Nov 13th-18th post trip-West Coast perspective

quhawk

Earning My Ears
Just completed our trip with wife, 8yr and 6yr old daughters. This was our first time under the new FP+ regime. Here are some tidbits, thoughts, and opinions. We did AK + MVMCP on the 14th; MK on the 15th; EP on the 16th; MK on 17th and MK on 18th.

CROWDS: Busy! crowd calendar showed 4, 5, 4, 3, 3. Other than a slow AK day, IMO they were 5, 8, 6, 7, 6. Disney has done a great job filling up the "quiet" times. I have never ever seen the MK as busy as it was in a non-summer, spring-break, holiday time.
SCHEDULE: my wife decided to keep girls on WEST COAST time, which was huge! We stayed later, obviously for the party and one night MK open until 2am, which allowed them to actually hit some rides. In retrospect, I'd probably have no parks planned and have a pool day, or downtown Disney and then do a party night.
FP+: don't like it. I frontloaded our FP's early, thinking we can acquire a 4th, maybe 5th. But since we didn't show up until 1030ish - 1100ish (130 one day), I had to push back the FP's. Even when I moved some around, on a "slower" Monday the 17th, very few options around 200pm to choose from. (Now, I did like that feature of changing times, but you have to be very, very careful or you'll lose a FP. For example, I didn't dare switch 7DMT or I would have lost it). So there is one positive I got from it. I can go on and on, but really what it does, it spreads out the crowds. We even waited for the People Mover for 10-15 min!!!! yeah,yeah....I can see being criticized already "How did you expect to get a legacy FP when you show up at 1030-1100." But it's really unfortunate for the walk-up guests...unless they want to wait 90-120 min, that's the only way to see Anna/Elsa or 7DMT. In the future, i'll keep my mind open and try to use it for 3 big time or 3 must ride attractions, and not bank on acquiring extra ones.
RESORT: Stayed in the Garden Wing-Contemporary. Big rooms, very nice. I tried for a Tower 7months out but sold out. Staying in the tower does save quite a bit of walking to food/monorail/shops. If you have the energy, walk to the MK vs the monorail. Especially in busy times. It took us on average about 20-25 min to get from Contemporary to MK. Several times we held on the tracks for monorail traffic, probably due to higher than normal crowds. walk is about 10-12min walk.
DINING PLAN: I can see this going away as a FREE perk, but if you ever have the opportunity, it's awesome. plenty, I mean, plenty of food. I recommend keeping tabs on your Table / quick service. Somewhere along the way we were charged a Quick serve when we thought it was a Table service. Not a huge issue, because some places (not all) will allow you to downgrade. And use your snacks, early because this was the 2nd time we had extra snacks. You can get a coffee, diet coke, but they have a bigger bang for your buck with Dole whip, cream cheese pretzel, etc.
AK: This is a weird schedule type park. too big for 1/2 day, but not big enough for a full day. I'm not a fan, but wife and girls like parts of it
EP: I'll probably scrap this for HS next time. We did spend some time in the countries. I haven't been in that part since the late '80's when I was a kid. I wouldn't mind hitting them all day, when the girls get older and they can do their own thing. Secretly, I'm hoping Spaceship Earth becomes the Death Star! Futureworld wold be a perfect Star Wars land!
MK: Still to me what WDW is all about.
7DMT: nice ride....definitely glad I didn't wait 90+ minutes for it however. Not that great.

We were the same time. The 10th-20th. We also kept our kids on west coast time. I don't think the crowds were nearly as bad as you are saying. The 15th was busy until the first MSEP but after it started nearly everything except 7DMT was walk on. After the fireworks it felt was even better! The parks were empty the 17th, 18th and 19th. The rain on the 17th made everything really easy to get on at Epcot. We didn't even need or use our FP. The 18th was a little busy from 1:30-4:30 and then died down. The cold really kept the crowd low. The 19th it was really quiet and again we didn't use most of our FP at MK.

We also had no problem acquiring Additional FP at Epcot or MK. We didn't try the other parks, but I'm sure we could have. I got some as late as8:30 in the 15th, 17th and 18th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter