NO to Aft cabins!!

He had aft on our Dream Cruise. I can't recall the room never - couldn't even remember it when we were there!
Anyway...Aft on Deck 7.
We noticed a vibration almost a bouncing. But I realized these as we were backing into Port. I figured that was what it was from - backing in. :confused3
Not a big deal, it is a moving vessel after all.

We had Aft (inside room) on the Magic. The problem with the inside room is when you felling these vibrations and movements you have no idea what is going on since you can't see outside.

Would we stay in an aft again? Sure! I would recommend just being aware that it is a ship...that is in water.....that is moving....you are GONNA feel movement. And take your hangers out of the closet - that banging around wil drive you nuts. :rotfl:

based on this thread I am not planning on moving from aft (deck 9) on the Dream. There might be vibration. There might not. The ship might move. It might not. And they charge more for midship...which is where you want to be to minimize movement of the ship, so everybody wants it, so they charge more. Staying with the aft.

We were on the Dream May 13-17th and we had AFT room 9662. We did feel the thrusters when were going into ports etc but other than that the room was incredible and we had no vibrations to speak of. I had heard this and was terrified before I left but my goodness I fell in love with our room locations and everything about. I have never slept as good as I did on the dream, my sleep there was incredibleQ:love:

A friend just got back from Fantasy 7192 and reported NO problems except first night when going fast :thumbsup2

A friend just got back from Fantasy 7192 and reported NO problems except first night when going fast :thumbsup2

OP reporting back...based on what responses there have been to my original post, it seems most likely that the vibration was caused by the speed of the ship that first night. If we had stayed in the cabin, I am curious as to how much, if any, vibration there might have been....but I was not willing to take a chance.

I didn't have an aft cabin, but I noticed vibrations in Cabana's (Fantasy) while eating breakfast. :confused3 I only ate in there the first morning (Sunday sea day after a Saturday night departure). Perhaps it was just because we were going fast that day too, I don't know, but it was enough to scare me off of booking an aft cabin. I'm glad some people like the aft cabins though ... i'll be sticking with the forward.

AWESOME, thank you for reporting for us! We have 7192 booked in December and I was getting slighly nervous :) This makes me feel a lot better!:cloud9:

We were mid-ship so I can't comment on Aft staterooms, but I was fine during our entire 4 night DREAM cruise in April--EXCEPT when eating dinner at Animator's Palette-- I felt like the noise/vibrations and sway was going to make me sick right then and there. Thankfully I did not, but I did feel green :(
As soon as we left the restaurant I was fine again. My only guess is that it was due to the location of the restaurant on the ship.

It definitely scared me enough to not want to ever book an aft room in future.

Well, I was booked in room 9667 (AFT) on the Fantasy and just switched to room 9070 (FORWARD). Can't lie, I'm a little worried over other's issues with vibrations and I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for starting this thread! :yay:

We have 9174 & 9176 aft on the Fantasy booked for May 2013. At first I worried about the vibrations but it's like my old man says, we should try it for ourselves. We don't tend to be like others. We enjoy ship movement. We want to feel it more. If we have some vibrations while docking that's not a bad thing. We like to get up and be out on our verandah to watch the fun unfold while docking. If we sleep past it we'll be mad. I dunno, I think the aft verandahs might be perfect for us! :thumbsup2

I just had 7682 on the Fantasy, and there were vibrations at all times and it was pretty noisy (mechanical noises). There didn't seem to be a way I could guess as to how strong they would be, but you definitely feel it more laying in bed. It wasn't strong enough to really disturb us, but I can see how it might affect others. We will not book a room this far aft again for this reason.

based on this thread I am not planning on moving from aft (deck 9) on the Dream. There might be vibration. There might not. The ship might move. It might not. And they charge more for midship...which is where you want to be to minimize movement of the ship, so everybody wants it, so they charge more. Staying with the aft.

I agree!:thumbsup2 I talked about it with my sister since this is here first cruise and I want her to know what to expect. Really though, neither one of us are concerned. We're in 7190 on the Dream and thrilled about the location. I'll post our experience when we get back but I don't know how helpful that'll be to future cruisers since there seem to be so many variables.

Vibrations and noise would not bother me. We are thinking on aft for our next Disney cruise and were more concerned about movement from the ship, how bad is that?:wizard:

Just off the June 2 Fantasy Eastern and here are my thoughts on room #8186:

Positive:
Huge veranda, 2 full size loungers and 2 sitting chairs will fit comfortably, views are beautiful from the back (backed into St. Thomas and Castaway Cay), excellent location for kids club, Cabanas, walk to WD Theatre was easy, plush bedding, connecting room was no issue with noise,

Negative:
Lots of soot from smoke stacks every day (stateroom host cleaned it up daily), lots of exhaust fumes while sailing (especially at night when at higher speeds and we couldn't enjoy the veranda on several nights), while in port you could smell smoke from balconies on other levels (especially the illegal kind-yes, even on a Disney Cruise:sad2:), the balcony was too hot to use on port days and we are used to humid 100+ degree summer days.

Neutral - quite a bit of continuous vibration at night when traveling at higher speeds (mostly on 6th and 7th night). It didn't bother us but it might for sensitive sleepers, room was smaller than on classic ships but not enough to make a difference.

Final thoughts - the extra balcony space was nice but not sure it is as coveted as I once thought since we couldn't enjoy it several nights due to the exhaust. For the savings, I feel like I would have enojoyed a category 9 room just as much and not dealt with the soot and exhaust. We have this room booked again for Jan 2013 and I will know what to expect. Maybe the 4 night will be different.

Vibrations and noise would not bother me. We are thinking on aft for our next Disney cruise and were more concerned about movement from the ship, how bad is that?:wizard:

Because the vibrations (first night) were so bad, I didn't even feel the movement of the ship as I had the first night of our previous cruise. It was a whole lot easier for me to get a good night's sleep on the first cruise because of that.

I agree!:thumbsup2 I talked about it with my sister since this is here first cruise and I want her to know what to expect. Really though, neither one of us are concerned. We're in 7190 on the Dream and thrilled about the location. I'll post our experience when we get back but I don't know how helpful that'll be to future cruisers since there seem to be so many variables.

We are right next door on the Fantasy next year. Please post when you get back about it. Ours is actually an inside room. I don't know if that makes a difference.

We just booked a 4 night, Dec 2012 cruise a few minutes ago. cabin 7192. I wanted the 8th or 9th deck aft- but they were all booked. On the 7th deck this was the only Aft room available. I wanted a aft room because of the large balconies and the reviews of these cabins - even on other sites. But know - I am afraid I made a mistake?? i was actually looking at 7A cat but thought I would spend a little more for a nice room. I thought these rooms were cat 6B but were changed to 5E because they were more popular so they rated them a higher cat. Not sure what to do??

We just booked a 4 night, Dec 2012 cruise a few minutes ago. cabin 7192. I wanted the 8th or 9th deck aft- but they were all booked. On the 7th deck this was the only Aft room available. I wanted a aft room because of the large balconies and the reviews of these cabins - even on other sites. But know - I am afraid I made a mistake?? i was actually looking at 7A cat but thought I would spend a little more for a nice room. I thought these rooms were cat 6B but were changed to 5E because they were more popular so they rated them a higher cat. Not sure what to do??

7192 used to be a 6B (on the Dream), but those aft verandah rooms were changed to the higher category because they have a larger verandah than the other 6B rooms (from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong).

We were in this room on the Dream back in May 2011. I know it's not the Fantasy, and that has been our only cruise, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was perfect for us 3.

Here's a link to my photo album of this room

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums...ney Dream Stateroom 7192/?albumview=slideshow

7192 used to be a 6B (on the Dream), but those aft verandah rooms were changed to the higher category because they have a larger verandah than the other 6B rooms (from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong).

We were in this room on the Dream back in May 2011. I know it's not the Fantasy, and that has been our only cruise, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was perfect for us 3.

Here's a link to my photo album of this room

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums...ney Dream Stateroom 7192/?albumview=slideshow

THANK YOU for posting those pics! We have 7192 booked on the Fantasy in December - those views are EXACTLY what we booked for! :cloud9:

I'm hoping the vibrations won't be too bad for us, but I tend to need sleep aids for bedtime anyway, so I'll probably sleep right through it anyhow ;) We'll just be sure to take some Dramamine before bed just in case. I'm very glad to hear multiple people saying the 1st night is bad, yes, but the subsequent nights are generally fine - this gives us perspective and we know what to expect now.

Just back from 1st cruise on Fantasy. Stateroom located on Deck 5 aft, starboard side with (extended) verandah. There was a lot of vibration during the early and late part of the cruise. I would estimate that the vibration was ~5Hz, low amplitude, mostly in the vertical direction (engineer speak). It was most noticeable when sitting or lying on the bed, probably because the bed is hard mounted to both the floor and the wall. At first, I thought the vibration was associated with engine RPM, but it suddenly stopped during the middle of the 2nd day of the cruise while travelling at constant speed and direction. It suddenly started again during the early evening of the last night of the cruise. When walking about the ship, the vibration seemed to be isolated to the aft part of the ship, and could be felt on all decks (even in Cabanas), but amplitude decreased as deck number increased. I would speculate that the vibration is caused by an auxilary diesel electric generator located in the aft engine room.
That said, the vibration didn't bother me or DW. The vibration was not as bad as what I've experienced when riding a sleeper car on Amtrak, probably not even as bad as on a jet aircraft.
What really bothered DW and I were the random noises (cracks, creaks, groans) that occurred on 2 nights of the cruise when ship was sailing through some rough seas that added some noticeable pitch/roll to the ship motion. Motion was not severe enough to cause seasickness, but the induced noises made it difficult to sleep. I resorted to sleeping with a pillow over my head.
Whereas the vibration was isolated to the aft part of the ship, the other noises probably could have happened in any stateroom, though I don't know for certain.
I don't know that I would avoid an aft stateroom in the future (ours was VGT assignment this trip), but we'd probably want to try a different location on a future trip just to see if it would be as noisy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter