• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nobel Peace Prize.

He may not have wanted it but could you imagine the outrage if he had rejected it? He honestly can't win.
I would have respected that decision very much.
Exactly. The people who hate him now would just use that as another reason.

There would obviously be two sides, those who would think he was a saint for declining it, and those who thought it was rude. You can't please everyone.

And I believe the prize was also for a continued effort of peace. Those people saw his potential, and were ready to reward him for the good things he's done and will continue to do.
Well there's two sides now. One that thinks he deserves it, and one that doesn't. At least him declining it would be the right thing to do, for once!
People don't get rewarded for 'potential'...And if they do, they definitely shouldn't have been rewarded.
ITA 100%.

I would have respected that decision very much.

Well there's two sides now. One that thinks he deserves it, and one that doesn't. At least him declining it would be the right thing to do, for once!

ITA 100%.
Well, like I said, a lot of people would've thought it was rude. Most likely the people who are saying he didn't deserve it now, wouldn't have liked him any better HAD he even refused it.

Most people didn't even know what the Nobel Prizes were until this all happened. So, I honestly don't think anyone would have given a care about it. If it isn't an Oscar or an MTV award who cares? ;)

I agree completely that people shouldn't be rewarded for potential. You may do good in the future so let me go ahead and give you a great honor. Yeah...it is like the sports teams that they now have where no child ever will lose and all kids get to play equally. Are we just turning into a lazy society that rewards potential? What ever happened to rewarding people for actually accomplishing something deserving of the honor? :confused3

I like Obama, I'm super liberal, but he didn't deserve it. What did he do exactly? He made plans. Yeah, so many people have made plans, but they didn't get the Nobel Prize! I think he'll deserve it in a couple of years when he's had enough time to do something major, and he will, then he'll deserve the Nobel Prize, but not now. I say give him time before you reward him so majorly. I like him, but we don't know if he'll be a great president, I mean we can't see into the future. I mean I think he'll be phenomenal, but you can't necessarily predict what he's going to do all the time.

Mahatma Ghandi has been nominated five times but hasn't gotten it once :(

I like Obama, I'm super liberal, but he didn't deserve it. What did he do exactly? He made plans. Yeah, so many people have made plans, but they didn't get the Nobel Prize! I think he'll deserve it in a couple of years when he's had enough time to do something major, and he will, then he'll deserve the Nobel Prize, but not now. I say give him time before you reward him so majorly. I like him, but we don't know if he'll be a great president, I mean we can't see into the future. I mean I think he'll be phenomenal, but you can't necessarily predict what he's going to do all the time.

Mahatma Ghandi has been nominated five times but hasn't gotten it once :(

as a previous poster mentioned, the Peace Prize (or, correct me if I'm wrong, any Nobel) cannot be award posthumously. When Ghandi was eligible, the society was run by bigoted white men who didn't award the Prize to Ghandi for both racial and political reasons. I agree that it's sickening, but that was then. Everybody at least recognizes Ghandi for the work he did now.

As for Obama getting it (and honestly, I cannot for the life of me remember if I've commented on this before), I'm proud that he got it. I think that the pressure of having won it now will keep him to his word later on. Now that he's a Peace Prize winner, he needs to live up to that. He's done some good stuff and he's promised more (I especially like the idea of reducing our nuclear arms, even if I don't think it's politically plausible) and I think that this will encourage him to keep his word.

Keep in mind that he isn't the first president to promise big things. And he's cleaning up a mess left by the previous president, too. The Iraq war is a disaster and half and is siphoning a good deal of money out of the government.

But all-in-all, I'm happy for him. I feel that while, at present, he isn't deserving of it, but in the future he will be thanks to the pressure this will put on him.

as a previous poster mentioned, the Peace Prize (or, correct me if I'm wrong, any Nobel) cannot be award posthumously. When Ghandi was eligible, the society was run by bigoted white men who didn't award the Prize to Ghandi for both racial and political reasons. I agree that it's sickening, but that was then. Everybody at least recognizes Ghandi for the work he did now.

As for Obama getting it (and honestly, I cannot for the life of me remember if I've commented on this before), I'm proud that he got it. I think that the pressure of having won it now will keep him to his word later on. Now that he's a Peace Prize winner, he needs to live up to that. He's done some good stuff and he's promised more (I especially like the idea of reducing our nuclear arms, even if I don't think it's politically plausible) and I think that this will encourage him to keep his word.

Keep in mind that he isn't the first president to promise big things. And he's cleaning up a mess left by the previous president, too. The Iraq war is a disaster and half and is siphoning a good deal of money out of the government.

But all-in-all, I'm happy for him. I feel that while, at present, he isn't deserving of it, but in the future he will be thanks to the pressure this will put on him.
We're trying to keep this thread politics free so it doesn't get closed.

i don't think what patti said was that political. certainly not on par with what another poster said. :confused3

All really great points Patti!! :thumbsup2

I don't think she said anything politically charged (in the bolded statement).
the dis rule is no political arguments, that doesn't mean you can't state facts that have to do the world of politics. :confused3

QUOTE]

I wouldnt call it a disaster.We did a lot of good over there and established a democracy.The Iraqi's have it much better now than before we went in.Also we can't blame those messes on the previous president.America has been funding the Taliban and Al-Qaeda since the 70's.So that makes it the fault of the presidents and CIA for the last 30 years.Please don't call the Iraq war a disaster it disrespects all the troops that served in Iraq.

i don't think what patti said was that political. certainly not on par with what another poster said. :confused3

All really great points Patti!! :thumbsup2

I don't think she said anything politically charged (in the bolded statement).
the dis rule is no political arguments, that doesn't mean you can't state facts that have to do the world of politics. :confused3
Are you kidding me? How is that not political? She's calling out the previous president for 'making a mess', siphoning money (even though some other people are doing it now), and calling the war a "disaster" even though it hasn't been. And now the thread will be closed...

Are you kidding me? How is that not political? She's calling out the previous president for 'making a mess', siphoning money (even though some other people are doing it now), and calling the war a "disaster" even though it hasn't been. And now the thread will be closed...

you're the only one making a big deal out of it. If you want the truth here it is: the Iraq war was originally bugeted at about 100 million USD by Bush's advisors. Currently, many economists put the total cost of war (this includes medical bills for soldiers wounded, what they pay the families of soldiers who have died [which is grossly under what they should be being paid], and repairs/new vehicles/weapons/armour/etc) at near 1-2 trillion USD. I call that a mess that siphons money out of the government.

and to Pecobill, I qualify it as a disaster because of these facts:
the documented civilian death toll is estimated at about 92,540 to 102,071.
the current military casualty number is 4,667 in Iraq (in Afghanistan, the original war where we had just cause, the number is 1,455).
the budget was, as previously mentioned, grossly underestimated.

I don't intend the soldiers any disrespect. I tender my disagreement with the people who made the decision to send them there.

That said, I'm done.

go re-read peco bill's posts and say that patti is the most politically charged one this thread. :rolleyes:

I don't think so. I think yourself, Shelby, the others, and I kept it very civil and pretty much politics free.
I agree with Shelby, Pecobill seems to be the one who brought most of the politics discussion in.
I wouldnt call it a disaster.We did a lot of good over there and established a democracy.The Iraqi's have it much better now than before we went in.Also we can't blame those messes on the previous president.America has been funding the Taliban and Al-Qaeda since the 70's.So that makes it the fault of the presidents and CIA for the last 30 years.Please don't call the Iraq war a disaster it disrespects all the troops that served in Iraq.
I would call it a disaster. A completely avoidable, hypocritical disaster.

And just because a person doesn't support the WAR, doesn't mean they don't support the soldiers.

and the stimulis bill isnt siphoning any money?

Okay, I don't get that. If another country thinks you're okay... that does create peace between countries... What did you think it created? Disaster?

I don't care for Obama that much, but when your president wins such an honored award you should at least be a little bit proud.

Neville Chamberlin didn't think that Adolf Hitler was a bad guy. Roosevelt didn't think Stalin was a monster.

not in my opinion. the stimulus bill was created and implemented to help our economy and, thus far, it seems it has.

The deficit has gone from $407 billion in 2008 to $1.42 trillion this year.

Unemployment is at 7.2%. However, if you've collected unemployment and are no longer qualified to receive it, the government doesn't count you. You can only collect the equivalent of 26 weeks of total unemployment benefits on a claim. The true unemployment numbers are higher.

As far as Obama getting the award,:rolleyes:. The only overseas work he did before the election was in Africa for, Odinga, a horrible criminal, who is accused of crimes against humanity. The nominations closed a few days after the inauguration. He didn't do jack diddily to get the award. There were 205 nominees submitted, among them people who have risked their lives for their beliefs, such as Chinese dissident, Hu Jia.

The all male, white European Nobel committee gave the 2nd Nobel Peace Prize award in 1905 to Bertha von Suttner, a woman.

Neville Chamberlin didn't think that Adolf Hitler was a bad guy. Roosevelt didn't think Stalin was a monster.

The deficit has gone from $407 billion in 2008 to $1.42 trillion this year.

Unemployment is at 7.2%. However, if you've collected unemployment and are no longer qualified to receive it, the government doesn't count you. You can only collect the equivalent of 26 weeks of total unemployment benefits on a claim. The true unemployment numbers are higher.

As far as Obama getting the award,:rolleyes:. The only overseas work he did before the election was in Africa for, Odinga, a horrible criminal, who is accused of crimes against humanity. The nominations closed a few days after the inauguration. He didn't do jack diddily to get the award. There were 205 nominees submitted, among them people who have risked their lives for their beliefs, such as Chinese dissident, Hu Jia.

The all male, white European Nobel committee gave the 2nd Nobel Peace Prize award in 1905 to Bertha von Suttner, a woman.
Fact.

Couldn't agree more.
The numbers speak for itself.

I don't think that he should have won it. What has he done so far other than become the first black president as well as trying to put forth a new plan for health care... that's just as broken as the current system?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter