Not sure where to post - Retirement Communities near WDW

I wish your dad the best. Hope that he can enjoy some winter warmth down south for the coldest months. I, personally, could not take severe winter cold, snow, ice, being a southern person.

We have had some very personal dealings with Parkinsons, and it could impact his traveling alone, even being alone - just something for y'all to consider. :hug:
thanks - that's certainly the elephant in the room. not sure he is fully accepting that this could truly impact him - soon/later/who knows when.

Thank you for all of this helpful information. I definitely picked the right board to post this question on - everyone has added great comments. I have a brother as well with a new 5 month old baby and he lives all the way in California (15 minutes from Disney!). So my dad will also be splitting his spring/summer months visiting him as well. He thinks (at least for now) he will do a mix of staying at our houses and renting Air BnBs (or something similar). This is all talk, but he had a looooong conversation with his friend who is retired and has dealt with a lot of this already and he's going to be guiding him along the way as well. My dad likes the beach - I have a strong feeling central Florida will not be his choice. He is also a creature of habit and if I were a betting gal, SE florida will be his decision.

Most of the quieter beach towns have old Mom & Pop efficiency motel units that are available to rent by the month during the winter season. Those negotiate directly and will be MUCH cheaper than AirBNB places. They come furnished, and a lot of retirees will stay for flexible periods of 2-6 months to get their feet wet and make some friends without an initial investment.

With a Parkinson's diagnosis, optimal might be a place in a community that offers graduated levels of care. Those do tend to be very expensive to buy into, however, so he would probably not be able to afford to keep his northern residence if that were the plan.

Most of the quieter beach towns have old Mom & Pop efficiency motel units that are available to rent by the month during the winter season. Those negotiate directly and will be MUCH cheaper than AirBNB places. They come furnished, and a lot of retirees will stay for flexible periods of 2-6 months to get their feet wet and make some friends without an initial investment.

With a Parkinson's diagnosis, optimal might be a place in a community that offers graduated levels of care. Those do tend to be very expensive to buy into, however, so he would probably not be able to afford to keep his northern residence if that were the plan.
Thank you so much. Would you happen to know specifically some of these motels? Or what the quieter beach towns might be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter