• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more Splash Mountain during evening EMH

JimmyV said:
The elimination of the "hard-ticket" E-Ticket nights, which were populated almost entirely by people over the age of 8. I can't think of a single thing that has been done at WDW in the past 5 years
Just clarifying; this was eliminated about (a little over) ten years ago in response to low attendance - and despite Disney's claim that guests really preferred Character Caravans in the resort lobbies :rotfl2:.

Just when I find out MK will be open until 1am on one of the nights of my September trip I find this out, this sucks! I'm majorly disappointed!!

Figures splash will begin its disappearing act during EMH the DAY we start visiting the parks (Aug26). We're at MK that day.....and MK is open til 1am. it figures doesnt it?! First Hurricane Hannas closes on the 27th (or 28th?) now this. Grrrrrrrrr.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Some of us have been noticing these little cutbacks for a while. I still see this as a trend but as usual, I hope that I'm wrong.

I just dont get why ppl on dis take it to the EXTREME and say that theyre not interested in staying onsite anymore because of this. Really?

Since there is only one source for this info so far, I figured what the heck and went on Disney's official site. Not sure if it means anything, but I followed the link for EMH (pm) on Aug 26. Splash is listed as one of the attractions, maybe the official info will be updated on the 26th?

Now will people believe that evening EMH are on the way out? "Due to guest demand" of course...

Like a PP, I also waited in a 45-minute line for Space Mountain during the 3rd hour of EMH a couple of weeks ago. Cutting the third hour and cutting Splash may also essentially kill EMH Space Mountain.

This decision, (and the above poster's reaction to it) are what I have been lamenting for several years now. It is the unabashed Princess-ification of WDW in general, and the MK in particular. While Universal/IOA goes out of its way to add attractions that appeal to boys and teens, Disney has charted a one-way course to make itself into a Princess lover's theme park. What has Disney done in the past 5 years that would appeal to a boy, or a visitor age 13-20? More Princess meet and greets. An entire FL re-do which is heavily weighted to little girls. And now they take away a ride that appeals to boys and teens (which is not to say that it doesn't appeal to girls and people of all ages, but if you ask a 14 year old boy to rate the rides at the MK, Splash Mt is going to be top 5 every time).

The emascualtion of EMH is getting complete, as they are shutting the park down earlier and eliminating thrill rides from EMH. Pretty soon, there will be no need to keep the park open until midnight, because that is way past little snowflake's bedtime. Gone are the days when visitors without kids and parents with teens could have the park to themselves and ride thrill rides until 2:00 a.m.. Here are the days when all the fun is geared toward 5 year-old girls wearing princess dresses and tiaras.
I found your post very interesting for the simple fact of, I was beginning to think that I was the only person who felt this way. I am a mother of a 6 year old daughter, but unlike 99 percent of the young girl population at Disney who are hoping to be the next star on toddlers and tiaras, my daughter is at the other end of the spectrum. She really does not like the princesses and finds it comical to see people parading through the parks in heavy dresses and tiaras when it's 110 degrees. The new FLE to her seems extremely boring and we are hoping that it will make the other parks less crowded when we visit. My daughter would love a toy story character meal or a star wars character meal but I do agree that Disney is really heading toward the princess madness!!! To each his own, but I would much rather see SM open at night then tiki or the new mermaid ride!!!!

We have always stayed on site. This time we stayed at Universal first, and then moved to Disney (POR) after 4 days. At the end of the 10 day trip, they and my DH all said we could have stayed at universal for more days, hit the beach for a few days and saved some money. The crowds and lines were unbearable. The only new thing that really jazzed them since our last trip (2007) was TSM, and the rides TOT, RNR, and Splash mountain were out for various times (long extended times) the entire week.

This is why we always go to Universal/IOA AFTER WDW...we find the lines more frustrating at WDW after being spoiled with FOTL at Universal/IOA.

WDW and US/IOA both have their pros and cons...to me nothing beats the Pixie Dust of WDW...unless it's the Mummy Dust of US!! :rotfl2::rotfl2: I get to dress up and be a Princess at WDW, and the restaurant choices are amazing, and don't even get me started on Food and Wine!!!!...on the flip side at US/IOA I usually have a lot more casual attitude and love, love, love the thrill rides!!!

About dropping Splash Mountain from EMH.....absolutely un-flipping-believeable!!! A Tiki-Room trade-off? Seriously? What will be next, BTMR? I love seeing the lights from the top of both of those rides. I think they are trying to make MK less and less desirable during EMH, so they can justify dropping them all together.

I too, would like to know if they are still going to run it during MNSSHP and MVMCP?

I just dont get why ppl on dis take it to the EXTREME and say that theyre not interested in staying onsite anymore because of this. Really?

I don't think this is the only reason why people are staying offsite but it is a last straw kind of thing. It is probably one of many reasons why onsite is no longer attractive. Here are some of the many reasons we have moved offsite (or even on to different vacation destinations) : High cost, small rooms(most affordable rooms do not accommodate five), deteriorating bus service/monorail service and meal plans are no longer a good value. Now with the diminished value of EMH, it may just push people over the edge.

This decision, (and the above poster's reaction to it) are what I have been lamenting for several years now. It is the unabashed Princess-ification of WDW in general, and the MK in particular. While Universal/IOA goes out of its way to add attractions that appeal to boys and teens, Disney has charted a one-way course to make itself into a Princess lover's theme park. What has Disney done in the past 5 years that would appeal to a boy, or a visitor age 13-20? More Princess meet and greets. An entire FL re-do which is heavily weighted to little girls. And now they take away a ride that appeals to boys and teens (which is not to say that it doesn't appeal to girls and people of all ages, but if you ask a 14 year old boy to rate the rides at the MK, Splash Mt is going to be top 5 every time).

The emascualtion of EMH is getting complete, as they are shutting the park down earlier and eliminating thrill rides from EMH. Pretty soon, there will be no need to keep the park open until midnight, because that is way past little snowflake's bedtime. Gone are the days when visitors without kids and parents with teens could have the park to themselves and ride thrill rides until 2:00 a.m.. Here are the days when all the fun is geared toward 5 year-old girls wearing princess dresses and tiaras.

Wonderfully said:worship:. It's really starting to tick me off. Nowadays it seems that all the little girls would rather see belle and aurora than mickey and minnie which boggles my mind:confused3.

Let's face it whoever thought of the "Disney Princess" franchise should be slapped........really hard..........with a brick:stir:

Now will people believe that evening EMH are on the way out? "Due to guest demand" of course...
Not until/unless they're gone. E-Ticket Nights weren't phased out; they were simply stopped. Cold. And replaced by inane Character Caravans.

I do agree to an extent but think just for arguments sake you are forgetting about avatar land, I'll believe in Avatar Land the day they cut the ribbon and drop the rope on that first day. If they start now, it wouldn't open for four years. By then, the franchise will be stale if not forgotten test track refurb, a refurbish of an existing attraction star tours, dittoand even though it is beyond your arbitrary 5 year mark lma is very much geared to teenagers. could also talk about enhancements to poc which are definitely not geared to the princess crowd you mention and minor enhancements to space mountain.all minor stuff that can be chalked up to general upkeep. How many meet and greets and character meals have they steered toward boys?

I think the stuff is there, or coming, it is just that right now the princesses are top billing, and the closing of splash doesn't help that perception.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

Just clarifying; this was eliminated about (a little over) ten years ago in response to low attendance - and despite Disney's claim that guests really preferred Character Caravans in the resort lobbies :rotfl2:.
True. I editted to add reference to the E Ticket nights after arbitrarily picking the 5 year cutoff.

Not me. I still will get a lot of value from staying on site.

Yes. Really.

Look at my signature...we love Disney. We're working on a reunion trip next year. My Sis and I are going to be doing more Run Disney events. But - staying on site has become so expensive, and the perks that have made staying onsite feasible and enjoyable are starting to go away.

It's not just about Splash being replaced by the Tiki Room, or just about EMH losing an hour, or just about the steeply climbing prices... it's about it all really adding up to making more sense for my family and our friends to stay offsite.

Not me. I still will get a lot of value from staying on site.

The meaning of value is different for everyone. There will be trips where it will make sense and have value for me to stay onsite. It's much easier to stay onsite for the Run Disney events, for example.

But I feel that traveling with a larger group as we tend to do, we will be staying offsite more in the future.

But back to the point, it will take a lot of the fun out of the evening EMH on our upcoming trip to not be able to ride Splash....and to have to wait longer to ride SM and BTMRR. :(

Splash Mountain is the main reason my 18 & 20 year old sons still like to go to WDW...it's our favorite ride. We would always go to MK for evening EMH and ride Splash over and over. We last did this in June for younger son's graduation from high school. This makes me so sad because I doubt either of them will be interested in returning to WDW if we can't ride Splash at night.
I guess it's finally time to give Universal a try.

I so agree with you, my 15 yr old son loves to ride this over and over again at night, he won't show much interest in going without it..........:mad:

al6yi5tjxkdufyr8.png

I still want to see some hard proof. I honestly can't believe Disney would do something so insane. Splash Mountain for the TIKI ROOM?! Sorry, I don't buy it.

This is really sad, and disappointing. I will be so upset if they get rid of EMHs altogether. They are magical for my family.
Disney seems to be ripping us off. PmEMH reduced to 2 hours, dining plan prices raised to a ridiculous amount, and even getting rid of 1 snack on the QSDP. that is a potential loss of $20 a day for a family of five.
I just love WDW. But to keep raising prices whilst offering less and less- it makes me angry.

This whole fastpass thing worries me too. I would prefer EMHs!!! Disney, please, DO NOT make these changes, DO NOT take away from our vacation when we are paying more and more, and STOP trying to squeeze as much money as you can out of us! You will lose valued return customers.

What are they doing to the most magical place on earth. It feels more like 'the most magical place on earth if you are willing to pay more for it'.

Please Disney. Keep EMHs, keep SM open for EMH and stop raising prices at such a greedy amount! :(

And so it begins. The perceived diminishing value for your Disney dollar is reaching the tipping point...

Yeah, E ticket nites became busier and busier, low attendance? We never saw it. However WDW needed an excuse to keep raising the resort rates.

I don't think this is the only reason why people are staying offsite but it is a last straw kind of thing. It is probably one of many reasons why onsite is no longer attractive. Here are some of the many reasons we have moved offsite (or even on to different vacation destinations) : High cost, small rooms(most affordable rooms do not accommodate five), deteriorating bus service/monorail service and meal plans are no longer a good value. Now with the diminished value of EMH, it may just push people over the edge.

Yes. Really.

Look at my signature...we love Disney. We're working on a reunion trip next year. My Sis and I are going to be doing more Run Disney events. But - staying on site has become so expensive, and the perks that have made staying onsite feasible and enjoyable are starting to go away.

It's not just about Splash being replaced by the Tiki Room, or just about EMH losing an hour, or just about the steeply climbing prices... it's about it all really adding up to making more sense for my family and our friends to stay offsite.

If anyone still refuses to recognize a cost cutting trend here by WDW, then they have their head in the sand.

Waltgirl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter