• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Official August 2021 thread ***

I just told my kids this morning to get me all their masks they have floating around in their room, backpacks, and car. I want to wash them all and see how many we have. We are flying and will use Disney transportation, so we knew we would need some. But may use them even more with the current state of things.

Good thinking! We were planning on taking a few for the plane, buses, monorail, etc., but if we're using them in a more widespread fashion in the heat, I think a jumbo box of disposables might be in order instead of just the washable fabric ones I'd planned on packing. My kids both played a lot of sports fully masked this year (basketball, volleyball, etc.), and although they tried a variety of styles and fabrics, they found the blue disposable medical-style masks to be the easiest to breathe through in a hot-and-sweaty environment.

Last edited:
I just told my kids this morning to get me all their masks they have floating around in their room, backpacks, and car. I want to wash them all and see how many we have. We are flying and will use Disney transportation, so we knew we would need some. But may use them even more with the current state of things.
I highly recommend cheap disposable masks. They are more breathable in the heat and just easier to discard and not worry about.

Good thinking! We were planning on taking a few for the plane, buses, monorail, etc., but if we're using them in a more widespread fashion in the heat, I think a jumbo box of disposables might be in order instead of just the washable fabric ones I'd planned on packing. My kids both played a lot of sports fully masked this year (basketball, volleyball, etc.), and although they tried a variety of styles and fabrics, they found the blue disposable medical-style masks to be the easiest to breathe through in a hot-and-sweaty environment.

I do have a stash of disposable ones to take also. My kids played a lot of baseball and softball this spring/summer and preferred their clothes ones. Not sure why. I know my husband prefers the disposable ones. I've been lucky that I haven't had to wear a mask for any extended period, so I'm not the best judge.

I am seeing a lot of concerns about crows size/wait times. We have only gone for Thanksgiving week and presidents week. How do crowds compare to this?

I am seeing a lot of concerns about crows size/wait times. We have only gone for Thanksgiving week and presidents week. How do crowds compare to this?

Based on my reading, an answer to this wouldn't be relevant. The issue isn't necessarily the number of humans in the parks - it's the way the people are congregated. The issue is that with only the standby queue available to hold all of the people, as opposed to some people in the standby queue and some in the FP queue, the lines snake all over the place making the parks look and feel like there are more people present than at other more crowded times. Add to that the number of major people holders closed or reduced capacity - shows, shops, restaurants, meet & greets, parades etc -- and people have no where else to go except these lines. The post I inserted below was very helpful to me -- I was better able to understand the lines situation after reading this.

We were there last week as well, and it is definitely very crowded. As others have noted, the lack of entertainment, character meet-and-greets, and shows means that far more people are competing for the same spaces and attractions, so everything feels busier wherever you go. And when a big people-eater like Pirates goes down, as it did for much of our first day at MK, everything else spirals from there.

I did also notice, though, that actual wait times were consistently MUCH lower than the posted waits. For several attractions, a 40-minute posted wait time actually meant only 15-20 minutes in line. I eventually gave up on WDW's posted waits and just relied on the Touring Plan Lines app, which ended up being more accurate despite being just a general estimate.

I realized why that was when I went through the queue for Kilimanjaro Safari: those standby queues are NOT designed to hold the entire throughput of the attraction, and it causes major crowd control issues when they do, so they overestimate the wait times to scare people away and keep it from being even worse.

Kilimanjaro Safari has an hourly capacity of 3,000 people. If 2/3rds of capacity is dedicated to FastPass+ that means about 1,000 people/hour are expected to move through the Standby queue. That Standby queue may hold less than 1,500 people or so (rough estimate based on the time spent once we actually entered the "normal" queue area), so with FastPass+ running they might have space for a 90 minute wait in the Standby queue.

But when there is no FastPass+ queue, all 3,000 people move into a physical space that was not designed to hold them, and they spill out into the rest of the park. If there are 3,000 people in line (60 minute wait) then more than 1,500 people are in the extended queue, spilling out in the park!

On Kilimanjaro, the queue was posted as 75 minutes (3,750 people) and started at Tusker House, switched back down by Festival of the Lion King, and even ran through an ugly backstage industrial area (eww!) before entering the queue. And that was for an actual wait of "only" 50 minutes (2,500 people). If the wait was actually 75 minutes, I have no idea where they would put everybody.

Without FastPass+, they really only have physical space for a 30-minute queue, but of course everybody would ride the Safaris if the wait is only 30 minutes, and that would be unmanageable. So they lie to guests, consistently overestimating wait times to scare folks away and keep the miserable extended queues barely manageable. (Here is an article with some photos of the awful Safaris queue experience -- I was truly horrified.) https://www.kennythepirate.com/2021...om-attraction-is-now-using-a-backstage-queue/

I noticed the same thing on Pirates of the Caribbean, where the posted 45-minute wait actually took less than 20 minutes, but even at that point the queue almost backed up into the street.

This experience has me convinced that FastPass+ definitely will come back, and will likely have at least half of ride capacity dedicated to it on most attractions (e.g. not just as a super-expensive add-on to a minority of users). They just do not have the physical space in those queues to do it any other way.

August 2021 Roll Call!
If you are visiting Disney World in August 2021, post your dates, and resort in the thread, and I will add you to the roll call!

Jul 30 - Aug 4 A-Rose788 CSR[
Jul 30 - Aug 9 MrsLF 30 - 2 BC 2 - 9 Poly
Aug 1 - Aug 6 Sargeant Tibbs PoP[
Aug 1 - Aug 7 Slaggslala CBR
Aug 1 - Aug 13 figmentfinesse 1 - 4 BLT 4 - 13 CCV
Aug 1 - Aug 14 disny_luvr BCV
Aug 3 - Aug 11 cbeeindustry ASM
Aug 3 - Aug 10 Disneychoirnerd CBR
Aug 4 - Aug 14 jakifamily OKW
Aug 5 - Aug 19 KrazyKoala PoP
Aug 6 - Aug 20 AdrienneP23 Riviera
Aug 7 - Aug 14 Statefan17 YC
Aug 7 - Aug 15 suse66 BWV / Boulder Ridge
Aug 7 - Aug 21 123SA AoA
Aug 8 - Aug 15 buzzrelly BCV
Aug 9 - Aug 19 OurLaughingPlace 9 - 16 POR 16 - 19 BCV
Aug 13 - Aug 18 cjlong88 Poly
Aug 13 - Aug 22 Nikki0401 Poly
Aug 13 - Aug 23 TwoLittlePrincesses BC
Aug 14 - Aug 21 ShannyMcB CBR
Aug 14 - Aug 23 Pills Riviera
Aug 14 - Aug 24 omniscientmommy SSR
Aug 14 - Aug 25 MISSYLEXI AKL Savanna View!
Aug 16 - Aug 21 anneboleyn Undecided
Aug 16 - Aug 22 sromanello815 WL / Copper Creek
Aug 16 - Aug 25 han22735 OKW
Aug 17 - Aug 26 figmentdream AoA
Aug 17 - Aug 26 Jaimet WL
Aug 17 - Aug 31 annachunt 17 - 23 OKW 23 - 27 Disney Cruise 27 - 31 AKL
Aug 18 - Aug 25 Sashaswt CBR
Aug 18 - Aug 27 alimcn BC
Aug 21 - Aug 28 MissSha VGF
Aug 21 - Aug 31 disneyAndi14 CR / BC
Aug 22 - Aug 28 mantysk8coach Poly
Aug 22 - Aug 29 Palaura PoP
Aug 23 - Aug 29 cindianne320 Offsite
Aug 24 - Sep 2 myhoney 24 - 30 AoA 30 - Sept 2 Universal
Aug 29 - Sep 3 lizzyb AoA
Aug 24 - Sep 7 hsmamainva Aug 24 - Sept 3 ASM Sept 3 - Sept 7 Universal Cabana Bay
August 19-23 - Yacht Club

Question:

Does anyone know what "Upon entering and throughout all attractions " means? For example, when you enter the queue for the safari - -so you are under the roof, but there are no walls...is that where you put on the mask?

Question:

Does anyone know what "Upon entering and throughout all attractions " means? For example, when you enter the queue for the safari - -so you are under the roof, but there are no walls...is that where you put on the mask?
I’m guessing that they worded it this way so that outdoor queues will not be included this time. We shall see.

Question:

this is probably going to be why this will be so difficult to know what to do exactly and when. like for outdoor rides, do we need masks? Or only indoor rides. I am thinking they will clarify a bit more in the next few days

ANd did you notice on DIsney's site...it says
"Beginning July 30, face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) while indoors and in Disney buses, monorail and Disney Skyliner, regardless of vaccination status."

But then the chart below is this:
Fully Vaccinated Guests

Face Coverings RequiredFace Coverings Optional
All transportation except ferry boats, including transportation entrances
All other locations at Walt Disney World Resort

Is this just not updated fully?

I was there in February and unless they lower capacity and do line spacing I’m not sure masks are a huge safety improvement. We are at BWI, booked 8/15-24 and I’ll go unless I have to wear one outside, it’s just too hot. Speaking of which, so no masks outside at Food and Wine booths smooshed up against everyone? Will they shut down the park reservation calendars? Space out the lines? I felt very safe in February and I hadn’t even been vaxed yet (am now). If they are so concerned however they should shut down capacity availability and space the lines again.

I was there in February and unless they lower capacity and do line spacing I’m not sure masks are a huge safety improvement. We are at BWI, booked 8/15-24 and I’ll go unless I have to wear one outside, it’s just too hot. Speaking of which, so no masks outside at Food and Wine booths smooshed up against everyone? Will they shut down the park reservation calendars? Space out the lines? I felt very safe in February and I hadn’t even been vaxed yet (am now). If they are so concerned however they should shut down capacity availability and space the lines again.
I don’t think they change anything else. The only thing the cdc said was about masks indoors, so that’s all they changed, but I completely agree that masking is mostly useless when smooshed next to a bunch of other people. I honestly have a feeling that they didnt say anything about distancing because they knew businesses would be okay requiring masks, but not so much redoing all the distancing stuff. They are weighing what they should tell us to do with what they actually think they can do at this point. The dropping of masks for vaccinated was supposed to get people to get vaccinated, but they stupidly underestimated people’s willingness to lie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter