Now they really think i'm crazy!

LaurenT

DIS Veteran
WDW is my happy place. I could seriously live there without even going on the rides and be happy! So I go with my DH and DD on a family trip (along with another family who are close friends) every August and President's week or Easter my friend and I take our daughters. I love these trips - but I'm the planner, the driver (when staying offsite), the morning drill sargent.... Well ... My husband bought me a solo trip as a 50th birthday present (which was yesterday), I had a funeral to go to yesterday - a distant relative, but I needed to go so I could drive my mom down.... Word got out to the family and some of them don't get it. "Why would you go without Becky?" "Really? Alone? Don't you have a friend that you can go with?" "Ok, but why Disney? You already go there all the time ... You should go to the beach." Is there a one sentence response that will shut these people up without being insulting to them?

He who pays the piper calls the music.
:charac2:
:rockband:
:music:
If your family/friends want you to go on vacation and pay for it, go and have a great time on them. If you pay you go where, when, and how you want too.

Just say, "WDW is my happy place" then :). If they still don't understand, you will probably need to walk away::yes::

I don't know why people can't understand. I just went solo at the tail end of a business trip, and the reactions I got were priceless!

I explained it as my happy place and left it at that. No need for justification, and deep down, I think one main reason people think it is crazy is that most are too afraid to do anything, let alone travel, alone.

I can also understand being the planner, the doer, etc. I just planned a weekend trip this summer for my whole family, who when I said that I wanted someone else to do it, told me that it is my place in the family, lol. For once, I would love to go on a trip and not have to do any of the planning. I guess I can keep on dreaming about that.

Meanwhile: Hold your head high and be proud to hang out with yourself in your happy place! :rotfl2:

We need a great one liner for the non Disney freaks. Maybe just throw some pixie dust in their face? That would probably be rude though.

Thanks all. I guess I'm just venting in a place where I know everyone gets it.
I'm very close to my husband and daughter, but there's a part of me that's a loner too. I'm really looking forward to being on my own for a few days!
The pixie dust idea is a great one!

"You're right! Now that I think about it, I *should* go to your favorite place instead of my own. Thanks for saving me from all that happiness!"

WDW is my happy place. I could seriously live there without even going on the rides and be happy! So I go with my DH and DD on a family trip (along with another family who are close friends) every August and President's week or Easter my friend and I take our daughters. I love these trips - but I'm the planner, the driver (when staying offsite), the morning drill sargent.... Well ... My husband bought me a solo trip as a 50th birthday present (which was yesterday), I had a funeral to go to yesterday - a distant relative, but I needed to go so I could drive my mom down.... Word got out to the family and some of them don't get it. "Why would you go without Becky?" "Really? Alone? Don't you have a friend that you can go with?" "Ok, but why Disney? You already go there all the time ... You should go to the beach." Is there a one sentence response that will shut these people up without being insulting to them?

That is such a sweet hubby! I'm trying to think of all the reasons I would give (and people tease me because Disney is still my fave vacation even after my son has grown up). I usually tell them besides the fact that Disney is magical, I grew up on Disney movies/tv shows, and fell in love with WDW at an early age. What other vacation could I take where I could see all my favorite Disney characters, visit 4 different theme parks where I experience attractions which are right out of the Disney movies, feel like I'm interacting on a Disney movie set, see a variety of animals, travel around the world, visit 2 waterparks, a downtown dining/entertainment/shopping district . . . , stay in a beautifully themed resort with its own beach/pools and includes free transportation/activities, enjoy great food and feel safe doing so? Talk about getting one's bang for a buck. pixiedust:

I like to tell people, "There's worse things in the world to be addicted to than Disney."

I mean, I could be an alcoholic, drug addict, gambler, etc... I like going to Disney. Is it THAT bad?

Truth is, so many people are just go unhappy in their lives that they feel the need to pass judgement on others who don't see life the way they do. My 3rd solo trip is scheduled for October. Nobody understands why I like to go. Oh well.

Lots of people have a favorite vacation spot where they go often. For some it's a place in nature, for some it's a theme park or bunch of theme parks, for some it's historical places in Europe, or whatever. The people who don't relate to your favorite place probably have their own vacation spot they keep going to, so you can tell them for you it's like [name of their favorite place].

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter