Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

Fyi, that picture might be just a placeholder for the new ones they will release....i found the link commented out on the star wars darkside registration page so it could just have been a copy from the disneyland star wars page and may still get updated.

That's what I'm hoping for. I don't even care which resort it is, as long as we get in.

Since I started going to RD races, with multiple races per calendar year (usually 2-3) I hate having to book these rooms so far in advance. I just don't know that far ahead if I will be going alone (which would highly affect my resort preference) or how long a trip I want to take. I really like booking with rented points, but the no refund policy puts a knick in that, and if I DO buy the insurance, it defeats the cost of renting. I have a disney visa and when you book a room only though RD, it still gives you the 6 months no interest, so I like to use that. But it looks like they are dropping resort discounts for the most part so that isn't really budget conscious anymore.

And this doesn't even include calculations on where I will be taking trips next year and my vacation time alottments (travel is a huge passion of mine).

In fact, I have to call today to make my final payment for my W&D hotel!

fyi, this doesn't interest me, but may others: new bags (assuming they are not just the January bags):

http://www.rundisney.com/media/rundisney/star-wars-half-marathon/Starwars-1a.jpg

Starwars-1a.jpg

Sigh. I was really hoping for a new print. These are the same print they have had for awhile it looks like, just in different/new shape of bags.

ETA - for PHM they did a princess print they later re-used, but it was all shades of purple. When they did release it to the general public, they kept the same print but changed the colors so it looks much different. I miss the days when RD dooney's were special.
Not only is this the same print...they have been selling these silhouettes for awhile now in the parks. If they just use these for the race weekend and stick a hangtag on them with the race name, that would be supremely lazy of Disney and Dooney & Bourke.

For the Disneyland Half weekend the bag was very race-specific, with the race distances and names on it - not like this one or the Princess one where you wouldn't know it was for a race except that there was a hangtag saying so. As a result (in my opinion) the Disneyland ones didn't sell out and were available in Downtown Disney afterward. I even saw bags from LAST YEAR'S race weekend still for sale in the parks. So from a business perspective...I get that they want a print that will appeal to more people, non-runners included. As a runner, I agree with @AThrillingChase that they just aren't as special this way. :(
Yeah 300+ would never work! I think we get close to 50 but like I said we pay for our membership and are a licensed group.
Yeah! I thought that was insane!

Not only is this the same print...they have been selling these silhouettes for awhile now in the parks. If they just use these for the race weekend and stick a hangtag on them with the race name, that would be supremely lazy of Disney and Dooney & Bourke.

For the Disneyland Half weekend the bag was very race-specific, with the race distances and names on it - not like this one or the Princess one where you wouldn't know it was for a race except that there was a hangtag saying so. As a result (in my opinion) the Disneyland ones didn't sell out and were available in Downtown Disney afterward. I even saw bags from LAST YEAR'S race weekend still for sale in the parks. So from a business perspective...I get that they want a print that will appeal to more people, non-runners included. As a runner, I agree with @AThrillingChase that they just aren't as special this way.

I would actually be happy if they made less in that case. There was an article on the dis here awhile back complaining about how all the new designs were for rundisney and they wanted new patterns. I commented because I was upset - not every pattern has to be available to everyone. Sometimes things can be limited edition to celebrate an accomplishment!!

I would actually be happy if they made less in that case. There was an article on the dis here awhile back complaining about how all the new designs were for rundisney and they wanted new patterns. I commented because I was upset - not every pattern has to be available to everyone. Sometimes things can be limited edition to celebrate an accomplishment!!
Really?! I think they have been going INSANE releasing new non-race patterns lately! I follow a few Dooney groups on Facebook and it seems like there are 1-2 new ones each month!

I totally agree with you - the race patterns should be special. The new Avengers pattern will almost surely be sold later in the parks, just like last year's was (and still is). :(

Really?! I think they have been going INSANE releasing new non-race patterns lately! I follow a few Dooney groups on Facebook and it seems like there are 1-2 new ones each month!

I totally agree with you - the race patterns should be special. The new Avengers pattern will almost surely be sold later in the parks, just like last year's was (and still is). :(

To be fair, it was just a comment in a larger article about Dooney. But like you, I was taken back. There are a ton of patterns out there in the stores! And what, 4 WDW races per year. Let us have it! I have had one Dooney for years, then I bought the crossbody at PHM because it was my first half distance. I would have liked a SW one for my first challenge. :confused3

To be fair, it was just a comment in a larger article about Dooney. But like you, I was taken back. There are a ton of patterns out there in the stores! And what, 4 WDW races per year. Let us have it! I have had one Dooney for years, then I bought the crossbody at PHM because it was my first half distance. I would have liked a SW one for my first challenge. :confused3
I'm surprised you were able to get the cross body - sounded like things were a mess that weekend! Not having a pre-order option was a HUGE mistake.

I've stayed offsite for some races, and even when I've stayed onsite I usually drive - it's not difficult at all. The key is getting going early enough to avoid traffic. Staying onsite, I leave my resort at the same time the race buses start running. Offsite, I add however much time it takes to get to WDW property. So if buses start at, say, 3am, and it takes me 10 minutes to get from my offsite hotel to WDW, I'll want to leave by 2:50. I know lots of folks cut it closer than that, but I HATE running late and feeling rushed, and I'd much rather hang around a little longer waiting then be freaking out in my car, stuck in traffic.
Thanks for this info! Exactly what I was looking for too. I'm like you and prefer to be early in case something happens.

No announcement, really - just listed on the Travel page: http://www.rundisney.com/travel/disneyworld/

"And when you stay at any Walt Disney World® Resort during Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend – The Dark Side,transportation to all race weekend event is provided."

Awesome - thank you! I kept reading through things on the main race page - I didn't look at the travel page.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. The DH and I are on the countdown until regular registration opens.

I'm surprised you were able to get the cross body - sounded like things were a mess that weekend! Not having a pre-order option was a HUGE mistake.

It was kind of messy - for any SW bags I highly suggest if there is a pre-order everyone go that route that wants them. I happened to be there at the right time and even though hadn't planned on buying one at all, jumped on it. I got one of the last ones. A woman kind of lost it in the line though because a woman had her husband there with her and they each bought the max allotment with this woman being the next in line to get the last bag they took. Man was she yelling and angry - I thought security was about to pop in! haha.

Also FYI for anyone planning - the larger bags went first. The crossbody was next, then the wristlet had the most left.

It was kind of messy - for any SW bags I highly suggest if there is a pre-order everyone go that route that wants them. I happened to be there at the right time and even though hadn't planned on buying one at all, jumped on it. I got one of the last ones. A woman kind of lost it in the line though because a woman had her husband there with her and they each bought the max allotment with this woman being the next in line to get the last bag they took. Man was she yelling and angry - I thought security was about to pop in! haha.

Also FYI for anyone planning - the larger bags went first. The crossbody was next, then the wristlet had the most left.
I totally agree with doing the pre-order if it is offered. In my case for Disneyland, I clearly didn't need it (as there were TONS of bags easily available when I arrived) but at least I knew there was definitely one held for me!

The Dooney groups are already getting people set up to "shop" for others at Avengers weekend - they are those that sell them on eBay are nuts when it comes to getting these bags! I really don't think it's fair to the runners...but when Disney opens up the expos to everyone, what can ya do?

Quick question about reservations. I have a package booked already for that weekend. Is there any difference or advantage to book through rundisney? Are there discounts?

RunDisney offers discounted rooms, although I am not sure if you have to do a ticket and room package or just race and room. We just booked our trip and for our bibs through our RunDisney authorized agent so we don't have to wait in the cue and take a chance at missing the inaugural race. We paid a little more for bibs, but not enough to take a chance on registration tomorrow. This agent said the room discount packages haven't been confirmed, but they have an idea of what they will offer and that was good enough :)

This will be my first time going through runDisney... I've always used an agency before. I know we expect a fairly quick sellout, but how quick is quick? Minutes? Hours?

Best of luck to everyone! :)

FYI, one TA (GoMagicalMiles) said they got their allocation today today and should be able to have enough for their list, I don't know if they will have more but if tomorrow you can't get in then try them as well - they are very awesome.

Go Magical Miles - Contact person is Sarah and she is quick to respond and is quite awesome.
http://www.gomagicalmiles.com/#!blank/c19c6

Acclaim Travel - What can I say? They are superb and I hope to use them or Sarah above for all of my Disney travel.
http://patstonetravel.com/thedarkside.php

Moments of Magic Travel - Noticed that TODAY they updated their website and the links to purchase almost work, but not just yet - they may by tomorrow so check them out too if needed:
http://momentsofmagictravel.com/star-wars-half-marathon-the-dark-side/

Or try your luck tomorrow morning - I'm to scared to do it so hopefully I'll get my registration tonight or in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter