Norway Cruise (+Iceland/Copenhagen/Dover) TIPS (consolidated)

Are either the Holborn or Euston station tube where we can catch a train to
Dover?

Also, how much time should be allowed for a train from Dover to either Gatwick or Heathrow?

Dover to St Pancras is about an hour. If you're going to Gatwick, you change platforms and will then wait for a train heading to Gatwick. Depending on the time you get to the platform for Gatwick you might walk right onto one or wait for 20 minutes (both have happened to me in the last year!). Then it's about an hour to Gatwick. It's easy but it's not entirely fast. You could take a taxi from St Pancras to Victoria and take the Gatwick express but it'll cost more and won't save *that* much time.

If you're after LHR it's about an hour on the Underground from St Pancras (Piccadilly line, no changes all the way). Or you can take the tube/taxi to Paddington and then move to Heathrow Express. That would save a bit of time but more moving around/higher cost. I find the high speed to the Piccadilly line to LHR is the easiest of all the options but I'll fly from Gatwick if it's cheaper.

Be aware that ON-peak train fares on the High Speed line are high (I think it's currently at £72pp return). My off-peak return (I live one stop up from Dover) to LHR (it included the underground) 2 weeks ago was £42. Peak is before 10am.

All that said, you can book a taxi from Dover to either airport for £100 (Gatwick) or £120 (LHR) - we've done both as well and I can advise on good companies around here :)

Dover to St Pancras is about an hour. If you're going to Gatwick, you change platforms and will then wait for a train heading to Gatwick. Depending on the time you get to the platform for Gatwick you might walk right onto one or wait for 20 minutes (both have happened to me in the last year!). Then it's about an hour to Gatwick. It's easy but it's not entirely fast. You could take a taxi from St Pancras to Victoria and take the Gatwick express but it'll cost more and won't save *that* much time.

If you're after LHR it's about an hour on the Underground from St Pancras (Piccadilly line, no changes all the way). Or you can take the tube/taxi to Paddington and then move to Heathrow Express. That would save a bit of time but more moving around/higher cost. I find the high speed to the Piccadilly line to LHR is the easiest of all the options but I'll fly from Gatwick if it's cheaper.

Be aware that ON-peak train fares on the High Speed line are high (I think it's currently at £72pp return). My off-peak return (I live one stop up from Dover) to LHR (it included the underground) 2 weeks ago was £42. Peak is before 10am.

All that said, you can book a taxi from Dover to either airport for £100 (Gatwick) or £120 (LHR) - we've done both as well and I can advise on good companies around here :)

Good summary, but to clarify, @ St Pancrus it's not just changing platforms as such, the trains " Thameslink" to Gatwick, are underground there, so do not stay and wait on the same platforms to change, it's down under the station.

Good summary, but to clarify, @ St Pancrus it's not just changing platforms as such, the trains " Thameslink" to Gatwick, are underground there, so do not stay and wait on the same platforms to change, it's down under the station.

Very true. Looking at the boards once off the escalator (across from Starbucks) is probably the best advice. note: it's St Pancras with an "a" - took me a good 3 years living here to realise that it wasn't St Pancreas, like the organ ;)

Very true. Looking at the boards once off the escalator (across from Starbucks) is probably the best advice. note: it's St Pancras with an "a" - took me a good 3 years living here to realise that it wasn't St Pancreas, like the organ ;)

Apple spell check doesn't help.

Wow! Lots of great information. I had looked at private cars and they were about £170 each way. A bit pricey especially with currency conversion to USD (unless I find someone interested in sharing). Please do advise on the good companies you mentioned.

Wow! Lots of great information. I had looked at private cars and they were about £170 each way. A bit pricey especially with currency conversion to USD (unless I find someone interested in sharing). Please do advise on the good companies you mentioned.

We really, really like Premier Taxis Folkestone (local business!) - lots of family and friends have used them from my house to both airports. Rates depend on the size of the car you choose and which airport but I'm seeing £75-115 for single way. You have to pay in advance for someone to come collect you at the airport, but if it's from Dover to the airport you'll be able to pay on the day.

Stay away from JJ's; they've made too many mistakes with family members for me to recommend them.

We really, really like Premier Taxis Folkestone (local business!) - lots of family and friends have used them from my house to both airports. Rates depend on the size of the car you choose and which airport but I'm seeing £75-115 for single way. You have to pay in advance for someone to come collect you at the airport, but if it's from Dover to the airport you'll be able to pay on the day.

Stay away from JJ's; they've made too many mistakes with family members for me to recommend them.
Another vote for Premier Taxis Folkestone based on my lovely friend @lolainkent mentioned! We used them after we disembarked in Dover to our hotel in London and the price was very fair and great service. We had Stuart and he took great care of us :)

Heather

I have just checked : for two adults with return tickets off peak, it is 81,80£, or 20,45£ Per adult per trip.
If you come from London, it might still be a good deal if you are 2-3 people. Not sure if you come directly from the airport.
Also, if you register with the train line website they may offer you a discount to use online and sometimes send you offers so that might be interesting as well.

I just saw that national express which is a very reputable bus company propose one way tickets from London to Dover for 5 pounds per person. That is a good deal but it takes a minimum of 2h15 min to reach destination (more than twice the time of the train ).

Heathrow airport.

Piccadilly tube line to London.
Or
Heathrow Express or Heathrow connect ( slower) to Paddington.

Gatwick.

Gatwick express to Victoria.
Southern trains to Victoria.
Thameslink to St Pancras.

Please avoid London Bridge.

Note Oyster cards work on Piccadilly line from Heathrow and shortly on services from Gatwick, 1/1/2016.

If you want, maps, details, photos of Dover, navigators and videos of embarkation at Dover, then look at my trip report link below.

I just saw that national express which is a very reputable bus company propose one way tickets from London to Dover for 5 pounds per person. That is a good deal but it takes a minimum of 2h15 min to reach destination (more than twice the time of the train ).

Takes ages.....avoid.

2hr 15 on a very good day, gets caught in traffic, avoid.
Stops at Dover Eastern docks for France, and not at Eastern cruise docks.

Thanks for the comment ! Having not used the service it is good to have that feedback.

Yes, I work and live in London, and one hour from Dover, and cruised there many times. I wouldn't recommend National express, bar for students and those on low incomes who cannot afford the Train or Taxi service, there is a link above for alternative coach transfers with a visit or sightseeing, - Canterbury/ Harry Potter, feedback is there good.

I have just checked : for two adults with return tickets off peak, it is 81,80£, or 20,45£ Per adult per trip.
If you come from London, it might still be a good deal if you are 2-3 people. Not sure if you come directly from the airport.
Also, if you register with the train line website they may offer you a discount to use online and sometimes send you offers so that might be interesting as well.

Was that on National Rail? From what I've seen, I'm guessing that's the train line we'll need.

Train line is just a website that collides all train lines times and let you book directly. Since you have several commercial lines it is worth having a look first and check which one you take !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter