OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

Reading through this thread to plan our T-day at DLR and am having sticker shock! I felt prepared because it is Disney, but over $100 per person :( Any other good options in the area? Mrs Knott's or even the chicken and waffles place on Harbor?

I'm also wondering where to eat on Thanksgiving, we'll be in Disneyland that day, but don't want to spend a lot for a meal! I figured some of the other restaurants would have a turkey dinner? I'm just happy to be there to see the Christmas decorations for the first time!!! :)

There are plenty of places to eat in the parks, hotels or DTD that aren't priced as high. Last year we ate at Storyteller's which was wonderful. We've done Blue Bayou. I think almost all of the table service restaurants will add some sort of a Thanksgiving special to their menu.

We will be in Anaheim for 7days but we also plan on visiting knottsberry farm and San Diego zoo for two of those days.
We are staying at the Hyatt House, which looks really nice.

OK...sounds like you are all set for a great holiday. The first thing I'd suggest planning wise is taking a look at the days for early entry. You probably have 5 day hopper passes so you are entitled to one EE to DL. Days for EE are Tues, Thurs Sat. Bear in mind that guests staying at the resort hotels also have EE to DCA on the other days. So it makes sense to go to DCA for opening on a Tues Thurs or Sat as well, because that way you don't start behind a queue. I also take a look at the annual pass block out calendar which is on the Disney website. Days when some of the more popular APs are blocked make a big difference to crowd levels, so if any of them do fall on days you are there, use them as Disney days not Knottsbery or zoo days. Finally, I'd also factor in shows. It's likely Fantasmic will be scheduled at some stage during your trip (you can follow threads for that show) and most people want to see the fireworks. I can't remember whether they will be on every night at that time of year (someone here will know though!) so add them to your list.
There's an overview here of things to do:https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/holidays-at-the-disneyland-resort/
You can make reservations for dining packages for shows like WOC and F! from 60 days out (exactly) to ensure you have decent viewing, which is important for the kids. They may well have take out packages for parade viewing too, which saves you time and is quite cost effective. But again, this thread will no doubt have updates for you.
I'd suggest you also follow the Max Pass threads, which will give you an idea of how to work the new Fastpass system to reduce queuing.
And is everyone will tell you, touring DL is tiring, especially if you have long hauled it from Australia (we come from NZ). You have plenty of time in 5 days to see everything, so do take some time to rest up. Start early, go home, then come back in the eveningl An hour or two back at the hotel in the middle of the day is well worth it!

OK...sounds like you are all set for a great holiday. The first thing I'd suggest planning wise is taking a look at the days for early entry. You probably have 5 day hopper passes so you are entitled to one EE to DL. Days for EE are Tues, Thurs Sat. Bear in mind that guests staying at the resort hotels also have EE to DCA on the other days. So it makes sense to go to DCA for opening on a Tues Thurs or Sat as well, because that way you don't start behind a queue. I also take a look at the annual pass block out calendar which is on the Disney website. Days when some of the more popular APs are blocked make a big difference to crowd levels, so if any of them do fall on days you are there, use them as Disney days not Knottsbery or zoo days. Finally, I'd also factor in shows. It's likely Fantasmic will be scheduled at some stage during your trip (you can follow threads for that show) and most people want to see the fireworks. I can't remember whether they will be on every night at that time of year (someone here will know though!) so add them to your list.
There's an overview here of things to do:https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/holidays-at-the-disneyland-resort/
You can make reservations for dining packages for shows like WOC and F! from 60 days out (exactly) to ensure you have decent viewing, which is important for the kids. They may well have take out packages for parade viewing too, which saves you time and is quite cost effective. But again, this thread will no doubt have updates for you.
I'd suggest you also follow the Max Pass threads, which will give you an idea of how to work the new Fastpass system to reduce queuing.
And is everyone will tell you, touring DL is tiring, especially if you have long hauled it from Australia (we come from NZ). You have plenty of time in 5 days to see everything, so do take some time to rest up. Start early, go home, then come back in the eveningl An hour or two back at the hotel in the middle of the day is well worth it!

Thank you so much for all the information. What is the block out days?
I don't think we will use max pass as with five people over five days it adds up. I plan to use rider switch as we have a toddler who can't ride a lot of the rides and regular fastpass, hopefully that will work for us.
What about photo pass, I'm still not exactly sure how that works, do I buy it before we leave or at the parks?
Thanks again

Thank you so much for all the information. What is the block out days?
I don't think we will use max pass as with five people over five days it adds up. I plan to use rider switch as we have a toddler who can't ride a lot of the rides and regular fastpass, hopefully that will work for us.
What about photo pass, I'm still not exactly sure how that works, do I buy it before we leave or at the parks?
Thanks again

Block out days are days when annual passes aren't valid. You can check them here https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/
You can buy photopass before you leave https://disneyland.disney.go.com/photopass/products, but you activate it by dropping into one of the photo pass stores in the parks.
There is also a good thread on it somewhere around here... Maxpass will combine photopass as well, so might be worth checking the overall pricing. If you don't see a thread on that here, try asking - someone will have figured out the upsides on it!
We don't always buy Photopass but it is great for a trip like yours, and great for Christmas!
Regular FP will work well, but try to get to the parks as early as possible. There is no quiet time any more, but as you are arriving after Thanksgiving and before Christmas proper it might be a bit less busy!

This is not exclusive to the holiday season, but it is going on during the holiday season this year, as well as Halloween Time, so it is relevant here as well!

The Dia de los Muertos celebration at DLR is generally associated with Halloween Time. This year they are doing an unusual thing. They are still going to have the usual Dia de los Muertos display in Disneyland from 9/15 - 11/2, but now they are also adding in some things to California Adventure. Part of what they're doing in California Adventure lasts through 11/2.

But then.... some things are taking place in A Bug's Land, from 11/5/17 -- 1/7/18 (this confirms what we already knew about the holiday season ending on 1/7/18).

The Parks Blog said this:

...this immersive celebration will include special entertainment, featuring musicians and dancers, interactive activities — including a representation of Mexican folk art — and special décor and food inspired by this Mexican celebration of family.

The celebration will feature the upcoming Disney•Pixar animated motion picture, "Coco," with special themed experiences inspired by the film. Select elements of the celebration will move to “a bug’s land” beginning Sunday, Nov. 5, where they will be presented alongside a special sneak peek of the film, which will continue through the holiday season until Jan. 7, 2018.

Join us and celebrate with your family at Disney California Adventure park!

It sounds like an odd fit for A Bug's Land.... but I suppose they need to keep the Paradise Pier area free for Viva Navidad?

This is the full Blog -- https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...perience-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

I don't know how they will handle it this year because it's been down for so long, but -- if I remember correctly, and I could certainly be wrong -- it tends to run on a limited/Fri/Sat/Sun/holiday only sort of schedule up until a certain point in the season. Somewhere around early/mid-December, it is then shown nightly.

Again, I have no idea what will happen this year because Fantasmic! has been dark for a while. They could extend the schedule.

I appreciate the heads-up on that since we fly in on a Sunday morning and fly out on a Friday evening at the end of November. If they stick to that schedule we may have to enter CA on Sunday to catch Fantasmic! That will put a noticeable wrinkle in our 1st day plans though. Hopefully they will extend the schedule since it was down.

Please tell me your user name is based on the fantastic Beatles song? Best band in the world :worship:

Indeed it is! I have had this as a gamer/username online since the early 90s, Mean Mister Mustard lives on and the Beatles Rock! :rockband:

I believe they have confirmed it will be Season of Light. It was amazing!!

The last time my fam was there this is what WoC looked like, so we'll be happy with whatever it is!

Disney2009-0609.JPG

I appreciate the heads-up on that since we fly in on a Sunday morning and fly out on a Friday evening at the end of November. If they stick to that schedule we may have to enter CA on Sunday to catch Fantasmic! That will put a noticeable wrinkle in our 1st day plans though. Hopefully they will extend the schedule since it was down.

Indeed it is! I have had this as a gamer/username online since the early 90s, Mean Mister Mustard lives on and the Beatles Rock! :rockband:

The last time my fam was there this is what WoC looked like, so we'll be happy with whatever it is!

Disney2009-0609.JPG

Indeed, you will enjoy this version of WOC much more than the one you saw on your last trip. :rotfl2:

Can I please have some help in deciding which dates. Either Dec 22-26 or 29-2. Are crowds the same for Christmas and New years. We don't mind crowds we know it will be very busy, but are there any special morning events that will make it busier at the parks. During Fantasmic/WOC are lines less? We prefer xmas but don't mind new years because decorations will still be up and fights are a bit less. I will be there with my DH and DD who is 9 and our goddaughter who is 6.

There are plenty of places to eat in the parks, hotels or DTD that aren't priced as high. Last year we ate at Storyteller's which was wonderful. We've done Blue Bayou. I think almost all of the table service restaurants will add some sort of a Thanksgiving special to their menu.
Thanks, that's good to know!! Did you happen to eat at BB on Thanksgiving? Our kids have never eaten there, DH and I have years ago before kids!

Thanks, that's good to know!! Did you happen to eat at BB on Thanksgiving? Our kids have never eaten there, DH and I have years ago before kids!

Yes, we did Blue Bayou on Thanksgiving back in 2013(?). They had a turkey dinner in addition to the regular menu on the adults menu. I would assume they did for the kids as well, but can't remember (mine ordered off the regular kids menu).

Can I please have some help in deciding which dates. Either Dec 22-26 or 29-2. Are crowds the same for Christmas and New years. We don't mind crowds we know it will be very busy, but are there any special morning events that will make it busier at the parks. During Fantasmic/WOC are lines less? We prefer xmas but don't mind new years because decorations will still be up and fights are a bit less. I will be there with my DH and DD who is 9 and our goddaughter who is 6.

If I remember correctly, it was a lot crazier the 29th-2nd. I think it started to get bananas on the 26th, but I think you'll have more "less insane" days with your first choice.

If I remember correctly, it was a lot crazier the 29th-2nd. I think it started to get bananas on the 26th, but I think you'll have more "less insane" days with your first choice.
Thanks I was just talking it over with DH and we are willing to deal with the crowds. We are always there at rope drop and will try an maximize our mornings. Wish us luck. I am excited and stressed as I am with every vacation.

My husband and son and I will be going from November 17-22. We have been to Disney World many times but have never been to Disneyland. We are BEYOND excited since my 5 year LOVES Carsland!

It's such a great land anyway, even without any kind of seasonal overlay, but I think that mostly everyone who has been to California Adventure in the last several years can agree that Cars Land has some of the best -- and most theme-appropriate -- Christmas decorations between the 2 parks. Make sure to peek in the office window at the Cozy Cone, to see the adorable miniature gingerbread version of the Cozy Cone Motel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter