Plenty of people buy for several people and take it back to the room. I wonder if their intention is to discontinue those as well.
not all lids work on all cups so the ones at resort may not fit cups in parks.
They don't. But my money is on Disney keeping them pretty uniform since they order in such massive quantities and get the benefit of scale on cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter