Norwegian Fjords 2020

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever seen the Norwegian Fjords offered earlier in the summer? I'm really wanting to book this for our 10 year anniversary but going in late August wouldn't work with our sons school schedule. Praying they offer it earlier in the summer for 2020!

Anyone ever seen the Norwegian Fjords offered earlier in the summer? I'm really wanting to book this for our 10 year anniversary but going in late August wouldn't work with our sons school schedule. Praying they offer it earlier in the summer for 2020!
They were in May and June from 2015-2017. So far all the dates they've offered have been either too early or too late for our school schedule. We were very happy when they switched to doing the Northern ones later in the summer--it's the only way we were able to do the Northern European one on 8/9/18. We'd love to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise...but the start date needs to be between 6/25-8/10...July would be optimum...but so pricey...not sure I'm willing to pay July prices!

They were in May and June from 2015-2017. So far all the dates they've offered have been either too early or too late for our school schedule. We were very happy when they switched to doing the Northern ones later in the summer--it's the only way we were able to do the Northern European one on 8/9/18. We'd love to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise...but the start date needs to be between 6/25-8/10...July would be optimum...but so pricey...not sure I'm willing to pay July prices!

Yes mid to late June or July would be perfect! Fingers crossed!

Since Magic must do at least some Med cruises in the family holidays and then reposition to Northern Europe, it leaves little time to hit everything in July. One way they can accommodate Norway earlier in 2020 is to do a 7N Baltic (like in 2019) and one 8N Baltic (for an overnight in SPB) - or it could be two 8N Baltics - both from Copenhagen, and then reposition to Dover through Norway in a 7N cruise. This would still be in August but earlier.

Once the new ships arrive and if Disney is willing to spare two for Europe in the summer, I suspect one will exclusively do the Med itineraries and the other Northern Europe. That's when I'm also hoping they do a longer Norway cruise - one that goes all the way to North Cape and also hits the Lofoten Islands!

In 2016, the fjords cruise was earlier. We were in Stravanger on July 1st. They moved it later for the last two years, as well as the rest of the Northern Europe cruises, beginning the European season with Med cruises. The move has two advantages relating to weather. In the North, the temperatures are warmer. We were told that a few weeks before our stay there, there was still ice and snow on the ground, preventing some of the excursions to proceed. In the Med, the temperatures are a “bit” cooler in June and July than in August. Barcelona and Rome are unbearable in that month.

In 2016, the fjords cruise was earlier. We were in Stravanger on July 1st. They moved it later for the last two years, as well as the rest of the Northern Europe cruises, beginning the European season with Med cruises. The move has two advantages relating to weather. In the North, the temperatures are warmer. We were told that a few weeks before our stay there, there was still ice and snow on the ground, preventing some of the excursions to proceed. In the Med, the temperatures are a “bit” cooler in June and July than in August. Barcelona and Rome are unbearable in that month.

I’ll second that weather more than likely influenced the change. We were on the first Norway/Iceland in 2015 and weather was very nice most places but cool at least some and pretty cold one day. That cruise straddled the end of June into early July. Reports from the earlier Norway cruises that year stated it was pretty cool to cold almost the whole time. DCL probably locked in the port dates for the first 2 years and then when contracts came up to renew pushed the dates back some.

I think it had more to do with trying to alternate the schedules because if they always kept the same pattern then people on various school schedules would never have the chance to do the opposite itinerary.

I like that they mix it up.

I just did the Fjord cruise this past August... What do you want to know?

I did the 11 night fjords/Iceland in 2017 but we sailed the end of June/beginning of July. I am booked in 2019 for the fjords cruise which now sails the last week of August so I am curious as to how the weather was in August?

The weather in August was spectacular. We left Dover & only got as far north as Stavanger. After a storm in Dover, the rest of the trip was rain free. The temps were in the upper 60s/low 70s. On deck & at the ports I wore jeans & took along a light wind breaker jacket. When sitting in the sunshine in port, the jacket came off & I was actually warm. On deck the light jacket or sweatshirt was needed due to the wind. I was never cold at all. The temps were a great relief from the humidity of the east coast of the US. So, weather was never an issue. I am jealous that you are going back! What a great part of the world!

Yep. They have to do it either before or after the Med, and I do think in general the Med is pretty unpleasant in August.

I did the 11 night fjords/Iceland in 2017 but we sailed the end of June/beginning of July. I am booked in 2019 for the fjords cruise which now sails the last week of August so I am curious as to how the weather was in August?

We were on the 8/16/18 10 night one and we had warm days and cold days. Seriously, we packed layers and wore things from shorts and T-shirts to warm jackets, rain shells, and hats. Not much help, but this is what we experienced.

Yep. They have to do it either before or after the Med, and I do think in general the Med is pretty unpleasant in August.

We were on the 8/16/18 10 night one and we had warm days and cold days. Seriously, we packed layers and wore things from shorts and T-shirts to warm jackets, rain shells, and hats. Not much help, but this is what we experienced.

Thanks! Sounds just like the weather in June/July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter