Observations From Recent Trip 4/29 - 5/5

Buffalo2Disney

Should we be HYSTERICAL?
We just got back from another great WDW trip this past Thursday. It was just as fun and amazing as other trips we have taken over the last 6 years. Here's some observations from the trip that I wanted to share with everyone.

- Crowds: We went the same week last year and felt like the crowds were just about the same. The weekend we arrived was the Summit Cheer/Dance competition and there were dancers everywhere. They were definitely worse and more noticeable this year than last year. We said we would move a trip a week later to avoid them. Once Monday hit most of them left and the parks were way less crowded.

- FP+: Compared to last trip when you could only get a 4th+ FP at a kiosk, we found that FP availability was much less now that everyone can get a 4th+ FP on their phone. Most of the time by mid-day the app kept showing no availability left for most of the rides you would want to FP. HOWEVER, if you keep refreshing the time your looking for on the app many times a time would appear that was close to what you were looking for. Mostly due to people cancelling at the last moment. These FP's go fast so grab it while you can.

- Weather: The weather our first couple of days was perfect! 90+ degrees and sunny. Unfortunately as our trip was winding down the weather turned. Monday night we were supposed to see Fantasmic at 9PM, however at 8PM a very violent storm came through and the show was cancelled. We had booked the Fantasmic dinner package and were SOL. They do not refund you for a weather cancellation. We spent much more $$$ on dinner than we would have otherwise.

Our last full day on Wednesday was an all day rain. This was GREAT. Crowds were non-existent. They were so low that 7DMT was a 15 minute wait! We stayed most of the day in MK until about 12:30am and got numerous rides done multiple times with no waits. Just be aware of the following day. The next day Thursday (Our last day) was supposed to be the least crowded day at MK. Everyone who had skipped it the rainy day showed up on Thursday instead. It was sooooo packed we left and went to AK instead.

- People: It's sad to see that many people really don't experience WDW anymore. They care more about their phones / social media than actually experiencing WDW. So many people have their heads in their phones the whole time, checking facebook, taking selfies, and posting to social media. We kept asking ourselves "Do these people actually know they are in WDW?" Other than checking FP times we kept our phones away and shut off. Enjoy being there and put the phones away!! We saw a women still texting on your phone during the lap bar check on Space Mountain and still had her phone out while the ride started. WHY!?

- Hollywood Studios: It's definitely a half-day park at best. We were done with everything we wanted to do by 11AM. We decided to stay for the entire day because of our Fantastmic dinner and then to watch Fantasmic at night (which ended up being cancelled). It was our only day planned there the entire trip but a lot of the day was just spent sitting and people watching. It'll be a great park once the new lands open by for the next couple of years it will be brutal. There's no other way to say it.

- Rope Drop: We are park people. We are there from rope drop to park close. Rope drop is still very effective. We could get soooo much stuff done in the early morning. Most people don't start arriving until 11AM. Our plan each day was to rope drop and ride as much as possible with little waits. Grab something for lunch around 11-11:30AM when the crowds arrive and then have our FP scheduled starting at Noon. Worked out great and got a ton done.

We had another amazing trip and can't wait to go back! We are planning on taking another trip ASAP. While we like the Spring time because of crowds / weather, we are thinking of trying the Fall again because we love Food & Wine much more than Flower & Garden.

If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer pirate:

:wave2: We were there Tues May 3 - Sat May 7! I couldn't agree with you more on the phones!!! At restaurants there were so many people on them it was crazy. Same with walking through the parks, etc. Ugh. While I love the DME app for finding ride times and reminding me of our FP+ times, I hate that it seems like technology has taken over. I used to feel completely unplugged at Disney because not only was I not on my phone, but I didn't see others on theirs!

The Wednesday weather was horrible but we spent the day at Epcot- it was a great day for it. However dinner at the resort that night was mobbed because so many people had headed back to their hotels rather than staying at the parks I think. Thursday and Friday were absolutely gorgeous- low 80's, lots of sun. So beautiful!!

We have been used to free dining September crowds and didn't find them all that different- a little heavier but not too bad. With FP+ we were able to miss most of it. We were also travelling with a 2 YO so we were mainly early mornings which is the way to go!

So glad you had fun!! :thumbsup2

- FP+: Compared to last trip when you could only get a 4th+ FP at a kiosk, we found that FP availability was much less now that everyone can get a 4th+ FP on their phone. Most of the time by mid-day the app kept showing no availability left for most of the rides you would want to FP. HOWEVER, if you keep refreshing the time your looking for on the app many times a time would appear that was close to what you were looking for. Mostly due to people cancelling at the last moment. These FP's go fast so grab it while you can.

- People: It's sad to see that many people really don't experience WDW anymore. They care more about their phones / social media than actually experiencing WDW. So many people have their heads in their phones the whole time, checking facebook, taking selfies, and posting to social media. We kept asking ourselves "Do these people actually know they are in WDW?" Other than checking FP times we kept our phones away and shut off. Enjoy being there and put the phones away!! We saw a women still texting on your phone during the lap bar check on Space Mountain and still had her phone out while the ride started. WHY!?

I'm curious how you know these people were on social media and not on the app continually checking for fastpass availability?

I'm curious how you know these people were on social media and not on the app continually checking for fastpass availability?

People we were walking next to, standing in line next to, and sitting next to at dinners / lunches and even on rides with that you could see their screens, most were either texting or on social media. It's easy to tell when someone is texting as opposed to using the MDE app. Fingers typing away on the screen non-stop with their heads buried and not looking where they are.

Oh A LOT of people also walk around the parks using Facetime too to talk to people. Maybe they are showing them a live version on the park so they can see what they are doing, but what we saw was people just pointing at themselves talking to a person while walking into everything/everyone.

Howdy -- Buffalo native here. :) Sadly transplanted away a few years ago but still go back when I can. I'm glad you had a good trip.

I'm sure it's a small fraction of people you saw, but one possibility for the lady on the ride with her phone could have been that she was using Periscope to live stream the ride. I confess I *love* watching those, so I can't complain when people do it.

- Rope Drop: We are park people. We are there from rope drop to park close. Rope drop is still very effective. We could get soooo much stuff done in the early morning. Most people don't start arriving until 11AM. Our plan each day was to rope drop and ride as much as possible with little waits. Grab something for lunch around 11-11:30AM when the crowds arrive and then have our FP scheduled starting at Noon. Worked out great and got a ton done.

I love that you said this. We feel the same way. I happened to mention elsewhere (not on the DIS) that we do this and I got a thousand people telling me that's too long a day, we must get tired, we should go for less time, and so on. If that's what works for some families (and with little ones sometimes you have to adjust, but we're just two adults going) that's fine, but we're there ALL DAY FOR FUN. lol.

Thanks for the observations. I always like to ready people's most recent experiences. Interesting observation about the FP+ availability on the app after the first 3. This is functionality that I'm super excited is finally available, but I can see how the ease of booking them depletes the availability that much faster. I still think I'd rather have a shot at it on my phone than to wait for several minutes in a kiosk line. I'm very anxious to see how this works for us on our next trip.

As for the observation of people being obsessed with social media while touring. I find this annoying everywhere and I just don't get it. I like social media too, but not so much that I need to be on it while I'm walking down the street or enjoying a place like WDW. I guess to each their own though. Unless they are walking into me because in their minds they are great multitaskers but in reality they are far from it, then it doesn't affect me personally.

Howdy -- Buffalo native here. :) Sadly transplanted away a few years ago but still go back when I can. I'm glad you had a good trip.

I'm sure it's a small fraction of people you saw, but one possibility for the lady on the ride with her phone could have been that she was using Periscope to live stream the ride. I confess I *love* watching those, so I can't complain when people do it.

I love that you said this. We feel the same way. I happened to mention elsewhere (not on the DIS) that we do this and I got a thousand people telling me that's too long a day, we must get tired, we should go for less time, and so on. If that's what works for some families (and with little ones sometimes you have to adjust, but we're just two adults going) that's fine, but we're there ALL DAY FOR FUN. lol.

We are just two adults too. If we had kids it would definitely be different as to how many hours we are in the parks. We were up every morning at 6:30am and rarely were back in our room that night before Midnight. Every night we basically got around 5 hours of sleep. That's fine with us, the excitement trumps the tiredness. When we got home we slept almost the entire weekend to catch up.

We also just got back from a stay from 4/19-5/7. I agree that too many people seemed to spend too much time with their heads in their phones. Maybe it could have been some people tinkering with FP+ (I know I did a few times), but as the PP said, you can tell when someone is playing around on the app or are doing a lot of social media things. It also seemed that a lot of people are watching their vacations through their phones and not with their own eyes. I mean I get wanting to take videos and pictures, but I think taping rides or parades or fireworks takes away from being in the now and enjoying the experience for yourself... but maybe that is just me (and I am sure a few of you).

We were also SOL with the F! package on 5/2. We went in for our HBD dinner package at 6:10 and the weather was fine. As we were walking out the door is when the downpours started. We were bummed that me missed F! that night, but we held out and stayed for Symphony in the Stars. The park was practically empty by the time they went off. The lack of a crowd and the rain that started up again as the fireworks started made the experience all that much better and made up for no F!, IMO.

We were also SOL with the F! package on 5/2. We went in for our HBD dinner package at 6:10 and the weather was fine. As we were walking out the door is when the downpours started. We were bummed that me missed F! that night, but we held out and stayed for Symphony in the Stars. The park was practically empty by the time they went off. The lack of a crowd and the rain that started up again as the fireworks started made the experience all that much better and made up for no F!, IMO.

We managed to see the fireworks from the bus stop as we were waiting for a bus back to Pop. We got stuck in the second downpour while waiting for the bus but it was cool to see the fireworks from there regardless. We also managed to catch the Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away stage show and we both really enjoyed it. I am a star wars fan, my wife is not. But she thought the show was great as well knowing next to nothing about star wars. She said it was really cool to see all those characters close up.

I enjoyed reading your observations. Thanks! I SO much agree with your phone/social media comment. It drives me crazy in general, but I would definitely think that overdoing it takes away from the WDW experience. I am hoping to do several rope drops when we visit in August. We've never done it before and I hope I can get my family on board, but it seems so worth it from everything I've read. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! :goodvibes

Yes on the facetime too! I saw at least 3 people on facetime the short time we were there- twice was walking through the resort, not at the park. One girl almost walked smack into us!! I don't get it. World has changed and I guess I just need to get used to it because my complaining isn't going to help anything :rotfl:

Yes on the facetime too! I saw at least 3 people on facetime the short time we were there- twice was walking through the resort, not at the park. One girl almost walked smack into us!! I don't get it. World has changed and I guess I just need to get used to it because my complaining isn't going to help anything :rotfl:

Don't we watch people on periscope and similar like when the dis team turns on something? What we love about the dis doesn't happen by them putting the phone down. There's a lot of money being made on social networks and we're kind of the ones doing it the hard way..

IIRC there was actually a large group of bloggers that day, my daughter was upset she skipped going to mk and then later that night found out all these people she knew were there all day.. I think you were seeing the millennials making their living. Not to say some people are just obsessed and a lot do hold their phone a lot and it's more about sharing with someone not with them than really smelling the roses..

Don't we watch people on periscope and similar like when the dis team turns on something? What we love about the dis doesn't happen by them putting the phone down. There's a lot of money being made on social networks and we're kind of the ones doing it the hard way..

IIRC there was actually a large group of bloggers that day, my daughter was upset she skipped going to mk and then later that night found out all these people she knew were there all day.. I think you were seeing the millennials making their living. Not to say some people are just obsessed and a lot do hold their phone a lot and it's more about sharing with someone not with them than really smelling the roses..

I guess I don't get this. Periscope? No. Don't know what that is. Millennials making their living? I am a millennial. The people I saw weren't millennials. Two were in their early 40s and the other yeah, was a millennial- mid 20's probably. They were talking on facetime and almost running into people. The people I saw were generally talking about something other than Disney to someone who wasn't there- having a phone conversation on facetime while walking in a public area. I don't care about people on their phones- it's those that affect other people by doing it that are annoying (standing in line and not moving up bc on phone, walking into people because on phone, making others move out of their way because they're not watching where they are going, having their phone out in a dark ride or show so it lights up the area in front of you- happened to us on spaceship earth). The OP mentioned not liking people on their phones- being on social media, selfies, etc. I agreed that I saw a ton of it and I miss the days when things were more unplugged but this is what we are going to, I get it. I just can't get on board with people being rude about it.

I guess I don't get this. Periscope? No. Don't know what that is. Millennials making their living? I am a millennial. The people I saw weren't millennials. Two were in their early 40s and the other yeah, was a millennial- mid 20's probably. They were talking on facetime and almost running into people. The people I saw were generally talking about something other than Disney to someone who wasn't there- having a phone conversation on facetime while walking in a public area. I don't care about people on their phones- it's those that affect other people by doing it that are annoying (standing in line and not moving up bc on phone, walking into people because on phone, making others move out of their way because they're not watching where they are going, having their phone out in a dark ride or show so it lights up the area in front of you- happened to us on spaceship earth). The OP mentioned not liking people on their phones- being on social media, selfies, etc. I agreed that I saw a ton of it and I miss the days when things were more unplugged but this is what we are going to, I get it. I just can't get on board with people being rude about it.

periscope is a live video social media thing that is really popular. The dis team themselves time to time will launch a video of them in the park and use their phone as the camera.. You can get alerts from periscope itself or via twitter than someone you are friends with is doing a live video to watch...

I missed the point that it was facetime being used. I have to say I have seen an increase of this in daily life, especially if you go into a coffee shop in a busy city. It's really annoying in my opinion as not only are they having a conversation but seem oblivious that not using a mic and earphone is making it really annoying to those around them.....

everyone complains about disney wifi being spotty or mobile phone coverage but I'm starting to think that might be by design to get some of these to politely stop without being the mobile device police.

some youtubers and heavy social media people make 6-7 figures just being on their device a lot.. i'm sure disunplugged would be different if there wasn't a revenue stream that was related to doing it.

Reactions: TAK
Thanks for the observations especially about the 4th FP I was wondering myself if that meant the availability would be virtually non-existent if you didn't have to wait in line for a kiosk to get it. Guess we'll have to see how it all averages out. The last time I was at WDW and the only time I remember trying to see F! it got stormed out too but they didn't call it until the show was supposed to start 15 mins before..guess it was nice of them though to wait it out.

Thoughts on cell phones is..yes we as a culture are on our cell phones a lot..however you can't always judge and say well that person isn't paying attention to what's around them. You could see me on my cell phone but not see my screen and maybe I'm on the DIS or I'm on Trip Advisor finding my next destination where I'm at or a good local restaurant to eat at (when on vacation in general). You might see me on my cell phone with my in-laws but that's really because step-father-in-law can't handle a smart phone, mother-in-law thinks you have to like EVERY photo in a 60 photo album on FB instead of just the album (she's just now getting into FB) and neither one is good at looking up places to see or places to eat or using GPS.

And really no offense but the "millennial this, millennial that" is REALLLLL old now. I"m 28, considered a millennial and share very little attributes with the ones people so often complain about. I didn't have a cell phone til I was 18, didn't have a personal computer at home til I was 10 and suffered through dial up for YEARSSSSSSS. Part of the reason many young adults are attached to their cell phones is because many (though of course not all) grew up with tablets, computers, cell phones at such an early age. My husband's sister, now 19, had a better cell phone than I had when she was 11. I've known kids with expensive tablets at 6 and cell phones at 6. My old school district has 1st graders on iPads as their main source of interactions. I don't agree with what's listed above but unfortunately it's how it is a lot of places.

The only thing I get annoyed about is when people have the sound on. Do your own thing just keep my experience in mind and hearing your child's game while eating or waiting in line or hearing your long phone conversation in line that honestly could wait (emergency's excluded) or listening to the click clack of you texting is a pet peeve of mine.

I'm glad to hear about RD. I'm going to try and utilize that on our next trip next year so hopefully there is still some value to it. I was one of those don't get to the park til 10 to 11 last time..I really don't want to be that person on this next trip.

Reactions: T_O
Me too just wish people would look at their surroundings as far as walking and keeping a line moving though in all honesty you don't have to be on your cell phone. People with cameras, including cell phones, those who just stop for no appearant reason and those off in la la land.

And ugh that is sooo rude to have your cell phone out and about in a dark place especially on a ride. Sorry that happened to you :sad1:

periscope is a live video social media thing that is really popular. The dis team themselves time to time will launch a video of them in the park and use their phone as the camera.. You can get alerts from periscope itself or via twitter than someone you are friends with is doing a live video to watch...

I missed the point that it was facetime being used. I have to say I have seen an increase of this in daily life, especially if you go into a coffee shop in a busy city. It's really annoying in my opinion as not only are they having a conversation but seem oblivious that not using a mic and earphone is making it really annoying to those around them.....

everyone complains about disney wifi being spotty or mobile phone coverage but I'm starting to think that might be by design to get some of these to politely stop without being the mobile device police.

some youtubers and heavy social media people make 6-7 figures just being on their device a lot.. i'm sure disunplugged would be different if there wasn't a revenue stream that was related to doing it.
Ok now you have my interest piqued about his periscope thing. Is it only available to watch through the app or twitter or can people upload it to youtube for example? Just asking as I have no interest in twitter and not sure I want to download the app.

We were there too last week and agree with most of your observations. FP availability was very disappointing.

We ate at 50's prime time and our waitress totally gave a woman at the next table over a hard time for constantly being on her phone. It was pretty funny.

We got caught in Mexico for the crazy Tues night storm. Tres trips on the Tres Caballaros. :hourglass At least I got to have a blood orange margarita. What was interesting to me was the fireworks. We saw part of Illumunations in between the downpours (we've not seen it before so that was a bit of a bummer). It was delayed half an hour, Wishes went early (they were overlapping and we could see the high flying Wishes displays) and then SitS went too so nearly overlapping as well. The folks at Disney must have been watching the radar and just said, "We've got a break! Go, go, go, just shoot them all!" :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter