*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

Thank you for the reply, this answers my question perfectly! I was thinking about Maxpass actually as there's a group of one! But I see that it all works the same way anyway.

Just remember that if you are trying to stack later reservations, you still have to wait 90 minutes with MaxPass or 2 hours with manual FastPass before you will be able to get your next FPs. And being in different parks makes no difference: the whole thing runs on one system.

As far as FP goes, am I understanding that you can get another FP (either kiosk 120mins or MP 90mins) after I've obtained one, so I have to wait to get another one for 120/90mins or when I've used up the one I have? I'm a little confused about stacking if you have to wait that time to get another one or until you've rode?

As far as FP goes, am I understanding that you can get another FP (either kiosk 120mins or MP 90mins) after I've obtained one, so I have to wait to get another one for 120/90mins or when I've used up the one I have? I'm a little confused about stacking if you have to wait that time to get another one or until you've rode?
Read the first post in this thread. Skygirl lays it all out! https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/

From the first post:
When are you eligible to book that next FP? In general, it's as soon as a FP window opens (note: NOT when you use the FP! If the window opens at 9:20, you can book at 9:20 whether you've used it or not). There's also a 90 minute "maximum" wait for Maxpass (2 hours without Maxpass) and a 30 minute "minimum" wait (unless you use the FP first). For more detailed information, see this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/

From the "more detailed information" that you the above quote directs you to:

1. The "general" rule is that soon as a FP window opens, you can pull a new one. If you pull a FP at 10:00 with a return window of 10:45-11:45, you can pull your next one at 10:45.

2. There is a maximum wait time of 90 minutes with Maxpass and 2 hours with regular FP. So if you pull a FP at 10:00 with a return time of 2:30-3:30, the "maximum" rule comes into play and you can pull a new one at 11:30 with MP or 12:00 with regular FP.

3. There is a minimum wait time of 30 minutes UNLESS you scan in and use the FP before that. So if you pull a FP at 10:00 and the return window is 10:15-11:15, you can pull a new one at 10:30 OR scan in at 10:15 and then immediately pull a new one. This is obviously most efficient with Maxpass, but we did it today with a runner using regular FP and it also worked.

*Note that there is a "5 minute early" grace period, so in option 1 above, you could scan in at 10:40 and then pull a new one, or for option 3, you could scan in at 10:10 and do the same thing.

**Also note that you can't hold two FP for the SAME ride simultaneously. You MAY scan the FP and then immediately pull another one for the same ride, though.

Happy line-skipping!

Is this what you were asking about, or was your question about something else?

I did read it or I wouldn’t have asked. It says one thing but in the thread it talks about waiting?
Okay... well, the maximum time you would have to wait is 120/90 minutes, but there are a lot of exceptions to that as Skygirl explained. For example, you can get a new FP when your return window opens on the last FP, even if you haven’t used it yet. That’s how you “stack”. Like:

At 9:00 am, you get a FP for 9:30-10:30.
At 9:30, you can get another FP, even if you didn’t use the first one yet.
If the second FP is for 10:00-11:00, you could get your third FP starting at 10:00, even if you haven’t used either of the first two.

Does that help? There are also some other exceptions in Skygirl’s post.

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Okay... well, the maximum time you would have to wait is 120/90 minutes, but there are a lot of exceptions to that as Skygirl explained. For example, you can get a new FP when your return window opens on the last FP, even if you haven’t used it yet. That’s how you “stack”. Like:

At 9:00 am, you get a FP for 9:30-10:30.
At 9:30, you can get another FP, even if you didn’t use the first one yet.
If the second FP is for 10:00-11:00, you could get your third FP starting at 10:00, even if you haven’t used either of the first two.

Does that help? There are also some other exceptions in Skygirl’s post.

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Just adding on to this: and the exception to this is if you want to hold more than one FP for the same ride.
For example, if the 9:00 am FP you have is for SM with a return window of 9:30-10:30 am, you cannot grab a second SM FP once your window opens at 9:30 am. You'll have to scan in at the ride's FP return line first, then you can grab another SM FP while you are going through the line -- the general rule being that you need to use the FP you have for a particular ride before grabbing another FP for the same ride.

Hello,
Going on my own mid-December, first time I've been back in 15 years!
Would you recommend MaxPass to me or do you think I would be okay due to single rider etc?
Thanks!

We've had solo travelers use MP and love it. And we've had solo travelers use regular FP and do just fine, too. It all depends on the park conditions on the day you visit, i.e. you might not even need MP if the park isn't that busy. Not all rides have SR lines and the ones that do don't always have them open, e.g. Space Mt. But SR and MP can work really well together. Read through this thread that your post is in (Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy) for great MP/FP information and strategy.

Hello,
Going on my own mid-December, first time I've been back in 15 years!
Would you recommend MaxPass to me or do you think I would be okay due to single rider etc?
Thanks!
How many days are you visiting? I probably wouldn’t buy it in advance since you can always add it once you’re there. If it’s busy and would be helpful, you can just add it on, at least for a day or two. But there’s no reason to lock yourself into it for your whole trip if you’re trying to be budget-conscious...

Just adding on to this: and the exception to this is if you want to hold more than one FP for the same ride.
For example, if the 9:00 am FP you have is for SM with a return window of 9:30-10:30 am, you cannot grab a second SM FP once your window opens at 9:30 am. You'll have to scan in at the ride's FP return line first, then you can grab another SM FP while you are going through the line -- the general rule being that you need to use the FP you have for a particular ride before grabbing another FP for the same ride.

Does the rule apply even if you alternate between rides, for example when I’m stacking and if I were to pull a FP for SM then Indy- I could not pull another FP for SM if I hadn’t used the first one that I had pulled before Indy ?Thanks

Does the rule apply even if you alternate between rides, for example when I’m stacking and if I were to pull a FP for SM then Indy- I could not pull another FP for SM if I hadn’t used the first one that I had pulled before Indy ?Thanks
No, this is only referencing pulling a FP for a ride you already have a FP for. The OP gives some examples of stacking FPs that might be helpful for you.

How many days are you visiting? I probably wouldn’t buy it in advance since you can always add it once you’re there. If it’s busy and would be helpful, you can just add it on, at least for a day or two. But there’s no reason to lock yourself into it for your whole trip if you’re trying to be budget-conscious...

That's a good idea..
I get there on a Tuesday eve so was planning on getting an evening ticket and then two full days on Weds/Thurs after that (one day per park).

That's a good idea..
I get there on a Tuesday eve so was planning on getting an evening ticket and then two full days on Weds/Thurs after that (one day per park).
Are you attending a convention? There are no twilight/evening tickets at DLR unless they are offered through a convention (and you'd have to buy them through the convention). So an "evening ticket" would be a full price ticket. You might think about doing Tuesday evening in DTD, maybe with a character dinner at Goofy's Kitchen in the DLH, then doing your next 2 days with park hoppers, if the budget allows. Just a thought.
If you haven't already seen it, this classic thread has great information for you: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Are you attending a convention? There are no twilight/evening tickets at DLR unless they are offered through a convention (and you'd have to buy them through the convention). So an "evening ticket" would be a full price ticket. You might think about doing Tuesday evening in DTD, maybe with a character dinner at Goofy's Kitchen in the DLH, then doing your next 2 days with park hoppers, if the budget allows. Just a thought.
If you haven't already seen it, this classic thread has great information for you: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

oh no! i thought they had evening tickets like disneyland tokyo! :( that would be a big waste of money as I won't be getting to the park until 6pm-ish.
Yes i'll do DTD and probably a cocktail at Trader Sam's! I will be flying in from UK so will be quite tired!

thanks for the tip on the thread- I definitely qualify as a WDW vet!

I am probably going to be heading to Disneyland Wednesday afternoon when I finish up a meeting in LA. It is very up in the air, though, and I will not be arriving until mid-to-late afternoon. Would you all recommend MaxPass for someone in my shoes?

That's a good idea..

If you were staying 3 or 4 days then adding an additional day to your ticket to spend the afternoon/evening you arrive in the Parks isn't such a bad deal (25.00 more for a 4th day and 15.00 for the 5th), but paying 75.00 extra to go from a 2 to 3 day ticket isn't near as economical. We usually add the extra day onto our 3 or 4 day trips and that first night helps us slow everything down and not feel like we have to rush so much to get everything in the rest of the trip.

Question: We are getting 4-day Park hoppers, and plan to be in the parks 3.5 days. We arrive at the hotel around noon on Day 1, so we could get to the parks around 2 (assuming all goes well- I don’t really trust the airline right now, but it was them or 2+ connections and twice the cost).

Do you think we should just wait and purchase MP day-by-day, or should we just spring for the whole trip? I’m tempted to do day-by-day, but I want to make sure it runs smoothly as well. Anyone do this before?

ETA: just to check, if we did day-to-day, would we still get photos on the days we did MPs?

Question: We are getting 4-day Park hoppers, and plan to be in the parks 3.5 days. We arrive at the hotel around noon on Day 1, so we could get to the parks around 2 (assuming all goes well- I don’t really trust the airline right now, but it was them or 2+ connections and twice the cost).

Do you think we should just wait and purchase MP day-by-day, or should we just spring for the whole trip? I’m tempted to do day-by-day, but I want to make sure it runs smoothly as well. Anyone do this before?

ETA: just to check, if we did day-to-day, would we still get photos on the days we did MPs?
I'd go day-by-day, to be honest, because you won't know what it will look like until you get there. It may be you can just pull a couple of paper fastpasses for your first afternoon, and then do MaxPass for your three full days.
And yes, you will get photos for every day you purchase MP. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter