• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

G. I find that interesting, and quite damning as well.

Several cast members saw our medals and asked how the weekend was, and it seems they had heard all the problems before. We really appreciated that they were reaching out for feedback. But I learned something especially interesting from a cast member who both works and runs the races...

It seems that 18,000 number may be starters, not finishers. There is a significant number of people who self sweep... as in they have no intention of attempting to complete the race, and put themselves on the first bus they see, because they know everyone gets the medal regardless. She was adamant that practice should stop. According to her, it should be a finisher's medal. Period.

At first I thought that was a bit harsh, but the more I thought about it, the more I agree. I get that runDisney is a more generous race, and with the 16:00 requirement is a great introduction to the sport, which is great! If they wanted to be more lax with the medals, they could still award it to people who made a real effort to make it happen, and if they get picked up at mile 11 or 12, I have no problem with that. But if people really are just walking across the line and putting a hand out for their medal, as she claims, I agree that's awful. (If they have to give them something, made it a little participant ribbon or something.)

So what is happening is bibs are being taken up by people who are buying medals, and taking spaces from people who, even if they can barely cut 16:00, are working their butts off to try.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a runner complaining, not a CM (the runner in the CM, I should say). Would I prefer that only finishers get medals? Yes. But when I examine why I feel that way, I can't help but feel petty. My reasons for only wanting finishers to get the same medal that I get are peevish at best, and seem downright selfish. These people followed the rules. It is not a finisher's medal. I just need to get over it.

But, if Disney moved to a finisher's medal, would we really see a bunch of bibs freed up for "more serious" runners? I doubt it. I suspect that most of these people who don't even try had every intention of trying when they signed up. Then life happened and they found the race was upon them and they were totally unprepared. They likely had a family vacation tied to the race, so they had to decide what to do - bag it all, of make the best of a bad situation. Crossing the starting line and getting their medal is, for many, just that - making the best of a bad situation.

Now, I am not saying that no one signs up with no intent to train for these races, but I am suggesting that the number is minuscule.

Hi all! Just wanted to stop in to share some thoughts now that we're home and have caught up on some sleep! Didn't sleep much since we ran the 5K, 10K and half!

Some random GOOD thoughts...
  • The medals are great, including, of course, the Kessel Run medal!!!
  • We also LOVE all the tech shirts that came with registration. Happy to have a long-sleeved set from DL and this short-sleeved set from WDW!
  • Considering that our training was less than stellar due to some health issues, we fared quite well -- I was very pleasantly surprised!
  • Loved seeing all the SW characters along the way... even though we didn't wait in any of the lines, we took a few selfies. :)
  • It might have been my imagination, but it felt like the Expo pickup stuff was better organized than at some other rD races we've done.
  • The ONLY THING I liked about ending at ESPN was having the tiny bit of trail run to distract my tired brain at the end of the race. :)
Some random NOT-SO-GOOD thoughts...
  • WORST THING IN MY BOOK: What the heck is with the corral placements for the 10K?!?!? Didn't seem like there was any rhyme or reason to it -- crazy!!
  • I desperately wanted wine glasses; was at the expo at 12:30 on Thu and a CM said they were gone that morning. Darn. No match for my DL ones now. :(
  • I didn't love the AK section of the race that wound around the parking lot and looped on the way out.
  • As expected, I didn't like ending at ESPN with EVERYONE needing to take a bus. And as I suspected, unless I missed it, they had NOTHING special waiting there for us. I much prefer ending in Epcot parking lot and walking to the park for photos.

HOPE OTHERS HAD A GREAT WEEKEND, TOO!!!!

Next up for us: Wine and Dine 2016!!! Not sure I'll be doing another C2C anytime soon, but had so much fun with this set that I just might... ...

Anybody still waiting for their photos to load onto Photopass? I'm still missing my photos from the Half. Tried calling but wait time was 60 minutes yesterday and 45 today :(

Anybody still waiting for their photos to load onto Photopass? I'm still missing my photos from the Half. Tried calling but wait time was 60 minutes yesterday and 45 today :(

I would say based on those wait times that you are not the only one missing pictures! :-O

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I had a great time at the Dark Side Half. I've done the WDW Half in January five years in a row (love it), two Disneyland Halfs (fun, but not my cup of tea), and the inaugural Tower of Terror 10-miler (hated it). This Half is close to a new favorite.

I had been dreaming of running through World Showcase in the dark with the torches lit up since I heard about the old marathon course. After over a dozen trips to four Disney resorts in three countries, it takes a lot to impress me, but hearing Star Wars music piped in with the lagoon and a beautifully lit World Showcase as the backdrop blew me away. It was otherworldly.

I was in corral F and didn't experience any crowding issues because most people seemed to be running the same pace. I thought the theme came through beautifully in the staging area and the corrals. The first five miles were so exciting, between the theme parks, character sightings, music, lighting, and movie scenes playing on huge screens at the top of inclines to motivate us. I thought Run Disney paid a lot of attention to detail. As for the rest of the course, I fell into step with a fellow runner who I had inadvertently been playing leapfrog with since the gun went off. We decided to settle into comfortable but challenging pace for the remainder of the race. I barely noticed a lack of entertainment because it became about the run. Sure, the sun was in our faces for the last 45 minutes, but that comes with the territory of running outside. I wound up finishing just a minute slower than my time this January.

I didn't mind the lack of merchandise because I arrived Saturday and already knew everything would be gone. The event buses were hit or miss, as usual. There didn't seem to be adequate spacing between expo buses, but that's to be expected. My worst ever wait was the morning of the WDW Half at the Yacht Club in 2012, so I made sure to get on the first bus from All-Star Music to the start this time. I did manage to get pictures with BB-8 and Captain Phasma before heading to the corrals, which was a nice bonus. My only big gripe is the medal -- that thing is a monstrosity. I didn't want to wear it at all because it was so big and heavy. The concept art was much nicer.

I'm glad we got lucky on weather this time, and that I got a chance to run such an awesome course immersed in the Star Wars theme. However, I'm not sure I'll do it again. April is usually too hot for an enjoyable half marathon, and Run Disney is approaching a price point I'm not willing to pay.

I agree with your review (though I love the medal)! I've done a lot of runDisney races and some of them have started to feel repetitive. I thought the half this weekend felt fresh, and I agree that they seemed to have a lot of attention to detail. It seemed so clever to have the large screens at the tops of the inclines to take our minds off of going uphill!

I do think they should just put all of the merchandise online for preorder or something.

Overall I had a great time and am considering the Kessel Run Challenge next year!

One more thing: merchandise. So this has been a problem for years??? Honestly, it's terrible service to the customer and stupidly easy to fix. All they need is a catalog at the expo, so when an item sells out, they can put a sample out and let people order one to be mailed to them later. I don't think people would care about waiting a week or two or more if the alternative is to get nothing. Ridiculous.
Amen to that! I am trying to get over the fact that the few items I really wanted were gone when I got to the expo at 9am on Friday. It is insanity that they can't seem to properly stock their expo shelves when they know good and well what items are most in demand at EVERY run Disney event. It's not that hard :sad2:

• As expected, I didn't like ending at ESPN with EVERYONE needing to take a bus. And as I suspected, unless I missed it, they had NOTHING special waiting there for us. I much prefer ending in Epcot parking lot and walking to the park for photos.
They had photo ops with Boba Fett, Jabba, Darth Vader, Capt Phasma, Stormtroopers, BB8, and a Rathtar (?) around the corner from the finish line. The lines got very long very fast, but between the 10K and the half we got photos with almost everybody. There was also the cheesy DJ there doing his thing.

In the spirit of trying to be positive - we really had a great weekend, geeking out and immersing ourselves in Star Wars. Other than the bus issues after the 10K, we had good bus karma going to and from Saratoga. The weather was amazing, after I had been worrying the entire week that we would be rained on the whole time. I loved the course - crowding wasn't too bad for us in corrals A/B for the 10K/half. Watching scenes from the movies on the course and hearing the music was awesome. I even liked the AK parking lot because there was just the best breeze going thru there, it felt great! I profusely thanked every 501st member we saw and got lots of great pictures. I am more than thrilled that I can get my race pics for free since we have AP's. I love my medals (though isn't a round death star medal an obvious choice for the challenge?? The medal looks more like R2D2's head :rolleyes1). Could there have been a bit more entertainment on the course - most definitely. I was hoping for some Disney Star Wars character meets, like Jedi Mickey and Darth Goofy, but oh well. In the end I'm even happy with my falsely advertised Dooney bag.

What a missed opportunity that they didn't project the Death Star on the Epcot ball - that would have been so cool, and not hard for them to do (I've seen a preview of the Rivers of Light show, if they can do that they can project the darn death star!). Next year Disney - hope you're reading!

Amen to that! I am trying to get over the fact that the few items I really wanted were gone when I got to the expo at 9am on Friday. It is insanity that they can't seem to properly stock their expo shelves when they know good and well what items are most in demand at EVERY run Disney event. It's not that hard :sad2:

They had photo ops with Boba Fett, Jabba, Darth Vader, Capt Phasma, Stormtroopers, BB8, and a Rathtar (?) around the corner from the finish line. The lines got very long very fast, but between the 10K and the half we got photos with almost everybody. There was also the cheesy DJ there doing his thing.

In the spirit of trying to be positive - we really had a great weekend, geeking out and immersing ourselves in Star Wars. Other than the bus issues after the 10K, we had good bus karma going to and from Saratoga. The weather was amazing, after I had been worrying the entire week that we would be rained on the whole time. I loved the course - crowding wasn't too bad for us in corrals A/B for the 10K/half. Watching scenes from the movies on the course and hearing the music was awesome. I even liked the AK parking lot because there was just the best breeze going thru there, it felt great! I profusely thanked every 501st member we saw and got lots of great pictures. I am more than thrilled that I can get my race pics for free since we have AP's. I love my medals (though isn't a round death star medal an obvious choice for the challenge?? The medal looks more like R2D2's head :rolleyes1). Could there have been a bit more entertainment on the course - most definitely. I was hoping for some Disney Star Wars character meets, like Jedi Mickey and Darth Goofy, but oh well. In the end I'm even happy with my falsely advertised Dooney bag.

What a missed opportunity that they didn't project the Death Star on the Epcot ball - that would have been so cool, and not hard for them to do (I've seen a preview of the Rivers of Light show, if they can do that they can project the darn death star!). Next year Disney - hope you're reading!
We definitely enjoyed our weekend!! To be honest, a few M&G didn't seem like much of an offset to the ESPN ending / bus situation, but everything is subjective!! :)

I also have one PhotoPass issue: not sure if already mentioned, but our 5K medal photos have a "10 K I did it" border...??? :-/

Also thought they were kinda light on photographers on the half -- good coverage on the others.

Overall, though, I'd take rD/PP pics over MarathonPhoto ANY DAY!

9. From the kessel runners who came on Friday, they were disappointed at any kessel run commemoratives. (IOW they did not spend money) Turns out, non runners got to the parks soon enough BOUGHT OUT the whole inventory and are now selling it on ebay. (RunDisney may be ok with this but they don't understand about the $100,000 salt and pepper shakers.)
This is VERY TRUE! My sister and I each got a Kessel Run shirt but that was about all they had and we were there by 12:30 on Thu. Not cool. They need more pre-order merch.

p.s. Just realized that I don't have a Kessel pin in my pre-order pin package :(
Yup. Not cool. And none to be had at the expo by Thu at 12:30, at least. :(

I still don't have my finisher medal photos from the half, and neither does my fiance, so you are definitely not the only one.

So I didn't run this race and haven't read any of this thread, so sorry if you already saw this, but there are I did It shirts in the runDisney stuff on the disneystore! Saw it while I debated getting my training shirt. Hope this helps! Says it is there until the 24th.

I still don't have my finisher medal photos from the half, and neither does my fiance, so you are definitely not the only one.

My finisher medal photo is also missing from my photo pass pictures. Hoping it will turn up eventually.

• I desperately wanted wine glasses; was at the expo at 12:30 on Thu and a CM said they were gone that morning. Darn. No match for my DL ones now. :(
  • I read elsewhere they didn't have Star Wars wine glasses at all as they didn't even make them.

You can send an email too with description of what you wearing, bib number and any other info and they will look for them. I've read elsewhere all photos have been uploaded and tagged. They really need an unidentified link to go through them, my parents have enough from the 5k & 10k at least but wonder if there's any others.

• I read elsewhere they didn't have Star Wars wine glasses at all as they didn't even make them.
Ah ha!! Somehow I feel better that they were never made!! Odd that a CM told me they sold out, though he may have just had it confused with another item.

Odd that they wouldn't make them for Dark Side when they DID have them for Light Side...?? :(

Ah ha!! Somehow I feel better that they were never made!! Odd that a CM told me they sold out, though he may have just had it confused with another item.

Odd that they wouldn't make them for Dark Side when they DID have them for Light Side...?? :(
If it makes you feel better I haven't seen any on ebay yet. I generally like to look to see how much people are upcharging them for to make me feel better about the price I paid.

The only wine glasses I saw at the expo were the generic Run Disney glasses. This was around 10 or 10:30 Thursday morning.

If it makes you feel better I haven't seen any on ebay yet. I generally like to look to see how much people are upcharging them for to make me feel better about the price I paid.
I SO get this!! :)

The only wine glasses I saw at the expo were the generic Run Disney glasses. This was around 10 or 10:30 Thursday morning.
I did see those as well... oh, well... Maybe they'll make wine & dine ones... :)

I have never heard that people start the races just for the medals and get swept at the first stop. Hopefully this doesnt come off as too harsh, thats not my intentions, but if that is true thats pretty sad and a pretty expensive price point to pay for a medal. Maybe its because im a former athlete but I would not even want the medal if I couldnt complete the race because I would be so disappointed in myself. I guess im just a little different than some.

This was my first half marathon, and while I didnt have the best day, I am extremely proud to show off the medal as a race finisher. I treat it as more of a testament to my hard work rather than a souvenir.

I have never heard that people start the races just for the medals and get swept at the first stop. Hopefully this doesnt come off as too harsh, thats not my intentions, but if that is true thats pretty sad and a pretty expensive price point to pay for a medal.
Perhaps not if one is local and sells on eBay. I saw a full set of medals listed there yesterday for $1,100.

I don't understand it, personally, but there you have it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter