NO to Aft cabins!!

Just back from 1st cruise on Fantasy. Stateroom located on Deck 5 aft, starboard side with (extended) verandah. There was a lot of vibration during the early and late part of the cruise. I would estimate that the vibration was ~5Hz, low amplitude, mostly in the vertical direction (engineer speak). It was most noticeable when sitting or lying on the bed, probably because the bed is hard mounted to both the floor and the wall. At first, I thought the vibration was associated with engine RPM, but it suddenly stopped during the middle of the 2nd day of the cruise while travelling at constant speed and direction. It suddenly started again during the early evening of the last night of the cruise. When walking about the ship, the vibration seemed to be isolated to the aft part of the ship, and could be felt on all decks (even in Cabanas), but amplitude decreased as deck number increased. I would speculate that the vibration is caused by an auxilary diesel electric generator located in the aft engine room.
That said, the vibration didn't bother me or DW. The vibration was not as bad as what I've experienced when riding a sleeper car on Amtrak, probably not even as bad as on a jet aircraft.
What really bothered DW and I were the random noises (cracks, creaks, groans) that occurred on 2 nights of the cruise when ship was sailing through some rough seas that added some noticeable pitch/roll to the ship motion. Motion was not severe enough to cause seasickness, but the induced noises made it difficult to sleep. I resorted to sleeping with a pillow over my head.
Whereas the vibration was isolated to the aft part of the ship, the other noises probably could have happened in any stateroom, though I don't know for certain.
I don't know that I would avoid an aft stateroom in the future (ours was VGT assignment this trip), but we'd probably want to try a different location on a future trip just to see if it would be as noisy.

You must appreciate that a 1,115 ft piece of metal will flex and thus cause creaks and groans thou!) :)
:rotfl2:

Just back from 1st cruise on Fantasy. Stateroom located on Deck 5 aft, starboard side with (extended) verandah. There was a lot of vibration during the early and late part of the cruise. I would estimate that the vibration was ~5Hz, low amplitude, mostly in the vertical direction (engineer speak). It was most noticeable when sitting or lying on the bed, probably because the bed is hard mounted to both the floor and the wall. At first, I thought the vibration was associated with engine RPM, but it suddenly stopped during the middle of the 2nd day of the cruise while travelling at constant speed and direction. It suddenly started again during the early evening of the last night of the cruise. When walking about the ship, the vibration seemed to be isolated to the aft part of the ship, and could be felt on all decks (even in Cabanas), but amplitude decreased as deck number increased. I would speculate that the vibration is caused by an auxilary diesel electric generator located in the aft engine room.
That said, the vibration didn't bother me or DW. The vibration was not as bad as what I've experienced when riding a sleeper car on Amtrak, probably not even as bad as on a jet aircraft.
What really bothered DW and I were the random noises (cracks, creaks, groans) that occurred on 2 nights of the cruise when ship was sailing through some rough seas that added some noticeable pitch/roll to the ship motion. Motion was not severe enough to cause seasickness, but the induced noises made it difficult to sleep. I resorted to sleeping with a pillow over my head.
Whereas the vibration was isolated to the aft part of the ship, the other noises probably could have happened in any stateroom, though I don't know for certain.
I don't know that I would avoid an aft stateroom in the future (ours was VGT assignment this trip), but we'd probably want to try a different location on a future trip just to see if it would be as noisy.

Thanks for your review! We will be in 5192 which is directly aft. Did you hear any music/bass from The Tube below? That seemed to be common complaint on the Dream.

Thanks for your review! We will be in 5192 which is directly aft. Did you hear any music/bass from The Tube below? That seemed to be common complaint on the Dream.

Our stateroom was located just above the restrooms forward of The Tube. We heard nothing from below us the entire trip.

Just back from 1st cruise on Fantasy. Stateroom located on Deck 5 aft, starboard side with (extended) verandah.

Sounds like we were just above you a few decks, though maybe a few rooms more toward mid? We looked straight down on those extended deck 5 starboard verandahs. Interested to know which room number you were in.

We were in 8660 and I was wary of what the vibration level would be based on DIS reports. I have to say that we had no issue at all. And we were really trying to notice vibrations. Okay, we felt a little bit on the first night, but really, we had to be looking for it. It didn't seem all that different than what we've felt on the classic ships. BTW, the creaking and groaning was much more noticeable on the classic ships!

Anyway, I am just reporting this for the perspective as to how far away from "aft" on deck 8 that the vibrations become what I would describe as immaterial.

Thanks to everyone for your reports and pictures.We decided to keep the aft room we have booked. I am a little afraid of heights and the bigger veranda will allow me to go outside without feeling like I am near the edge.:scared:

Just got off the Disney Dream yesterday. My sister and I had room 7190 with the extended balcony. It was huge and I think I'm now ruined! I booked a 4A on the Fantasy for next year; I'm going to miss the larger verandah, especially with more people in the room next time.

OK, just off the Fantasy June 16-23, and we were in 9674 and :lovestruc L-O-V-E-D our aft verandah. Absolute best part? The neighbors! We had a great time this past week with our next door neighbor, as well as 2 neighbors on deck 8! Very social. We loved it loved it loved it. It was huge, loved the view, and the On 2 of our next 3 cruises, we have 8188 reserved. I could've held an exercise class on my verandah. Never again will I book a different verandah category. (And no, those 4E verandah rooms on deck 5 have ZERO appeal to us.)

Was there vibration? Yes. It was mild. Did it wake me up? Well, I was up at 5:45am every AM and either on Deck 4 running or doing my P90x, or waiting for the gym to open at 6:30am, so no, it did not wake me up. It was most noticeable the AM we pulled into Port Canaveral. Interestingly enough, on our 2nd or 3rd day, our stateroom hostess and an officer knocked on our door and asked if we had any complaints or issues, and that there were complaints about vibrations. I wonder if it's worse on the lower decks? Anyways, we were fine. We were not at all happy that there weren't any loungers on the verandah. We called GS while we were still at PC, but were told no for "safety concerns." Our immediate next door neighbor was able to get them successfully, and our deck 8 and 10 neighbors had them. This was upsetting, but in the grand scheme of things, it didn't make or break our vacation and we thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

OK, just off the Fantasy June 16-23, and we were in 9674 and :lovestruc L-O-V-E-D our aft verandah.

We were not at all happy that there weren't any loungers on the verandah. We called GS while we were still at PC, but were told no for "safety concerns." Our immediate next door neighbor was able to get them successfully, and our deck 8 and 10 neighbors had them. This was upsetting, but in the grand scheme of things, it didn't make or break our vacation and we thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Thanks for the report as we have this cabin in Nov 13. DCL better replace the loungers by then or I'll be very upset as these cabins have had the loungers on the Dream from the beginning, it's one of the main factors why I booked this cabin after having 10166 on the Dream.

Thanks for the report as we have this cabin in Nov 13. DCL better replace the loungers by then or I'll be very upset as these cabins have had the loungers on the Dream from the beginning, it's one of the main factors why I booked this cabin after having 10166 on the Dream.

Couldn't agree with you more :thumbsup2 We called GS while we were still in port. Our neighbor asked his stateroom hostess on the 5th day and got them, but by then, we decided not to press the issue, since it was day 5. DH has the pic of them on Dream and there is NO reason why they shouldn't be on a ship that does longer cruises!

It did give me room to exercise - I did P90x Yoga X on the 1st sea day, and Kenpo X on the last sea day and had plenty of room to move!!

Maybe I shouldn't sing the praises of my beloved aft verandah because I don't want to have to fight for the rooms!!! I guess everyone has a reason for choosing the rooms they do though :p

Maybe I shouldn't sing the praises of my beloved aft verandah because I don't want to have to fight for the rooms!!! I guess everyone has a reason for choosing the rooms they do though :p

I think the "cat has been out of the bag" for a while that's why these cabins were reclassified from 6A to 5E.

One of the couples going with us has 10166 and our DD, & DSIL will have 9672 so we'll have a great time.

The couple in 10166 was kind of on the fence until I sent her a pic of the 10166 verandah on the Dream and she immediately wrote back "I'm so there!"

Just back from the Fantasy. We stayed in 6690 and I have to say WE LOVED this location. The verandah was amazing, very big, great views and we liked the flag flipping in and out view when in port. Speaking of which the views at St. Thomas and Castaway from the Aft are amazing.

We really only noticed the vibrations on the night we left St. Thomas. We had dinner at Remy that night and you could look at your glasses and see the wine shacking. My wife forgot to take her motion sickness medicine and it unfortunately forced us to have to call the meal off before the cheese course. However, the folks at Remy were awesome and let us come back a couple nights later for cheese and desert.

If we cruise again, I will book this room again without a second thought.

We just got off the Dream about a week ago and the vibrations and noise of whatever it was (engines, thrusters, etc) certainly did wake me up in the mornings that we docked. We were in 7677. On disembarkation day they woke me at 5 am and I couldn't go back to sleep (not their fault- I was just thinking about everything that needed to be done). I chalked the noise and vibrations up to just being part of the cruise but if there are parts of the ship where it doesn't happen, I would certainly be interested in it for next time.

Forgive me in advance for this post, we are first time cruisers, and not at all familiar with the terminology aft. I know aft means, towards the rear of the ship. however, I can not tell based on the Disney website picture if we are Aft, forward, or middle. We are staying in room 6034 on the Fantasy. Is this an aft room? If not, what is the location of this room? Does anyone have reviews for this room? Once again , forgive me for my ignorance, but I have read so many posts regarding the location of the rooms, and I have no idea, what are location is... aft, mid,or forward. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

OK, just off the Fantasy June 16-23, and we were in 9674 and :lovestruc L-O-V-E-D our aft verandah. Absolute best part? The neighbors! We had a great time this past week with our next door neighbor, as well as 2 neighbors on deck 8! Very social. We loved it loved it loved it. It was huge, loved the view, and the On 2 of our next 3 cruises, we have 8188 reserved. I could've held an exercise class on my verandah. Never again will I book a different verandah category. (And no, those 4E verandah rooms on deck 5 have ZERO appeal to us.)

Well since we'll be your neighbours on one of those cruises, we promise to be fun and friendly! Did you get a chance to scout out 8188 and see just what it offered? I think we're just a few doors down the hall!

Honestly, I'm not too concerned about noise being aft. DH sleeps with earplugs, and once DD goes down she'll sleep through thunder and lightning. I actually find I enjoy the ship's sounds.

I'm most excited to see what it's like to sail with a verandah! We've only ever had a porthole (with no complaints). So this will be a treat.

I would call 6034 on the Fantasy "a forward cat 5d port side regular balcony"

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Disney Fantasy

Thank you very much for the explanation. I was at a loss with the aft, forward, mid ship discussions. I am sure whatever room we have ; we will be thrilled. I will never be able to afford a trip like this again, so, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and my family.We could not be more excited for this trip. Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my question.

I think the "cat has been out of the bag" for a while that's why these cabins were reclassified from 6A to 5E.

One of the couples going with us has 10166 and our DD, & DSIL will have 9672 so we'll have a great time.

The couple in 10166 was kind of on the fence until I sent her a pic of the 10166 verandah on the Dream and she immediately wrote back "I'm so there!"

We have that cabin in March, do you still have pictures of the cabin?

I will never be able to afford a trip like this again, so, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and my family.We could not be more excited for this trip.

You are definitely not alone with those three statements.
Have a great trip.
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter