• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can save alot of walking. I am pretty sure the everything POP thread has specifics/ tips. Some of those outer 90s and 50s rooms are out there. For some types a long hike others not. In 100 degree heat can be far.
We will be there mid September. Just curious, can you request certain buildings? Of course, I know there is no guarantee that you will get them. If so, does anyone have recommendation for buildings in Pop standards that are close to dining and transportation. Thx

Can I ask why people are all about POP? If I had to stay value I would probably be more interested in AoA, but everyone here seems to be prioritizing POP?
We have stayed at WL, POR, and POP. POP is the one we return to. Buses are great (no sharing with other resorts), every room is 'close' to the main building, and if there is a long wait for a bus after park closing, you can jump on an AOA bus and just walk across the bridge. Moderates and Deluxes involve too much walking for transportation and to the dining locations. We request the same era each year and are always given what we request near a pool and laundry which is important to us because we stay 10-14 days each trip.

There are a lot of people who get the free dining every year, but have APs or the first time they got it they had an AP or non-expiring tickets. So they're caught in a loop of having to buy new tickets, but not needing them, so they hang onto them and use them for their next trip. A 2-day park hopper is still quite a bit cheaper than a 4-day PH or PH+, so less money sitting around in a drawer waiting to be used.

I'm not understanding how free dining with a 4 day park hopper required would be worth it for someone with APs. Esp. If going to a QS only deal. Maybe if staying many nights?

We will be there mid September. Just curious, can you request certain buildings? Of course, I know there is no guarantee that you will get them. If so, does anyone have recommendation for buildings in Pop standards that are close to dining and transportation. Thx
People do request sections. I recommend you hang out at the POP thread on the resort board. They have the experts there and can give great tips. Some people prefer outer rooms if they have a car as you can park closer to blgs on the outer edges. POP has favorite blgs for all reasons. I'd link that thread but dont know how.

Hi All! I know this question has been asked 1000 times but any info on if and when free dining will be released? We are headed down in Sept and staying at CBR. TIA for your help!

I'm not understanding how free dining with a 4 day park hopper required would be worth it for someone with APs. Esp. If going to a QS only deal. Maybe if staying many nights?

They get the FD package and use their AP for tickets and save the required tickets to use toward next year's AP or tickets for a future use. OR, sometimes one person in the party has an AP, but the rest of them don't, so FD is still a good deal, and the one with the AP can save their ticket.

That is why many are hoping it really is still just the 2-day, not the 4-day as that is a much less cash outlay IF this is what they're doing.

:offtopic: Another "while we wait" question: Does anyone know about how much an Uber or taxi would be to the Give Kids the World resort? We are interested in volunteering during our stay. Thanks!

Hi All! I know this question has been asked 1000 times but any info on if and when free dining will be released? We are headed down in Sept and staying at CBR. TIA for your help!

Latest rumor is it's coming out next Monday, the 24th.

When we stayed at POP we requested rooms, but upon check in weren't given our choice, which was totally fine, we were just happy to be there. DH mentioned to the CM how excited I was to be staying at POP and we couldn't wait to get our picture with Baloo since he's one of my favorite characters. She said "Oh, well since Baloo is your favorite, how about we upgrade you to a preferred room in his building??" My face just lit up - it was so awesome! We haven't made it back to POP since, but it was a great time and the dedicated bus was SOOOO nice!

They get the FD package and use their AP for tickets and save the required tickets to use toward next year's AP or tickets for a future use. OR, sometimes one person in the party has an AP, but the rest of them don't, so FD is still a good deal, and the one with the AP can save their ticket.

That is why many are hoping it really is still just the 2-day, not the 4-day as that is a much less cash outlay IF this is what they're doing.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize you could save the new tickets. Now I see.

We enjoy QS at Pop. Free food just can't be beat for a family of four. We don't pay oop for restaurants. It's a great savings. We'll just save our four day tickets for another time and upgrade them to either ten day passes or new AP's.

Thank you. This is what 4 hours of broken sleep does. I'm like I know it I just can't get to it in this brain.

So of course, since I'm brain dead I passed some time creating a spreadsheet. I'm sure everyone has already worked their numbers but if anyone needs to do any comparisons I got a cool sheet going. Still testing it so anyone want to practice? lol.

SO....y'all realize that this time next week, we could all have FREE DINING!! :jumping1:

At least the madness will have ended (as far as worrying about FD) and life can go back to just making plans/packing/etc. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

I have a logistics question on how I should attack this on Monday. I am currently holding a reservation at SSR & it will be my backup in case I don't get FD. Because we are going whether we get it or not.
BUT I do NOT have a change/modify button at all. :sad: So I see this happening one of two ways. Please let me know what you believe to be the way I should go:

1- I make a new FD reservation online on Monday, then call to make any changes/upgrades after it's died down. Yes, I do realize by doing this I'll have to do another $200 dep.

2- I take my chances and wait until 7am EST to call, hoping there will be something available for my dates.

I really hate there is no way to make changes to my res online. It just complicates things (in my mind).
I just want this to go smoothly...for me, for us all.

Last edited:
Thank you. This is what 4 hours of broken sleep does. I'm like I know it I just can't get to it in this brain.

So of course, since I'm brain dead I passed some time creating a spreadsheet. I'm sure everyone has already worked their numbers but if anyone needs to do any comparisons I got a cool sheet going. Still testing it so anyone want to practice? lol.

Sure, I'd love to play around!!

Sure, I'd love to play around!!

Okay so here are the details I need and it will give a comparison list. Only give me numbers that could be a possibility. It compares offsite but if that isn't an option for you don't include it.

Resort Rack Rate per night (include tax if you want to)-
# Disney Adults -
# Disney Kids -
Number of nights -
Ticket cost -
Park hopper/plus cost -
Room discount % -
Offsite room amount -
Food OOP amount -

So if I input that it will automatically give us the different costs for different scenarios. I want to see if there are other scenarios that would be good to include.

Question about space in a value's room...
Since my kids became older teenagers we have only done mods because we need the larger beds. My son is over 6' and my daughter is 5'8". They won't share a double bed and I wouldn't expect them to. That's our only reason for going mod. We spend no time in our room except to sleep. So my question is- Is there space anywhere in a value room for a twin sized blow up mattress? We would inflate/deflate each day so I'm not really concerned if it's against policy because it would never be seen by staff. The dates we're looking at have shown no availability at a mod for weeks now and with the possibility of QS only anyway definitely thinking it's not worth it.

I just want someone who knows Disney better than myself to help me out. So I am currently planning my honeymoon for August 30th-september 6th. Someone gifted us the last 3 days of our stay with their DVC points and someone else gave us 1,100 to put towards the rest of the trip. We were hoping to stay in WL or AK and qualify for free dining for the 4 days prior to our DVC days but I see that everyone is saying it will require 4 day park hoppers. Well someone else gifted us three days of non park hopper passes that we can't add days to or upgrade because we can't go there in person. So is it worth it for us to try and fight for free dining to have 7 days worth of tickets but only four days of dining? How does it work with split stays? Would it flow over to the DVC reservation? Please help! AHH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter