Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

I'm kind of confused. Why close registration, saying it had sold out...only to reopen it again? Has this ever happened before in a runDisney event?

I'm kind of confused. Why close registration, saying it had sold out...only to reopen it again? Has this ever happened before in a runDisney event?

$$$$$$

Or a huge number of people deferred?

Or the charity teams have low turnout?

My guess would be that they received bibs back from someone, most likely charity partners who couldn't fill their allotment. I don't know if they have reopened general registration in the past, but it hasn't been unusual for TAs to get extra bibs as it got closer to race day.

well at first they just opened all the races to people at the expo thursday and early friday, then at some point they opened up for everyone friday night/afternoon. I've seen them open some marathon slots in this same manner but not every race like they did this weekend.

Last edited:
It does seem that a lot of the charities are struggling to sell bibs for many of the races these days. I am sure they also had a number of the deferals .

anyone know how starting and ending at a different location works? are we going to have to bus back to epcot after we finish to get our cars?

I heard that they changed up the course on the half (possibly also the 10K), which is allowing them to increase the number of people out on the course.

anyone know how starting and ending at a different location works? are we going to have to bus back to epcot after we finish to get our cars?

I feel like they'd have you park at the finish point and bus over to the start- not the other way around. If you can swing staying at a host resort, there will be free shuttles to take you to and from the race points.

I'm sure more info will become available as they start releasing info for the Expo.

I was hoping for the reverse W&D too because I never got to do the full distance. It would be like killing two birds with one stone. Someday I won't be grumpy about that half a half.

I'm jumping in this thread! My husband saw the excitement I had of doing princess this weekend and he has agreed to do the Star Wars 10k with me in 2017 as a 20th anniversary present. Does anyone know if shades of green is a host hotel for this race? If not, I may just have to stay at a Disney property and make it a little more expensive vacation.

I've been monitoring this thread for awhile but never written anything. My family and I go to WDW every year but my husband and I are going solo in April to run the half marathon. So excited! Slowly getting over my mom guilt...anyway, I was laying in bed thinking about my Captain Phasma running costume and what I would do with my hair which got me thinking that Disney should hire someone to be at the site of the race for people to get their race hair done. I know it sounds silly but I wanted french braids and I can't do that by myself and my husband certainly can't....

As long as the course isn't changed to the WDW Half/Princess Half Course - that would annoy me
I agree,they promised a unique course ending at WWoS so I doubt they would but you never know,the Epcot to MK course is fine but unique courses for different races is what appeals to me,that's why I feel Wine and Dine is so popular.Looking at the RunDisney site it appears like there's no mention or hint of what the course will be,I'm almost certain they had mentioned the course would be unique so not seeing anything worries me.The 10K does say what the course will be and that looks like it will be the final 10K of the full finishing outside WWoS where mile marker 20 is during the full,I'm pretty excited about this course as that's my favorite part of the full,just in reverse.Please RunDisney,no Epcot to MK and back!!!

I'm jumping in this thread! My husband saw the excitement I had of doing princess this weekend and he has agreed to do the Star Wars 10k with me in 2017 as a 20th anniversary present. Does anyone know if shades of green is a host hotel for this race? If not, I may just have to stay at a Disney property and make it a little more expensive vacation.
I just saw another thread in this same forum about SoG and sounds like if all hotels are host hotels, then this is one too. Otherwise it's an easy walk to the Poly. Jump up a level and see if you can find it.

I just saw another thread in this same forum about SoG and sounds like if all hotels are host hotels, then this is one too. Otherwise it's an easy walk to the Poly. Jump up a level and see if you can find it.
That is plan b. We will have my parents spend the night and bring the kiddo to the finish line so it would be easier for all if they could just hop on the bus out front. They are all easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

I feel like the half medal looked much better in person when I saw it this past weekend! Seeing it got me so pumped up. Now that the princess 10k is out of the way :upsidedow it's time to up my training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter