No more Splash Mountain during evening EMH

We are headed there in 3 weeks and am sad to see this "trade off". Splash, Big Thunder, and Space Mountain are main draws and the last two are really fun to ride at night. I'm not liking this trend of reducing EMH hours next year and now taking down major attractions and replacing them with ones no-one even cares about anymore. Dissappointed ...

We'll be there in a couple of weeks and are planning to do our first evening EMH at the M.K. What rides will be open?

We'll be there in a couple of weeks and are planning to do our first evening EMH at the M.K. What rides will be open?

Most everything else. All other headliners should be open, unless the suits make another bad choice. Maybe they could swap Big Thunder with Hall of Presidents cuz, you know, they're practically identical. ;)

Splash Mountain is the main reason my 18 & 20 year old sons still like to go to WDW...it's our favorite ride. We would always go to MK for evening EMH and ride Splash over and over. We last did this in June for younger son's graduation from high school. This makes me so sad because I doubt either of them will be interested in returning to WDW if we can't ride Splash at night.
I guess it's finally time to give Universal a try.

Weird to be quoting myself. I just told DS 20 about no more Splash at EMH. His response "That's why I still go. Guess I'm done with Disney now."
This is probably the one thing that would cause my boys to stop going. I'm really unhappy about this decision.

I think we're on to something here...

Ok, fine, you can drop Space Mountain but ramp up the spin on CoP until it's at Mission Space levels!! Cut Peter Pan but keep Tom Sawyer Island open and add BEARS!!

Let's get some adrenaline going for our 2 hour EMHs!

Maybe the change has something to do with Splash being down all the time. Last time we were there we were stopped on the ride for at least 20 minutes, and from what I've been seeing in a ton of trip reports as of late, this is happening a lot more.:confused3

Honestly, I don't see this as that huge of a deal, but I don't use EMH even when I stay on property.

NONE of use know why Disney has made this decision. All this speculation is pointless and, frankly, hilarious.

Not too smart Disney!! Unless, of course, you are trying to phase out EMHs. And I think that may very well be the case. And they had best have something else in mind for resort guests. EMHs are a huge draw for those on a budget. They figure they'll spend a bit more and stay at a value resort vs a cheaper offsite resort and be able to use EMHs. No EMHs? Stay offsite.
I love Disney...I truly do. BUT...there are just too many weird things going on lately. Too many cuts and still high prices.

I completely agree. I'm very disappointed lately with the direction things seem to be going. It's getting harder and harder to justify the cost of a Disney trip with the significant increase in resorts, dining and tickets and all that they keep little by little taking away.

I agree... while this is a disappointing move (as Splash Mountain is a favorite, and only seen Tiki one time). I don't find this a DEAL BREAKER.... you can still ride it up to closing time, can't you??? I usually intend to do evening EMH and find myself too tired actually do it.....This year only have one EMH day and that is for DHS.

My concern actually was, will it be opened for MNSSHP?

Weird to be quoting myself. I just told DS 20 about no more Splash at EMH. His response "That's why I still go. Guess I'm done with Disney now."
This is probably the one thing that would cause my boys to stop going. I'm really unhappy about this decision.

I hear ya! With teenage boys myself, you try to keep them interested in going and not lose them to all that Universal has to offer them. We are forced to go during the hot summer because of HS schedules. We use EMH throughout our trip to ride the mountains without long waits and not in the sweltering heat. I'm sooo disappointed in the decisions Disney has been making recently.

For those of you who think maybe this is for extra maintenance, maybe they should do that during that extra hour they will have when EMH goes from 3 to 2 hours.

The only maintenance being done is to Disney's profit margin.

I'm pretty good with math, and I've read and reread the thread on the Community Board about chisanbop - but I can't figure out how to make one of anything equal three of the same thing (hours, in this case). Even the change isn't for actual maintenance, operating Splash Mountain during only standard park hours instead of that plus EMH, will put less stress overall on the attraction.

Yep, just like they're working on the monorail. ;)
I haven't seen a source that the trains and infrastructure aren't being repaired during the slightly extended downtime. Benefit of the doubt that you're not being sarcastic just for the sake of being so - do you have a citable source? Have there been more, fewer, or about the same number of delays and breakdowns over the last thirteen months as before? :confused3

Even without knowing the reason why this is being done I tend to agree it is a bad idea. But for all the people who call this a bad "trade" I am wondering what else that was closed could have been opened that would equal Splash. Here is a list of what is open for EMH:

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Haunted Mansion
"its a small world"
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mickey's Philharmagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Space Mountain
Stitch's Great Escape!
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Pirates of the Caribbean

I don't see anything missing which would be equal to Splash which can be considered an E-Ticket ride right? I suppose one could argue that it would have been better to just close splash and not open the Tiki room, but that would have gotten some people upset as well.

I wouldn't be surprised either if in a few months you see the Tiki room being "traded" for the new Little Mermaid ride, of course it doesn't make sense why they wouldn't just keep splash open till then. I tend to agree though that EMH is slowly being phased out, too bad, the late nights in the parks were some of my favorite times, although with an new infant I think it would have been a few years before I could do that again.

I am bummed by this announcement. The only reason we use EMHs at MK is to ride Splash, BTMR and Haunted Mansion. Splash is my favorite ride so I'm kinda irked that we have two trips upcoming and now we won't be able to enjoy it during any of our EMHs. Ugh. Get your crap together Disney. Lately I just seem to be shaking my head at more and more stuff they are doing. Little things.

Amusingly enough, the only times I have ever ridden Splash Mountain were during evening EMHs. Now I'm really going to need to rethink my touring style. :rotfl2:

Even without knowing the reason why this is being done I tend to agree it is a bad idea. But for all the people who call this a bad "trade" I am wondering what else that was closed could have been opened that would equal Splash. Here is a list of what is open for EMH:

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Haunted Mansion
"its a small world"
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mickey's Philharmagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Space Mountain
Stitch's Great Escape!
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Pirates of the Caribbean

I don't see anything missing which would be equal to Splash which can be considered an E-Ticket ride right? I suppose one could argue that it would have been better to just close splash and not open the Tiki room, but that would have gotten some people upset as well.

I wouldn't be surprised either if in a few months you see the Tiki room being "traded" for the new Little Mermaid ride, of course it doesn't make sense why they wouldn't just keep splash open till then. I tend to agree though that EMH is slowly being phased out, too bad, the late nights in the parks were some of my favorite times, although with an new infant I think it would have been a few years before I could do that again.

I have to agree. It's silly they're "trading" one for the other but at least something else is opening. Contrary to DIS belief a decent amount of people do enjoy Tiki Room.

Maybe they could swap Big Thunder with Hall of Presidents cuz, you know, they're practically identical. ;)

:rotfl2:

I think I'm going to email them and express my disappointment. Even knowing it's hardly likely to have any impact, I may as well complain to the right place :)

I'm going to do the same thing.

Me too. Maybe if enough people complain they will consider keeping it in. I mean I get it if you are talking 2-3am but in the fall, MK closes at 8 and EMHs are until 11p. I want to be able to leave in the afternoon, go to dinner then go back to the park around 8 and ride my favorite rides. If you are going to take out key attractions during EMHs then extend the park hours IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter