OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

Hello Marathoners!

A long time WISHer popping in (and not reading the thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned) to say that a small group of WISHers, including myself, will be on hand Sunday to scream-team at Wide World of Sports--somewhere in the 19-20 mile point.

We will have oranges and cold washcloths and cow bells and pixie dust to help you finish the race. We'll try to make our WISH presence obvious--signs or shouting or whatever, although we are an "equal opportunity scream team" and will help Anyone who needs it.

So if you see a crazy group of people--one may have a green wig-that would be us. Please stop if you need a pick-me-up, or a hug (we are not averse to sweat!). We have all done this race before (most of us as recently as last year) and know the final stretches can be tough.

Good luck, and may the temperatures moderate!

Maura

PS There will also be another group of WISHers outside of DHS with even more goodies.

Thank you!! We will be looking for you. That's a really tough portion of the race, so a boost of good energy at that point will be very welcome. :goodvibes

Looking for a lighter shirt to run in now. Any good suggestions? Hard to find anything in stores during the winter

I know I'm down in Florida but I'm going to assume Sports Authority and Dick's also carry dri fit t-shirts up north in colder weather states.I think any simple dri fit t shirt would work just fine,the lighter the color the better.I was going to go with an Under Armour yellow one but with the forecast showing 80 or more I'm going to go with a white one.Same thing happened last year,the closer we got and seeing that 80 degrees on the forecast I went white as well.Living down here and dealing with 90-95 degrees for like 7-8 months I have plenty of dri fit white t shirts.I have no idea how people wear the costumes with the heat.

Hello Marathoners!

A long time WISHer popping in (and not reading the thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned) to say that a small group of WISHers, including myself, will be on hand Sunday to scream-team at Wide World of Sports--somewhere in the 19-20 mile point.

We will have oranges and cold washcloths and cow bells and pixie dust to help you finish the race. We'll try to make our WISH presence obvious--signs or shouting or whatever, although we are an "equal opportunity scream team" and will help Anyone who needs it.

So if you see a crazy group of people--one may have a green wig-that would be us. Please stop if you need a pick-me-up, or a hug (we are not averse to sweat!). We have all done this race before (most of us as recently as last year) and know the final stretches can be tough.

Maura

PS There will also be another group of WISHers outside of DHS with even more goodies.

Thanks!!! I'll be on the lookout for you all :)

Looking for a lighter shirt to run in now. Any good suggestions? Hard to find anything in stores during the winter

As suggested already...the dri fit are best...for me anyway. I find the summer dri fit clothing at places like Tj Maxx or Marshalls...however I did buy a full priced dri fit Nike womens tank at a sporting store...same style I had worn last year and I loved it.

Also the expo is very large with many different vendors and if you get there early enough (meaning Wednesday or Thursday) you should see racks of different clothing around. I do know the later you get there during the week the more things run out of stock. There is also Amazon...and if I didn't see this Nike tank top at the sports store than I would have ordered it through Amazon. Of course at this late in the game...you wouldn't have time to return or exchange it if it didn't fit.

I am noticing the temps are rising. I posted the weather last week and it went from low 70's to now low upper 70's and I am even starting to see low 80's on some websites and weather channels. I am beginning to think its going to be as hot as it was last year....which was hot!

Hello Marathoners!

Maura

Thanks for the support!!! Starting to get very nervous!!!

Target & Kohl's....I can't speak for what they have or whether you will like what they carry, but I noticed that Target had short sleeve tech shirts for women on display. I sent my husband to Kohl's to get another pair of running shorts this week, so I'm guessing they have the tech shirts too.

I'm running the 1/2, but thought Id ask here since the discussion has turned to the weather....my plan was to wear running Capri leggings under my sparkle skirt, then last week I added CEP compression socks to the mix, with the temps creeping up I wonder if compression shorts would be a better choice so I don't get to warm.

Does anyone recommend a tried and true compression short that does NOT ride up??? I primarily run in capris for this reason, can't stand shorts that ride up

For all those that are going out to buy new clothes this close to race need to be cautious. You should really not wear something new for a race. You don't know how your body will handle the clothing. It could rub you differently than other clothes or may be stiffer than your other running clothes. Best bet is to go with what you're already familiar with.

For all those that are going out to buy new clothes this close to race need to be cautious. You should really not wear something new for a race. You don't know how your body will handle the clothing. It could rub you differently than other clothes or may be stiffer than your other running clothes. Best bet is to go with what you're already familiar with.
I fully agree, though I failed to think ahead for the warmer temp, anything I have now I think will be rather warm. I do have dri-fit t's but I think I prefer a sleeveless type tank. If it were shoes or shorts I'd never mess with it now since those are the moving parts that propel me forward. But if my pits rub or something I feel I can block that out and still run. I'll be getting something soon to wash and wear a bit for a semi-test. Worst case I'll apply sun block and can drop the shirt (a men's advantage) though I don't have the body for that ;-)

I agree about not running in something new, but if you have a few days to test it out it might be worth a try. With temps near 80 I'd prefer to slather on some body glide if it meant I could wear shorts. I can't stand capris/tights when it's >45 degrees, so 80 degrees would feel like a sauna.

ugh I know it's close! I wouldn't normally even be thinking about it, running in the capri length leggings isn't usually a problem for me at these temps, it's just the new addition of compression socks that is throwing me off. It makes me feel like I have full length pants on and I know I'll be too warm then, but I'm not sure I want to ditch the compression socks either. :worried:

Have you tried the clearance racks? And you could always get something at the Expo.
I have checked some, I can do some more. Thanks for the reminder. I don't want to do the expo because I can run it through a wash cycle first nor wear it at least once for a short run. I could hand wash it but it wouldn't be the same. I may still get something there just not wear it in Sunday. Runningwarehouse.com has free 2 day shipping. I don't leave until Friday so I'm ordering a shirt (or 3) today to try on, wash and test at least a little.

I agree about not running in something new, but if you have a few days to test it out it might be worth a try. With temps near 80 I'd prefer to slather on some body glide if it meant I could wear shorts. I can't stand capris/tights when it's >45 degrees, so 80 degrees would feel like a sauna.

I will do like last year and cover myself in several layers of bodyglide before the race as well as bringing a mini bodyglide with me on the race to reapply where needed.I find it much more important to do in warm temperatures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter