• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not knowing is so stressful: My mom might be sick...

UPDATE:
She went to the Dr again today.
She does have Lymphoma.
The Dr thinks that it is follicular lymphoma which is slow growing but she will be getting a PET scan done at the end of next week to see if it is anywhere else which will determine which type it is for sure.
Only after the results of that will we know what to do next.

Ok so slightly more of an update because my mom never seems to get the full picture across in one conversation.

What they found from the second biopsy is follicular lymphoma however they REALLY want to get a whole lymph node still but not that one unless absolutely necessary.
They are doing the PET scan in order to see if anywhere else "lights up" that is an easier place to surgically remove a lymph node.
If they find an easier location they will go in and take the whole thing out.
If they don't find an easier location they will do a bigger surgery and remove one from her abdomen.
The reason they want a whole lymph node is because while what they tested showed follicular it is possible that there is more than one type so they want to test all areas of the lymph node to see if she also has a more aggressive form.
If all they find is follicular even if its in later stages she has a long long time left with us as it is that slow growing.
So really we are probably looking at another solid month or even two of everything being up in the air.

It must be so frustrating waiting time after time...but I'm glad it sounds like they are covering all of her bases as far as her diagnosis goes. Prayers to you and her while you wait, and for it to be the less aggressive form:hug:

OP here with an update.
You may be wondering why I haven't updated this thread in a while but that's because there really hasn't been anything to report until now and even now its still not 100%.
The PET scan showed nothing just as we expected.
So the doctor still gave the options of wait and see or go in for a very messy surgery to take out a node from her stomach to be able to sample more areas.
The only other option was get a second opinion from what we now know is the top lymphoma doctor at Roswell (Also got confirmation today that the first doctor is really not a Roswell doctor but they just "sponsor" his practice and "share" patients with each other.)
So the top lymphoma doctor at Roswell went over the reports and said that all that is showing is the slow growing type so that is what they are basing treatment off of right now.
He said that for this type there have been studies with people that have treatment vs don't have treatment and neither group did better or wortse other than the unfortunate side effects of some of the treatments.
He said that people diagnosed with this type later in life die of old age not lymphoma because its that slow growing that even in later stages it takes years to grow to a more alarming amount.
He wants to do another CT in 4 months and that should confirm that its slow growing as long as there's not rapid growth in that time frame.
Sol its still a wait and see approach in order to get confirmation which we don't like because if they are wrong then we're in trouble but if they are right then basically my mom should be around a good long time and shouldn't need treatments that could cause some pretty nasty side effects.
So some relief has been brought to this holiday season but the uncertainty will still linger until that next CT.

Hovering in the land of uncertainty has to be so difficult. I hope you all can try to have a wonderful holiday season and realize that you should all make the most out of every bit of time and memories, because tomorrow isn't a guarantee for anyone. Try to slow down all the hustle and bustle and focus on enjoying each other and do your best not to let worry and anxiety have a place at the table (easier said than done I'm sure).

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Hovering in the land of uncertainty has to be so difficult. I hope you all can try to have a wonderful holiday season and realize that you should all make the most out of every bit of time and memories, because tomorrow isn't a guarantee for anyone. Try to slow down all the hustle and bustle and focus on enjoying each other and do your best not to let worry and anxiety have a place at the table (easier said than done I'm sure).

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Wise words, for all of us, Cabanafrau!

Queen, it must be so hard to wait for answers, prayers that it is slow growing and that the waiting isn't too stressful for you or your mom:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter