Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

I called last night to check on mine and the gentleman I talked to said that most of the ME tags for that time frame would be going out last night and today, and that we should have them in 7-10 days. I asked why they're so late this year and he said that they don't like to send them out so far in advance anymore.

@bumbershoot - I used to live in Federal Way. :)

So, people with big phones, I have a question: I upgraded to the LG G4 yesterday, and since I have a Ballistic case on it, it's too big to fit in my old Armpocket. With the case, it's 6" x 3.25" (this thing feels like I'm carrying around a ham sandwich with me everywhere I go, lol). What are your suggestions for what to get to carry my phone so I don't have to hold it in my hand? Get a new, larger Armpocket? Switch to a Flip Belt? I know for sure this thing will be too big for my SPIBelt.

Hey everyone! My DH is going to be in Orlando for work for the weekend so I get to tag along with him and run another Disney race while he's working. I just signed up for the Princess half last week with a TA and I'm so excited! I'm not going to be as trained as I usually am but this will be my 9th half marathon so I'm just going to have fun and enjoy the course!

So, people with big phones, I have a question: I upgraded to the LG G4 yesterday, and since I have a Ballistic case on it, it's too big to fit in my old Armpocket. With the case, it's 6" x 3.25" (this thing feels like I'm carrying around a ham sandwich with me everywhere I go, lol). What are your suggestions for what to get to carry my phone so I don't have to hold it in my hand? Get a new, larger Armpocket? Switch to a Flip Belt? I know for sure this thing will be too big for my SPIBelt.

I just upgraded to an iPhone 6s and added an external battery case so I can relate. I tested out running with it in my flip belt which works good as long as you don't need to use it during the run. It's hard to get it in and out.

I called ME last Wednesday and they told me they were at the printers and would be mailed after that. DD26 received them yesterday! Now she has to mail me mine. I also made my reservations online but did not receive a confirmation email. But when I called they had all the info correct. :)

I love my Buddy Pouch: http://www.therunningbuddy.com/collections/2015-buddy-pouch

I hope everyone is digging out of this crazy snowstorm and thinking ahead to being able to train outside again, we are getting closer and closer :)!

Can anyone tell me where one can get coffee at 4:30AM near the starting line? So this essential piece of logistics is at least taken care of in my mind? One down, a few more to go lol.
The last few races @WDW, there has been a cart selling hot beverages and fruit, in the tent line where the charities are, right outside the security bag check area. I think I have used my magic band there, but it might be a good idea to have a few bucks on you incase its cash only.

I just upgraded to an iPhone 6s and added an external battery case so I can relate. I tested out running with it in my flip belt which works good as long as you don't need to use it during the run. It's hard to get it in and out.

Thanks for the info! Since I'm so used to running with an Armpocket, I think I'll go ahead and order both the Armpocket and the FlipBelt, and see which one I like more. I can always return whichever one doesn't work for me.

@Luv2Run I have an iPhone 6plus in an otter box and I use a cheap belt I got from the dollar section at Target. I think it was $5. Has two zippered pockets. I don't have any trouble getting my phone in and out while running.

Today was the weirdest run of my life.
1. Hubby told me the laps at the track were 3 miles. I did 2 laps and noticed that the zombie run app had me at 6 and I was happy. I cooled down and stretched and went to play around with the app. Took off my sunglasses and there it was... 6 KM and not 6 MILES! Ooops. Apparently I was supposed to cross the street to get the extra mile. And this was after I had called my husband so excited that I had run an 9 minute mile. So I opted to walk a loop since I was cooled down and had lost a lung somewhere on the first lap.

2. Zombie Run was awesome in that it motivated me. It was not awesome in that I heard helicopters and shooting and didn't know if it was from the app or from being on the Army base! Yes, they occasionally do target practice right next to the track and seeing an 18 year old trying to hit a plastic mannequin about 10 feet from you will make you run faster!

3. As the app told me that zombies were spotted ahead I happened to look up (because I can't tell the difference between real and imaginary apparently) and there were 150 soldiers out doing pt in their black uniforms in the distance. Yep, they looked like zombies!

4. Trying to get down sport beans is hard when you have a dry mouth and are doubled over hacking up a lung.

5. As I was walking and enjoying the scenery, I happened to see the paved track my husband had mentioned. I checked the sign to see the distance and it said "1 lap=5/10, 2 laps=10/10, 5 laps=2.5 miles." I literally stopped and started laughing. Did it not occur to anyone that 5/10 was a half mile and that would make more sense to put on the damn sign?

Today was the weirdest run of my life.
1. Hubby told me the laps at the track were 3 miles. I did 2 laps and noticed that the zombie run app had me at 6 and I was happy. I cooled down and stretched and went to play around with the app. Took off my sunglasses and there it was... 6 KM and not 6 MILES! Ooops. Apparently I was supposed to cross the street to get the extra mile. And this was after I had called my husband so excited that I had run an 9 minute mile. So I opted to walk a loop since I was cooled down and had lost a lung somewhere on the first lap.

2. Zombie Run was awesome in that it motivated me. It was not awesome in that I heard helicopters and shooting and didn't know if it was from the app or from being on the Army base! Yes, they occasionally do target practice right next to the track and seeing an 18 year old trying to hit a plastic mannequin about 10 feet from you will make you run faster!

3. As the app told me that zombies were spotted ahead I happened to look up (because I can't tell the difference between real and imaginary apparently) and there were 150 soldiers out doing pt in their black uniforms in the distance. Yep, they looked like zombies!

4. Trying to get down sport beans is hard when you have a dry mouth and are doubled over hacking up a lung.

5. As I was walking and enjoying the scenery, I happened to see the paved track my husband had mentioned. I checked the sign to see the distance and it said "1 lap=5/10, 2 laps=10/10, 5 laps=2.5 miles." I literally stopped and started laughing. Did it not occur to anyone that 5/10 was a half mile and that would make more sense to put on the damn sign?

Oh my gosh- yes, I imagine listening to Zombies Run on an Army Base would be totally surreal! You can change the settings so that it gives you distance in miles instead of kilometers. It's made in Britain, so they default to the metric system. And I totally look up when they tell me to. It's gotten to the point where I have yelled at Sam, who is fictional, while running in the park, out loud. Fortunately there wasn't anyone around to hear me.

During the first mission I ended up laughing because there's a line where Runner 7 is saying "Don't look back, she's right behind you." And then it cut to my music, which cheerfully started playing "Oh don't you dare look back, just keep your eyes on me..." Thanks Walk The Moon, that was good sound advice.

Everything I've heard about gummies and beans sounds unpleasant. Do people find them necessary for the half? Or do you skip the fuel?

Everything I've heard about gummies and beans sounds unpleasant. Do people find them necessary for the half? Or do you skip the fuel?
I usually consume beans for anything longer than 5miles. I buy the mixed packs and I like the taste of them (except for the fruit punch) so I don't find them unpleasant at all. I haven't tried a lot of different gummies because once I found beans worked for me I didn't want to waste money on things I may not have even liked.

I would say that I would need them for the 1/2 because I usually don't drink Gatorade or powerade so they're my only source of extra fuel. It depends on how you run though. You may be fine without anything (though I don't think that's recommended) or you may need something. Whatever you decided just make sure to try it out before the race because nothing is worse than feeling gross for the last 4.5 miles or so because you decided to try a gel or whatever they're offering.

RooSports are pretty nice. I think they usually have a booth at runDisney expos.

http://theroosport.com/

I need them for runs longer than an hour, which is also the general recommendation. I like Clif Shot Blocks with 3x the normal salt, my preference is the margarita flavor. I am a very salty sweater, as in I come home caked in salt after runs. I need the extra salt and the carbs and electrolytes in the bloks too. I take two after 20 minutes then 1 every 20 minutes thereafter. I also like the honey stinger chews but I only use those in the cold when I don't sweat as much, because they don't have the extra salt.

Some people are fine with just sports drinks for the half distance. It is really individual. I'd definitely echo @Anisum that you want to try them ahead of time. They can be strong in taste and/or texture and you have to find out what works for you.

I like the sport jelly bellies with caffeine. They taste pretty yummy and I have to keep them locked away from my hyper 9 year old. LOL! But, without water they can be hard to chew and get down if you take more than one at a time.

I need them for runs longer than an hour, which is also the general recommendation. I like Clif Shot Blocks with 3x the normal salt, my preference is the margarita flavor. I am a very salty sweater, as in I come home caked in salt after runs. I need the extra salt and the carbs and electrolytes in the bloks too. I take two after 20 minutes then 1 every 20 minutes thereafter. I also like the honey stinger chews but I only use those in the cold when I don't sweat as much, because they don't have the extra salt.

Some people are fine with just sports drinks for the half distance. It is really individual. I'd definitely echo @Anisum that you want to try them ahead of time. They can be strong in taste and/or texture and you have to find out what works for you.
This is what I'm trying to plan. I've started testing stuff on the long runs- I don't carry water with me but I loop around the park and run past my apartment once a loop (about 1.75 miles) so I hid some Gatorade by the door last weekend to take sips at regular intervals to make sure it agrees with me. I thought about trying to add gels or something this weekend and next. I know I can finish the half without the food - I've done two 13+ runs without it- but I feel kinda punky afterwards. So I thought I would try gels or gummies or something Saturday to see how it goes.
The part that is harder to predict is that I'm training in the freezing cold for a race that is going to be in swampy Florida. So even if I have a hydration/fuel plan that works in NY, I probably should be taking more liquid on race day due to sweating a lot more!

I usually consume beans for anything longer than 5miles. I buy the mixed packs and I like the taste of them (except for the fruit punch) so I don't find them unpleasant at all. I haven't tried a lot of different gummies because once I found beans worked for me I didn't want to waste money on things I may not have even liked.

I would say that I would need them for the 1/2 because I usually don't drink Gatorade or powerade so they're my only source of extra fuel. It depends on how you run though. You may be fine without anything (though I don't think that's recommended) or you may need something. Whatever you decided just make sure to try it out before the race because nothing is worse than feeling gross for the last 4.5 miles or so because you decided to try a gel or whatever they're offering.

LOL I literally just ordered a 24-pack of fruit punch Sport Beans this morning on Amazon. I like them, but I know everyone else has their own personal preference. I also like the cherry flavor, too, but I got so sick of those training for the PHM last year, that I wanted to mix it up a bit.

I cannot stand GU Chews - they're too chewy! I always feel like I'm going to choke. And I really don't like gels, they make me gag. I like the Sport Beans because I can pop a few, then reseal the packet and tuck it away till I need some more. I really love the cherry cola flavored Honey Stingers, but I have to be careful, or I'll eat them like candy lol. And don't even get me started on the Honey Stinger waffles. OMG. Those are dessert. I save those for my long runs that are > 1 1/2 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter