Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

No, 2018. Again, definitely all relative. :) I was fairly bundled up for the Full this past January. I wore my throwaway gloves, but they stayed on for the entire marathon as well as my fleece headband. Maybe perfect for some, but after completing the Dopey Challenge I was done with the cold!
Ah, yeah I suppose it's all relative. I personally love running in the low 50's. I bet after the previous 3 race days you were just ready to be done lol.

Hi All, I don't post often, mostly lurk but after reading so many comments on hydrating I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I live in Orlando and training in this type of humidity is exhausting. I started using salt tabs and they have been a game changer for me! I take one at the beginning of my run and then another one about 30-45 minutes into it. I do not drink sports drink such as Gatorade of Nuun so for me, these have been very beneficial in replacing electrolytes I'm losing while running. Of course you don't want to try anything new before a race but if your concerned, it may be something to look into.

Hi All, I don't post often, mostly lurk but after reading so many comments on hydrating I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I live in Orlando and training in this type of humidity is exhausting. I started using salt tabs and they have been a game changer for me! I take one at the beginning of my run and then another one about 30-45 minutes into it. I do not drink sports drink such as Gatorade of Nuun so for me, these have been very beneficial in replacing electrolytes I'm losing while running. Of course you don't want to try anything new before a race but if your concerned, it may be something to look into.
Interesting! I have heard great things about salt tabs. I think my local running store has some. I might try them on my last few runs to see how I do.

Interesting! I have heard great things about salt tabs. I think my local running store has some. I might try them on my last few runs to see how I do.
Like I said, game changer for me. I could tell an immediate difference. I was not nearly as fatigued and no cramping, which I had experienced quite a bit on my longer runs previously. I do not take the ones with Caffeine though. Basically does exactly what Gatorade or Nuun does for your body but in tablet form with less sugar :-)

I don't care how Disney wants to spin it...that is the farthest thing from Magical. Ugh!!! So sorry that happened to you!
Looks like we may have crossed paths along the way. I also did the 2016 Dumbo and will do the Space Coast this year. Since it appears you may be from Ohio... I will be in Cleveland in August for the Hofbrauhaus Half. Originally from the Cleveland area, but now a Virginian.

My hottest race was probably the 2015 Navy 10 Nautical Miler. At 6AM for the start it was 80 degrees with 80% humidity, and the temp hit 91 that afternoon. Absolutely miserable
10k while stationed in Saudi Arabia in 2010. Temperature was 110, but fortunately the humidity was probably in the negative numbers.

South La on the coast here and the humidity is brutal. Pickle juice has become my miracle. And it’s nasty!!!! But it works. I do one shot before and one shot during. Sometimes one after. But I haven’t had the first post-run headache since I started chugging it. Ugh

Wow, what a brutal experience and insane that a rD race ran out of water!!!:scared::eek: I can't even remember much about our experience except just being so incredibly relieved when we finished. Plus being beyond soaked. :crazy2:
Precisely why I believe that bringing your own water/electrolyte beverage to a race puts the race experience you hoped to have at risk, potentially terrible risk. While we cannot control the weather, we can control our preparation for the weather including hydration and what we're wearing. In other words, I do not advise wearing the full Chewbacca costume for a race.

Precisely why I believe that bringing your own water/electrolyte beverage to a race puts the race experience you hoped to have at risk, potentially terrible risk. While we cannot control the weather, we can control our preparation for the weather including hydration and what we're wearing. In other words, I do not advise wearing the full Chewbacca costume for a race.

Someone still will.

Love reading all the concerns about heat coming from north for an April race. 3rd year of darkside challenge for me, heat doesn't affect me too much - lucky. Plan this year is too not go from bar to hotel to start line :tongue: that was lots of fun but boy did it make the race tough. Of course, learning from the 10k, we got home from bars at 11pm for a quick nap before the half, truly a bad idea, chaffing like never before :sad: but tons of good memories.
Best was bartender at the Lava Lounge buying us a round when he saw us again on Saturday night after closing the place on Friday. :drinking1

Modified all planned outfits to shorts and paint on tops :jumping1:

See you all soon - may the force be with you. :darth:

Love reading all the concerns about heat coming from north for an April race. 3rd year of darkside challenge for me, heat doesn't affect me too much - lucky. Plan this year is too not go from bar to hotel to start line :tongue: that was lots of fun but boy did it make the race tough. Of course, learning from the 10k, we got home from bars at 11pm for a quick nap before the half, truly a bad idea, chaffing like never before :sad: but tons of good memories.
Best was bartender at the Lava Lounge buying us a round when he saw us again on Saturday night after closing the place on Friday. :drinking1

Modified all planned outfits to shorts and paint on tops :jumping1:

See you all soon - may the force be with you. :darth:

One should only do 5ks hungover.

I still remember the feeling of sweating alcohol at the Wine & Dine 5k in 2015 the morning after a wine dinner where I had many many glasses.

Race "costumes" planned.

5K: Yoda training BYU to play better in football and basketball and win more games.
10K: Jedi Prince Phillip. A friend is working on the cape that will read "Once Upon a Dream in a Galaxy Far, Far Away. . . ."
Half: Darth Vader something or other, possibly Goofy is I decided I actually want to buy and then run in a Goofy hat. Under Armour had the Darth Vader tech shirt on sale so I got it.

My daughter is expected to run the race in about two hours, ten minutes. When we registered her, we were way off with our completion time estimate. As a result, she’s in coral G. I’ve emailed Track Shack requesting a corral reassignment, but am not holding my breath.

Anyone have any pointers for dealing with a late corral? How does she get ahead of the crowd? She’s looking to run a fast race, hoping for an age group award.

Like I said, game changer for me. I could tell an immediate difference. I was not nearly as fatigued and no cramping, which I had experienced quite a bit on my longer runs previously. I do not take the ones with Caffeine though. Basically does exactly what Gatorade or Nuun does for your body but in tablet form with less sugar :-)
Something else you might want to try is Tailwind. I am an extremely heavy sweater and that has been the only thing that works for me. Salt tabs did not work for me at all. I mix my Tailwind with Gatorade and it works fine.

My daughter is expected to run the race in about two hours, ten minutes. When we registered her, we were way off with our completion time estimate. As a result, she’s in coral G. I’ve emailed Track Shack requesting a corral reassignment, but am not holding my breath.

Anyone have any pointers for dealing with a late corral? How does she get ahead of the crowd? She’s looking to run a fast race, hoping for an age group award.
Granted I haven’t started that far back before, but I have PR’d from a middle-ish Corral. But here are my recommendations:
Get to the corral early.
Start as close to the front of the corral as possible.
Run the tangents as close as she can.
Don’t weave around people too much.

I think she should still have a decent chance of running a good race, if she can start from the front of the corral.

I’m not sure where you are from, but keep in mind that it is going to be hot and humid, and may not be the best race to try and get a great time.

Granted I haven’t started that far back before, but I have PR’d from a middle-ish Corral. But here are my recommendations:
Get to the corral early.
Start as close to the front of the corral as possible.
Run the tangents as close as she can.
Don’t weave around people too much.

I think she should still have a decent chance of running a good race, if she can start from the front of the corral.

I’m not sure where you are from, but keep in mind that it is going to be hot and humid, and may not be the best race to try and get a great time.
Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what are the tangents and what is a PR?

Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what are the tangents and what is a PR?
:) PR is a ‘personal record’, so in January I ran the fastest half marathon I have ever ran.
The tangents are the shortest path between two curves (geometry term). The course is measured by taking the shortest path possible - so inside of one corner to the inside of the next corner. If you ran down the middle of the road/path the whole race, you would be running farther than 13.1. It’s not very easy (or even really possible unless you are at the very front of the race) to run a perfect distance race. A little mileage will be added because of all the people, but by trying to stick as close to the tangents as possible and trying not to weave too much around people (wait/slow a little bit to see if a gap will open), you won’t add as much extra distance if you were not paying attention.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter