Non Disney w/ EMH????

It's no different than any other hotel on property during a busy season -

How do you see it that way? there are more than 20 hotels on Disney property and only 1 campground? If you can't get a room at one hotel, there's usually at least one other hotel where you can get a room. It may not be your first choice, but you will probably get a room. If there are no campsites at Fort Wilderness, you can't stay on Disney property. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm willing to bet that pitching your tent in a garden area at the Poly is frowned upon. :rolleyes1

Obviously our problem is you are self oriented and I am not. So be it. I will try not to get in your way at the buffet line so that we may peacefully coexist.

FORTWILDERNESSGUY I LOVE YOU MAN :thumbsup2

I had no idea seasoned dissers could be so insulting-this thread is beyond ridiculous & unfair to the OP. People come up with all kinds of tricks to abuse the system and for the most part everyone else goes along. These campsite folks are really hardcore-I would lying if I said I was afraid:rolleyes1

Seriously I have read these boards for over a year now-planning and saving for my dream trip and for the first time have gotten a really bad taste-not because of the person suggesting to book the "throwaway" but for those against it and the tone. Several attacked character and attitude. Maybe those busy reporting every self proclaimed "wrong" to disney, maybe somebody should be talking to the mods about this thread!

BTW-I hate camping, would never camp and personally don't really care much for the outdoors at all-my right, and just so you know before I am attacked would never go to the trouble of booking a throwaway to get EMH-I'd be afraid I might have to actually camp there!

I had no idea seasoned dissers could be so insulting-this thread is beyond ridiculous & unfair to the OP. People come up with all kinds of tricks to abuse the system and for the most part everyone else goes along. These campsite folks are really hardcore-I would lying if I said I was afraid:rolleyes1

Seriously I have read these boards for over a year now-planning and saving for my dream trip and for the first time have gotten a really bad taste-not because of the person suggesting to book the "throwaway" but for those against it and the tone. Several attacked character and attitude. Maybe those busy reporting every self proclaimed "wrong" to disney, maybe somebody should be talking to the mods about this thread!

BTW-I hate camping, would never camp and personally don't really care much for the outdoors at all-my right, and just so you know before I am attacked would never go to the trouble of booking a throwaway to get EMH-I'd be afraid I might have to actually camp there!

Shame on you! Shame on all of you who would even consider doing this. Shame on all of you who look the other way because you think that it doesn't affect you. Shame on all of you who try to justify the bad behavior of others because it suits you. Shame on all of you who would belittle us for wanting to live our dream. Perhaps one day if the shoe is on the other foot you will finally understand how it feels. I hope for your sake that you never have to experience those feelings firsthand. :sad2:

Shame on you! Shame on all of you who would even consider doing this. Shame on all of you who look the other way because you think that it doesn't affect you. Shame on all of you who try to justify the bad behavior of others because it suits you. Shame on all of you who would belittle us for wanting to live our dream. Perhaps one day if the shoe is on the other foot you will finally understand how it feels. I hope for your sake that you never have to experience those feelings firsthand. :sad2:

I have no shame because I have never done it-never entered my mind to do it and won't do it. And it actually doesn't affect me??? The shame should lie in the people here who are supposed to help people who come here asking for advice. A simple "yes you could do that but it really it is unfair to those of us that do camp because there are limited spaces....." or something to that effect would come across much better and less attacking to the original question and suggestion. The OP is trying to live the dream to and yet there is no shame in the belittling that has been done there.

Like I said, I really wouldn't do it-too much trouble and added expense for something I plan to avoid anyway, but I really don't see how it helps you if I actually camp there?? It is booked either way right? If I am actually a camper then I am am "good enough"??? Who is belittling now?

but I really don't see how it helps you if I actually camp there?? It is booked either way right? If I am actually a camper then I am am "good enough"??? Who is belittling now?

Your "worth" wasn't the point. What is offensive to those of us who love to camp is the idea of booking a site that you are not using. People refer to these as "throwaway" sites because, to them, they are worthless. To us, on the other hand, they are an enjoyable way to spend our time at Disney.

I'm glad to hear that you would never do this. In fact, the majority of posters on this thread have said the same thing. I'll take heart in that.

Someone has their sleeping bag in a bunch......

In my opinion there is no bad behavior to justify in the first place....What is bad about spending ones own hard earned money the way they choose?? :confused3 As I previously stated we live in a first come, first serve society...

I have never booked a campsite to take advantage of the on-site perks such as EMH but I wouldn't not do it as it makes perfect sense. I think that I may just have to try it during my 14 day half off site half on site WDW trip in Apr-May just to see first hand how it works out.....:goodvibes

How do you see it that way? there are more than 20 hotels on Disney property and only 1 campground? If you can't get a room at one hotel, there's usually at least one other hotel where you can get a room. It may not be your first choice, but you will probably get a room. If there are no campsites at Fort Wilderness, you can't stay on Disney property. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm willing to bet that pitching your tent in a garden area at the Poly is frowned upon. :rolleyes1

No doubt. But the argument being made here is the low price point is one of the benefits (not the only one, I get that - no need to attack). That being said, there are 4 value resorts. If they are all busy, say at Christmas, and Disney tells me they would be happy to honor my reservation but only concierge level at the Poly for the low, low price of $550 a night (I am making that up, no idea what the price is), well, yes, the hotel is available but not really a viable option if my goal was a value to save money. Again, please keep in mind, I don't camp. In fact, I despise it. So I'd be hard pressed to have a conversation about the best places around to go camping. However, if Disney were all booked up and your goal but affordable sleeping under the stars with your cup of joe while smoke your cigarette (I didn't bother to actually quote the pp but it is around here somewhere), there are other campgrounds - just search google. As for this thread, it has lost its usefulness.

The reason people get upset has nothing to do with free dining. People get upset because these cheap tent sites are few and far between. Especially since Disney has refurbed many of the loops to concrete slabs that you can't stake a tent into. Some people prefer tent camping, others can't afford to go to WDW any other way. It frustrates campers to be shut out of the dates they wanted only to find out that somebody else booked a site and didn't actually use it.

This is all that needed to be said... the rest of the lambasting is off-base and just flat out bullshift.

I've been camping at Ft wilderness for 9 months more than than the 35 years i've been alive... (I'm the best WDW souvenir ever, if i say so myself) and the idea simply makes sense if you have the money to throw away.

After all the recent complaints about noise and clotheslines, I'm surprised more DIS FW campers aren't cheering.
If people are willing to spend the extra money for just the parking and EMH, then hey, they are getting their money's worth.

BUT:

Me n Dad just get up at the buttcrack of dawn the day the campsite comes open, because the honest fact is it is and has always been the only way we can afford to go or want to go to Disney. I guess I'm 'poor' (middle class), and I'm ok with that.

I'd suggest however that rather than "camping" with a disposable site and actually staying off site, you check into renting a cabin, or even renting a camper at the fort.
When the OP looked it made a lot more sense to stay onsite, and that is usually the case, unless you are a local and it is a holiday or something.

If it is even within $$50 pre diem close to the combined cost, you are far better off actually staying on-property rather than using a tent site as a 'disposable' and sleeping offsite. You can pop out for lunch and go back into the park, you don't have to be up as early, the transpo to get you to the parks is timely and efficient, and maybe most important to me, the boys and I can snooze on the way there and back :)

We had to stay in a hotel off-site once for 2 days until a campsite opened up, and it was completely miserable... an hour or more to get in the park, tired and exhausted after an entire day spent in the park, (and buying lunch onsite) we had to drag ourselves back an hour+ to the hotel, and in 5 hours be up to do it again. I would never voluntarily choose to spend extra money to do that!

In the end if you choose to buy the product and not use all of it, that is your business.
First come first served. If I buy the last sugar-free desert and toss it because I want a souvenir plate, you should `ave got there first... otherwise it is my cake to do with as I please.
:hug:

Reduced to its essence, this argument says you can't buy anything ethically unless you are prepared to use it to its fullest, because every resource is finite, not just campgrounds. For example, buying a combo meal but throwing away the fries is contributing to world hunger, etc.

And, at some level, this is actually true. But, most of us don't actually live our lives this way. Indeed, I suspect most of us don't even think about it until we find ourselves on the short end of the finite-resource stick. And, by virtue of the fact that we can all afford vacations at Disneyworld, be they campgrounds or concierge suites, those times are few and far between relative to the vast majority of the planet's population who are geniunely poverty-stricken.

One of my research projects involves providing access to the Information Economy in countries like Ethiopia. After spending a few months thinking about the problems these people have, I can tell you that arguing over who is more entitled to book an $80/night campsite couldn't be more pointless.

As an aside, there is a lot of really interesting literature on "moral economies", and for better or worse, they don't scale past the level of very small communities.

Have to go teach. Feel free to continue the discussion without me.

Well put. One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others.

No doubt. But the argument being made here is the low price point is one of the benefits (not the only one, I get that - no need to attack). That being said, there are 4 value resorts. If they are all busy, say at Christmas, and Disney tells me they would be happy to honor my reservation but only concierge level at the Poly for the low, low price of $550 a night (I am making that up, no idea what the price is), well, yes, the hotel is available but not really a viable option if my goal was a value to save money. Again, please keep in mind, I don't camp. In fact, I despise it. So I'd be hard pressed to have a conversation about the best places around to go camping. However, if Disney were all booked up and your goal but affordable sleeping under the stars with your cup of joe while smoke your cigarette (I didn't bother to actually quote the pp but it is around here somewhere), there are other campgrounds - just search google. As for this thread, it has lost its usefulness.

Wow...we actually agree :love:

Sorry you felt attacked. I really didn't mean for you take it that way. I was just trying to point out that the campers have NO other option at WDW. So even if it's a financial situation, there are still 4 values to choose from. Once the campground is full, the unfortunate camper is FORCED to stay off-property.

Sorry OP, the person who had actualy done it was "Connie", who for some reason I had thought was the OP!

In the same vein, though, would it be "immoral" if I get a cheap motel room offsite, rent myself a tent site, put a cheap tent on it, and periodically come back to my tent to picnic, change clothes in my tent, use the pool and hang out, but then go back to my motel to sleep?

Sorry OP, the person who had actualy done it was "Connie", who for some reason I had thought was the OP!

In the same vein, though, would it be "immoral" if I get a cheap motel room offsite, rent myself a tent site, put a cheap tent on it, and periodically come back to my tent to picnic, change clothes in my tent, use the pool and hang out, but then go back to my motel to sleep?

I think I would take the campsite over a cheap motel...esp after having stopped in what was supposed to be a step above a cheap motel on my way from TX to TN and actually stepped into a room that was covered in Feces, roaches, and mold. Outside the little critters and such are expected, but inside YUCK...I'll take camping over cheap motel any day.

But, thank you to the Fort Wilderness folks who put an idea in my head...LOL. My Best friend and I are looking to do a girls weekend down to florida next year when my DH is deployed (as kind of a way to get my mind off it around my anniversary). I think that instead of spending money on a room we will barely be in that the campsite would be fun. We actually met in college when we were paired up at Tent mates in ROTC...so it would be kind of like reliving our first meeting. LOL. I deff think that if my husband wasnt so anticamping on vacation (because he "camps for a year at a time") he would be more open to it too esp since it saves money...a lot of money. I will deff keep the camping in mind for future vacations...as it seems like it would be really fun.

But, thank you to the Fort Wilderness folks who put an idea in my head...LOL. My Best friend and I are looking to do a girls weekend down to florida next year when my DH is deployed (as kind of a way to get my mind off it around my anniversary). I think that instead of spending money on a room we will barely be in that the campsite would be fun. We actually met in college when we were paired up at Tent mates in ROTC...so it would be kind of like reliving our first meeting. LOL. I deff think that if my husband wasnt so anticamping on vacation (because he "camps for a year at a time" he would be more open to it too esp since it saves money...a lot of money). I will deff keep the camping in mind for future vacations...as it seems like it would be really fun.

Please, forgive me for not taking the time to thank you and your husband for your service to our awesome country! If not for you fine folks, none of us would even have the opportunity to discuss/debate ANY issues!!! So, THANK YOU!!!! :grouphug: And if you should find yourself camping at the Fort, enjoy it! It has so much to offer! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter