• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Now that we are through Thanksgiving........

i'm concerned for our neck of the woods. we are seeing numbers higher than ever. we were doing pretty well but began an uptick when some area colleges saw a big return of students who despite not having in person classes decided that since they were obligated to pay for apartment leases they signed pre pandemic that they were going to live in those apartments (though a good number are NOT paying b/c they are taking advantage of non eviction protection laws in place) and continue to socialize as they had pre pandemic add in folks of all ages who just don't or won't believe this illness is serious business so they don't do simple preventative measures and it's a recipe for disaster. those communities saw huge upticks which spread to adjacent communities...so our numbers (and deaths which are now growing in the younger age categories) go up, up and up.

we are being told the current big uptick is due to halloween gatherings. based on the local news footage last night of all the travelers at the local airport along with the masses in line for black friday sales (we are restricted to 25% capacity INSIDE retail-that doesn't mean shoppers are following social distancing when they are in line outside) and come a couple of weeks from now i suspect numbers will be far worse.

i was supposed to have a doctors appointment last spring-they rescheduled it to next week b/c back then it was thought we would be in an in between point covid and flu wise for the county so it would be safer for those of us high risk to delay. i'm calling monday to cancel. it's not essential so for me it's not worth the risk of exposure. if the doctor wants to do it by phone-fine but i'm not stepping foot into a medical facility if i can help it.
My daughter signed a lease in October, you better believe she’s not paying $10,000 a year to live in her attic bedroom at home. She already paid a deposit for next June. They are paying rent like everyone else in town.

Last edited:
We're about to see a big surge on top of a big surge thanks to households mixing together for Thanksgiving. We're seeing hospitals begin to buckle in certain parts of the country. That will get worse in the coming month.

We didn't get together with parent or sibling households for Thanksgiving, and we won't for Christmas either.

I haven't gone back to instacart grocery delivery yet, but am avoiding stores when I see too many people.

My daughter signed a lease in October, you better believe she’s not paying $10,000 a year to live in her attic basement at home. She already paid a deposit for next June. They are paying rent like everyone else in town.
I agree. People shouldn't be mad at students actually residing in the apartments they were forced to lease and pay for. If they want to be angry, take it up with the colleges.

I'm confused you make it sound like if you work in a Movie theater or barber shop that makes it essential. it doesn't. I'm a firm believer in the Cares act and other bills that need to be passed to pay people to stay home.

Lots of people say these places should close they are not essential. The people saying this are people that have jobs that are essential. I’m never going to say these places should close. Most places can open safely. My wife job and my job are both essential. My wife works in a supermarket and I work in a factory. But I will never say that they should close places because of covid. But everyone has opinions. I like to help people out. A lot of people don’t like to help people out. You help people out but you do it in a safe way.

My daughter signed a lease in October, you better believe she’s not paying $10,000 a year to live in her attic basement at home. She already paid a deposit for next June. They are paying rent like everyone else in town.
I agree. People shouldn't be mad at students actually residing in the apartments they were forced to lease and pay for. If they want to be angry, take it up with the colleges.

i'm not angry-just commenting on what is happening here, and the landlords are reporting that the college renters are utilizing the non eviction based on non payment laws in place here at the same rate as the non college renters. can't blame the colleges in our area-they let the kids out of dorm leases with no financial penalties long before fall commenced (once they decided all of 20/21 academic would be distance or hybrid), the ones that are offering hybrid also offered to let students out of leases-and waived the on campus living requirement that's the norm for freshman. they encouraged students to do distance learning at a distance, not to return to the little college towns and increase the student populations risk of encountering situation that could put the students at risk as well as the community.

i'm not angry-just commenting on what is happening here, and the landlords are reporting that the college renters are utilizing the non eviction based on non payment laws in place here at the same rate as the non college renters. can't blame the colleges in our area-they let the kids out of dorm leases with no financial penalties long before fall commenced (once they decided all of 20/21 academic would be distance or hybrid), the ones that are offering hybrid also offered to let students out of leases-and waived the on campus living requirement that's the norm for freshman. they encouraged students to do distance learning at a distance, not to return to the little college towns and increase the student populations risk of encountering situation that could put the students at risk as well as the community.
My daughter goes to the university of Delaware, a true college town, out of about 20,000 students they only allowed 1200 on campus. There is no way the numerous businesses on Main Street could’ve survived without students in off campus housing.

It was just DH and myself at home for a quiet Thanksgiving and it will be the same way for Christmas. No big family gatherings this year. I would never forgive myself if I planned one and someone got sick...or worse. Our son isn’t too happy about it but that’s too bad, he can get over it.

We will still give gifts, and take them to the kids/grands on Christmas Day but stand outside on the porch to say “hello, we love you” and leave the bag on the porch as we leave.

My cousin just sent an email last night asking for a head count on Christmas Day. She's planning to have an "open house" all day. Her husband, sons and daughters-in-law all had the virus, so I guess they feel like they are immune? I don't know. We are staying home. They had a Halloween party with 100 people, so I am not surprised by this.

I'm sad not to go. We usually spend the night at their house and it's a great party. Couldn't go last year because my husband had just had knee surgery.

Fingers crossed that 2021 is back to normal for the holidays.

Last edited:
My cousin just sent an email last night asking for a head count on Christmas Day. She's planning to have an "open house" all day. Her husband, sons and daughters-in-law all had the virus, so I guess they feel like they are immune? I don't know. We are staying home. They had a Halloween party with 100 people, so I am not surprised by this.

I'm sad not to go. We usually spend the night at their house and it's a great party. Couldn't go last year because my husband had just had knee surgery.

Finger crossed that 2021 is back to normal for the holidays.
You and I don't agree a lot on this stuff. But that's nuts.

I believe that in 3 weeks from today which puts us at around Dec 19/20th, we will see the Thanksgiving surge via positive tests/positivity rates. While there is a 14 days window for symptoms, in my little population of people I know that had it; they generally get symptoms about 2-5 days after exposure. The will start to get symptoms this coming week. Many will go out and test and testing delays in my area are now ranging from 6-10 days if you are doing the free, county run tests. Less so if you go through an urgent care, use insurance, and go through somewhere like Quest or Labcorp. We won't see the uptick in hospitalizations until right around Christmas and New Years.

We haven’t made a decision yet for Christmas.

We usually host Thanksgiving, but didn’t this year. Our family of 5 stayed home & together for Thanksgiving.

One of the reasons we stayed by ourselves for Thanksgiving is that we didn’t feel we had time to quarantine properly before the holiday. DH has been working through the pandemic & worked several days before Thanksgiving w/ a lot of people contact. Additionally, our 2 older kids have had in-person classes at their college, & their last day was the Friday before Thanksgiving.

For Christmas, our 2 older kids will not have had the college contact, & DH’s work won’t be as busy w/ as many people there.

So, we’ll see...

When I explained about Thanksgiving to my mom, I said, “Hopefully, Christmas will be different.”

Did someone say Christmas???

I was so happy when I saw that christmas trees are finally available so I could finalize the decorations 🎉

This Christmas will be different with the new regulations here in Germany, but well, we have to face the facts.

I wish you all a very merry Christmas time

DC72A6D8-D9D4-4B90-B024-90619AF4E345.jpeg

Fingers crossed that 2021 is back to normal for the holidays.

not surprising. Lots of people that got covid doesn’t care. Not all but a lot of them.

We skipped Thanksgiving but are starting to consider plans for Christmas. If we go, we will quarantine for 2 weeks prior (I'm already WFH and it's an option for my wife) and only go see my parents/brother.

I'm not that concerned about being exposed personally but I couldn't live myself knowing I passed it along to someone else. I wish others felt this level of personal responsibility. 😟

I'm glad you said that because it makes me feel nuts to decline this. They make me feel like I am overreacting. She already shamed me for not going to restaurants.
I don’t understand the whole shaming thing about this or anything else really. It just creates friction and resentment. I’m very much a “You do you and I’ll do me” kind of person. If we happen to disagree like I said in another thread, hopefully I’ll see ya on the other side of all of this.

I called my stepmother (69 w/congestive heart failure) the day before Thanksgiving and said, “I really want to see you but I don’t want to accidentally kill you.” Her reply? “I don’t WANT you to come. I know you’re super careful but who knows what you could pick up on your way over here.” So we’re on the same page. My sis not so much. She’s in the “flu” crowd which makes me nervous since she lives in a tiny town that’s on fire with COVID right now. But I say nothing more than “be careful” because I know saying anything else would be futile. And she knows she won’t change my mind on the subject either. I miss both of them dearly but I’m not going to put them in harm’s way or let them put me there and they understand my feelings on it. Folks need to respect and honor one another’s feelings on the subject and do their own lives. Making it a flash point with one another won’t change a damn thing. If it did we wouldn’t be in this predicament.

I don’t understand the whole shaming thing about this or anything else really. It just creates friction and resentment. I’m very much a “You do you and I’ll do me” kind of person. If we happen to disagree like I said in another thread, hopefully I’ll see ya on the other side of all of this.

I called my stepmother (69 w/congestive heart failure) the day before Thanksgiving and said, “I really want to see you but I don’t want to accidentally kill you.” Her reply? “I don’t WANT you to come. I know you’re super careful but who knows what you could pick up on your way over here.” So we’re on the same page. My sis not so much. She’s in the “flu” crowd which makes me nervous since she lives in a tiny town that’s on fire with COVID right now. But I say nothing more than “be careful” because I know saying anything else would be futile. And she knows she won’t change my mind on the subject either. I miss both of them dearly but I’m not going to put them in harm’s way or let them put me there and they understand my feelings on it. Folks need to respect and honor one another’s feelings on the subject and do their own lives. Making it a flash point with one another won’t change a damn thing. If it did we wouldn’t be in this predicament.

It's all so weird. They were taking it very seriously during the summer and I guess they gave up on that because they got it anyway? I bristled at the restaurant shaming, because we get takeout 2-3 times a week and tip like we dined in. She didn't know that of course, but it's just another reason why she should have kept quiet about my choices.

I'm confused you make it sound like if you work in a Movie theater or barber shop that makes it essential. it doesn't. I'm a firm believer in the Cares act and other bills that need to be passed to pay people to stay home.
My husband's uncle is in Broadway. At this point Broadway isn't projected to come back until June 2021 and it was closed in March 2020.

Is the CARES Act going to pay them for that time period in which they are off of work? Is Broadway essential I mean no but the income derived from working is to many people.

Why do people continue to think in short term effects? Some stuff related to the pandemic are shorter-term but so much more is longer term.

Two of my friends lost their fathers to Covid on Thanksgiving. Cases here in SW PA are exploding. Over the last few months, my county has gone from under 200/day to over 800. The long term effects we are worried about are death or long-term health effects of getting the virus. I'm thinking very seriously of not having my 2 youngest kids fly across the country for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter