• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Number of People Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just agree to disagree on 95% of this issue.

I do agree that the flexibility of the program makes it special. Everything else I think are just arguments people use to justify walking.

Some trying to justify walking are like talking to people that have been brainwashed by a cult....only difference is they brainwashed themselves.

Some trying to justify walking are like talking to people that have been brainwashed by a cult....only difference is they brainwashed themselves.
Again, I don't think walking is right, or that it equals the playing field. In fact I think it does just the opposite - it gives the big renters with tons of points to play with the advantage: all they need to do is grab the coveted room once, keep walking it and then breaking off days they want to resell as they go along, all the while securing their hold. (This takes a call to MS to break and create a new reservation number.)

BUT... in that it is a thing we have to contend with, my question to you naysayers... if you really, really wanted or needed a certain type of room that you knew was hard to get due to the walking, would you or would you not take it on early if you saw the opening and walk it to your dates?

I would.

Last edited:
Again, I don't think walking is right, or that it equals the playing field. In fact I think it does just the opposite - it gives the big renters with tons of points to play with the advantage: all they need to do is grab the coveted room once, keep walking it and then breaking off days they want to resell as they go along, all the while securing their hold. (This takes a call to MS to break and create a new reservation number.)

BUT... in that it is a thing we have to contend with, my question to you naysayers... if you really, really wanted or needed a certain type of room that you knew was hard to get due to the walking, would you or would you not take it on early if you saw the opening and walk it to your dates?

I would.

Me too.

When you buy a timeshare it is your responsibility to know all the in's and outs of its usage in order to maximize your investments. Someone who buys a lot of points versus someone who buys the minimum will always have an advantage in securing what they want. If you want to get a grand villa every year at a popular time then you have to walk it or you will be locked out. Having more points means you can start your walk earlier without worrying about banking or borrowing more points thru holidays that really aren't going to be used in final vacation. It used to be a lot of work to walk but with the new tool , anyone can do it pretty easily without bothering member services. Other than large point holders having an advantage the system is fair to all and allows anyone with the time to have an equal opportunity to walk. Large point holders spend a lot more money and that gives them an advantage over others. I don't think anyone should have to justify walking to anyone else. If you don't know how to do it then Boohoo. Points rented out to others is also the ability of an owner to rent when they can't go . Resale is the ability to unload when you get in financial stress or simply get tied of Disney vacations. DVC is a great timeshare, if you learn how to use it and learn its limitations. I don't always get what I want outside my home resort and knew that going in but I always intend to make the effort to get exactly what I want at my home resort or die trying at 11 months out.

Cult members also find comfort in more members joining the cult. Human nature.

At this point that's getting insulting.

Many have outlined why they don't want to see "fixes" and it has nothing to do with agreeing with walking. It does with the potential fixes.

But if you want to refer to walking - it's actually a very equal loophole that doesn't substantially benefit large point holder over small point holders.

Who are you replying to?
And how in the name of stitch are you equating DVC with a cult? LMAO

Not equating DVC as a cult. Just the mentality of some about how there is nothing negative about it and actually it’s helpful to other members etc. You are at least honest about it. You don’t like it and don’t think it equals the playing field but choose to do it if you can. I am more talking to those that glorify walking or promote it.

At this point that's getting insulting.

Many have outlined why they don't want to see "fixes" and it has nothing to do with agreeing with walking. It does with the potential fixes.

But if you want to refer to walking - it's actually a very equal loophole that doesn't substantially benefit large point holder over small point holders.

Who am I directly insulting? I have not singled anyone out. I was just using the cult example in the mentality of some argument. Not all. There are plenty of cult members who are very good people who may know something is not quite right but are convinced to say nothing is wrong here. Everything is not just nuts and bolts in the world. The human nature factor matters. Psychology matters. Just pointing that out.

Not equating DVC as a cult. Just the mentality of some about how there is nothing negative about it and actually it’s helpful to other members etc. You are at least honest about it. You don’t like it and don’t think it equals the playing field but choose to do it if you can. I am more talking to those that glorify walking or promote it.
You don't like walking which is your right but you do not have a right to insult others who like it by sayings its a cult. Name calling always ends a conversation.

Who am I directly insulting? I have not singled anyone out. I was just using the cult example in the mentality of some argument. Not all. There are plenty of cult members who are very good people who may know something is not quite right but are convinced to say nothing is wrong here. Everything is not just nuts and bolts in the world. The human nature factor matters. Psychology matters. Just pointing that out.

You may justify cult as not negative but to most it is. Or rather to many it usually is.

Here's a couple of facts:
DVC does not have any restrictions against booking and cancelling. Disagree?
Penalties for booking and cancelling aren't enacted until 30 days out from the start of the reservation.
Any owner can book a reservation and cancel it whenever they wish up until day of check in with relatively no penalties.

You emphasize a lot on the intent - and that isn't anything I've ever disagreed with. But it's within the rules. I will not agree that any owner is "bad" for doing something within the rules.

it gives the big renters with tons of points to play with the advantage: all they need to do is grab the coveted room once, keep walking it and then breaking off days they want to resell as they go along, all the while securing their hold.

Possibly the biggest renter is Disney. I understand (but may be wrong -- jump in if you have better data) that they control 2% of total DVC points. A massive ownership.

Outside of Disney itself, those in the know about walking are an extremely small proportion of DVC owners; those who know, but actually walk reservations, own an even smaller proportion of DVC points. If walking is becoming a noticeable drag on the proper workings of the booking system, should we be concerned that Disney itself is behind the walking phenomena that posters are identifying?

Here's a couple of facts:
DVC does not have any restrictions against booking and cancelling. Disagree?
Penalties for booking and cancelling aren't enacted until 30 days out from the start of the reservation.
Any owner can book a reservation and cancel it whenever they wish up until day of check in with relatively no penalties.

You emphasize a lot on the intent - and that isn't anything I've ever disagreed with. But it's within the rules. I will not agree that any owner is "bad" for doing something within the rules.

First off I never said a owner was bad for walking. I have plenty of friends that do things I don’t agree with. We discuss this and still remain friends.
All of OUR contracts state you are allowed to book home resort no earlier than 11 months. To me any intent to circumvent this rule is not following with the spirit of the rule. I am not allowed to point that out. Why? It is so obvious. Sorry if I have a problem with people glorifying something like walking that hurts other members. I express how I feel about walking but don’t tell people not to do it. That’s up to them. Again it seems the walking crowd just doesn’t want to hear from those against walking. Doesn’t seem like a true objective conversation to me. One side of the coin is never good IMO.

From another thread:

"DVC has taken every AKV Value studio room for 3 weeks straight now, from Dec 3rd to Dec 23rd, today’s plus 7 date. They don’t show up in inventory at all; they’re not being walked.

Disney likes to open new things on Wed or Sat, prob would prefer Wed this time because the crowds will be insane already without adding a weekend.

They probably need to sandwich the opening between Christmas and Thanksgiving with as much lead time as possible before Christmas to work out the kinks, so that’d be the first realistic date after Thanksgiving.

Plus. This would let them hard ticket the Thanksgiving crowd with previews, and get it open in time to work out the kinks by Christmas.

The reason why I posted here is the taking out of inventory of all the values studios effective Dec 3, and a week of all the Concierge studios at that same time as well had me thinking about how this might tie into the opening. Who knows what other inventory is being pulled in categories that don’t show up so easily prior to the 11 month window? DVC/Disney has had time to plan this and could be banking and borrowing their own points to bring them to bear right here. Booking a room for 9 points in values and selling it CRO after they formally announce the date would be a real coup.

DVC taking rooms from inventory the night before the first Wed possible open date after Thanksgiving can’t be a coincidence, can it?

It’s DVC related because it’s my speculation based on DVC related activity."

???

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

From another thread:

"DVC has taken every AKV Value studio room for 3 weeks straight now, from Dec 3rd to Dec 23rd, today’s plus 7 date. They don’t show up in inventory at all; they’re not being walked.

Disney likes to open new things on Wed or Sat, prob would prefer Wed this time because the crowds will be insane already without adding a weekend.

They probably need to sandwich the opening between Christmas and Thanksgiving with as much lead time as possible before Christmas to work out the kinks, so that’d be the first realistic date after Thanksgiving.

Plus. This would let them hard ticket the Thanksgiving crowd with previews, and get it open in time to work out the kinks by Christmas.

The reason why I posted here is the taking out of inventory of all the values studios effective Dec 3, and a week of all the Concierge studios at that same time as well had me thinking about how this might tie into the opening. Who knows what other inventory is being pulled in categories that don’t show up so easily prior to the 11 month window? DVC/Disney has had time to plan this and could be banking and borrowing their own points to bring them to bear right here. Booking a room for 9 points in values and selling it CRO after they formally announce the date would be a real coup.

DVC taking rooms from inventory the night before the first Wed possible open date after Thanksgiving can’t be a coincidence, can it?

It’s DVC related because it’s my speculation based on DVC related activity."

???

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
I think Disney is claiming a hard goods refurbishment in those rooms from December to February. Later in that thread someone claimed that to be their response (true or not).

https://www.disboards.com/threads/sw-ge-opening-guess-dec-4-dvc-related.3729912/page-5#post-60262965

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter