Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

I notice on the site that it says I must have a signed waiver to pick up her bib. I signed a waiver at time of registration but the site says waivers are available two weeks out. I can’t find any of this. The site seems very unclear to me. I’m new to all this and it’s tpugh to navigate.

I notice on the site that it says I must have a signed waiver to pick up her bib. I signed a waiver at time of registration but the site says waivers are available two weeks out. I can’t find any of this. The site seems very unclear to me. I’m new to all this and it’s tpugh to navigate.

You can go to the site and downlaod a waiver in advance and sign it or when you get there there are places to print one out and sign it on-site. I normally just sign it there.

You don’t get the waiver through Active. The link is on the RunDisney.com site under the Runner Info tab for the event. This link might take you straight to the waiver and let you skip RunDisney:

https://www.trackshackresults.com/disneysports/waivers/WvRSWds18/verify.php

You should have pretty clear sailing from Corral B. The smaller size of the earlier corrals helps to open things up along with the higher proportion of faster runners. There will be some slower runners and walkers regardless of which corral you’re in due to a variety of reasons (injury, slower for challenge, corral jumping, PoT fraud, et al). It shouldn’t be a big impact up in B, though.

I’ve been in B or C for my previous runs and even there I have had to negotiate around picture takers and walking groups three or four abreast. But, it’s do-able and I assume the silliness factor increases the further back you get. Starting pretty far forward, it probably won’t cost you more than a minute off your time, but if you’re competing for something like a masters award, every minute counts.

I will be in corral C for this one (like you, I had a better qualifying time in the Virginia Beach Shamrock Half last month). I think I’ll take my finisher certificate to the resolutions desk and see if I can move up.

Good advice Dogface6. Do you think you will have same issues if you start in an earlier corral? Some of my friends told me they had issues with runners in their way more interested in taking selfies and photos than running the race (which I’m fine with as long as they don’t impede runners that don’t), which was more of a problem in later corrals. In corral B so hope this would be less of issue (could have been in coral A based on last two recent HM results but didn’t have these when registered for race in December or January). Planning on enjoying the sites along the way but not taking pictures except pre and post race. Did you have any issues with the start within your corral or was it pretty smooth with runners spreading out quickly at their own desired paces?
I was in C last year, first wave and had no crowding issues for the most part finishing. I stopped for 2 pictures as well & it was easy to merge back on to the course without traffic jams. There were of course people going slower especially the first mile but enough openings it was easy to get around them. Sometimes water stops can get a little dicey with people grabbing cups and not checking before going back to the middle, a couple half trips I saw & encountered. If you want to get a quick start out of your corral I would recommend being near the very front of the corral to already be ahead of anyone injured going slower, wanting to take it easy or who really shouldn't be in that corral in the first place. May the force be with you!

Good advice Dogface6. Do you think you will have same issues if you start in an earlier corral? Some of my friends told me they had issues with runners in their way more interested in taking selfies and photos than running the race (which I’m fine with as long as they don’t impede runners that don’t), which was more of a problem in later corrals. In corral B so hope this would be less of issue (could have been in coral A based on last two recent HM results but didn’t have these when registered for race in December or January). Planning on enjoying the sites along the way but not taking pictures except pre and post race. Did you have any issues with the start within your corral or was it pretty smooth with runners spreading out quickly at their own desired paces?

Good to see you've made your way to the boards (Blaser from Strava)! You shouldn't have much to worry about. From time to time the course will get more congested, but that happens for pretty much everyone at one point or another. Stick to the tangents, relax, and if you've got to slow down for a bit don't stress. Save the energy and worry for the race. Run your race and you can do as well as you'd like to. The Disney roads are quite large for many of the courses they use. So sticking to the tangents will save you minutes off your final time (much more than slowing for a bit here and there) if that is a goal.

For the 5k you get placed based on the estimated pace you entered at registration. It has nothing to do with when you registered.
Yeah I was going to say, my bib # for the 5k is 42xxx and I entered a 9:00-10:00/mi pace time. I doubt that would be in the third or fourth corral. I think I entered the same time for last year's 5k and was placed in Corral A.

The weather in Orlando recently has been HOT and humid in the mornings. I stumbled upon this site and it's a really good tool to adjust your time based on the heat. I'd love to run the half marathon at my goal 8:50/mile pace, but after doing a 6 mile tempo run yesterday in 75 degree weather, I've realized that will be pretty difficult.

https://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/temperature-calculator/

@DopeyBadger - thoughts on this? Have you ever used this before?

Another newbie question for you rundisney vets- how many runners are in each corral for the half marathon? Just trying to get a sense of how many people will be around (I assume a lot). They do waves for corrals in 2 min intervals or something else? Thanks
It varies by corral - you can see the actual numbers on the corral charts:
Challenge corrals
Half corrals
Just add up how many per corral in the half and challenge and you get the total per corral. You'll see that the early corrals have far fewer per corral, while F has around 30% of the field in it. Bigger corrals have more wave starts, while smaller corrals have fewer. 2ish minutes between waves is about right. Figure 1 hour total for all waves/corrals to go.

Yikes - 10,000 people in a RunDisney 5K? #Nope
Yep, it's been like that for years, now. But PHM seemed to be more - I've heard closer to 15,000 each for the 5K and 10K.

The weather in Orlando recently has been HOT and humid in the mornings.
I'm not in Orlando - I'm on the Gulf coast, about 100 miles due west of WDW. I would call our current weather "hot" for anyone who doesn't live here: yesterday I started at sunrise and it was 68* and 99% humidity, rising to 75* and 70% humidity later in my run. For we Floridians, this is nothing at all compared to what's to come in another month or so, so I'm enjoying the "cooler" weather while I can! :)

Forecast are holding steady on lower humidity... that will be key for comfort... I'll take what they are showing for sure! 9 days! But whose counting right?

The weather in Orlando recently has been HOT and humid in the mornings. I stumbled upon this site and it's a really good tool to adjust your time based on the heat. I'd love to run the half marathon at my goal 8:50/mile pace, but after doing a 6 mile tempo run yesterday in 75 degree weather, I've realized that will be pretty difficult.

https://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/temperature-calculator/

@DopeyBadger - thoughts on this? Have you ever used this before?

My preference is to use a combinatorial tool that uses temperature and dew point. It looks like the runners connect calculator also takes this into account, but its adjustment is much larger than the one I use:

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 9.40.13 AM.png

Add Temperature and Dew Point together (T+D). Adjust pace based on the % listed underneath the T+D range. This adjustment is based on the average person's experience. Being heat acclimated, where you train normally vs where you're racing (in terms of T+D) can influence these numbers. When I'm home in WI, I generally don't need an adjustment when in the middle of summer at less than a T+D of 135. At the beginning of the summer (when not heat acclimated), I need adjustments starting at 100.

For example, if your ideal temperature current fitness HM pace was an 8:50 min/mile.
It was a Temperature of 75 with a Humidity of 70% (60 Dew point, use this calc (LINK)), then the T+D is 135.
The adjusted 8:50 pace would be a 9:03 min/mile.

I always advise trying to start slower than this pace and work your way up to it. See how the effort feels in relation to similarly paced runs under ideal conditions. The cautious approach almost always wins out in cases of high heat.

Word of advice to most, with the race being two weeks out, and most starting their taper, this is the perfect time to start heat acclimating if you aren't training in a T+D of 135+. Pay less attention to the pace of your runs (read, go slower) and overdress for your current conditions. Here in WI, it's less than 30 degrees today. If I were preparing to run DS, I would start wearing double leggings, double tops, jackets, heavy gloves, hats, etc. All in an effort to force my body to adapt to hotter/humid conditions. Create a micro-climate around your body to force it to adapt to thinning the blood and increasing sweat production. Just be mindful that if you do decide to heat acclimate like this - cut your cool down way down (because you'll be sweating and could get the chills) and make sure you drink plenty of water/electrolytes since you'll be sweating more than a normal cold day. Research shows it takes about 14 days or 10 workouts to be acclimated to a hotter condition. So best to start now, then waiting to start with a few days prior to the event. I've used this strategy for several WI winter (see -50 degree wind chill) to Dopey Challenge races (as high as T+D 143), and have done quite well being heat acclimated.

I'm not in Orlando - I'm on the Gulf coast, about 100 miles due west of WDW. I would call our current weather "hot" for anyone who doesn't live here: yesterday I started at sunrise and it was 68* and 99% humidity, rising to 75* and 70% humidity later in my run. For we Floridians, this is nothing at all compared to what's to come in another month or so, so I'm enjoying the "cooler" weather while I can! :)
In Orlando it was 75 degrees and 80% humidity at 10am yesterday. It may have felt hotter since I was doing a harder run and also that's probably the hottest weather I've run in since October so I'm not that used to it. Maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin, but you're right in saying this is nothing compared to what's yet to come.

In Orlando it was 75 degrees and 80% humidity at 10am yesterday. It may have felt hotter since I was doing a harder run and also that's probably the hottest weather I've run in since October so I'm not that used to it. Maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin, but you're right in saying this is nothing compared to what's yet to come.

Yeah, this is one of my bigger worries. I live in Indy. We haven't had anything resembling Spring so far. Snowing this morning in fact. The temps later in the week are supposed to climb into the 60s. I'm hoping it stays that way until I leave next Wednesday, so I can start acclimating to warmer temps. I've tried to keep my blood thinner throughout Winter by letting my hair grow out. I haven't cut it in months, and I usually have it buzzed pretty tight. It seems to have worked pretty well because I have felt colder this Winter than I have in years. accuweather.com is predicting a morning temp of 70 for the half with very high humidity. That's still 2 weeks out, but accuweather is fairly accurate even that far out. Guess I won't be hitting a PR unless a cool front comes through. I have started running in more clothes too.

The humidity will be an adjustment for me, but I have changed my run times to be midday or late afternoon to get as much of the heat acclimatization as I can. Helps that we are forecast to break 100 this Wednesday.

overdress for your current conditions.

Oh man, this is a good idea. I busted out the tank tops for my runs yesterday and today, but I think I’ll go back to long sleeves and tights with this in mind. Where we live here in SoCal will be low 90s for the high the next couple of days, but our nights cool down more than Orlando.

My preference is to use a combinatorial tool that uses temperature and dew point. It looks like the runners connect calculator also takes this into account, but its adjustment is much larger than the one I use:

View attachment 315102

Add Temperature and Dew Point together (T+D). Adjust pace based on the % listed underneath the T+D range. This adjustment is based on the average person's experience. Being heat acclimated, where you train normally vs where you're racing (in terms of T+D) can influence these numbers. When I'm home in WI, I generally don't need an adjustment when in the middle of summer at less than a T+D of 135. At the beginning of the summer (when not heat acclimated), I need adjustments starting at 100.

For example, if your ideal temperature current fitness HM pace was an 8:50 min/mile.
It was a Temperature of 75 with a Humidity of 70% (60 Dew point, use this calc (LINK)), then the T+D is 135.
The adjusted 8:50 pace would be a 9:03 min/mile.

I always advise trying to start slower than this pace and work your way up to it. See how the effort feels in relation to similarly paced runs under ideal conditions. The cautious approach almost always wins out in cases of high heat.

Word of advice to most, with the race being two weeks out, and most starting their taper, this is the perfect time to start heat acclimating if you aren't training in a T+D of 135+. Pay less attention to the pace of your runs (read, go slower) and overdress for your current conditions. Here in WI, it's less than 30 degrees today. If I were preparing to run DS, I would start wearing double leggings, double tops, jackets, heavy gloves, hats, etc. All in an effort to force my body to adapt to hotter/humid conditions. Create a micro-climate around your body to force it to adapt to thinning the blood and increasing sweat production. Just be mindful that if you do decide to heat acclimate like this - cut your cool down way down (because you'll be sweating and could get the chills) and make sure you drink plenty of water/electrolytes since you'll be sweating more than a normal cold day. Research shows it takes about 14 days or 10 workouts to be acclimated to a hotter condition. So best to start now, then waiting to start with a few days prior to the event. I've used this strategy for several WI winter (see -50 degree wind chill) to Dopey Challenge races (as high as T+D 143), and have done quite well being heat acclimated.
Great description. I think these tips will be extremely useful for DS weekend for a lot of runners. Now, let's hope for decent temperatures for next weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter