Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

If you don't pre-print your race waiver before you arrive, there will be computers at packet pick-up that you can use to print off your waiver. Your waiver will have your bib number on it, and you just go to the booth with your bib number range and present your waiver & photo ID, and they will provide you with your bib, GEAR bag with bag tag that matches your bib number, and safety pins. Then you head into the Expo to pick up your shirt. I'm not 100% sure about your kids races question, but maybe someone else who is more familiar can answer that one.

thanks so much!

ID is pretty much *the* thing you need. They'll have computer and printer stations to print your waivers.

If you go and pick up your son's bib and shirt, he'll get the shirt.

I do wonder, though, why he can't run? I can't figure out what the issue of his race being later in the day is. Is there anything any of us (total strangers) can do to help? Can we talk about the specifics of the timing issues, perhaps brainstorm a bit?

thanks for the helpful info! As for the kids race, when I planned, I used the 9 am in Epcot time frame. It is now 11 at ESPN. We are meeting friends for lunch and fast passes that we can't seem to reschedule. Also, its just too much running back and forth after our own 10K. I'm not devastated, but would at least like to receive a shirt for him to wear :)

Wow what is Zombies Run!? It sounds like something that would be up my alley. I've been going through Rick Grimes withdrawal lol
*cracks knuckles* What is 'Zombies Run!', you ask? Possibly the only reason I'm going to be able to finish the PHM. When my friend approached me about running at DisneyWorld, last spring, I had successfully avoided running ever since completing the final mile run in high school gym class. I thought running was an easy way to ruin a perfectly nice walk. But...I really wanted to go back to Disney World. So I needed a way to start running.
Zombies Run! is an smartphone app- I actually started with the baby version "Zombies Run 5K Training"- which takes you from couch to a 5K in 8 weeks- the regular app is not a coach like the 5K app, but completing each mission is a powerful means of motivation for me. On days that I'm not crazy about running, I still want to know what's going to happen next in the story!

It's sort of like being a part of a radio play - people are speaking to you (usually telling you to run faster because there are zombies on your tail!), but you don't have any lines, and the dialogue is interspersed with music from your playlist. You are "Runner 5", the newest arrival in an outpost of survivors of the zombie outbreak in the UK. Since fuel is scarce and needed for essential generators, runners are a very important tool used to gather supplies, share intelligence, and solve mysteries. Each runner wear's a headset- unfortunately, the microphone on yours seems to be broken ;). Each mission has a goal and on your way you are talking with Sam the radio operator, or to fellow runners. There is an ongoing story and as you run you also collect things. Nothing brightens a boring stretch of a long run like hearing a cheerful "Picked up a baseball bat", "Picked up a sports bra". The app is either free, and you get two episodes a week, or you can pay a subscription fee and get all the episodes at once. They are almost starting Season 5, I think. I'll finish Season 2 on my long run this weekend. (Good thing too because I got captured and I have no idea how I'm getting myself out of this one!)

I find it very entertaining. As do the other runners in my group- we give each other weekly updates by email to stay motivated, and my updates include how far I ran, my pace, and what key events happened to me in the game. There's a 20K Race Mission I'm saving for WDW. I'll be the one on the course occasionally looking over my shoulder in fear. Season 2 they really upped the standard of the sound effects.

*cracks knuckles* What is 'Zombies Run!', you ask? Possibly the only reason I'm going to be able to finish the PHM. When my friend approached me about running at DisneyWorld, last spring, I had successfully avoided running ever since completing the final mile run in high school gym class. I thought running was an easy way to ruin a perfectly nice walk. But...I really wanted to go back to Disney World. So I needed a way to start running.
Zombies Run! is an smartphone app- I actually started with the baby version "Zombies Run 5K Training"- which takes you from couch to a 5K in 8 weeks- the regular app is not a coach like the 5K app, but completing each mission is a powerful means of motivation for me. On days that I'm not crazy about running, I still want to know what's going to happen next in the story!

It's sort of like being a part of a radio play - people are speaking to you (usually telling you to run faster because there are zombies on your tail!), but you don't have any lines, and the dialogue is interspersed with music from your playlist. You are "Runner 5", the newest arrival in an outpost of survivors of the zombie outbreak in the UK. Since fuel is scarce and needed for essential generators, runners are a very important tool used to gather supplies, share intelligence, and solve mysteries. Each runner wear's a headset- unfortunately, the microphone on yours seems to be broken ;). Each mission has a goal and on your way you are talking with Sam the radio operator, or to fellow runners. There is an ongoing story and as you run you also collect things. Nothing brightens a boring stretch of a long run like hearing a cheerful "Picked up a baseball bat", "Picked up a sports bra". The app is either free, and you get two episodes a week, or you can pay a subscription fee and get all the episodes at once. They are almost starting Season 5, I think. I'll finish Season 2 on my long run this weekend. (Good thing too because I got captured and I have no idea how I'm getting myself out of this one!)

I find it very entertaining. As do the other runners in my group- we give each other weekly updates by email to stay motivated, and my updates include how far I ran, my pace, and what key events happened to me in the game. There's a 20K Race Mission I'm saving for WDW. I'll be the one on the course occasionally looking over my shoulder in fear. Season 2 they really upped the standard of the sound effects.
OMG that sounds like so much fun! I am totally downloading this tonight!

I was looking back at last year's Princess thread. It looks like we found out bib numbers somewhere around 1/26. They didn't release info on the Dooneys until 2/9. Hopefully that will be sooner this year.

Wow what is Zombies Run!? It sounds like something that would be up my alley. I've been going through Rick Grimes withdrawal lol

@sperkins921 and @Planner2012 I love getting new fitbit friends (especially Disney fans haha) I'm sending a PM to get your fitbit usernames if that's OK

Also as far as treadmill tips @Anisum I don't think there is a secret to make it any more palatable. The things that keep me on it when I have to be are 1) very upbeat music blasting in my ear 2) something fairly interesting to sort of watch on the TV (I actually prefer some kind of game. The athleticism is inspiring to me and I don't have to pay super close attention to it and 3) I do vary it up a bit. Every 5 minutes or so I change the incline a degree up, then change the speed up one notch. Go up for a while and then come back down. Repeat.

I'm just hoping and praying that next week (my last scheduled long run before Princess weekend), I can run outside and not on the treadmill.

I just got done with my indoor run with the FB. Not super accurate around my ankle. (I thought it would be since my runner is like a zero impact thing. Think arc trainer meets treadmill) Will do my next run on Monday and I'll go back to wrist for that and see if it's better. It's GREAT on my ankle for daily life, but if I'm not running where there is an impact then it doesn't appear to get all the steps. It's okay because I can add the mileage later- but I don't think adding counts for a challenge?

Anyway, for me, the hardest thing I had to overcome with running was the boredom. It took a long long time before I could just go inside my head and zone out. I'm scared to start turning on the TV while I'm doing indoor runs because I'm afraid that I'll become dependant on it when I can get outdoors again.

I've heard of this Zombies Run app; I haven't used it yet. I think I'll give it a shot when the weather warms and I go back outside again. I think, if I'm remembering correctly, that when the zombies come- you have to pick up the pace to evade them. And I'm guessing it needs GPS input to know if you've done that?

Also, along the thread of helping pound away the miles on a stationary object, I agree with whomever it was said that needed a fan going. I open the deck slider and turn on the ceiling fan to get fresh air circulating in the room. As for music- Rock My Run. It's a great app. I have so many great mixes that I have come across on there. There's something for everyone, but I prefer house/trance/electronica type music to run to. Something about the lack of constant lyrics helps me zone. So like David Guetta and Mobin Master etc.

Also, for those of us who use things like Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, Rock My Run etc. to run when we train: Let me do a PSA and remind people to start solidifying your mixes now so that they are actually physically on your phone or iPods and don't rely on a network connection to supply your music. I learned the hard way at Wine and Dine- tooooo many people in one area equaled no cellular connection for 90% of the race. Had I not had other music on my phone (and sadly, it wasn't the music I like to run too) I would have had NOTHING to listen to.:sad::sad1::sad2:

If music makes or breaks your run- please learn from my mistakes! Download those mixes/songs from the cloud now vs thinking you'll be able to stream at the start line like I did. :music:

Holy Crap does that sound fun!!
Guess I need to get on the bandwagon and download this thing too!!

Do any of you guys use it successfully indoors on treadmills and such??

Also, keep in mind that the walk from the pre-race area to the corrals is almost a mile, as well. I try to take that slow in order to save my feet & legs, but I've seen some folks sprinting to the corrals. It's like, dude, chill, the race hasn't even started yet, lol.

It's so funny, because I use landmarks to indicate easier or tougher parts of the course. For instance, the marching band is my "OMG the race just started and it's still dark, let's go!" landmark. Jack Sparrow & the Black Pearl is my "Hey cutie, I'll see you on the flip side" landmark (since we pass him again on the return leg). The villains are my "Almost to the MK" landmark. The dip under the overpass at CR with the guy waving his GIANT hands to the music is my "Get pumped for the MK" landmark. Passing through Main Street USA makes me feel like a celebrity even though I literally know not one soul that's cheering me on. Then I get through Tomorrowland and into Fantasyland, and that's my "Ok, I can pee here" stop since those restrooms are right along the course and there's rarely a wait. Wave at Mickey & Minnie as I pass through Cinderella castle, then get my mid-air jump shot for the MarathonFoto guys (smile!). After passing through Frontierland and on my way out of the MK, I always get spooked by the train tooting its horn (I blame the movie "Stand By Me"). After getting out through MK, it's the scenic nature route combined with the bottleneck down to one lane. Stupid cones getting in my way. Then, wave at the DJ! Dance, dance, dance while I run. Wink at the cuties in the tuxes singing songs with the pumpkin carriage. The course widens. OMG it's snack time! Grab a Clif Shot, but save it till the water stop so I have something to wash it down, because those taste so nasty to me but I know I need them (note: I really should remember to bring an extra pack of Sport Beans so I don't have to take a Clif Shot). Phew! Ok, pass the McDonald's that smells so good. Don't slow down now, because here come the on-ramps. Get yelled at by the Green Army Man. Run over the over-pass, then back down. Oy, the sun is in my eyes. Ugh, another on-ramp, but holy crap I can see Epcot. Run, run, run down through the gates into Epcot. My goodness, this race is almost over. Give some of the cast members a high-4 since they're wearing Mickey hands. Wassup, Fairy Godmother, you're looking fly for being here for god-knows-how-long. Alrighty, just doubled-back, which means I'm almost out of the park and look, it's the gospel singers!! Time to kick it into high gear, because there's the finish line!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOO! MICKEY! MINNIE! JUMP ACROSS THE FINISH LINE! Alright, where's my medal? Got it. Gimme some of that pixie dust. Grab a water, snap a photo, gimme dem nanas and my snack box. Now, where's my fiancé?

And that's pretty much what goes through my head during the race, lol. (I'm sure I listed some of those out of order, but that's to the best of my memory, haha).

I love your description!!!

Don't want to be the bearer of (potentially) bad news, but the pirate ship was not out for the Half or Full during marathon weekend ...

I missed this last year. Ran out of time, wishing I hadn't waited in some other lines now. But will still enjoy who / what ever is out on the course this year.

So I may or may not have just joined the fitbit revolution :rolleyes1 thanks to a nice price match of a great sale (BB priced to I think it was Sears) and now I realize I don't know anyone else with one.

Any of you guys know any communities where people can join so they can 'friend' other people for challenges? Or any of you guys have one and don't mind a (semi) random person friending your fitbit account??

I will send you a pm.

I know you can use it with a treadmill. It has the option of using either the GPS on your phone OR the accelerometer, which you would use for treadmill mode. I think you input your stride length and then it calculates distance based on your steps. The only difference in game play is that in GPS mode it plots a map of your run, and it's animated with different colors, so you see where you were running faster or slower- but obviously no map in treadmill mode.

I've heard of this Zombies Run app; I haven't used it yet. I think I'll give it a shot when the weather warms and I go back outside again. I think, if I'm remembering correctly, that when the zombies come- you have to pick up the pace to evade them. And I'm guessing it needs GPS input to know if you've done that?

Well, there's the zombies chasing you as part of the mission story (not just zombies, but mad scientists, rival outposts, crazy cannibals...), and then there is an additional, optional feature called, creatively enough, "Zombie Chases." In the normal mission, at some point Sam the radio man might say "Runner 5, you've got 20 fast zombies closing in from the east, but you are clear to the north. Pick up the pace and you can avoid them." Since this is a part of the story, whether or not I successfully evade the zombies is up to the script, not my own pace- so while hearing that might inspire me to run a little faster, I don't need to change pace to complete the mission. A lot of walkers play Zombies Run. Mission clips are not speed dependent- you can set your mission to last either a pre-selected amount of time or a pre-selected distance, and depending on the number of audio clips in the mission (usually 6-8 per mission, although today mine has 12) the app automatically will select what time interval will evenly space them out, and it will select songs from the playlist you designated that fill those intervals.

Zombie Chases is an additional, optional feature that I actually haven't used yet because I am hoarding supplies to trick out my base. Basically you can set how frequently you want to be "chased", and irregardless of the story, you will randomly hear an alert "Zombies detected", and I think a beeping like sonar that tells you how far away they are, and in this case you do need to pick up your pace to successfully avoid them. You pick how frequently this happens AND how much faster than your average pace you need to move to qualify as "escaping". If you don't escape, you drop any items you collected during the run.

In either case, you can use the accelerometer on your phone instead of a GPS and do all of this on the treadmill.

Well I used the app for the first time this morning on my 7 miles run @sidrich and it DEFINITELY helped me go faster. I ran with DH for part of the time (he is working on a C25K program) and a few times I had to leave him in my dust because THE ZOMBIES WERE COMING! It was pretty entertaining and I liked that I could listen to my normal playlist.

Just did an 8 mile run in the mid 30's. Sun was shining but the wind cut right through me! Averaged a 13:25 pace. Hoped to do better but between some little dogs chasing me and having to double back so their owner could catch them, missing a run interval so I could go to the park bathrooms to blow my nose (forgot my Kleenex), and stopping completely to run back to DH who was behind me on his bike when I glanced back and saw him and his bike down (he stopped to pick up a golf ball! :scared1: Seriously?) Anyway it was a good run lol. I also ran my fastest mile ever at 12:25! It was my first mile and I was trying to warm up lol! :)

On TV this morning on TLC there was a program on DW Resorts. Wow it looks big! This is getting me in the mood! 25 days till we leave time is flying by. Starting to think about what to bring got my throw away gloves at the dollar store, big tube a Voltaren, Shot Blocks & Honey Stinger. Have not decided about clothes yet. I think I'll bit the bullet and order a Sparkle Skirt the Canadian Dollar is so bad. But I love these skirts. Trying to save money for the official merchandise.

A few thoughts for runners who would like to celebrate the PHM with a purchase, but aren't drawn to the Dooneys and New Balance. (Disclaimer: love running the PHM, but not a princess fan - always a Minnie girl.)

Harveys instead of Dooneys! Harveys seatbelt bags has the Minnie coin purse back in stock! Anyone looking for Harveys Minnie stuff might want to check back on the website.

Uggs instead of New Balance! I wear merrell zero drop/barefoot running shoes so those NB shoes have way too much cushion for me. But I LOVE uggs. The new Minnie Mouse slippers are perfect for post-run and very festive! (Bows are a little too big for me, so I just added a couple stitches and made them smaller.)

Also thinking I'll like the 19.3 hoodie from Raw Threads more than the official merchandise. I have a vneck "Snow" shirt, and I'm always thinking I might buy something else. Does anyone have a Raw Threads hoodie? Reviews?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter