• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No More Kleenex In Canada - And a Poll!

Do You Refer to All Facial Tissue as "Kleenex"?

• Yes - Anything I blow my nose on is a Kleenex

Votes: 73 53.3%
  • No - I refer to all of them, including Kleenex brand as Tissues

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I don't buy Kleenex/Facial Tissue for my home.

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.3%

• Total voters
ETA: We use Kleenex, BandAids, Jello, Tums, Dockers, Popsicles, Vaseline, etc. Usually the store brand!

Facial tissue, bandages, gelatin, antacids, khakis, Popsicles, petroleum jelly. Strangely enough there's no acceptable substitute for "Popsicle".

My parents are strangely fixated on several brand names and use them as generic names. in particular, they use "Ajax" for any scouring powder even though they buy Comet more than any other brand.

I generally said Kleenex more when I was younger and tissue more as I got older.

I’m one of those who wouldn’t buy them at all if I lived on my own. I rarely use them. I probably need to blow my nose less than once a year on average. When my son gets sick though, he goes through dozens of Kleenex/tissues!

It's always Kleenex to everyone in my area, I'm 15 miles from K-C Corporate headquarters and they are a huge employer in the area. I wonder what taxes Canada is adding to make this decision fiscally responsible for the company.

Facial tissue, bandages, gelatin, antacids, khakis, Popsicles, petroleum jelly. Strangely enough there's no acceptable substitute for "Popsicle".

My parents are strangely fixated on several brand names and use them as generic names. in particular, they use "Ajax" for any scouring powder even though they buy Comet more than any other brand.
You could go with ice pop if you’re feeling particularly pedantic about it. Do you really say “please grab me a facial tissue”? Funny thing about the scouring powder - I’d call it all Comet, no matter what brand, and I think everybody would know what I meant.

You could go with ice pop if you’re feeling particularly pedantic about it. Do you really say “please grab me a facial tissue”? Funny thing about the scouring powder - I’d call it all Comet, no matter what brand, and I think everybody would know what I meant.

If I said Bon Ami, I don't think they'd know what I was talking about.

I still say Kleenex even if it's a different brand. I'm actually annoyed with Kleenex leaving Canada, they are my go to brand. I don't like Scotties 😈 I guess I'll be back to buying Presidents Choice 3 ply, I find them better quality than other name brand tissues except for Kleenex

I still say Kleenex even if it's a different brand. I'm actually annoyed with Kleenex leaving Canada, they are my go to brand. I don't like Scotties 😈 I guess I'll be back to buying Presidents Choice 3 ply, I find them better quality than other name brand tissues except for Kleenex

I'm thinking there might be a cottage industry of gray market Kleenex, although who knows if there Canadian production was different. There are likely going to be imports of American Kleenex as well as people just stocking up near the border. And as long as it's marked as being made/assembled in the United States, it shouldn't be subject to any Canadian import duties as long as it's for "personal use".

I'm thinking there might be a cottage industry of gray market Kleenex, although who knows if there Canadian production was different. There are likely going to be imports of American Kleenex as well as people just stocking up near the border. And as long as it's marked as being made/assembled in the United States, it shouldn't be subject to any Canadian import duties as long as it's for "personal use".
I don't go down to WA much to shop (we live quite close to the border) as of late since our $ is still gross. The price in US$ would have to be VERY good to get me to buy them to make it worth it :rotfl2:

I don't go down to WA much to shop (we live quite close to the border) as of late since our $ is still gross. The price in US$ would have to be VERY good to get me to buy them to make it worth it :rotfl2:

A Costco membership should be good.

Strangely enough, Canadian virgin softwood pulp is the preferred material for making high quality facial tissue and TP. Of course that's not without controversy. But when my Kleenex label says that it's made in the US of domestic and imported materials, wood pulp from Canada was probably the imported material.

I call them all Kleenex. We usually buy generic versions. Use to buy pack from Costco but less in the house we just get a couple from Walmart.

If I said Bon Ami, I don't think they'd know what I was talking about.
Bon Ami here is an aerosol, foamy window cleaner. Works like the bomb. :thumbsup2 I've never heard of Bon Ami scouring powder but if you use a lot of that type of thing, Barkeeper's Friend cannot be beat.
Do they market Royale in BC? It's the one with the white kittens on the package. I like them best of all.
1693266429829.png

Bon Ami here is an aerosol, foamy window cleaner. Works like the bomb. :thumbsup2 I've never heard of Bon Ami scouring powder but if you use a lot of that type of thing, Barkeeper's Friend cannot be beat.

Bon Ami may have been the first scouring powder on the market that wasn't like sandpaper. But it may not be like other scouring powders that contain some sort of chemical bleach.

Bon_Ami_14oz_Martha-Stewart_Packaging-526x1024.png

Comet is an oddball brand since P&G divested it. But apparently not in the professional cleaning market.

shopping

I came from a family that always called it Kleenex, so I did as well. By middle school, my classmates tended to say tissue and I switched over to that in the interest of accuracy. Now, I probably use the terms interchangeably. I don’t buy it, though. Sorry @ronandannette, you’ll have to go to the bathroom and use toilet paper when you’re here! ;)

I'll be the first to 'fess up that we just use toilet paper to blow noses. Not sure why. I think I just don't want the burden of keeping the house stocked with an additional product. I do keep the cotton face pads on hand for facial needs or polish removal.

If a guest asks for a tissue, they are offered a paper napkin. Classy 🤣

I came from a family that always called it Kleenex, so I did as well. By middle school, my classmates tended to say tissue and I switched over to that in the interest of accuracy. Now, I probably use the terms interchangeably. I don’t buy it, though. Sorry @ronandannette, you’ll have to go to the bathroom and use toilet paper when you’re here! ;)
:snooty: I'll bring my own thankyouverymuch...one of those little pocket packs of Kleenex that I plan to stock up on while I still can. Interestingly, I never see those marketed by other brands.

:idea: Or maybe I'll bring you a bale of these as a hostess gift!

1693347652310.png

:snooty: I'll bring my own thankyouverymuch...one of those little pocket packs of Kleenex that I plan to stock up on while I still can. Interestingly, I never see those marketed by other brands.

:idea: Or maybe I'll bring you a bale of these as a hostess gift!

View attachment 789199

Might be hard to find.

71u3QRIq6iL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The one place I have seen these are at dollar stores. Often a house brand or no recognizable brand. And often they're licensed with cartoon characters. I think I've bought some with Disney-Pixar Cars characters as well as Minions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter