Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

This was my first Disney run (ran the 10K). This was BY FAR the funest time I've ever had running.

I'm fat-old-lady slow and feared the balloon ladies, but I ran way more than I thought I could and I giggled the entire time!

When my 5 year old daughter saw my medal, her mouthed dropped open; she was in awe that I came in 10th place!! :rotfl2:

I can not wait to do this again!!

Thoughts. The 10K seemed more relaxed and less crowded than the half. Maybe because I was in corral A.:confused3 There were five buses waiting when we arrived to board Saturday morning. My sister and I waited, in what was to become the massage tent for Sunday's race. Once we figured out the direction to the corrals it was easy. Anna and Elsa were on an overpass. Then it was Tink and a fellow fairy. Stilt walker dressed in Mardi Gras. Jiminy Cricket and Marie kitty. We stopped for Marie. Next was baseball Donald at ESPN, but his line was closing. Passing on Donald, we took pictures around the boardwalk. My sister had her Iphone 6 and got some nice photos, as the sun was coming up. The line for Minnie was long, but we stopped as it was about a mile to go. Then came Goofy dressed in space attire. His line was super short so we stopped here, too. Ample buses were lined up to get participants back to the resorts and we were at DHS by 10:00 am.

This was my first Disney run (ran the 10K). This was BY FAR the funest time I've ever had running.

I'm fat-old-lady slow and feared the balloon ladies, but I ran way more than I thought I could and I giggled the entire time!

When my 5 year old daughter saw my medal, her mouthed dropped open; she was in awe that I came in 10th place!! :rotfl2:

I can not wait to do this again!!

Cute. We walked more and ran less, which was my plan. I planned about a 90 minute time frame and came in at 1:34 with photo stops. The Minnie line moved quickly.

Anyone else here going to do wine and dine?? I was waiting to see how PHM shook out before finalizing my decision, but I had a good race for my first half and now I'm pumped for it!

Remember that a night race is a totally different beast than a morning race. For me, turns out I like the night races better. Even when it's nearing 90 and sooo humid. Or it's chilly and raining the entire time. (TOT 2013 and W&D last year, respectively) I think it's a timezone thing for me.

I'm not into expensive leather purses, but it really seems awful that they so blatantly allow ebay people to snag them all. Bibs and IDs should be shown, first off. No one is buying 10 Dooneys for xmas presents, and if they were, WHY would you buy a rundisney themed bag for people who aren't there running that race? Ridiculous.

DW and I got our Glass Slippers!

Kudos to the runDisney team for a wonderful weekend, including a FREEZING Frozen 5K! It was cold enough on Friday morning that the water spilled on the table where we were volunteering was freezing solid!

We liked some new touches and want to acknowledge the runDisney team for continuing to make these events better: first, there was a Disney parking person at the end of the row in the parking lot making sure we knew our lot and row number! I mean, who remembers to check when they're so excited to get to the before-race party, right?

Second, there were tables at the post-race photo banners to set our stuff on! Nicer than having to drop the bags, bottles, etc. on the ground to get our pictures taken.

Also, providing the space blankets just after the medals for the cold after the 5K and 10K really helped on those below-normal temperature mornings, and the mesh bags given out after the Princess race was a nice touch to hold our goodies.

One item I'd really like to see improved is for pre-race access to the Medical tent after dropping off checked bags. I needed to get vaseline applied to my knees before pulling on my two braces, but couldn't get to the Medical tent from the runners-only side of the bag check tents. We had access to Medical prior to the WAD (aka Splash and Dash) in the ESPN parking lot/staging area, so I wasn't prepared this time, and the chaffed legs proves it!

Overall, we had a wonderful time in both races. runDisney is the best when it comes to making races special!

This was my 7th Princess and certainly one that I went all out in costume…it was my son's idea to be Burt and Mary Poppin's from the Jolly Holiday scene in the movie. The weekend was fun and the expo the 2nd best (in my opinion, I think the 3rd year was the best) in all the years. The buses ran smoothly, the race temp. was the 2nd best (again in my opinion, second year the best), and the course always changing. There was definitely a lack of photo ops, compared to past years. That said, I did get the photo I wanted and I ale got one with the Fairy God Mother in Epcot, a first, and she gave us a shout out at the race start.
After the fifth year, I said I was done and then they did the GSC last year so I I did that plus the 5K and again said enough, then my son (21 year old, college senior) said let's do this and how can I say no. Home now and I am already thinking about next year..yeah!
Let me see if I can post a photo…it was like being a rock star with so many shout outs and people wanting to take photos with or of us…crazy
IMG_0017.jpg
If you click on photo it gets bigger

Remember that a night race is a totally different beast than a morning race. For me, turns out I like the night races better. Even when it's nearing 90 and sooo humid. Or it's chilly and raining the entire time. (TOT 2013 and W&D last year, respectively) I think it's a timezone thing for me.

Yes I did TOT in October. I didn't notice feeling any different between the two times (other than my knee not pounding at PHM!) But it is nice to be awake for so long beforehand because I have less fear that I am forgetting something!

I'll add here why I say that - I forgot my knee straps for the 5k. So dumb! I was really afraid I'd hurt myself before the half as a result but I didn't. I suspect that my issues are healing up and that is why I'm ok, but just didn't plan on risking it so close to the race.

This was my 7th Princess and certainly one that I went all out in costume…it was my son's idea to be Burt and Mary Poppin's from the Jolly Holiday scene in the movie. The weekend was fun and the expo the 2nd best (in my opinion, I think the 3rd year was the best) in all the years. The buses ran smoothly, the race temp. was the 2nd best (again in my opinion, second year the best), and the course always changing. There was definitely a lack of photo ops, compared to past years. That said, I did get the photo I wanted and I ale got one with the Fairy God Mother in Epcot, a first, and she gave us a shout out at the race start.
After the fifth year, I said I was done and then they did the GSC last year so I I did that plus the 5K and again said enough, then my son (21 year old, college senior) said let's do this and how can I say no. Home now and I am already thinking about next year..yeah!
Let me see if I can post a photo…it was like being a rock star with so many shout outs and people wanting to take photos with or of us…crazy
View attachment 79807

Love the pic of you and your son ! One more race next year...we can do it !

My bf and I really enjoyed this year's races. It's funny, a lot of our friends were inspired by us while we were away and we noticed that several of them (at least a dozen or so) have signed up for local 5K's and 10K's. So that's pretty cool!

My only complaint was about the bitter cold, freezing temps at the 5K, and the fact that there were only a few heat lamps (which kept burning out). We didn't even attempt to crowd around them, we just kept walking around in circles to try to stay warm. The space blankets were a welcome sight at the finish line. I just wish we'd had them pre-race, because I was frozen solid! The HM was much better, a really great run. I almost get sad passing through the castle since I know that I'm pretty much half way done already. My IT band held out, no flare-ups whatsoever at either of the races. My right ankle gave me some trouble the afternoon after the HM, and for the next few days, but I chalk that up to overuse by walking around the parks combined with the races. Thank goodness I brought my ankle brace!

The space blankets were a welcome sight at the finish line. I just wish we'd had them pre-race, because I was frozen solid!

How cold was it? They were hiding and hoarding (in the medical tent) the space blankets for the WDW Marathon events. It hit 35 degrees before the 5K in January and they were NOT giving out those things unless you had a medical problem. (freezing is a medical problem, people)

How cold was it? They were hiding and hoarding (in the medical tent) the space blankets for the WDW Marathon events. It hit 35 degrees before the 5K in January and they were NOT giving out those things unless you had a medical problem. (freezing is a medical problem, people)

It was 35F at the start, with a real feel of 28F since it was sort of windy. It felt much colder than that, but once it gets below freezing it all feels just COLD to me!

Finally made it home. As expected, I felt great for about 8 miles and then my hip totally gave out on me. I walked quite a bit more then I expected, but I'm not at all bummed out. I'm really proud of the work I put in and accomplished. I'm game for another half, but I think I need a lot of strength work and perhaps a few sessions with a running coach to fix my stride. 10Ks are more my jam right now.

What I am NOT proud of was passing out in the race reunion area after the race. It was much, much warmer then anything I've ever trained in and I have a hard time maintaining appropriate salt and electrolytes which leads to really low blood pressure. Luckily, I felt it coming on and was laying down. My cousin and friend were with me and were able to get me over to the medical tent. I got some powerade in me (which usually makes me absolutely sick to my stomach) and after 30-40 minutes of sipping on that, I felt more like myself.

My family (my kids, 2 cousins, aunt and sister) all participated in the various races, and everyone had a fabulous time. I think we'll probably stick to DL races for the future (my one cousin wants his C2C now!), since we're all West Coasters and that race time was brutal!

Happy to be home too, but had a great race! Congrats to everyone who got out there and did their best! I was happy to have my sister with me to really push me. The weather was great, there was plenty of water stations, and the Gu I brought with me was perfect. The race course never seemed too congested to me (corral G). Getting to the race from AoA was simple, and we timed it perfectly (left our room at 3:45) so we didn't get to our corral too early or too late. One minor gripe, we made a quick portapotty pitstop, which was fine, except that when we went to leave we got directed through a giant mud puddle (that we couldn't see in the dark), so I was splashed with mud up my legs and all over my shoes! Also, the end of the half is brutal, they wind you back and forth, back and forth forever and you keep thinking every corner will bring you to the finish line! I found it a bit discouraging since I had no reference for how close I really was (or wasn't!) to the finish line. All in all, a really great first half and first run disney race!

View attachment 79807

I noticed several pictures of you and your son in the unidentified sections of marathon photo. Lots to wade through but probably saw about 5, some in the male filter section and some in the female.

I've loved reading the comments from the race finishers! Getting my so excited to try out my first princess half marathon next year!! Anyone have a 2016 PHM thread up that I can join?

I know it's a little late but just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice and encouragement before the Princess Half. We had a great first half marathon and rundisney experience! I kinda wish we had stopped for more photos, only stopped and had our picture with the army guy.

Were Mickey and Minnie on the course for the half? If they were we totally missed them!

I wish we had planned more down time for the weekend but I think it's hard to go to disney and not go to the parks every day!

And everyone is right, Disney races are totally addicting! I'm planning my next one with my husband. We are deciding between Wine and Dine and Marathon weekend. One week to decide!!!

I thought I'd already responded here, but didn't. I had a great race weekend. The 5k was truly Frozen, but my 6 year old daughter loved and and is begging to do it again. The 10k is my favorite, and I really enjoyed running that whole thing start to finish. Didn't take my throwaway sweatshirt off until mile 3, but it was great. Having my family cheering me on from the BWV balcony was fun. Wearing my compression socks after the first two races while touring the parks did the trick and I felt great going into the 13.1. Unfortunately, my knee/ITB issues started at mile 4. I think its all the bobbing and weaving on the Disney courses that gets me. I had trained up to 12 without pain, so I was disappointed I had trouble in the race. I had to stop at every opportunity for biofreeze, I noticed at a water stop they have it at the end of those as well as at the medical stops. My sister left me behind at mile 8ish. But my per mile pace is faster than her, so when I could run (8/10 of every mile) I was running faster than her so, we didn't get that far apart. We ended up finishing 2 minutes apart. She felt bad, but I told her to go. She had her own injury she was dealing with, but it was the opposite, stopping (while I got biofreeze) made it worse, and it took her a long time to warm back up. Even with all that I still enjoyed the race. I felt like others above, all the races seemed to have less character stops than last year. I am determined to make the third time a charm:) My main goal will be to improve my 10k qualifying time so I can get a closer corral. I had F this year, but started in J, which was way worse than I recall F being last year, as far as the crowd level and bobbing and weaving.

My daughter loved the 10k medal and asked to wear it around EPCOT after lunch. Unfortunately she took it off in a bathroom stall and left it. I realized it under 15 minutes later, but it was gone. I looked like a crazy person waiting to check every stall because she couldn't remember which one she used. :scared: I made a report at lost and found, but no luck. When we got home I emailed rD. To be honest, the medal is a lot like last years, and sadly, mine just sit in a drawer, so it wasn't a huge deal to me. But my daughter was so upset and felt so guilty. Well, low and behold, yesterday in the mail, I received a replacement medal. Gotta love runDisney!

I am going to try for my Coast-to-Coast and do Avengers this year. Then, I'll be back to do GSC 2016. My hope is to get really strong and stay uninjured, and if I can get through GSC 2016 without any major issues the next to-do will be Marathon weekend 2017! I am a Disney fanatic, DVC member, and have had an AP most years since I was 18, but I honestly thought one Disney race would be enough and I'd be done after 2014. But I had to repeat to do 2015 with my sister who had to defer 2014. Now I feel like a total addict. I told my husbands there are worse addictions:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter