******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have stayed off site before and honestly with planning it isn't all that bad - especially when you factor the bed and room is much nicer for a cheaper price. I stay at Hilton and earn points plus can walk over to DS they have buses same as on site the only draw back is fp booking is only 30 days and now they don't participate in emh - when I stayed last they still did. But if you plan for it it's totally doable and honestly I rather get my Disney fix and save money then risk over spending or possibly not going at all
Staying off site is a no go for us.

And you need to factor parking when crushing numbers. The difference between the upgrade from QS to the standard DDP is almost the same as parking for the parks.

Well, looks like no FD for me. But that means a stay at Deluxe instead!

Basically, I assume the rumors are correct and that I'd need to upgrade to DDP at CS because we definitely do one TS a day while on vacation. And assuming tickets are the same either way. Here are my options.

Coronado - 6 nights, 4 adults, upgrade to DDP (and assuming I can get a standard view room, which I know may not be easy!)

or

Beach Club - 6 nights, 4 adults, no dining plan.

Coronado actually comes out to $659 more than Beach Club. I figure using my Disney Visa discounts and pre-buying discounted gift cards, I can make that $659 go pretty far towards OOP dining. AND we get a much better resort! We're still going to eat where we want, whatever we want. But I see us doing more snacking, less desserts, more water, less soda, etc. And that's how we normally eat anyway! It will be interesting because we've never gone without the FD but I'm kind of looking forward to the experiment!

It's definitely less desirable for fd, especially if you're a family of four with two kids who are Disney adults. I just randomly priced out some RR, which are the most likely rooms available for fd at POR. The price with taxes in September for a rack rate room are well over $300 per night. Add on an additional $84 to upgrade to TS and we're easily above $400 per night. If you're willing to do that, you might as well look at Deluxe.
Does POR allow 5 to a room? If people have to get two rooms at a value, it may still be worth it to get FD...I don't know.

So, after crunching the numbers it looks like we may be priced out :( I'm trying to stay at no more than $3k for the trip since that's all we can afford. It's really unfortunate that Disney is becoming completely unaffordable. We'd love to take our kids back while they're still young and enthralled with the characters, etc.

It think 3k is definitly a workable budget-since that was my budget as well. Granted my family is small -1 parent 1 child- but I booked a POFQ standard room for 6 nights, 6 day tix, and the DDP and added on one night at All star Music with no dining plan since we are arrive so late that night we couldnt use it anyway and the grand total including trip insurance was 3,100.

If you could stay at a value hotel, pay out of pocket for meals and be thrifty about it, and only purchase the tickets you need-even less perhaps and a a pool day or 2- then I dont see why 3,000 wouldnt be enough.

Try calling a TA (I have really enjoyed working with my Dreams TA) and tell them your budget have have them tell you what trip you can get for that.

Now that news is out I feel more stressed somehow - all of my December options fit and now I am not sure which to go with.

Would love people's opinions on which dates in December seem best for those I can travel during. Earliest I can arrive is Friday the 8th and latest departure would be Tuesday the 19th. I initially planned a 6 night but part of me is going to try for 7 nights (news of a bonus at work this year and turning 35 wants me to treat myself) My initial plan was arrive the 8th return the 14th or 15th. Only real problem with that is Pop Warner is there until 9th so not sure that would increase crowds my first day or two.

Totally appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback - I know we have TONS of experts reading. :thanks:
My plan was pretty much the same. Leaving here on December 8th and coming back the 17th. Pop Warner might make a bit of a difference. We were there in February during all the cheer competitions. It impacted the parks later in the day. Lots and lots of teens. But it was only for a couple of days. It really didn't bother us.

I have literally given myself a headache running all these different scenarios. Feeling a bit better since I put my reading glasses on (keep forgetting I need the stupid things :rolleyes:).

If there is only quick service at the mods, what makes the most sense financially for us is to move offsite to Bonnet Creek. However... as much as I LOVE Bonnet Creek I was sad about that for a few reasons. A) I was really looking forward to being able to book fast passes at 60 days out as I think that's going to be a huge advantage for the Pandora attractions, not to mention FEA (which we haven't ridden yet). And B) I very carefully selected our dining reservations and I would hate to lose them.

So we decided we will do room only at a value for the first two nights, and that not only fixes the fast pass issue, it gets us the new Magic Bands and gets me my onsite fix. Just when we are about to go crazy being in one small room together.. off to Bonnet Creek we will go.
We've also decided to keep our favourite reservations and pad the dining budget to reflect that. It still saves us a ton over free dining becasue we have tickets already. It will be less meals at Disney TS but we will keep Ohana and BOG and a few others.

Not only can I live with this plan, I actually feel excited about it!:sunny:
Great Plan! You could also look at the BB offers for next year before you leave, may be an advantage there.

I'm sorry but you'r wrong. I've seen the official information as I have friends working for Brazilian agencies and POR is indeed excluded.

According to info published by a Brazillian TA it POR is not excluded only POFQ. I dont have the link to the website who posted the info but its in this thread somewhere. I read through the exclusions carefully and POR is not listed so wither one TA is wrong or the other is.

Sorry if this was already covered but if free dining is going to drop when will know? If it normally starts on a Monday when in the week will we officially hear?

Wondering if anyone would be willing to share their spreadsheet for budget planning? I realize I could make one...but so many people have posted about them, figured I'd ask here first :thumbsup2

FWIW, I've been pricing our stay on the DW booking page, and for our family of five, it's looking like a RO discount at a deluxe might be a better deal than FD. We don't get PH as we have younger kids, and with a 20% room discount, and ticket discount....I think we may not need FD. Of course, I will be checking my numbers, because if there is not a RO discount that comes out with FD, then my deal is not so good.

I have tried to look back and see details, but there are so many posts! Haha! Is this rumor being confirmed by multiple chatters or is it speculated based on South American offer? thanks

So maybe - having the reservation at POP already for 8/22-9/1 will make it easier to snag free dining as a modification to reservation online on the FD drop date .
I was thinking that I may need a new reservation the day fd is available . But pop seems pretty full already for the end of August when I play with the dates online.
If QS is option for moderates , POP will be next best choice .
I was getting nervous that there would be no way to reserve a new room and cancel original reservation. Now I am thinking maybe it's a good thing I reserved already and can modify online when it is officially announced. Just a thought . And a wish
A room at POP must be available for FD in your category, it is considered a new reservation. Just because you already have a room there does not give you a leg up. Just an FYI.

Well, looks like no FD for me. But that means a stay at Deluxe instead!

Basically, I assume the rumors are correct and that I'd need to upgrade to DDP at CS because we definitely do one TS a day while on vacation. And assuming tickets are the same either way. Here are my options.

Coronado - 6 nights, 4 adults, upgrade to DDP (and assuming I can get a standard view room, which I know may not be easy!)

or

Beach Club - 6 nights, 4 adults, no dining plan.

Coronado actually comes out to $659 more than Beach Club. I figure using my Disney Visa discounts and pre-buying discounted gift cards, I can make that $659 go pretty far towards OOP dining. AND we get a much better resort! We're still going to eat where we want, whatever we want. But I see us doing more snacking, less desserts, more water, less soda, etc. And that's how we normally eat anyway! It will be interesting because we've never gone without the FD but I'm kind of looking forward to the experiment!

did you figure in a RO discount for the BC too? good chance there will be a RO for Fall too, no rumors yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter