Official 2014 Dopey Challenge Thread!

What kind of Dopey Merchandise are folks expecting at the expo? Shirts, sweatshirts, etc?

I'm hoping for a 48.6 car magnet, I got a insulated Goofy travel mug in 2012 that I really like, one of those for Dopey would be cool too. It's not Dopey specific but they used to sell an "I know a little German" t-shirt with dopey on the back of it in the German Pavilion in Epcot. That would be neat.

I lurk a lot, but need advice. My training had gone great, until I got a cough on Christmas Eve and I was just diagnosed with bronchitis. My doctor put me on what he called an "aggressive treatment", and told me to go slow, walk when I needed and always have my inhaler. I'm not going to run again until Wednesday (which is okay since it is cold in Pittsburgh). I'm happy that I wasn't just told to bag it, but now am trying to figure out the best way to make it through all of the races. Any advice on running with bronchitis?

I lurk a lot, but need advice. My training had gone great, until I got a cough on Christmas Eve and I was just diagnosed with bronchitis. My doctor put me on what he called an "aggressive treatment", and told me to go slow, walk when I needed and always have my inhaler. I'm not going to run again until Wednesday (which is okay since it is cold in Pittsburgh). I'm happy that I wasn't just told to bag it, but now am trying to figure out the best way to make it through all of the races. Any advice on running with bronchitis?

Does moisture help or hurt? It should be a little more humid than PA, so I hope that helps.

Cough drops maybe? Just don't choke on them... :)

And do a run/walk deal--you should be okay time wise I suspect.

Hang in there, I hope that you feel better soon!

Glad your doctor gave you the OK to do the races. I had bronchitis a long time ago and I remember it stuck with me for months. I would keep your inhaler very handy to be safe, walk when you start getting out of breath (and you probably will), run when you feel good (and you will), but most of all, take this as an opportunity to just have fun and take it all in. If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to get pictures with characters, have fun, take it slow and get your money's worth. Most of all, listen to your body...Good luck fellow Pittsburgher and safe travels!

Great advice so far. What corral are you in? What is your pace? Start slow and easy then see how things go. Increase your speed or not, as you see fit. Main thing is have fun.

My knees have given me problems for over 2 weeks now and while I am slated for corral I, I will be starting in front of the Balloon Ladies. My plans are to stay in front of them with enough time difference to stop for a McFlurry at mile 15 in the full.

McFlurry John

This might sound stupid, who are the balloon ladies?

IIRC from last year, three(?) ladies carrying balloons who are last to cross the start line and walk at a 16mpm pace. Everybody must be ahead of them throughout the race or they can be swept off the course.

McFlurry John

My parents' flight tomorrow was cancelled. The best they got was standby on a flight landing at 9:30 pm on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, they're my only babysitter for DS while I run.

I'm hoping for some major pixie dust. pixiedust:

Glad your doctor gave you the OK to do the races. I had bronchitis a long time ago and I remember it stuck with me for months. I would keep your inhaler very handy to be safe, walk when you start getting out of breath (and you probably will), run when you feel good (and you will), but most of all, take this as an opportunity to just have fun and take it all in. If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to get pictures with characters, have fun, take it slow and get your money's worth. Most of all, listen to your body...Good luck fellow Pittsburgher and safe travels!

Good luck my pittsburgh runners!!! I will not be at wdw this weekend, tink next instead, but remember you from previous posts and wanted to shout out good luck. Enjoy your trips and run safe!

I'm really bummed that none of the Dopey merch information has been posted. I've seen all the race shirts except for Dopey on instagram. Disney Parks released their Merchandise post too and it has Goofy stuff in it but no Dopey stuff. I really hope they are just keeping it hidden so it's a suprise at the expo.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/2014-walt-disney-world-marathon-weekend-returns-with-new-merchandise/

Update:
Disney parks merch guy just posted this:
@All  At the time I wrote this article, merchandise samples for the Dopey Challenge were unavailable. Good news, however, is that there are plenty of options, and I just had samples delivered to my office this morning! Please stay tuned for some additional looks.

Thank you all for your advice! I'm feeling slightly better today, so I hope it continues to go in a good direction.

Sigh.
My flt is cancelled.
Toronto is an icy wasteland, it seems.
And every alternate flt I try for for tomorrow (Wed) goes via Toronto.
I'm on Westjet, and the best they can do is same flt but one day later
ie.....I miss the 5k run of the Dopey.

It's not the worse thing that could happen, but it is pretty darn frustrating!

Sigh.

Sigh.
My flt is cancelled.
Toronto is an icy wasteland, it seems.
And every alternate flt I try for for tomorrow (Wed) goes via Toronto.
I'm on Westjet, and the best they can do is same flt but one day later
ie.....I miss the 5k run of the Dopey.

It's not the worse thing that could happen, but it is pretty darn frustrating!

Sigh.

Oh no! I hope they can accommodate you! I fly out tomorrow morning and I hope you do too!

Oh no! I hope they can accommodate you! I fly out tomorrow morning and I hope you do too!
Thanks, dumbo_buddy.

I'm beginning to think I'm lucky to have called WestJet & held the half hour last night: I have a confirmed flt 1 day later, ie arrive 2pm or so on Thursday the 9th (I miss the 5k run)

I called this AM, and there is now a 4-7 hour hold time to speak to an agent!!! :scared:
And online it shows next avail flt is Sunday (last night it was Saturday).

As of 10pm, last night, I think my friend and his group could only manage to get flights from Newfoundland to Disney on Saturday. Double :sad::sad:.

So, I'm not happy, but still, it's just one day late, and it will be warm not super freezing for a week!
Can't wait to get to Disney to soak up the energy!.....

Thanks, dumbo_buddy.

I'm beginning to think I'm lucky to have called WestJet & held the half hour last night: I have a confirmed flt 1 day later, ie arrive 2pm or so on Thursday the 9th (I miss the 5k run)

I called this AM, and there is now a 4-7 hour hold time to speak to an agent!!! :scared:
And online it shows next avail flt is Sunday (last night it was Saturday).

As of 10pm, last night, I think my friend and his group could only manage to get flights from Newfoundland to Disney on Saturday. Double :sad::sad:.

So, I'm not happy, but still, it's just one day late, and it will be warm not super freezing for a week!
Can't wait to get to Disney to soak up the energy!.....

Do you have to get a wristband at the end of the 5k to show/trade at the end of the 10k? You will want to figure that out with rundisney ahead of time if possible.

Also, maybe u can run a 5k the day you arrive. Not the same I know, but at least you can know you ran the first leg if the race if not in the actual event.

Do you have to get a wristband at the end of the 5k to show/trade at the end of the 10k? You will want to figure that out with rundisney ahead of time if possible.

Also, maybe u can run a 5k the day you arrive. Not the same I know, but at least you can know you ran the first leg if the race if not in the actual event.

I sent a message to runDisney asking if there would be any sort of accomodation, given that hundreds might be in the same boat, suggesting I could do just that, but have not heard back.

I just wanted to pop on here and wish each of you the best of luck this week on your races. I hope you all have a very magical week, with lots of Disney bling!:cheer2:

Saw on the cast member 'hub' that Dopey kids who cant get here before tomorrow morning will be able to qualify for dopey without the 5k BUT have to check in with the expo people (my guess is will need to show proof of flight delay etc)

Also heard rumblings that theyll have the bibs tomorrow morning at the race but cant confirm that all all...

-em

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter