October is here!!! A Semi-live TR!!! Our Oct 7-14 trip to the world!

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
Wahooooo!! Just booked our next trip!! I will come back and post more details but I had to come here and share the exciting news!!!

OMG @Gracefulskinny you are fast!!! I just went over to add my PTR to my signature and bam!!!! Awesome to have you here!!!

So yes...I'm SO excited!! All I have booked so far is our hotel - POFQ...wahoooo! I'm so excited! I've never stayed at any of the moderates before and this one had so many great reviews, both here and from friends I have talked to. We are going from October 8-14 and again it will be just DD (age 9) and myself. I'm taking just my DS (age 12) to Washington DC in June, so it's kinda fair lol. But honestly he doesn't do well with theme parks and the kids fight constantly...so some one on one time is great for both of them. DS will stay here with his dad and it's Canadian Thanksgiving so they'll probably go to MIL's for some turkey. Maybe I will have my turkey at WDW lol!!

Anyway...I don't have time to post much right now...but I can't wait until later when I can really delve into the planning...I think I will try using one of the great spreadsheets I've seen around here...I want to check out what days to do what first I guess before I can plan ADR's...and also the MSSSHP is on...and also I think Food and Wine will still be on....so hopefully I can get those in as well...it's a bit overwhelming...in a fun sort of way of course.

I have a question...might as well post it here but if no one who is reading this knows, I will post to ask everyone on the boards...here's the thing...we are going to most likely be leaving the WDW on October 14 for home. More than likely our flight home will be in the morning, but don't know yet. My DH is trying to see if he can use air miles of some kind or do something to get our flights free (yay!). BUT....when I was booking my WDW tickets - it is only $20 TOTAL for both of us, more to get 7 days of park tickets VS 6 days!! Crazy! So I said "why not?" if there is even a slim chance of getting in an hour or two in the parks?

BUT now that I've started looking at flights, it is looking more and more like we will have to leave the hotel probably at like 8am or some such on departure day...which means no parks that day.

So here's my question...IF I have a 7 day park ticket with no hoppers....but I am only needing 6 days of it...can I use 2 park tickets in one day to go to two different parks? I know it is wasteful - but since I will have one day left and won't be able to use it at all...why not? Do they let you do that???

Something to investigate further........anyway...gotta go get the kids to school and do some ya know...work...sigh. But I will be back when I can to start the planning! If anyone has an awesome planning spreadsheet for ADR's and FP's etc that they'd like to share that would be great too!!

OMG @Gracefulskinny you are fast!!! I just went over to add my PTR to my signature and bam!!!! Awesome to have you here!!!
I was updating my own ptr and saw your post and saw the alert and hopped over. We must just be posting at the same time.

All I have booked so far is our hotel - POFQ...wahoooo!
A nice one for sure. I'll see what I can do to get a pic or two to tease you with while I'm there next week.

.IF I have a 7 day park ticket with no hoppers....but I am only needing 6 days of it...can I use 2 park tickets in one day to go to two different parks?
Short answer... no. Many have tried and many have failed at this. sorry. The tickets don't work that way. However, I would consider the Parkhoppers. It really makes a world of difference in the planning process.

If anyone has an awesome planning spreadsheet for ADR's and FP's etc that they'd like to share that would be great too!!
I'll see what I can do for you later. I might be able to find a way to share mine.

Short answer... no. Many have tried and many have failed at this. sorry. The tickets don't work that way. However, I would consider the Parkhoppers. It really makes a world of difference in the planning process.

Ugh...dangit. I had a feeling that was the case but asked anyway...sigh. Too bad. Yeah I don't know...I've never got the "hopper" before because I always thought that one park per day was enough....but now with all the different scheduling factors...EMH, FP+, ADR's....it might change things a bit on this...but the park hopper is quite a lot more money...Maybe I will work out how much more per day it ends up being and see if we'd use it...I mean I doubt we would need it on MK days...but for HS and AK days I think we might want to do something in the evening instead...but then...there's always DTD too...so I don't know...and with the MNSSHP one night...that doesn't need a park ticket so I could use our tickets that morning to go somewhere else? I dunno...SO much to think about!!

And yeah I'd love to see your spreadsheet if you don't mind...am I allowed to give you my email address here? Or I can PM it to you?

I'm here too!
Just a warning though. I don't do much with PTRs. But I'll keep an eye out. :)

I'm here too!
Just a warning though. I don't do much with PTRs. But I'll keep an eye out. :)

No worries!! I like reading them to get ideas but I do sometimes get confused about who has already been on their trip and who is planning and if it's current or ages ago...too much for my brain!! But thanks for coming by anyway!

Following!

The nice thing about hoppers, is you can add it on when you are there, if you decide you want them. We got hoppers for our first trip, and never ended up hopping, so we didn't this last time and didn't miss them. But, it was a short trip. For this long of a trip, you might want them - but otoh, you can always check out resorts and dtd, etc if you get tired of one park.

Maybe you can get a later flight out on departure day?

Well I did try to do this, but unfortunately Air Canada only has 2 flights a day out of MCO at that time of year...so it was either 11:45am or like 8:00pm ...and as much as I'd love to do the 8pm....we DO sadly have to get back to work and school and reality the next day so I don't want to get home at 1am with my DD....so...11:45am it is...so sadly I don't think it will be a park day that day because I imagine the ME will want to take us at like 8:45 or some such...which really just leaves time to get up and have some breakfast if that...sigh....so sadly even though I paid the $20 for that last park day just in case...I don't think we will get to use it. Oh well.

Following!

The nice thing about hoppers, is you can add it on when you are there, if you decide you want them. We got hoppers for our first trip, and never ended up hopping, so we didn't this last time and didn't miss them. But, it was a short trip. For this long of a trip, you might want them - but otoh, you can always check out resorts and dtd, etc if you get tired of one park.

That's good to know -ie: that you can add hoppers last minute. I think for the price I will try to avoid it though...there's so many other things I could spend $178 or whatever it is on....and also, when thinking about the days I think we may only actually have "hopped" once or twice...so not really worth it for the extra money. It really does seem like a lot of money to add the hopper...I don't really get WHY they charge so much for that priveledge? I mean, chances are they will get more money out of you if you go to two parks in a day anyway...why does the cost have to be so much? I don't get it. But oh well. We don't really need it. You are right...there is so much to do at the resorts and DTD (where we'd likely spend the cost of a hopper!)

This PTR started off a little weird...since I was so excited to have booked our trip and this is my first PTR. I just realized that people usually do some sort of intro at the beginning just in case "gasp" someone comes over here who doesn't know me yet lol. So, here goes the intros.

I'm Kathy, the mom. My DD is Alexis, age 9. I also do have a DH (Shaun) and a DS (Carter) But you won't hear as much about them here because they aren't coming on this trip!! Why? Well...as I explained in my last TR...my DS...does NOT do well with waiting and theme parks and crowds. He has ADHD and ODD and some other issues....that just make his life a bit difficult in some situations. We have taken him to WDW a couple of times when he was smaller...and while it was fun in parts...it was a lot of frustrating and scared on his part and some tears (on both his and ours) and we decided that maybe "gasp" theme parks might not be his thing. As hard as that is for a Disney fan to get...I have sort of accepted the fact that Disney can be my DD and my "thing".

I do plan on taking just DS on his own with me to Washington, DC in June for a few days so he doesn't feel left out - and also I think it's really good for each kid to get some one on one time. So...with that out of the way...DS is going to stay here when we go in October. It's going to be Canadian Thanksgiving here anyway...so DH will take him to the in laws and spend some time with them and eat some turkey. Also...in a last ditch defense of me going to Disney with just my DD and without my DH and DS...my DH just started his own business less than a year ago...and it's hard for him to take too much vacation time just yet....ONE DAY he promises that he will be able to take a lot more vacations....(even if that means he has to "work" while on them....)

Maybe I will give you some other info that people like to share on these things....I haven't had THAT many trips to WDW and I haven't stayed "in the bubble" very many times...but I'm seriously HOOKED after our last short trip in March!

Favourite park: MK...followed by Epcot
Favourite ride: Haunted Mansion, followed by Peoplemover
Favourite Disney food: Cake cups from Cheshire Cafe (although after we go to food and wine...I may have more to add to this list...)
Favourite Disney Character: that's a tough call and it changes all the time...for today I'll go with...Eeyore
Favourite Restaurant: Until this last trip, I hadn't tried very many TS restaurants...but I will say Kona Cafe was fantastic

With that out of the way, on to planning this trip!!

We are going to WDW from Thursday October 8th-Wednesday October 14th!! Wahooooo! I've never been at that time of year...I've heard the weather is good for theme parking so that's good...I hope there isn't a lot of rain but I guess we will have to be prepared for that.

So far, I haven't done a ton of planning but I have scoped out a few ADR's. I can't believe how many of the coveted ones are already impossible to get. I will keep trying though...I really want a pre park opening breakfast ADR for BOG or CRT...but since when we booked it was already into the 180 day window...sigh...not sure it's gonna happen. I hope if that fails we can at least get a character breakfast or some such. I was also hoping to get a dinner at O'hana...but sadly couldn't get that either on any of the days I tried. I haven't given up though...I know things can change.

I did manage to start my spreadsheet and use the easywdw.com to start figuring out what best days to go to each park etc. Unfortunately we may have to be at HS during on of the non recommended days...I just couldn't make it work any other way...but hoping that in October it won't matter as much.

I scored a few ADR's so far...Sci Fi at HS..which is new to us so very excited. Also got an ADR for Raglan Road for dinner - I have been there for lunch but want to see the entertainment they have in the evenings. Oh and lastly, I got us tickets to the MNSSHP!!! Wahooooo!!! So excited!! I hear that's really something special and I think DD will really enjoy it! I have to think of something fun yet comfortable to wear for that too!!

So that's pretty much it for the plans so far....

.I really want a pre park opening breakfast ADR for BOG or CRT...but since when we booked it was already into the 180 day window...sigh...not sure it's gonna happen.
To my knowledge, BOG breakfast is still in "testing phase" and dates for ADRs are only released out through july at the moment. I would keep an ear out and pay attention. You never know.

I was also hoping to get a dinner at O'hana...but sadly couldn't get that either on any of the days I tried. I haven't given up though...I know things can change.
People over on the Facebook Group for May have been swearing by DisneyDiningBuddy. You set it up and it will alert you when an adr comes available for what you are looking for.

To my knowledge, BOG breakfast is still in "testing phase" and dates for ADRs are only released out through july at the moment. I would keep an ear out and pay attention. You never know.

That's good to know...I will keep trying!!

People over on the Facebook Group for May have been swearing by DisneyDiningBuddy. You set it up and it will alert you when an adr comes available for what you are looking for.

That sure looks interesting...I can't believe it has come to this lol...an app to help you get a coveted reservation...sigh. I may still do it...but sigh...it's kind of sad.

I'm Kathy, the mom.

Hi Kathy! :wave2:

my DS...does NOT do well with waiting and theme parks and crowds. He has ADHD and ODD and some other issues....that just make his life a bit difficult in some situations.

That's too bad. :hug:

we decided that maybe "gasp" theme parks might not be his thing.

I love that you could recognize this.
I've seen too many parents trying to force their square peg child into a round hole.

Favourite ride: Haunted Mansion, followed by Peoplemover

Did I ever tell you how intelligent I thought you were?

Oh and lastly, I got us tickets to the MNSSHP!!! Wahooooo!!! So excited!!

No way!!!
You are absolutely going to LOVE IT!!!
Easily the most fun I've ever had in the park.
Easily the best parade.
And I haven't seen 'em all, but the best fireworks that I've seen.

I have to think of something fun yet comfortable to wear for that too!!

Do that. Dressing up is part of the fun.
You'll have fun even if you don't, but... when was the last time you got to go trick or treating????

Raglan Road sounds like fun. I like entertainment with my dinner every so often.

I'd probably try to map out which days in which parks, using crowd calendars and how you want to pace things, and then add in ADRs, maybe tinkering a little as you go.

I love that you could recognize this. I've seen too many parents trying to force their square peg child into a round hole.

Yeah, as much as it kinda makes me sad that we probably won't do many "whole family" theme park visits or trips....is is probably better for everyone this way. He does actually prefer visiting cities and going to things like museums and such. I like that stuff too...in smaller doses lol...so I will do some of that with him and spread things out. It certainly keeps life interesting. I did try for a while to "force him into the round hole" but...in the end it's just not worth all the money and aggravation if he isn't really enjoying it.

No way!!! You are absolutely going to LOVE IT!!! Easily the most fun I've ever had in the park.
Easily the best parade. And I haven't seen 'em all, but the best fireworks that I've seen.

I'm SO excited about this. Actually even just the idea of going to Disney in October is exciting too - I've only ever gone during peak times like xmas vacation and March break...so even though I'm sure the party will be busy, I think it will be really special.

Do that. Dressing up is part of the fun.
You'll have fun even if you don't, but... when was the last time you got to go trick or treating????

I definitely plan to dress up...it's gonna be fun trying to think of something to wear. The only thing is, it might be tough to know what the temperature is gonna be like in October. It's funny because here in Toronto, it can be either quite warm, or cold enough that you have to make your kids wear coats over their costumes lol. So this will definitely be a different Halloween experience. I'm thinking one of those comfortable princess dresses from Disney store (they may actually be PJ's lol) might work well for DD...but that's just a thought...I have lots of time to think about that! And yeah...trick or treating at DISNEY!! How cool!!!

Raglan Road sounds like fun. I like entertainment with my dinner every so often.
I'd probably try to map out which days in which parks, using crowd calendars and how you want to pace things, and then add in ADRs, maybe tinkering a little as you go.

Yes, I really did like the food at RR last time but wanted to try other things on the menu as well. And my DD is into dance so I think she would enjoy the dancers there. I looked at crowd calendars a bit and I think I've mostly figured out our park days....although I may change things before October. I went by their predictions for all but our HS day because I just couldn't make it work any other way without park hoppers...which I really don't want to spend the extra money on. So I suppose for that day, if it's gonna be busy we will just have to hit RD and do the best we can with that and our FP+ and hope for the best. DD has never been to DHS and I haven't been in years...so my expectations aren't that high...but I do want to do TSMM and the Frozen sing along...and the animation class....other than that I'm not sure what our Must do's for that park will be.

It's funny because here in Toronto, it can be either quite warm, or cold enough that you have to make your kids wear coats over their costumes lol.

Tell me about it!
I distinctly remember one year not wearing a jacket (taking the DDs out) because it was so warm,
and the next year we had a foot of snow on the ground.

I'm thinking one of those comfortable princess dresses from Disney store (they may actually be PJ's lol) might work well for DD

I was very excited for you... right up until you mentioned it was for your DD. :laughing:

October is a great time to go to WDW! We went in October a few years ago and really loved it - decent crowds, nice weather, and Food & Wine!

Looks like you've got some great plans so far! I've wanted to try Sci Fi, but haven't had the chance. And MNSSHP should be awesome - I've heard so many great things about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter