Norway Cruise (+Iceland/Copenhagen/Dover) TIPS (consolidated)

I'm sure there are areas in Copenhagen that might be unsafe, as there are in any large city - though Copenhagen's really not that large. However, only speaking from our experience I never once felt unsafe anywhere we went. We chose to walk everywhere and only used a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the pier. We stayed in the city center across the street from town hall. There was always so many other people around, I felt perfectly safe. Of course one should always take the proper precautions against pick pockets in large crowds, but I don't believe Copenhagen is one of those cities that is notorious for that.

Have fun! You and your daughter will love it. We went to both the Christianborg and Rosenborg Palaces and they were wonderful. The view from the tower at Chrisianborg is beautiful. I would also suggest a canal tour your first day. It's a great way to orient yourself with the city. Once you learn the lay of the land a bit, it's really very easy to explore on your own.

A couple of weeks ago we got the shuttle from the ship to Tivoli at 8pm post Palo. We then walked all the way back, from Hans Anderson boulevard, via Parliament and Nyhaven to the ship. We got back at 10.15, including buying shirts at Hard Rock and Going to the little mermaid. We felt safe all of the time.

I felt less safe in Copenhagen than I had when we visited Japan a few years back or than I did in Sweden. That being said, I felt safer than I do here in Seattle. Don't walk alone at night, but with another or in groups you should be fine. Learn the "iffy" areas and stay away at night. It's like any other city. And keep in mind, it is light out pretty late, that helps.

Another question. Marriott Copenhagen or Radisson Blu?

I haven't stayed at either, but the Blu is right next to the train station and there is a grocery store right by it. If there is any chance the distortion festival is going on, I'd choose the Blu hands down. When the festival is going on there is an all night (and I mean all night) really loud outdoor nightclub that goes on near the Langebro bridge, and the Marriot is right there. We stayed close by during distortion and had to pay to go stay at another hotel because it as so loud myself and my oldest son couldn't sleep.

I haven't stayed at either, but the Blu is right next to the train station and there is a grocery store right by it. If there is any chance the distortion festival is going on, I'd choose the Blu hands down. When the festival is going on there is an all night (and I mean all night) really loud outdoor nightclub that goes on near the Langebro bridge, and the Marriot is right there. We stayed close by during distortion and had to pay to go stay at another hotel because it as so loud myself and my oldest son couldn't sleep.
Wich hotel you recommend me?

Sorry for the delay in responding with an update!

We did indeed take the Eurostar on Saturday, 7/11 and everything went perfectly! As mentioned we took the first train at 6:18am and the last one from Paris around 8:20pm. The weather was sunny and actually quite warm. I'm so glad I paid the private guide as I didn't have to do the travel planning once we arrived. He kept to our list and we were able to see everything we wanted and my DH, DS, and best friend and DS loved every minute of it. No regrets and we met people on the train going and coming who had done the same.

It was really cool on the train back to London, we started chatting with the family next to us and they were on our cruise :) We enjoyed chatting with them and it's really a small world.

We stayed at the Premier Inn St. Pancras and loved it. We really miss it!

Heather

Hi again! I am still trying to plan out our time in London next summer after our cruise and am thinking strongly of doing the trip to Paris as you did. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.....Where did the guide meet you? And who did you use as a tour guide? Is it far from the train station to the Eiffel tower? Did you walk most places or use taxi's? Any other advice of do's and don'ts you would recommend? Was there time to go into the Louvre? Thanks so much in advance! :) :) :) I really appreciate it!

Hi again! I am still trying to plan out our time in London next summer after our cruise and am thinking strongly of doing the trip to Paris as you did. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.....Where did the guide meet you? And who did you use as a tour guide? Is it far from the train station to the Eiffel tower? Did you walk most places or use taxi's? Any other advice of do's and don'ts you would recommend? Was there time to go into the Louvre? Thanks so much in advance! :) :) :) I really appreciate it!
Hi! No I surely don't mind :) I knew ahead of time that securing the Eiffel Tower tickets via their website directly would be "tricky" as they sell out in one minute (not kidding!). I didn't book the guide until I knew if I was lucky getting tickets and what time. My friend and I both logged in to the Eiffel Tower website at 2:00 or 2:30am EST (can't remember now) and had a plan and luckily my friend was the lucky one and secured 11:30am tickets on the day I needed. After I knew this, I wrote to our guide David who I booked with www.toursbylocals.com and chose a 7 hour private tour since I knew we'd be leaving on the 8pm Eurostar back to London and could hire him from around 12:30pm. He suggested that we meet in front of Eiffel Tower at the Caroussel and luckily I had seen his picture on their website so I knew who to look for. I had my husband ask, "are you David" and luckily he was, lol.

The tour we worked out was (in no order): Grand Palais/Invalides, Concorde/Madeleine, Louvre, Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, Luxembourg/Pantheon/Ile St Louis, Marais, Montmarte, Arc de Triumphe, Opera, phew that's it I think.

Since we were doing the Eiffel Tower on our own, we took the bus to get there from the train station. It was very easy and I picked bus #42 as it starts at Gare du Nord, has a very scenic route and goes to the Eiffel Tower. I think it took about 20 minutes which wasn't bad at all. On the tour with David we did mostly walking but then due to being exhausted and so we'd have more time, he took us on the metro and also used the public busses. We did not use taxis with him as there would have been 6 total including him and too complicated. Even though I've been to Paris several times, the fact I didn't have to figure out the metro and worry about any of that was worth it as it was the only way we could see and do all that we did in those 7 hours.

The plan for the Louvre was to only go there and see it from the outside (again I've been there before but the rest of the group had not). After we were with David, he asked if we wanted to go in as he gets "front of the line access" and said he could do the highlights in about 30 minutes. I know how overwhelming an entire day there would be, but I also knew that my friend and DH/DS likely wouldn't be back anytime soon and it wasn't that much so I said heck, let's do it, so we did. They all want to go back now and spend more time there :)

I had mentioned to him on the side that I really wanted to try a macaron so he found a nice place and it was simply AMAZING! We also had yummy ice cream while we were walking but we ALL still talk about those macarons so I would highly recommend just stopping and grabbing some and enjoying a quick cafe break if you can.

Like I said, we were exhausted but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and have no regrets. Let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to PM me if needed.

Heather

Hi! No I surely don't mind :) I knew ahead of time that securing the Eiffel Tower tickets via their website directly would be "tricky" as they sell out in one minute (not kidding!). I didn't book the guide until I knew if I was lucky getting tickets and what time. My friend and I both logged in to the Eiffel Tower website at 2:00 or 2:30am EST (can't remember now) and had a plan and luckily my friend was the lucky one and secured 11:30am tickets on the day I needed. After I knew this, I wrote to our guide David who I booked with www.toursbylocals.com and chose a 7 hour private tour since I knew we'd be leaving on the 8pm Eurostar back to London and could hire him from around 12:30pm. He suggested that we meet in front of Eiffel Tower at the Caroussel and luckily I had seen his picture on their website so I knew who to look for. I had my husband ask, "are you David" and luckily he was, lol.

The tour we worked out was (in no order): Grand Palais/Invalides, Concorde/Madeleine, Louvre, Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, Luxembourg/Pantheon/Ile St Louis, Marais, Montmarte, Arc de Triumphe, Opera, phew that's it I think.

Since we were doing the Eiffel Tower on our own, we took the bus to get there from the train station. It was very easy and I picked bus #42 as it starts at Gare du Nord, has a very scenic route and goes to the Eiffel Tower. I think it took about 20 minutes which wasn't bad at all. On the tour with David we did mostly walking but then due to being exhausted and so we'd have more time, he took us on the metro and also used the public busses. We did not use taxis with him as there would have been 6 total including him and too complicated. Even though I've been to Paris several times, the fact I didn't have to figure out the metro and worry about any of that was worth it as it was the only way we could see and do all that we did in those 7 hours.

The plan for the Louvre was to only go there and see it from the outside (again I've been there before but the rest of the group had not). After we were with David, he asked if we wanted to go in as he gets "front of the line access" and said he could do the highlights in about 30 minutes. I know how overwhelming an entire day there would be, but I also knew that my friend and DH/DS likely wouldn't be back anytime soon and it wasn't that much so I said heck, let's do it, so we did. They all want to go back now and spend more time there :)

I had mentioned to him on the side that I really wanted to try a macaron so he found a nice place and it was simply AMAZING! We also had yummy ice cream while we were walking but we ALL still talk about those macarons so I would highly recommend just stopping and grabbing some and enjoying a quick cafe break if you can.

Like I said, we were exhausted but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and have no regrets. Let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to PM me if needed.

Heather
Wow! Thank you so very much Heather! Lots to think about!! I so appreciate you taking the time to answer me. Now I have to make decisions and wait to book various tickets. I may PM you as our trip gets closer next summer. Thanks!!

I'm looking for hotels near the British museum but I'm not sure what the area is called (ie Victoria, Kings Cross, etc.). Can one of you tell me so I can narrow my search? Also let me know if the area is ok to stay in.

Thanks!

I'm looking for hotels near the British museum but I'm not sure what the area is called (ie Victoria, Kings Cross, etc.). Can one of you tell me so I can narrow my search? Also let me know if the area is ok to stay in.

Thanks!

I think it's Bloomsbury? Look for hotels near Russel Square :)

It's a relatively safe area, lot of students (there are a few student residences around there, and the University of London campus is not far) and plenty of tourists.

The area in London is called Bloomsbury. It's a popular tourist destination for hotels. It's also close to Euston Station (the area is to the south of the station) it you're looking at a map.

Thanks!

For Paris i think trying to do all of that in one day is a bit mad and will cost you an astronomical amount of money... I am from there and I would never recommend doing the day trip to the city, especially right now as there have been huge issues in the Eurostar due to the immigrant situation. Take two days, think of a solution in case your train does not run and have a safe trip!

I just re-read my post and I think some people might think I don't recommend Paris : I absolutely do, as well as London which are both amazing, just not in one day, especially if you need to catch a plane ! I am from Paris but I live now in London so I will happily give you recommendations for both cities.

Last edited:

Thanks!

I think it's Bloomsbury? Look for hotels near Russel Square :)

It's a relatively safe area, lot of students (there are a few student residences around there, and the University of London campus is not far) and plenty of tourists.

The area in London is called Bloomsbury. It's a popular tourist destination for hotels. It's also close to Euston Station (the area is to the south of the station) it you're looking at a map.

For British Museum the area is Holborn, get a hotel near Holborn tube.

For British Museum the area is Holborn, get a hotel near Holborn tube.

Are either the Holborn or Euston station tube where we can catch a train to
Dover?

Also, how much time should be allowed for a train from Dover to either Gatwick or Heathrow?

Are either the Holborn or Euston station tube where we can catch a train to
Dover?

Also, how much time should be allowed for a train from Dover to either Gatwick or Heathrow?

You are very close at these. Euston you can walk to St Pancrus a direct service from there, Holborn a short taxi ride or the tube to St Pancrus. Full maps details and photos on my summer 2015 trip report below. " To Russia with Mickey Bars" that cruise left Dover.

Holborn is a nicer area if you want to be there. Euston at night is a train neighbourhood and can be a bit dodgy. Holborn is about 2 tube station away from saint Pancras where you can find the train to Dover.
My advice : avoid small hotels as they are generally not fantastic and go for a branch. Grange Holborn is good value for money. Holiday inn had the smallest room I ever saw.

Holborn is a nicer area if you want to be there. Euston at night is a train neighbourhood and can be a bit dodgy. Holborn is about 2 tube station away from saint Pancras where you can find the train to Dover.
My advice : avoid small hotels as they are generally not fantastic and go for a branch. Grange Holborn is good value for money. Holiday inn had the smallest room I ever saw.
I do not find Euston a bit dodgy, it was in the past, not now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter