October crowds?

wfjeff

Mouseketeer
we are considering a trip in Oct 2017. This is one time we have not been before. I was thinking this would not be too terribly crowded times. But without any room/FD discounts for this time and ABSOLUTLELY no avail ADRs for some most important choices like BOG and Ohana (i know they are both hard to get but usually with persistence I could find some) I am really starting worry. Even when I checked the day ticket prices at universal they seemed relatively high priced.

Is it because of fall breaks, Halloween party or other circumstances. What have been others exp that month.

I think the reason you having a hard time finding ADR's is because of Free Dining. Even if the parks and resorts aren't full, if you go during Free Dining, the really good ADR's will be gone pretty quickly.

we are considering a trip in Oct 2017. This is one time we have not been before. I was thinking this would not be too terribly crowded times. But without any room/FD discounts for this time and ABSOLUTLELY no avail ADRs for some most important choices like BOG and Ohana (i know they are both hard to get but usually with persistence I could find some) I am really starting worry. Even when I checked the day ticket prices at universal they seemed relatively high priced.

Is it because of fall breaks, Halloween party or other circumstances. What have been others exp that month.
October is a really popular month now due to the Halloween parties, Food & Wine festival, & many U.S. schools now giving weeklong fall breaks in October.

OP is going in October. Free dining isn't available in October.

are you sure they didn't offer it for UK/international or last years bounce backs? I don't remember what those offers were.

edit:

OH WAIT, didn't disunplugged report a month or two ago that october looked jam packed room wise?

Been to Orlando the last 4 years (3 at Disney, last year at Universal) in October and it's gotten busier and busier each year. I wouldn't say peak crowd busy but definitely requires planning. 180 day ADR and 60 day fastpass. Weather is perfect, we do end of October, but I think it's long gone as a least busy time.

Up until the last week of October is fairly busy now. Lots of schools have extended fall breaks now and the Food & Wine festival has become a huge draw IMO. I went October 23-27 last year and it certainly wasn't dead, but it wasn't crazy busy. The weather is absolutely beautiful. Way less humidity than summer, yet it's warm enough to swim but not absolutely melt if you're in the parks in the afternoon. Only issue I ran into was that MK was wall-to-wall on non-party days.

I've visited Disney in every month of the year. October was by far the busiest.

First week and last week will be good, middle two will have crowds. But nothing you can't handle with planning. :) Worst crowds will be Food/Wine on the weekends and Magic Kingdom on a non-party night. I read reviews from people who went the later weeks last year and they said it was great. Remember, everyone's ideas of "so crowded!!!" are very different. And sometimes this board is a touch hyperbolic. ;)

We went 10/21-10/30 in 2014 and it was awesome.

Last October was really crowded, unexpectedly big crowds. The weather is still so nice, though, so still good with planning!

We've been going every October for the past 7-8 years, and as others have said, each year has gotten busier & busier. Last year was the worst! ADRs were impossible to get & hotels were sold out completely months in advanced. We're going again this year (Oct 11-22). We said this would be our last fall trip because the crowds have gotten so bad & were planning to change to Jan/Feb starting in 2019. However, in planning for this Oct I've noticed ADRs have been easy to get, even the big ones, and the hotels have had availability. I'm hoping that means this year will be better than last year, because last year was the worst!

(This is coming from a "spoiled by only ever going in low season" standpoint) :D

Yeah, unfortunately October is getting more busy then ever! with the Halloween party starting in August this year along with the Food and wine starting at the same time it's going to be really hard to get reservations now. we are going the middle of September through October 2nd and have had most of our stuff reserved accept for the food and wine. We're just about 90 days out and getting really excited! good luck in getting everything you want and try and have lots of fun!

Remember, everyone's ideas of "so crowded!!!" are very different. And sometimes this board is a touch hyperbolic. ;)

I don't think anyone is being hyperbolic, but I completely agree everyone has a different idea. It's really about what you've seen before. if you've only seen it very crowded, it's not that much more or even less these days. but if you remember the 80s, then it's extremely crowded all the time.. It just depends on personal experience and it's hard to really qualify what you've seen or know. I personally use certain rides as the more crowded it gets, these rides that should have been replaced a long time ago sudden get very busy.

Great time to go. Weather is beautiful, Halloween is in full swing. Yes it's crowded, but its always crowded. I love Oct/Nov time frame.

We also visit Oct 26th - Nov 10th this year and hope that the crowds will be acceptable. For us this is the best time for a visit as you can get 3 of the best things in one go (MNSSHP, MVMCP and F&W). Also i hope we can manage to get a FP+ for FoP as we're staying off-site in a rental villa (for the private pool) and only have 30 days for FP+. I think getting a FP+ for FoP or 7DMT is a good indicator how crowded a certain day will be. Being from Germany, it is very easy for us to try for FP+ exactly at midnight 30 days in advance.

First week and last week will be good, middle two will have crowds. But nothing you can't handle with planning. :) Worst crowds will be Food/Wine on the weekends and Magic Kingdom on a non-party night. I read reviews from people who went the later weeks last year and they said it was great. Remember, everyone's ideas of "so crowded!!!" are very different. And sometimes this board is a touch hyperbolic. ;)

We went 10/21-10/30 in 2014 and it was awesome.
Not a trace of hyperbole in my post. It is easy enough to look back at the MANY threads here about how crazy October crowds were.

We also visit Oct 26th - Nov 10th this year and hope that the crowds will be acceptable. For us this is the best time for a visit as you can get 3 of the best things in one go (MNSSHP, MVMCP and F&W). Also i hope we can manage to get a FP+ for FoP as we're staying off-site in a rental villa (for the private pool) and only have 30 days for FP+. I think getting a FP+ for FoP or 7DMT is a good indicator how crowded a certain day will be. Being from Germany, it is very easy for us to try for FP+ exactly at midnight 30 days in advance.
Your FP+ window opens at the same time as everyone else's, which is either 6 or 7am eastern time, which will be mid-afternoon for you.

Your FP+ window opens at the same time as everyone else's, which is either 6 or 7am eastern time.
Are you sure it is not midnight 30 days in advance? Our last visit was 2 years ago and it was midnight. Which means 6am in Germany, which is my normal get-up time so the first thing i do is try to get FP+ reservations.

Avoid Columbus Day, the weekend before and the day after and you'll do fine crowd wise, also no WS on a Sat., locals flock to Food&Wine. Our other usual time to go is the first week in March and we find Oct to be less crowded than that. F&W as no effect on crowds in the other parks, possibly even drawing people away from them to attend F&W. Great weather, too.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter