Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

A little clarification in advance of registration, because runDisney has made this about as clear as mud...

The Rival Run Challenge requires completing the 10K and half during SW weekend, and must be registered for on its own. Registering for the 10K and half separately will not earn you a Rival Run Challenge medal and shirt.

The Kessel Run Challenge requires completing the SW Virtual Half and the SW Rival Run Half during SW race weekend. The Rival Run Half can be run on its own, or as part of the Rival Run Challenge. In order to get the Kessel medal, you must register for the Kessel Challenge and either the Rival Run Challenge or Rival Run Half.

I’m a current AP. Since I’m out of state, I’m not planning to renew this Fall (unless we decide to visit more in 2020). That makes me eligible to register tomorrow, but will that present any issues on race weekend since I’m not renewing?

Yes - you can sign up more than one runner now. When you are completing the first person, there will be a box that asks if you want to complete and check out or sign up additional runners.
I am DVC so I get early sign up as well.... does anyone know if I can sign up myself and my BF who is not a DVC member?

I’m a current AP. Since I’m out of state, I’m not planning to renew this Fall (unless we decide to visit more in 2020). That makes me eligible to register tomorrow, but will that present any issues on race weekend since I’m not renewing?
Nope, not at all. You'll never need to have or show your AP again after registering.

I am DVC so I get early sign up as well.... does anyone know if I can sign up myself and my BF who is not a DVC member?
Officially, no. There are urban legends telling of registrations being canceled for people who were registered during early registration who were not actually eligible for that benefit, though, so you may be taking a chance there. (It's also entirely possible none of those urban legends are true, but again - it's taking a chance.)

If someone signed up for this and hypothetically got pregnant would Disney refund the entry fee?

If someone signed up for this and hypothetically got pregnant would Disney refund the entry fee?
No. rD is very clear that all registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable. Every once in a while, they'll take pity on someone who can't race and issue a gift card for part of the registration paid, but it's rare and can't be counted on.

No. rD is very clear that all registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable. Every once in a while, they'll take pity on someone who can't race and issue a gift card for part of the registration paid, but it's rare and can't be counted on.
Okay thanks

This will be my first race (ever), so I'm curious about the hype over 2020 being an anniversary year. Anybody have any thoughts on what they might do to take things up a notch for the 5 year anniversary?

This will be my first race (ever), so I'm curious about the hype over 2020 being an anniversary year. Anybody have any thoughts on what they might do to take things up a notch for the 5 year anniversary?
Honestly? I'd expect to see a "5" on some merch and decorations and probably the half medal, and hear the announcers talk about it. That's about it. "Perfect" runners who've run the half all 5 years should see something extra - a commemorative medal lanyard and/or different bib, I'd imagine.

Thank you! Now I just need to decide if I want the Kessel Run in addition to the Half!
In 2018, the Kessel Run sold out a few weeks after they announced the virtual component, but I do not believe it sold out for 2019.
In years past, runDisney has given the medals a little bit extra oomph for anniversary years as well. But recently it seems like they're adding multiple colors to the non anniversary year medals too, so that may no longer apply.

RunDisney relies on the runners to push the hype and talk themselves into expecting things to be taken up a notch. Then they do as little as possible to differentiate it from a routine race weekend. For reference see the Marathon Weekend half 20th anniversary, marathon 20th and 25th anniversaries and Dopey 5th anniversary. I'm sure there are other examples.

Hi all, I had to register anew after a long long break from the boards, but here I am again with a question. I consider myself a fairly novice runner, I run about 3 miles three times a week and have always thought of a RunDisney event even though Ive never done a race before. Well the stars are aligning in 2020. My sons marching band spring trip will be to WDW from 4/15 to 4/19, and Im a big Star Wars fan so its time. Im confident I can be ready fro the Half by next April. My question is about the Kessel Run Challenge.

If Im reading correctly, to complete the challenge you run the half marathon on the race weekend, and then at some point between January and March you complete another half marathon distance at home and that can be spread out over several days. So just by training to to run the half in April, you complete the virtual part. Is that right? So even though it costs extra to register your not necessarily running any further than you would already,right?

RunDisney relies on the runners to push the hype and talk themselves into expecting things to be taken up a notch. Then they do as little as possible to differentiate it from a routine race weekend. For reference see the Marathon Weekend half 20th anniversary, marathon 20th and 25th anniversaries and Dopey 5th anniversary. I'm sure there are other examples.
OMG that 25th anniversary photo opp! What a let down THAT was.

If Im reading correctly, to complete the challenge you run the half marathon on the race weekend, and then at some point between January and March you complete another half marathon distance at home and that can be spread out over several days. So just by training to to run the half in April, you complete the virtual part. Is that right? So even though it costs extra to register your not necessarily running any further than you would already,right?
Absolutely correct. In actuality, no extra running is required at all: you're really just buying another two medals, as no proof of completion of the virtual half is required.

Ok, so next question. I bought an AP a few weeks ago but havent activated it yet. Can I still register early or does the pass have to be activated, and if I can register early where do I go to register Im not seeing anything standout.

In the past, DH and I have only done one race per race weekend. This year, we are looking at doing two races during SW weekend, the 5k and the 10k. Do we register for each as a separate registration, or can the two races be registered for at one time? I can’t remember the forms.... Sigh... If we register one race at a time, which race tends to fill up first, so I know which to try for first? Thanks so much!

One point of reminder. In order to receive any runDisney challenge medal, you must complete all races pertaining to that challenge. Which means that if you register for Kessel Run, finish the virtual run however you choose, and participate in, but get swept during the Rival Run Half Marathon, you will not receive the Kessel Run medal because you did not finish the challenge. While runDisney may give you the half medal just for participating, they will not give you the challenge medal.

Do we register for each as a separate registration, or can the two races be registered for at one time?
The only races available to register for all at once are the challenges, so 10K/Half in this case. You will need to register for the 5K and 10K separately.

Look, I know it's early and all, and it's only rack rates, but All-Star resorts starting at $200 a night? Campsites starting at $175? What the hell? Going to wind up staying offsite, if I go...

A little clarification in advance of registration, because runDisney has made this about as clear as mud...

The Rival Run Challenge requires completing the 10K and half during SW weekend, and must be registered for on its own. Registering for the 10K and half separately will not earn you a Rival Run Challenge medal and shirt.

The Kessel Run Challenge requires completing the SW Virtual Half and the SW Rival Run Half during SW race weekend. The Rival Run Half can be run on its own, or as part of the Rival Run Challenge. In order to get the Kessel medal, you must register for the Kessel Challenge and either the Rival Run Challenge or Rival Run Half.

OK, thanks for the clarification. So just for my peace of mind that I'm going to select the right things when registering - if I want to sign DD and I up for the 5k, Rival Run Challenge and also the virtual half, I need to register for 3 separate things, 5k, Rival Run and Kessel? On the RunD website the Kessel Run Challenge is listed as $254-$399 so wasn't sure if I'd be selecting the $399 option + the 5k. Sorry I'm probably over complicating...

For April's race I had originally just signed us up for the Rival Run Half and Virtual Half and then later contacted RunDisney to 'upgrade' to the Rival Run Challenge so I want to make sure I register correctly today. :)

BTW - I laugh every time I see your profile pic - it's awesome! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter