• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more bags

I think it all boils down to convenience, and how Disney Parks (and theme parks in general) are different from supermarkets and other large stores. Likewise, there's also the question about balancing convenience and conservation, particularly in the current enviropolitical climate where we're grappling with the need to mitigate destructive waste and how our recycling systems badly need improvement, not to mention how science needs to come up with what I term the 'Goldilocks solution', where there's a truly environmentally-friendly solution that would please both sides.
Science is obviously not there yet for the masses so we are with reusable bags for now. As time moves things evolve and change. Disney gives people tons of options that other parks or entertainment venues don't necessarily give. I think it would be okay if they got rid of plastic bags altogether.

I am interested in the impact as well; don't quite know what my opinion on it yet. Regardless I would have to say Disney is doing it at the right time if they were going to do it. Star Wars will serve as quite the distraction to a lot of folks I'm thinking.
Speaking of Star Wars how will that be serviced? I doubt they will sell the DHS reusable bag in Batuu (although apparently they have them at Windtraders in Pandora).

I get that. Just think its just a bag so no big deal and a little confused why some are a little worked up about it. Attractions going away, declines in quality, etc is different.
Well I'm like that to just on other topics for sure don't get me wrong I get ya there. I think it was the 'ruin vacation' thing I was more talking about. A hurricane didn't ruin my vacation; it's hard to imagine a reusable bag will but I still can be annoyed at what they are doing and discuss it.

Science is obviously not there yet for the masses so we are with reusable bags for now. As time moves things evolve and change. Disney gives people tons of options that other parks or entertainment venues don't necessarily give. I think it would be okay if they got rid of plastic bags altogether.
Or at least did a SeaWorld and charged a very small fee for the bags, even though theirs is paper and Disney's is plastic, but either way, it would still result in something positive. Perhaps Disney could also look to beefing up their plastic bags to reusable thickness like what DLP have already done so that they're more reusable, and everyone gets a reusable option that suits every budget.

I get that. Just think its just a bag so no big deal and a little confused why some are a little worked up about it. Attractions going away, declines in quality, etc is different.
Yes and no! Many attractions that have gone away are ones I think should have; you probably think differently in most cases. Declines in quality are subjective as well. All of these things are as @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson said: a matter of opinion. They're all legitimate for a discussion board, and different things bug different people. And I'd venture that NONE of them ruin someone's vacation... and certainly no one said the bag issue did.

Speaking of Star Wars how will that be serviced? I doubt they will sell the DHS reusable bag in Batuu (although apparently they have them at Windtraders in Pandora).
Uhh..I don't know you bring up a great point. I could see canvas-style bag (I have the image in my head can't quite get it into words) or something more immersive than the reusable totes. But then again on the going green initiative is canvas considered underneath that? What other materials could be used that would be 'in character' so to speak for Star Wars and yet go along with the reduction program?

Or at least did a SeaWorld and charged a very small fee for the bags, even though theirs is paper and Disney's is plastic, but either way, it would still result in something positive. Perhaps Disney could also look to beefing up their plastic bags to reusable thickness like what DLP have already done so that they're more reusable, and everyone gets a reusable option that suits every budget.
I find Disney plastic bags to be reusable already. More than most grocery stores at least. That "beefing" up also costs Disney more which is where they would rather sell the reusable totes instead.

Yes and no! Many attractions that have gone away are ones I think should have; you probably think differently in most cases. Declines in quality are subjective as well. All of these things are as @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson said: a matter of opinion. They're all legitimate for a discussion board, and different things bug different people.
Of course everyones opinions are different. I just don't really understand why the bags are an issue when they have so many options for guests. Just my take and I completely understand people have a differing opinion.

Uhh..I don't know you bring up a great point. I could see canvas-style bag (I have the image in my head can't quite get it into words) or something more immersive than the reusable totes. But then again on the going green initiative is canvas considered underneath that? What other materials could be used that would be 'in character' so to speak for Star Wars and yet go along with the reduction program?
Pandora did "themed" plastic bags. I think a themed paper bag or something like you mentioned could work but then will that be a cost or included?

Of course everyones opinions are different. I just don't really understand why the bags are an issue when they have so many options for guests. Just my take and I completely understand people have a differing opinion.
Gotcha'! There are plenty of things that people go on for pages about on boards that I don't think are even in the neighborhood of a big deal. As I often say, "Vive la différence!" :D

I find Disney plastic bags to be reusable already. More than most grocery stores at least. That "beefing" up also costs Disney more which is where they would rather sell the reusable totes instead.
It doesn't necessarily, especially since both the US Parks bags and the DLP bags are made by the same company in Germany, which also manufactures the reusable bags the supermarkets here in the UK sell. However, while the DLP bags use 50µm (1.97mil) thickness, a hypothetical beefed-up US Parks bag would have to use the California reference thickness of 2.25mil (57.15µm)

Pandora did "themed" plastic bags. I think a themed paper bag or something like you mentioned could work but then will that be a cost or included?
It's something to think about. I wouldn't blame them for charging for them and I have to imagine (though I could be totally wrong) that they would be slightly more than these ones they've released but would that be a detail they think would break from the theming or not I guess is the question. I know they were super careful about Pandora I would imagine they're even more careful about Star Wars.

It's something to think about. I wouldn't blame them for charging for them and I have to imagine (though I could be totally wrong) that they would be slightly more than these ones they've released but would that be a detail they think would break from the theming or not I guess is the question. I know they were super careful about Pandora I would imagine they're even more careful about Star Wars.
I love the unique situation Pandora has, since their plastic bags do look beautiful, and does break the monotony of the Castle bags that have now been in use for years. However, I have seen the AK reusable bags on the same news site, and much to my disappointment, there's not going to be a Pandora version, which is very surprising.

As I mentioned in the news thread; Pandora has reusables already and has had them about a year or so. I have one in the trunk of my car that gets used for various things. Here's an article that shows them; Pandoran Bag. Right now they only have one size.

I wish they would make the reusable polyester bags that fold into a tiny pouch, like the LOQI bags found in museum stores. Imagine the art they could put on those!
I still want them to offer plastic bags into the future, but I do like these types of reusables. I have a few that I bought from the Container Store that I leave in purses just in case. They are CONVENIENT in that they fold up to something very tiny. Not so with these bulky -- however cute -- reusables Disney is introducing.

As I've mentioned before, I've lived in places with limited plastic bags since I was a kid. What works for grocery shopping at home doesn't work -- FOR ME -- in a theme park. But those fold-to-something-tiny reusables would at least be closer to the mark.

ETA: Like these... https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/prep-gadgets-accessories/elephant-in-the-room-stash-it-reusable-bag/12d?productId=11007871&theme=reusable shopping bags&pos=4

And they don't have to be that expensive either... there are 5 for $15... https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Reusable-Shopping-Eco-Friendly-Waterproof/dp/B077N47LJH

I still want them to offer plastic bags into the future, but I do like these types of reusables. I have a few that I bought from the Container Store that I leave in purses just in case. They are CONVENIENT in that they fold up to something very tiny. Not so with these bulky -- however cute -- reusables Disney is introducing.

As I've mentioned before, I've lived in places with limited plastic bags since I was a kid. What works for grocery shopping at home doesn't work -- FOR ME -- in a theme park. But those fold-to-something-tiny reusables would at least be closer to the mark.

ETA: Like these... https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/prep-gadgets-accessories/elephant-in-the-room-stash-it-reusable-bag/12d?productId=11007871&theme=reusable shopping bags&pos=4

And they don't have to be that expensive either... there are 5 for $15... https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Reusable-Shopping-Eco-Friendly-Waterproof/dp/B077N47LJH
Disney did used to do them years ago. However, I doubt they'd be bringing them back because of how manufacturing methods would preclude containing PCR content, hence why there's those RPET bags.

Disney did used to do them years ago. However, I doubt they'd be bringing them back because of how manufacturing methods would preclude containing PCR content, hence why there's those RPET bags.
Something I wish more policymakers et al pondered: The perfect is the enemy of the good... ;)

Apparently, now I'm hearing that they're only phasing out the Castle bags and replacing them with see-through bags made of sugar cane. Although they are greener, I don't like how they look too austere, and I seriously hope they still have the usual bags by March, especially because I'm really keen on getting those beautiful Pandora ones. Even in TDR, they also use sugar cane bioplastic, yet they can still have fancy designs on them, despite their dubious practice of dishing out bags with bags. Has austere bags become the trend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter