Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

So I know there has been a lot of talk about the race retreat. My husband, trying to show his support for my hobby like I do his (hunting and fishing......all the time!) mentioned today he is going to buy me a band into the race retreat. Going in as a solo runner, what are the pros and cons? What, realistically, do I need to do to make the price worth it? Thanks guys!!!

I had Race Retreat for last year's race - my first. I was so nervous (and solo) that I appreciated having a place to go once I got to Epcot. I sat, stretched, and nibbled a bit on some food. The separate port-o-potties were empty and clean - that was nice too. After the race, I had a little breakfast. That was about it. The massages looked like a good idea, but there were too many people ahead of me.

I think the price is probably too high, but I'm still glad I had it. With fewer nerves, I'm sure I'd take a pic with the character there, eat a bit more, etc. The bag check seemed quick too.

So I know there has been a lot of talk about the race retreat. My husband, trying to show his support for my hobby like I do his (hunting and fishing......all the time!) mentioned today he is going to buy me a band into the race retreat. Going in as a solo runner, what are the pros and cons? What, realistically, do I need to do to make the price worth it? Thanks guys!!!

I had Race Retreat for last year's race - my first. I was so nervous (and solo) that I appreciated having a place to go once I got to Epcot. I sat, stretched, and nibbled a bit on some food. The separate port-o-potties were empty and clean - that was nice too. After the race, I had a little breakfast. That was about it. The massages looked like a good idea, but there were too many people ahead of me.

I think the price is probably too high, but I'm still glad I had it. With fewer nerves, I'm sure I'd take a pic with the character there, eat a bit more, etc. The bag check seemed quick too.

I completely agree with alexce! It was great for my first PHM and my first Disney marathon. One of the biggest benefits is just knowing where to go and having a temperature controlled area to wait in. That's huge. Because it was my first PHM in 2014 and my first Disney marathon in 2015, I wanted to get there super early. I think I boarded transportation right at 3am or maybe 3:15 at the latest. So that's important - you may want to get there early so that you don't have to worry about transportation glitches and so that you can enjoy the pre-race food. I liked not having to think about getting bagels, bananas, coffee or water for the room before the race - it was all there. And as a solo runner, it gives you a place to be away from all the chaos for a little bit! I think I mentioned this earlier, but I highly recommend the kids' area for solo runners pre-race. There were a ton of us just eating our pre-race bagels and bananas, sitting on the floor or on bean bags and watching Disney cartoons. Nice way to relax and kind of zone out a little before the race. The bathrooms and the easy gear check were nice too. And then they made announcements about going out to the corrals, and we'd start to head out. My family meets me after the races, so I don't spend much time in there post-race. For the PHM, I grabbed my flip flops, my gear bag and some food and ate it outside the tent while hanging out with my family. After the marathon last year, they didn't allow anyone outside the tent with food, so I grabbed my gear bag, ate a few bites of a sandwich while standing at the exit and then left.

Our oldest son is running the PHM with me, and we've now participated in a number of runDisney events at WDW (and one at DL) so I'm not really feeling the need for the race retreat. On the other hand, the temperature controlled aspect of the retreat would be great. He was really crabby while waiting for the 2015 Marathon Weekend 5K to start - funny, because he was wearing a full length Elsa costume, leaving a trail of glitter and whining about the cold. :) But we probably wouldn't get there early enough to use it much. Still on the fence . . .

All,

My mother, husband and I have taken 90+ trips to the World. We got married there and vacation there as often as we can. I enjoy every aspect of Disney - it's an obsession. After all of these trips, I have yet to do something - participate in a runDisney event. Now if you knew me, and thought of me participating in any kind of athletic event, you would laugh - openly. This is a bizarre thing for me. However, my mother had a massive stroke that paralyzed her right side and robbed her of her speech three years ago and in recent months, I made up my mind to improve my health a bit so as to possibly avoid being in the same boat someday. What better motivation than a Disney event with merchandise and another reason to plan a trip? I registered for the Princess 5K months ago when AP registration opened up and I've been walking up a storm ever since. As this is my first runDisney event (first 5K anywhere), I have a few questions for all of the experts here. Here we go:

1. I've bought the Chear package for my mom and husband primarily so they can use the bleachers to wait for me to cross the finish line. My mom is in a wheelchair but can walk small distances when necessary. Will the bleachers be a good spot for them to wait?

2. I know that there is transportation for resort guests the morning of the race. We'll be at FW. (We have alway stayed on property but now have FW as a home so we can be in our newly acquired motor home bought specifically for traveling with our two dogs. These dogs mean the world to us! I mean, we bought a motor home for them!☺️) Do you think, though, that we can drive to EP for the race and park using my mother's handicapped tag? We drive to EP when we visit the park because it's so much easier to do that with the wheelchair rather than the rigmarole of the buses.

3. How strict is the 16-minute pace? I'm not far off of it but I'm not under 16 for sure, as I'm walking. Seeing that this is the 5K and not a Longer race, I'm wondering if the pace isn't as strict. I've looked at You Tube videos of people in the 5K races and they don't look like they're just tearing up the asphalt. Any advice?

4. Anything else in general to know???!!! I'm all about knowing what to expect and I don't like winging things. I'm particularly concerned about my family waiting for me...

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!!

All,

My mother, husband and I have taken 90+ trips to the World. We got married there and vacation there as often as we can. I enjoy every aspect of Disney - it's an obsession. After all of these trips, I have yet to do something - participate in a runDisney event. Now if you knew me, and thought of me participating in any kind of athletic event, you would laugh - openly. This is a bizarre thing for me. However, my mother had a massive stroke that paralyzed her right side and robbed her of her speech three years ago and in recent months, I made up my mind to improve my health a bit so as to possibly avoid being in the same boat someday. What better motivation than a Disney event with merchandise and another reason to plan a trip? I registered for the Princess 5K months ago when AP registration opened up and I've been walking up a storm ever since. As this is my first runDisney event (first 5K anywhere), I have a few questions for all of the experts here. Here we go:

1. I've bought the Chear package for my mom and husband primarily so they can use the bleachers to wait for me to cross the finish line. My mom is in a wheelchair but can walk small distances when necessary. Will the bleachers be a good spot for them to wait?

2. I know that there is transportation for resort guests the morning of the race. We'll be at FW. (We have alway stayed on property but now have FW as a home so we can be in our newly acquired motor home bought specifically for traveling with our two dogs. These dogs mean the world to us! I mean, we bought a motor home for them!☺️) Do you think, though, that we can drive to EP for the race and park using my mother's handicapped tag? We drive to EP when we visit the park because it's so much easier to do that with the wheelchair rather than the rigmarole of the buses.

3. How strict is the 16-minute pace? I'm not far off of it but I'm not under 16 for sure, as I'm walking. Seeing that this is the 5K and not a Longer race, I'm wondering if the pace isn't as strict. I've looked at You Tube videos of people in the 5K races and they don't look like they're just tearing up the asphalt. Any advice?

4. Anything else in general to know???!!! I'm all about knowing what to expect and I don't like winging things. I'm particularly concerned about my family waiting for me...

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!!

Wow, what an amazing story!! Good for you for taking on this challenge! I hope you have so much fun you want to continue!!!

From what I have heard they do not sweep for the 5K.

I'm doing my first 10K and the 5K also. I am excited. But training has been slow--- I broke a toe. Still I am looking forward to the challenge.

I am running the half -- it will be my first! I am a bit nervous because I had to lay off of my training a bit due to illness right after Christmas :scared: I'm hoping to keep with my intervals and just push on through, though. DH, dd, my mom, and I will all be staying at Poly in a Villa on our points. Getting excited!!!

Ok I don't know how I have been able to be the first with a lot of this stuff but I stumbled upon he PRE ORDERS for the PHM Dooney and Bourke purses!!! It's on active. They don't have pictures but it doesn't really matter to me!!!

Ok I don't know how I have been able to be the first with a lot of this stuff but I stumbled upon he PRE ORDERS for the PHM Dooney and Bourke purses!!! It's on active. They don't have pictures but it doesn't really matter to me!!!

You beat me to it!! I just checked active and saw them listed!! Now to decide what I want!! Wonder how long it will be before they show the design.

You beat me to it!! I just checked active and saw them listed!! Now to decide what I want!! Wonder how long it will be before they show the design.
I was torn between the cross body and shopper so I went with the larger. My DH of course wasn't happy I was buying something sight unseen but let's be honest does it really matter????

@Panikim Think I'm going with the shopper also! I am assuming we pick up at the expo and they won't have to ship them.

Hmm. Very interesting. I might get the little pouchette. Has anyone gotten one of those before?

Okay, just one more Mickey/Marathon post. The guy whom Mickey helped across the Finish posted a YouTube! His girlfriend, who had been supporting his weight, can be heard on the video:

I hope you all don't think I'm neurotic about Mickey. CM friend is actually my DD :oops: and chooses to remain incognito for most of my posts but she's pretty much a part of this thread as she'll be running, too!
I love this video. More and more inspiration for myself!

I may or may not have just purchased the crossbody :confused3 thanks for that tidbit! I was really bummed with the way things went down last year! This makes up for the yellow ribbons on the half medal!

All,

My mother, husband and I have taken 90+ trips to the World. We got married there and vacation there as often as we can. I enjoy every aspect of Disney - it's an obsession. After all of these trips, I have yet to do something - participate in a runDisney event. Now if you knew me, and thought of me participating in any kind of athletic event, you would laugh - openly. This is a bizarre thing for me. However, my mother had a massive stroke that paralyzed her right side and robbed her of her speech three years ago and in recent months, I made up my mind to improve my health a bit so as to possibly avoid being in the same boat someday. What better motivation than a Disney event with merchandise and another reason to plan a trip? I registered for the Princess 5K months ago when AP registration opened up and I've been walking up a storm ever since. As this is my first runDisney event (first 5K anywhere), I have a few questions for all of the experts here. Here
!
FANTASTIC!!! Love your story! So proud of you! You go girl!

What happened last year?

They did not have a pre-order for the Dooneys and they sold out within minutes at the expo on Thursday, bought by people not even running, and were posted by that evening on EBAY for double or triple what they were bought them for. Unless you could be there when the doors opened, you had no chance of getting one.

Well worth it, if you ask me! I like having a temperature controlled place to sit (with CHAIRS), snacks and water I didn't have to tote in, a cleaner porta-potty, separate bag check, and a hot breakfast. It's not an amazing breakfast, but it's quick, hot, and I don't have to stand in a line for it. I'll do it every time I run a half. I wish they had it for the other distances!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter