Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Also, keep in mind that the walk from the pre-race area to the corrals is almost a mile, as well. I try to take that slow in order to save my feet & legs, but I've seen some folks sprinting to the corrals. It's like, dude, chill, the race hasn't even started yet, lol.

It's so funny, because I use landmarks to indicate easier or tougher parts of the course. For instance, the marching band is my "OMG the race just started and it's still dark, let's go!" landmark. Jack Sparrow & the Black Pearl is my "Hey cutie, I'll see you on the flip side" landmark (since we pass him again on the return leg). The villains are my "Almost to the MK" landmark. The dip under the overpass at CR with the guy waving his GIANT hands to the music is my "Get pumped for the MK" landmark. Passing through Main Street USA makes me feel like a celebrity even though I literally know not one soul that's cheering me on. Then I get through Tomorrowland and into Fantasyland, and that's my "Ok, I can pee here" stop since those restrooms are right along the course and there's rarely a wait. Wave at Mickey & Minnie as I pass through Cinderella castle, then get my mid-air jump shot for the MarathonFoto guys (smile!). After passing through Frontierland and on my way out of the MK, I always get spooked by the train tooting its horn (I blame the movie "Stand By Me"). After getting out through MK, it's the scenic nature route combined with the bottleneck down to one lane. Stupid cones getting in my way. Then, wave at the DJ! Dance, dance, dance while I run. Wink at the cuties in the tuxes singing songs with the pumpkin carriage. The course widens. OMG it's snack time! Grab a Clif Shot, but save it till the water stop so I have something to wash it down, because those taste so nasty to me but I know I need them (note: I really should remember to bring an extra pack of Sport Beans so I don't have to take a Clif Shot). Phew! Ok, pass the McDonald's that smells so good. Don't slow down now, because here come the on-ramps. Get yelled at by the Green Army Man. Run over the over-pass, then back down. Oy, the sun is in my eyes. Ugh, another on-ramp, but holy crap I can see Epcot. Run, run, run down through the gates into Epcot. My goodness, this race is almost over. Give some of the cast members a high-4 since they're wearing Mickey hands. Wassup, Fairy Godmother, you're looking fly for being here for god-knows-how-long. Alrighty, just doubled-back, which means I'm almost out of the park and look, it's the gospel singers!! Time to kick it into high gear, because there's the finish line!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOO! MICKEY! MINNIE! JUMP ACROSS THE FINISH LINE! Alright, where's my medal? Got it. Gimme some of that pixie dust. Grab a water, snap a photo, gimme dem nanas and my snack box. Now, where's my fiancé?

And that's pretty much what goes through my head during the race, lol. (I'm sure I listed some of those out of order, but that's to the best of my memory, haha).

Your 'run down' just got me so hyped up! :cheer2:

Also, keep in mind that the walk from the pre-race area to the corrals is almost a mile, as well. I try to take that slow in order to save my feet & legs, but I've seen some folks sprinting to the corrals. It's like, dude, chill, the race hasn't even started yet, lol.

It's so funny, because I use landmarks to indicate easier or tougher parts of the course. For instance, the marching band is my "OMG the race just started and it's still dark, let's go!" landmark. Jack Sparrow & the Black Pearl is my "Hey cutie, I'll see you on the flip side" landmark (since we pass him again on the return leg). The villains are my "Almost to the MK" landmark. The dip under the overpass at CR with the guy waving his GIANT hands to the music is my "Get pumped for the MK" landmark. Passing through Main Street USA makes me feel like a celebrity even though I literally know not one soul that's cheering me on. Then I get through Tomorrowland and into Fantasyland, and that's my "Ok, I can pee here" stop since those restrooms are right along the course and there's rarely a wait. Wave at Mickey & Minnie as I pass through Cinderella castle, then get my mid-air jump shot for the MarathonFoto guys (smile!). After passing through Frontierland and on my way out of the MK, I always get spooked by the train tooting its horn (I blame the movie "Stand By Me"). After getting out through MK, it's the scenic nature route combined with the bottleneck down to one lane. Stupid cones getting in my way. Then, wave at the DJ! Dance, dance, dance while I run. Wink at the cuties in the tuxes singing songs with the pumpkin carriage. The course widens. OMG it's snack time! Grab a Clif Shot, but save it till the water stop so I have something to wash it down, because those taste so nasty to me but I know I need them (note: I really should remember to bring an extra pack of Sport Beans so I don't have to take a Clif Shot). Phew! Ok, pass the McDonald's that smells so good. Don't slow down now, because here come the on-ramps. Get yelled at by the Green Army Man. Run over the over-pass, then back down. Oy, the sun is in my eyes. Ugh, another on-ramp, but holy crap I can see Epcot. Run, run, run down through the gates into Epcot. My goodness, this race is almost over. Give some of the cast members a high-4 since they're wearing Mickey hands. Wassup, Fairy Godmother, you're looking fly for being here for god-knows-how-long. Alrighty, just doubled-back, which means I'm almost out of the park and look, it's the gospel singers!! Time to kick it into high gear, because there's the finish line!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOO! MICKEY! MINNIE! JUMP ACROSS THE FINISH LINE! Alright, where's my medal? Got it. Gimme some of that pixie dust. Grab a water, snap a photo, gimme dem nanas and my snack box. Now, where's my fiancé?

And that's pretty much what goes through my head during the race, lol. (I'm sure I listed some of those out of order, but that's to the best of my memory, haha).

That is an awesome way of describing the course:) Love it! I personally love the green army man, its my prized picture from PHM 2014. At home I run hilly routes, not huge hills, just lots of small rolling ones. So the flats of WDW get tedious for me. I welcome that hill for the change of pace. One of these years I'm going to stop for push-ups;)

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.10.29 AM.png

Last edited:

LOL you're welcome ladies! I don't mind the green army man yelling at me. It makes me chuckle to myself because he's so witty, and the other on-route characters don't interact with the runners the way he does so it's really fun.

@sidrich - the MarathonFoto folks are peppered all throughout the race, you'll notice them because they wear reflective vests. There's one always set up at the front of Cinderella's castle. runDisney will usually post a compilation video of all the jump shots in front of the castle - well, they did last year. I can't remember if they did in years past.

I'm supposed to do 2.5 miles this week. Here's hoping!

Fingers crossed and praying for a great 2.5 miles!

I would like to see more bibs for Dopey 2018. Although I just might have to go thru a T/A to get one.

I am very tentatively dreaming of Dopey in 2018 too so I concur.

Do the sparkle skirts have an elastic band? What size would a 34/36 waist convert to in a ladies size? Friends think I am crazy. Maybe a little but this is going to be a great weekend with my daughter. Going to be whatever she wants to do weekend.

Check the website as they do have measurements. And they do have an elastic waist.

So you have a package? The MB-matching luggage tags only are sent with packages. (sad for my DVC self) I'm sure YOU know that, but for others reading, the difference between the package luggage tags (proper plastic things) and the DME luggage tags (like airline sticky luggage tags but bright yellow) has always been a difficult one to quickly explain.

I do have a package. I've denied the MagicBands the last couple trips, but wanted a luggage tag! :)

Best recap EVER!

@Luv2Run Thank you for that visual! I think about it the same way more or less! I also look forward to the large screen playing old Disney movies at the turn around before heading to Epcot, near mile 11 maybe?

Yeah, the big screen is right around that point. I remember they used to have announcers set up and would call out people's names as they passed, kinda like they do now at the finish line. It was a good motivator to push through the last few miles to the finish, but I also enjoy the old movies too, because it puts that Disney magic into the race.

I just checked my email from last year and we got an email on Feb 5th saying we were able to download waivers.

Last year waivers were up January 26th. (I searched a group I'm in to find the date for this.) They just didn't send an email until Feb 5th. We normally find out here or one of the FB groups before they send the email out. So there is some hope for finding out sort of soon.

ETA: Based on more searching it looks like corrals were released Jan 29th last year, so a few days after waivers went up.

Last edited:
Here's a question for yall. How early do you need to leave for the expo to be there when the doors open? I know buses start rolling out around 9:30, but my friend said for W&D that got her there at 9:50 so when she got there the doors were already open. We are contemplating getting a cab or Uber to get there a little earlier than the bus transportation. (I've never been to the expo at opening so I'm unsure how this works.) Worth the cab or Uber fare to line up?

So for those of us who have never run this course in any of it's forms (ie WDW Half, Princess Half, etc) how soon after exiting the castle should I look to jump? When I ran W&D I barely had any photos that were posed (I like to wave or throw up a peace sign or thumbs up with both hands, etc and smile at the camera) because by the time I noticed the photo people I was already too close I guess. I think they are on telephoto and then later in post processing crop and stuff to make it look like a close up photo. I just don't want to miss the opportunity to jump at the castle!!

Here's a question for yall. How early do you need to leave for the expo to be there when the doors open? I know buses start rolling out around 9:30, but my friend said for W&D that got her there at 9:50 so when she got there the doors were already open. We are contemplating getting a cab or Uber to get there a little earlier than the bus transportation. (I've never been to the expo at opening so I'm unsure how this works.) Worth the cab or Uber fare to line up?

I wondered if they opened the doors early this year because I was in a HUGE line of cars parking at 930-940 and by the time I made it to the expo (I went straight into the expo first, didn't pick up my bib until later) there were already crazy lines at KT and the official store- and that was still 10 minutes before 10.

For Marathon Weekend, I was in line at WWoS at 8:45 a.m. and was about the 20th or so person in line. They opened the doors to let us in at 9:30. That, obviously, put me in line before anyone traveling by bus since I was staying off property and drove in my own vehicle.

All of the must-have Dopey stuff was gone in a cloud of smoke within five minutes of us walking into the official merchandise area (I'm talking jackets, pullovers, hoodies).

So for those of us who have never run this course in any of it's forms (ie WDW Half, Princess Half, etc) how soon after exiting the castle should I look to jump? When I ran W&D I barely had any photos that were posed (I like to wave or throw up a peace sign or thumbs up with both hands, etc and smile at the camera) because by the time I noticed the photo people I was already too close I guess. I think they are on telephoto and then later in post processing crop and stuff to make it look like a close up photo. I just don't want to miss the opportunity to jump at the castle!!

For marathon weekend, there were photogs as SOON as you come out the castle, but man ... it was so crowded. During the half, there was literally NO walking. It was just a packed herd of people pushing through.

If the posed picture is important, I would go out of the castle, down the ramp and then circle back in front of the castle (like in front of the stage area) where you can better stage the photo with FAR fewer people.

I just don't know that it will be physically possible for you to jump exactly as you come out of the castle without knocking into someone, falling or getting hurt because it is just. so. crowded.

This. Was. Awesome.

Totally made me smile. And not like I wasn't looking forward enough to my first runDisney race, but your post made me 10x more excited!

For both races, I've tried to go to the expo earlier in the day. I know its precious rope drop time, but I'd rather get my race packet and get out of there. I bet the lines can get crazy. Maybe its just me, but once you've done a race expo, you've done them all. It doesn't really get me in the race spirit, but I know it does for others. I like to get my stuff, buy a headband and get out of there :)

For those of you who haven't run the PHM yet and are wondering about the jump photo opportunity, don't worry. You'll be able to see the exact spot you need to be at for the pic. It's become sort of a cult favorite for those wanting one of those shots for their bucket list. runDisney even managed to showcase them in their timelapse video from last year's PHM:

At around :42 is where you will see a compilation of all the jump photos, like this one that I screenshotted from the video:
Screenshot_2016-01-21-13-42-44_zpsfgtjvkh0.png

As you can see, there will be an area where you can queue up to take the photo. Though, the area is not very big, but still...

Anyway, there will be volunteers pointing you to the area when you get through the castle, like this one on the left in purple (the ones this year may not be wearing the same color, I just said purple so you could reference it in the pic):
Screenshot_2016-01-21-13-39-12_zpsredjboai.png

Costume question! @Keels, @Ariel484 I was just trying to finish up my Daisy costume and was thinking about her pink bow. I ordered the BowMama's pink 13.1 ears. They are my first pair from her and I haven't received them yet. I know both of you have talked about having some of these. Could you imagine wearing them for a race? The pink bow on them would be just right for Daisy, but I am not sure what I'd think about them, the band looks pretty wide. I wore Maleficient ears for the 10k last year, and that was fine, but it was a thinner band and less than half the distance. Just curious what your opinion is because I leave in less than four weeks, so I need to figure this out pretty quick, and maybe come up with another plan.

Costume question! @Keels, @Ariel484 I was just trying to finish up my Daisy costume and was thinking about her pink bow. I ordered the BowMama's pink 13.1 ears. They are my first pair from her and I haven't received them yet. I know both of you have talked about having some of these. Could you imagine wearing them for a race? The pink bow on them would be just right for Daisy, but I am not sure what I'd think about them, the band looks pretty wide. I wore Maleficient ears for the 10k last year, and that was fine, but it was a thinner band and less than half the distance. Just curious what your opinion is because I leave in less than four weeks, so I need to figure this out pretty quick, and maybe come up with another plan.

Hmmmm ... that's hard to say. I have a weird sized and shaped head, so they fit a little loose on me ... I'm pretty sure I'd be constantly adjusting them if I were to run with them.

That said, I don't really run in anything other than a hat, so ... I'm running again on Monday (we're driving tomorrow and Saturday), so I'll give them a try!

No - for me personally, they are actually a little too big on my head, so they would be constantly flopping/falling down and I would have to keep adjusting them.

Hmmmm ... that's hard to say. I have a weird sized and shaped head, so they fit a little loose on me ... I'm pretty sure I'd be constantly adjusting them if I were to run with them.

That said, I don't really run in anything other than a hat, so ... I'm running again on Monday (we're driving tomorrow and Saturday), so I'll give them a try!
So...same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter