(No politics!!) how impacted will Guardians in Epcot be now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh of course, I don’t think you were brushing it off as being okay or anything :)

I try to stay away from that stuff too but this has infiltrated another website that I frequent so that is how I am aware of it. I have never even seen these movies because I am not the biggest Chris Pratt or Zoe Saldana fan lol
I love Guardians movies. Especially 2. The soundtrack alone makes me happy.

To be honest, I'm hoping him getting fired DOES impact the story for the ride and upcoming films. My husband and I were wanting to watch the 2nd film with some of our older kids and previewed it first. We were really shocked by the amount of sexual innuendos and explicit jokes in the movie. And was it really necessary to show a hundred sculptures of all the ways his dad procreated with aliens? Definitely not family friendly in any way, or what I would consider "Classic Disney."

Obviously, you would hope that if they're basing a ride off of the movies, they would leave that type of stuff out of the ride. Still, so many parents would want to watch the movies with their kids before going to the parks to ride it. So, a change in leadership to some one a bit more clean in their sense of humour is totally fine with me...

Ok from what I’ve read and this is what I tried avoiding: he did apologize around the time he was hired for the original guardians in 2012. He never deleted the tweets however and got into a Twitter fight with a “conspiracy theorist” who got upset and resurfaced them. All I’m going to say is I have enough information to make an informed decision but this is not the place to mention my decision
http://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/201...red-offensive-comments-previously-apologized/

Yes. To add to this, the Twitter acvount that had these tweets was dead. He hadn't used it since 2012 (made a new one), which may explain why they were never deleted. Perhaps back then, he figured by not using that account and making a new, they would eventually disappear into the abyss?

Yes. To add to this, the Twitter acvount that had these tweets was dead. He hadn't used it since 2012 (made a new one), which may explain why they were never deleted. Perhaps back then, he figured by not using that account and making a new, they would eventually disappear into the abyss?

You would think famous people would have figured out by now that the internet never forgets lol

You would think famous people would have figured out by now that the internet never forgets lol

And not just famous people - if there is any good that can come from this hopefully it can be a lesson to others (especially young people) that things you say and do will stick with you forever - so think twice, three times before sending a “funny” tweet

I guess one could ask why didn’t these surface sooner?

I find the whole discovering old tweets thing to be very weird. Obviously like you said though he was very much an adult when he tweeted this stuff and not a kid.

These have surfaced multiple times and like Lasseter, it was just brushed off until it became part of a larger issue.

I think it is one of those “it isn’t an issue until it is an issue” thing

One could look at is as that was a while ago, he doesn’t use that account anymore, he apologized and said he has grown, it was an attempt at humor and he was in with that “shock humor” crowd - so easily can see Disney compartmentalizing that they aren’t hiring *that* James Gunn they are hiring an evolved one

I think we are learning now you can’t compartmentalize people and anything they have said or done ever is with them forever - at least if it comes to light and someone wants to shine a light on it

Perhaps a poor comparison, but I really just meant to say that Disney was already aware of all of this according to prior reports. They just chose to act now due to similar pressure.

Also I think coming on the heels of the Lasseter situation and how some gave them heat for not doing something sooner I am sure only was further motivation to sever ties right away

To be honest, I'm hoping him getting fired DOES impact the story for the ride and upcoming films. My husband and I were wanting to watch the 2nd film with some of our older kids and previewed it first. We were really shocked by the amount of sexual innuendos and explicit jokes in the movie. And was it really necessary to show a hundred sculptures of all the ways his dad procreated with aliens? Definitely not family friendly in any way, or what I would consider "Classic Disney."

Obviously, you would hope that if they're basing a ride off of the movies, they would leave that type of stuff out of the ride. Still, so many parents would want to watch the movies with their kids before going to the parks to ride it. So, a change in leadership to some one a bit more clean in their sense of humour is totally fine with me...

I whole-heartedly agree with your first paragraph. We were not prepared AT ALL for all the sexual innuendo. First movie was great family fun; second movie, not so much. But, I’ll take responsibility for letting my guard down, and not previewing again.

Perhaps a poor comparison, but I really just meant to say that Disney was already aware of all of this according to prior reports. They just chose to act now due to similar pressure.
This is what I'm most curious about. It's pretty clear Disney knew about Lasseter since they sent "handlers" with him to parties. I find it pretty reprehensible that they kept him on until the pressure got too high.

Now this surfaces about multiple thousands of tweets? Surely they knew? If they did, then that's another strike in the "reprehensible" column for me. If the tweets are bad enough to fire him now, then they were bad enough to fire him whenever they first found out about them (whenever that was). Swaying in the wind, waiting until public pressure builds is just gross in my opinion.

I’m just throwing this out there this has definitely taken the course I have been afraid for with this thread

...so? No one is being inappropriate and everyone is having a civil conversation. It is a pretty big issue and people want to discuss it.
I asked for it to be a place to discuss the attraction, anything discussing what he did would lead to a heated conversation which already lead to two pages of off topic conversation about what he did

I asked for it to be a place to discuss the attraction, anything discussing what he did would lead to a heated conversation which already lead to two pages of off topic conversation about what he did

lol we must have different ideas of what heated conversation is because I haven’t seen any. And I don’t consider it to be off topic since his firing is the reason you are concerned that the coaster will be different than originally planned.

Awful? Cheesy, of course but that's the way the movie is. The soundtrack is great, and the band they got is very good. Everyone in the theater was having a great time. Different strokes I guess.

From most reports I've seen, the band is great but the actors are terrible. Leading to some loving it and others hating it depending on the part they focus on the most.

I’m just throwing this out there this has definitely taken the course I have been afraid for with this thread
I'm not sure how spread concern is of them changing the ride at all. They definitely won't be changing the track, and depending on how story dependent the ride is, they either can't change the script much or it won't matter if they do change it. I really expect minimal impact on the ride and massive impacts on Guardians 3.

10 year old tweets that offended someone

They also weren't 10 years old...some were from 2012, and at least one alliding to child rape was after he "apologized" in 2012 for his tweets about gay people.

Edit: And I'm of the opinion that Disney should have noticed them before. But, them coming to light now and going viral, no matter the method, put Disney in a place with really only one option, especially after Lasseter. And that was to fire Gunn.

Hopefully they get Taika to do GotG3 and to direct the clips for the ride. In my opinion he did a great job with Thor Ragnarok...it's one of the few MCU films I've seen 3+ times because my family enjoys it that much. Even my 8 month old baby likes it.

Last edited:

To be fair, I don't think Guardians was supposed to be a "Classic Disney" movie, its a Marvel movie. Regarding the ride I don't think they'll include any sexual innuendos, I imagine it will have jokes but they'll be PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter