Not Happy with Availability

I agree Disney just want the rooms occupied. They worked out that overall, a DVC room makes them more money than a hotel room, otherwise they wouldn’t convert hotel rooms. It also makes them virtually recession proof when the inevitable dip in the economy comes. As a result, I can’t see DVD trying to restrict rentals.

Those units are represented by points and Disney's right to put them in CRO is based on Disney's point holdings via ownership and trade.

It is rental. They just use CRO as their broker.

Yes, but in using CRO as its broker, CRO becomes entitled to grant benefits to guests that CRO has access to. You could pick up your renters in a car and deliver them to their resort and grant them early access to your theme park as a benefit it you wanted, too. :)

it would likely cut down on renting if Disney treated renters in a second class fashion. They won't, it isn't good business for them to do so - and to date it hasn't been their way to discriminate in that fashion
I can’t help but feel this is exactly what DVD has done with the increasing restrictions on Resale-acquired contracts; establishing a tiered class. Direct buyers get a host of superior services and products (parties, park exclusives, Epcot lounge), and resale buyers get a virtual white card... and DVD rentals.

All that’s to say that Disney knows well how creating a second class will surely introduce new ways to extract more from that very class.

We have been DVC members for about 15 years and have done a one to two week stay annually. This past year we retired and moved closer to Florida and hoped that we would be able to make shorter visits a few times a year as we are now in practical driving distance. We were just looking for availability for a 4 or 5 night stay in either a studio or one bedroom at any resort for dates in January or February, there is no availability. These months are some of the slower in the year? Looks like we still need to plan 7 to eleven months ahead and stay for longer, visiting only once a year as in the past.

Here are links to 2 threads which are pretty interesting:

Predicted DVC booking patterns - Studios/ some 1-bedrooms (Prepared 2015)
https://disboards.com/threads/predicted-dvc-booking-patterns-studios-some-1-bedrooms-prepared-2015.3419112

and
Any resource to see historical availability for days 7/11 months out
https://www.disboards.com/threads/any-resource-to-see-historical-availability-for-days-7-11-months-out.3281173/#post-51506136

Another possible issue is the rise in price, the change in number of points that new members are required to purchase, and the higher point cost per room in the MK resorts, has likely led to an increase in the number of people who are buying just enough points to get a studio. I bought resale 160 AK points; since I only go every other year, I can stay in a one bedroom, which has a greater availability. More people are buying 100 points and trying to stay in a studio every year.

Another possible issue is the rise in price, the change in number of points that new members are required to purchase, and the higher point cost per room in the MK resorts, has likely led to an increase in the number of people who are buying just enough points to get a studio. I bought resale 160 AK points; since I only go every other year, I can stay in a one bedroom, which has a greater availability. More people are buying 100 points and trying to stay in a studio every year.

I'm sure that there is a goodly number who bought just enough resale points to stay 5 week nights in a studio, low season either once/year or via banking & borrowing to some degree.

I originally bought in resale @ BWV small, only because the Mr was not the biggest fan (he has sprouted mouse ears since::yes::) and he insisted I only purchase via cash.

We then added on directly thru DVC @ WL, a nearly full contract. Added on twice @ AKV, which is now our largest holding. Still only do studios as we are rarely in the unit & to stretch the points for multiple trips per year for us & family.

Really appreciate the inherent flexibility & fact we are grandfathered in on all our contracts. I am not ashamed to admit it, I have absolutely no issue with current resale being restricted as to perks. When/if DVC stops offering perks, I will be the first to howl @ the moon, it's human nature.

Congratulations on your retirement. It does seem to be a challenge to get 4-5 nights last minute. I would suggest getting on a wait list with member services. Saratoga Springs might be the best option for last minute trips. Good luck and enjoy your retirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter