• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Official August 2021 thread ***

We are going to MK on 8/14 for exactly the same reason. But we are dis-ers who know about the low crowds on early close days. I think think most people will avoid it because they don’t want to spend a day at MK with no fireworks.

I understand some people are disappointed but we booked back when masks were in place and will be stuck with expiring DVC points worth thousands of dollars if we cancel. This news was always goong to disappoint someone, but with our under 12 kids unable to be vaccinated, we are incredibly relieved. My DH hates wearing masks but even he likes this new rule because it is indoor/attractions only and he will get a break between ride queues. Seems like a good compromise to us.

Is it only indoor attractions or also outdoor rides?

We’re annual pass holders so I have a room only booked 8/15-24. I’m going to wait and see what people are saying about how it’s going with the masks. I’m leaning towards canceling, especially since I now wear glasses and the fogging with the mask will be unbearable in the humidity. I’m not sure I want to dish out thousands of dollars to be uncomfortable.

We’re annual pass holders so I have a room only booked 8/15-24. I’m going to wait and see what people are saying about how it’s going with the masks. I’m leaning towards canceling, especially since I now wear glasses and the fogging with the mask will be unbearable in the humidity. I’m not sure I want to dish out thousands of dollars to be uncomfortable.
I'm sure you're well aware but the other thing you'll want to keep an eye on is the Park Availability Calendar. If Disney decides to impose other safety measures and decreases capacity, it could be difficult to get park reservations. They don't generally announce when they change park capacity limits. The good thing is right now all parks have capacity for all parks except 1 day is full for AP's at DHS.

There is already a years worth of reports if what it is like to wear masks at WDW if you read back through the here now thread before June. You wren’t going to get any more clarity than that between now and august. Some people don’t mind them, other people find them very uncomfortable, some prefer cloth, others disposable, and they make anti fog spray for glasses.

There is already a years worth of reports if what it is like to wear masks at WDW if you read back through the here now thread before June. You wren’t going to get any more clarity than that between now and august. Some people don’t mind them, other people find them very uncomfortable, some prefer cloth, others disposable, and they make anti fog spray for glasses.
I meant more of how they are handling the lines for say Food & Wine, or where does the mask wearing begin, etc. I was there is February but it was cooler and the crowds were low in addition to line spacing. Since then I have to wear glasses for an eye problem so I am concerned about the masks in the heat. I just want more info on exactly where they are required, in the whole queue or just once it reaches inside? I imagine it’s the whole queue. We’ve done august many times but always with fast pass and obviously no masks. I don’t believe they’ve had masks in addition to large crowds so I guess this is what I am waiting on, I have family that left today for 5 days so I’ll get more info from them as well.

We went last August when masks were required literally everywhere (except when pulled off to the side eating/drinking while stationary) and to be honest the masks were not a bother at all. i know YMMV with this but just wanted to mention it for some people who may have not had to wear masks yet in disney in the summer.

We went last August when masks were required literally everywhere (except when pulled off to the side eating/drinking while stationary) and to be honest the masks were not a bother at all. i know YMMV with this but just wanted to mention it for some people who may have not had to wear masks yet in disney in the summer.
I found them a bother in February but only on very hot days. I think we all have different tolerance levels. My concern is in February the crowds were very light and now they are heavy. I’m leaning towards not going but it’s not an easy decision.

I meant more of how they are handling the lines for say Food & Wine, or where does the mask wearing begin, etc. I was there is February but it was cooler and the crowds were low in addition to line spacing. Since then I have to wear glasses for an eye problem so I am concerned about the masks in the heat. I just want more info on exactly where they are required, in the whole queue or just once it reaches inside? I imagine it’s the whole queue. We’ve done august many times but always with fast pass and obviously no masks. I don’t believe they’ve had masks in addition to large crowds so I guess this is what I am waiting on, I have family that left today for 5 days so I’ll get more info from them as well.
There is no requirement for outdoor lines for F & W. We won't know about ride queues until tomorrow when we start getting some first hand reports.

So is anyone cancelling/rescheduling their trip?
We are supposed to check in on 8/29.

Hopefully this will be short lived as we are in peak vacation season right now.

Last edited:
So is anyone cancelling/rescheduling their trip?
I just don’t know what I’ll do. I cannot get a refund because I’ve rented points, but that won’t sway my decision. If it’s still horrible in August (whatever you consider horrible: the crowds, the cases of COVID, the inadequate masking, the lack of social distancing, etc) I’ll probably have to cancel.
If cases go down to normalish levels and masks are still required, I’ll probably still go. I was planning to mask the whole time anyway.

Not canceling. We've been three times with masks, including last year in August, without any difficulty wearing them (having a mask that is the right material is key), and are very much relieved they are back given how bad the situation is in central Florida, and our kids are too young to be vaccinated. Now I just hope they pare back the park reservation capacity limits a bit too so we aren't smooshed in shoulder-to-shoulder crowd full of maskless people in outdoor areas.

I have considered canceling. I waited until the mask mandates had been lifted to book our trip. I'm not against masks, just didn't want to have to deal with them in the Florida heat. Combined with the reports I'm hearing of how crowded it is and how long the lines are I'm definitely weighing the cost of going versus not going. My son and I are both vaccinated, and we've had COVID. I have been itching to go back to Disney-before COVID hit I had planned that we would go this summer. Once the mask mandates lifted, I started considering a trip. Then one day we were going somewhere and my son asked if we could go back to Disney because he really wanted to see the Star Wars stuff (the last time we were there it hadn't opened). I booked a trip that night. He's at camp this week, so I can't really ask him his opinion on it. We will probably go, but there are a lot of reasons to not go right now too.

Thank you, everyone, for answering all my questions last night about canceling. After many discussions, we have decided we are going ahead with our trip. We are just too excited to cancel. One part of me is sad and disappointed that we have to wear masks, and the other part of me is almost relieved with the way covid is spreading in Florida. I keep telling myself it's just a mask, get a grip, lol! Anyway, my boys are excited and honestly they could care less about masks, my DH, too. I'm the problem, lol. I know our trip will be what we make of it, and we are all positive, go-with-the-flow people (yes, even me!) and I know when we get there we will have a great time. I just get nervous with the unexpected, but I know it will be fine. Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble. I hope all of you that have trips this month enjoy them. I'll try to pop in here once or twice and report on our trip. See you Sunday, Disney! 😉

I haven’t purchased Memory Maker yet and am still on the fence because of masks. If I do the three day advanced purchase tomorrow, when is it activated - Sunday or Monday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter