October 2014 Car Rentals.

The rental car company we received is through Hertz. It is at the airport.

We rented through Hertz for a trip to Austin this past July. It was part of a Hyatt package deal. As an FYI - they charged us a $300 deposit in addition to $120 in taxes, airport fees, etc. that were not covered in the package. I had been prepared for the $120 (although I was told it was closer to $90). I was NOT prepared for the $300 deposit. The clerk said it was a Hertz company policy. As I had never rented from Hertz before, I didn't know if that was the case or not. Just thought I would throw it out there as an FYI!

We rented through Hertz for a trip to Austin this past July. It was part of a Hyatt package deal. As an FYI - they charged us a $300 deposit in addition to $120 in taxes, airport fees, etc. that were not covered in the package. I had been prepared for the $120 (although I was told it was closer to $90). I was NOT prepared for the $300 deposit. The clerk said it was a Hertz company policy. As I had never rented from Hertz before, I didn't know if that was the case or not. Just thought I would throw it out there as an FYI!

Woah, I've never rented before but that seems high. How soon did you get the deposit back after returning the car?

Can anyone else confirm this is the norm?

Here is what I have now for 10/2-10/7 at MCO from Budget. $136. Used BCD W852875 and Coupon MUWZ107 and pay on-line option at Budget.com. It costs $10 to cancel the reservation. I figured that was worth it if I can find a rate more than $10 cheaper before I go.

Did you use a credit or debit card?

That is the policy of most of the majors and some of the second tier operators. Most people don't know since they usually just put a hold on your credit card that falls off after you return the rental. Debit card users are hit hard.

Alamo and National are the only two exceptions to this I'm aware of. Alamo doesn't put a hold on your card, while National just holds the rental price.

Did you use a credit or debit card?

That is the policy of most of the majors and some of the second tier operators. Most people don't know since they usually just put a hold on your credit card that falls off after you return the rental. Debit card users are hit hard.

Alamo and National are the only two exceptions to this I'm aware of. Alamo doesn't put a hold on your card, while National just holds the rental price.

I did use a credit card, however, since I had never rented from Hertz it was a surprise to me and I thought it would be something to note. Some people don't have the means for a surprise like that. Trips are planned to penny and to some it might make a huge difference. I have an emergency card that I don't use for anything - so it was all good - but a surprise nonetheless.

Woah, I've never rented before but that seems high. How soon did you get the deposit back after returning the car?

Can anyone else confirm this is the norm?

I think it took 2-3 days for the dollars to show up as available again (after I turned in the car).

I haven't checked my Costco reservation in a few weeks and found a welcome sight of 1's instead of 2's at the beginning of the price. I saved $26 by rebooking. Like they said above, every little bit! $184 all in - Budget Economy level - October 3 - October 10 (picking up one Friday at 9:30a and dropping the next at 5:30p, so they are charging an extra day). If I dropped at same time, it would be $150 couple. I'll keep an eye on it, but said I wanted to get under $200 and I'm there, so it's a success! Thanks for posts to remind me to check!

I just saved another $20 at Costco for my October booking. Rate dropped from $186 to $166. Happy Labor Day! :cool1:

Here is what I have now for 10/2-10/7 at MCO from Budget. $136. Used BCD W852875 and Coupon MUWZ107 and pay on-line option at Budget.com. It costs $10 to cancel the reservation. I figured that was worth it if I can find a rate more than $10 cheaper before I go.

On a goof I tried the car rental again this morning. went from $136 to $106 over night.

Just booked a minivan for 13 days from October 7-20 for $544 CAD taxes in through Expedia.ca
I am super happy as everything has been at $700 and more.
Will keep watching in hopes of the prices dropping.

A couple of days ago I found a full-size through Alamo for 2 weeks on CostcoTravel for $409. Glad I booked it because that same car today was $898!

On a goof I tried the car rental again this morning. went from $136 to $106 over night.

Since your reservation was prepaid, how does Budget handle rebooking at the lower rate? Did they credit back your card? Just checking.

I actually have a counter rate, using your codes that is $10 cheaper than my Costco reservation, it is for a smaller car, but there will only be 2 of us so no big deal. I'll hold on to both for right now. Thanks for posting!

Since your reservation was prepaid, how does Budget handle rebooking at the lower rate? Did they credit back your card? Just checking.

I actually have a counter rate, using your codes that is $10 cheaper than my Costco reservation, it is for a smaller car, but there will only be 2 of us so no big deal. I'll hold on to both for right now. Thanks for posting!

$10 cancellation fee and the rest back to card. Still saved $20

Just booked a minivan for 13 days from October 7-20 for $544 CAD taxes in through Expedia.ca
I am super happy as everything has been at $700 and more.
Will keep watching in hopes of the prices dropping.

Our rental starts on Oct. 20 and everything is so high. We need a minivan also and $600-$700 /wk is crazy especially if you need it for 18 days. The total is coming to over $2300. :eek: I don't think I've ever seen it that high. If you're seeing a price drop for your dates I can only hope that it drops for ours in a couple weeks. I've been checking since the end of July and nothing much has happened to the minivan price.

I need to book for Oct 17-24 at the airport.
Is it a good deal booking through BJ's using the Budget codes?
I can't seem to apply both codes.

In regard to the hold placed. I called dollar to see what kind of hold they will place on my debit card (we don't use credit cards), I was told the price of the rental plus 15% of the total will be held.

I hope I am not surprised with a $300 hold!

Our rental starts on Oct. 20 and everything is so high. We need a minivan also and $600-$700 /wk is crazy especially if you need it for 18 days. The total is coming to over $2300. :eek: I don't think I've ever seen it that high. If you're seeing a price drop for your dates I can only hope that it drops for ours in a couple weeks. I've been checking since the end of July and nothing much has happened to the minivan price.

Are you picking up at Orlando?

I'm getting $2043 from Alamo or $1848 if you pay now. No coupons so I'm sure that price can be lowered.

National is $2750. With KLM code comes down to $932. Again no coupons so I'm sure the price can be lowered further.

The KLM code is working for Sanford. Have one ressie with the Visa offer and one with KLM. KLM is $10 more but offers insurance coverage.

Are you picking up at Orlando?

I'm getting $2043 from Alamo or $1848 if you pay now. No coupons so I'm sure that price can be lowered.

National is $2750. With KLM code comes down to $932. Again no coupons so I'm sure the price can be lowered further.

On expedia.ca a minivan is $793CAN inc taxes with Budget from Oct 20 - Nov 7 for 18 days.

How far in advance did you get that price? We're going in November so I am going to try and find this deal if I can! Thanks!

Bidding on Priceline is a great way to save $$$. I booked a car last Christmas during peak season and got 50% of the lowest rate I could find elsewhere. In Orlando you always get one of the major car rental companies that are all located in the terminal. Once your bid is accepted all fees are included in your bid and no refunds or cancellations. Tip: ignore Priceline suggested bids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter