Norway Cruise (+Iceland/Copenhagen/Dover) TIPS (consolidated)

Our sailing starts in Dover and ends in Copenhagen. In order to use reward miles, I could only get roundtrip to/from Heathrow. On the return, what time do I need to schedule a flight from Copenhagen in order to make a 2:25 flight out of Heathrow? Or what time should I land at Heathrow in order to have enough time (customs, etc.) to get on that 2:25 flight? I would really appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!

Our sailing starts in Dover and ends in Copenhagen. In order to use reward miles, I could only get roundtrip to/from Heathrow. On the return, what time do I need to schedule a flight from Copenhagen in order to make a 2:25 flight out of Heathrow? Or what time should I land at Heathrow in order to have enough time (customs, etc.) to get on that 2:25 flight? I would really appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!

Difficult one the first thing in your advantage is Copenhagen is an hour in front of the UK and the flight is two hours.

Now do not expect to get off at Copenhagen too early you have to allow for say 9am. then to get to the airport then to check in so 11.30am most likely is the earliest time. but then add an hour for the flight that's 12.30pm Heathrow its tight.

There is a 7:30 AM flight that arrives at 8:35 so I guess I'll book that one to be safe!

Thanks so much Disney Fantasy! Enjoyed your last trip report!

There is a 7:30 AM flight that arrives at 8:35 so I guess I'll book that one to be safe!

Thanks so much Disney Fantasy! Enjoyed your last trip report!
Are you flying on the same airline from CPH to LHR as from LHR to your home? If so, you might be able to have a tighter connection as some airlines will treat you as a connecting passenger (and make sure you get on a later flight if the first one is delayed) even if flying on separate tickets. -- Suzanne

Are you flying on the same airline from CPH to LHR as from LHR to your home? If so, you might be able to have a tighter connection as some airlines will treat you as a connecting passenger (and make sure you get on a later flight if the first one is delayed) even if flying on separate tickets. -- Suzanne
Thanks Suzanne! We are on American for the transatlantic and British for the flight from CPH. Do they "code share"?

How many days are enough to see Copenhagen before my cruise next year?

It depends on what interests you. This is what I would do:

1-2 days to do the sights in Copenhagen, such as the National Museum (totally free and really fantastic), a canal boat tour, go see The Little Mermaid, The Round Tower, Tivoli, etc.
1 day to go to Roskilde to see the Viking Ship Museum and the Cathedral (get there when the museum opens and book a ride in a boat out in the harbor)
1 day to go up and see Kronborg Castle
If Hans Christian Andersen really interests you, I'd also add on a day to go to Odense and see his house, etc.

And that's if you don't bother to go over to Sweden, which I highly recommend!

Last edited:
Depends on where in Sweden. For Malmo, train. Stockholm, plane. Highly recommend a few days (or weeks) in Stockholm if you can swing in. Loved it, better than Copenhagen!

Depends on where in Sweden. For Malmo, train. Stockholm, plane. Highly recommend a few days (or weeks) in Stockholm if you can swing in. Loved it, better than Copenhagen!
Yes we loved it too. Went this July and it was a highlight. I thought if it was easy we would go back. The Abba museum rocked.

We were there 3 days and never left the city. We still felt we didn't see everything we wanted to within Copenhagen itself. I would have loved to have ventured outside to Roskilde, Fredensborg Palace, etc. but we just ran out of time. So I would recommend allowing as much time as your schedule and budget will allow. Copenhagen is a wonderful city and the residents are so warm and welcoming. You'll love it!

I second DahliaRW's assessment of the National Museum. What a wonderful place! We only had about 3 or 4 hours to spend there, but I could have stayed the day. There were exhibits from all over the world. It was incredible, and as noted above - Free!! Don't miss the white bus exhibit if it is still there when you go. Heartbreaking but fascinating at the same time.

Ahh, if only I was sitting by the canal in Nyhavn right now....................

How many days are enough to see Copenhagen before my cruise next year?
I know you've received excellent suggestions already but wanted to throw in another "don't miss Copenhagen!" :) We visited 7 countries during our vacation/cruise and Copenhagen was very high in the ranking (might be #2) for our favorite for the vacation.

We arrived from the US on Friday around lunch time and cruise departed Monday. I thought it was sufficient time but we also explored shortly after arriving, then all day Sat and Sun and easily walked a minimum of 10 miles each day so we covered a lot of ground, literally! I would have loved another day so I'd say 3 full days would be ideal.

We also took the train to Malmo with another couple from our cruise group and we all loved it. It was very easy to do it and not even 20 minutes as I recall. We also walked around everywhere in Malmo and were there until after we ate lunch, then headed back to Copenhagen. No regrets at all about visiting Malmo - loved it.

Getting there several days ahead helped ease the jet lag, get adjusted to the time difference, catch up on sleep so I highly recommend coming in a few days early if you are flying overseas.

Have fun!

Heather

We did 2 1/2 days in Copenhagen prior to our cruise. I think 2 days minimum and any number max, depending on how much you want to see and in what depth. If you have kids, you could make Tivoli an entire day. We did the free walking tour, which gave us a very good idea of the general history and layout of the main points of interest in the central city. There is a second tour or Christiantown which I would have loved to have done, but must be done on separate days due to timing. We did some shopping and poking around the Stroget. Ate at several very good restaurants. Saw the Paris Opera Ballet's premier of Paquita at the Royal Opera House in Copenhagen. That was spectacular. We didn't do museums and castles because we knew we'd get them on the cruise and there were other sites that would appeal to all of us (4 kids included.) Copenhagen is a very easy city to get around, so depending on how much you WANT to see, you could pack in a lot.

Thank you so much!!!! just me and my 15yo daughter, how safe will be for us walking at night? Our cruise begin on Wednesday, so I was thinking to get there Sunday morning and leave Thursday (1 day after cruise)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter