***Official DLR June 2021 Check In Thread***

All checked into the hotel and went and changed our tickets from kid to adult with no issue at all. Ready to hit DL in the morning and hopefully get a ROTR pass at 7 am. I rode it once last year a few weeks before the shutdown but DW has never been on it.
Cant wait to hear how things are. Some of the posts are making me wonder if June 20-26 is a good idea.... my daughter is up for whatever but my son is on the spectrum and loves DL in part because he knows how everything works.

Cant wait to hear how things are. Some of the posts are making me wonder if June 20-26 is a good idea.... my daughter is up for whatever but my son is on the spectrum and loves DL in part because he knows how everything works.

Same time period, and same worries with my kid. I've already explained that there won't be fast passes, but I'm most worried about food. He has certain meals he's used to getting and some of those counter service places aren't open yet.

I’ll be there this coming weekend for the opening of Avengers Campus. I’m really really hoping they have planned all along to have increased operations for the opening - more staff, more dining, more churros!

Going in, I know that the opening of a new attraction will come with some hassles of its own, but when you combine those with recent reports about other troubles like wait times, crowding, mobile order issues, food running out (!!!) I’m kind of getting worried about how it’ll go. At least going later in the month you’ll have an idea of how Avengers Campus is working!

We are all checked in to our hotel in Irvine for the night. I booked a business rate so we could get a guaranteed late check-out to finish work/school before we head over to check in to the Grand. We are going to hop right in the pool when we get there, hopefully there is no wait!!

Keep checking! I got DL opening almost every day that week by just checking every few hours for two days. ;)
I’m panicking now! I managed to do this for my second day, Thursday. Then last night, lo and behold, there was a DL opening for Wednesday! So I canceled my Wednesday CA reservation and very quickly went in to snag that DL reservation- and it was GONE, in about the 20 seconds— and since then, there has been NOTHING available for that day! I’m checking every hour or so, trying to tell myself I’ve got nearly 3 weeks. Surely something will pop up. Yikes!

Our journey to check into GCH started a bit rocky. We went to buy lunch on the way and my card wasn’t working. Checked my account and found out someone had spent over $3,000 at an electronics store in Florida. So that was pretty frustrating and stressful. We checked in at 1:30pm and our room was ready. We were told to dial 0 when we got to the room to put ourselves on the waitlist for the pool. We spoke to someone with guest services, who said we have to go to the pool to get on the waiting list. But he said he would go over and try to add us. He called back a few minutes later and was very apologetic, but said we would have to go down there. I had already sent my daughter down there, and she called me right when I got off the phone with him to tell me there was no waitlist and she walked right in. So now she is having fun at the pool and I am stuck in the room on a work call.

We will be in DL tomorrow morning and DCA on Saturday, then vice versa for Sunday. We are just trying to play it as relaxed and casual as possible. And trying to not get wrapped up in the craziness of Avengers Campus. If we get in, we get in.

Checking in for June 15-17! I randomly picked June 15 a few months ago...who knew how pivotal that date would be.....

Welcome, I've added you to the list :) wow, that was good planning lol. or maybe not if you are CA resident

I’m panicking now! I managed to do this for my second day, Thursday. Then last night, lo and behold, there was a DL opening for Wednesday! So I canceled my Wednesday CA reservation and very quickly went in to snag that DL reservation- and it was GONE, in about the 20 seconds— and since then, there has been NOTHING available for that day! I’m checking every hour or so, trying to tell myself I’ve got nearly 3 weeks. Surely something will pop up. Yikes!
Whew! I was really starting to worry, I accidentally lost my first day’s reservation trying to swap it for a DL day. By yesterday I started checking every couple minutes or so, looking for a reservation opening to pop up for the 23rd. Not sure if my boss noticed me surreptitiously and obsessively checking my phone. The day before, the day after, random other multiple days kept popping up- they’d last for a minute or two, 5 max, and then gone. Finally this morning a California Adventure start popped up and I scrambled to grab it! I feel like I can relax, my precious two solo days are saved. I will start the first day at CA and Thursday at DL. Good enough!
Relieved!

Our trip is done 😢 but we had a great time! Yesterday felt busier in DL than our earlier days. Not terrible but it was more difficult to find the shorter wait times on a lot of the rides most of the morning and day. They opened the parks around 8, but not a single ride that we could find was open yet. We walked by Indy, Pirates, HM, BTMRR (we were 2nd in line when the CMs were informed there was an issue that would delay the ride opening and said we all had to come back later) so we went to FL, and then the tomorrow land rides and none were going yet.
By the time we got back over to POTC it had a line (might have been the only ride open). So we waited and rode that. Then HM was open so we went to that and got on fairly quick because they had the CM entrance open to skip the stretching room if you wanted and we did. Then we decided to get Beignets from mint julep bar.
Indy VQ opened pretty early so I got Bg 36 for that and we got called about an hour later. The rest of the day was slow for rides because of wait times but we went with the flow. We did Space, AIWL twice, MFSR, ROTR when our boarding group was called.
We ate dinner around 6 over by galactic grill and that is when wait times started to go down. So the last 2 1/2 hours we got quite a bit in. Indy 3 times as they had opened the stand bye line again and the wait said 30 min most of that time. POTC, HM, BTMRR 3 times. So we finished with a bang for sure.We are getting ready to check out and drive home 6 1/2 hours so I will post what worked for us later when we get home and settled in.

Thank you to everyone coming back with trip reports, its hard being stuck here in Ireland but reading all your experiences helps keep the magic alive until I can get back.

We got back last night from our trip. We went into our Saturday and Sunday park days with low expectations, especially after we found out that our daughter’s favorite ride would not be accessible unless we got into Avenger’s Campus. But we ended up having an amazing time!

We checked into the Grand around 1pm and were told we should hurry down to the pool and put ourselves on the waitlist. I sent my daughter down and there ended up being no wait, so she got to hang out in the pool while I was stuck on a work call in the room until 3:30 then I joined her at the pool. My husband arrived by train (he had to work a full day) at around 7:30 and we all went to dinner at Naples. After dinner, we got dessert from Hearthstone and got everything ready in our room for an early morning.

The next day, we woke up at 6:15am, got ready to go, snagged a boarding group for RotR (12), and then headed down to Craftsman Grill. The line to get into DCA through the GC entrance stretched all the way to Storytellers and as we passed by, we noticed the security gates were down and there was no security or Hoag (temperature) personnel there yet. After a quick breakfast, we headed toward the DTD security entrance at around 7:40. At this point, I still didn’t see any security personnel and the line for DCA went to the lobby doors. When we got to the DTD entrance, there was no line for security. We got through quickly and got into a line being held outside La Brea. As soon as we got in line they let the line into the Esplanade. We hurried over to the DL entrance and were the second group in line. They let the Harbor entrance in between 7:50-7:55. I didn’t notice when people started coming in from Mickey & Friends. They opened the gates at 8am and started letting people in at around 8:10. We went first thing to guest services were we got our daughter a DAS pass. GS explained that it was their goal to have most rides open by 8:30am. Space Mountain wasn’t open yet but that’s what our daughter wanted on her card, so he gave us a later return time and we headed over to Haunted Mansion.

The rest of our day went like this:
HM
PotC
BTMRR (all before 9am)
RotR (our BG was called before 9am)
Indy (got in the VQ around 9:30)
SM
Autopia

Dole Whip break and attempted to get WS BG. Got an error message saying our whole party had to be in the park (it said 2 out of 3 of our party wasn’t 🤷‍♀️). Went to GS to get GotG return time while my daughter and husband were on Star Tours. I asked about the WS error message and ended up with a little Pixie Dust and a WS boarding group. We then headed back to the hotel for a lunch and pool break. There was a waiting list at around 1pm when we got to the pool, so we ordered food to go from Craftsman and headed to our room to eat, get changed, and relax. We got a text to return to the pool at around 2pm. Daughter and I hung out at the pool while my husband napped in the room. We returned to DCA at around 4:30 when there was about 20 minutes left on our WS BG. Our BG ended up being called in less than 5 mins.

The rest of our day:
-WS
-GotG (bought drink for husband from Pym’s with an immediate return time while husband and daughter were on ride)
-looked around AC
-dinner at Carthay
-Monsters
-Shopping
-Mater’s (walk-on)
-Luigi’s (walk-on)
-Watched the Sh-Boom
-RSR
-Goofy’s (I went on Ariel while daughter and husband rode Goofy)
-GR
-Back to Hotel

The next day, we tried for WS at 7am but no luck. Had breakfast at Craftsman. We noticed the DCA line was much shorter when we walked by. Plus, the security gates were up and security and temp taking personnel were out, although they weren’t letting people through yet. Finished breakfast at 8am and were in DCA by 8:10.

The rest of our day went like this:
Before 9am
-IC 4x’s in a row
-TS
-EW
-SS (daughter rode twice)
After 9am
-Goofy
-Ariel
-Shopping
-Soarin
-GotG

At noon, we tried again for WS but no luck. Went to lunch at Lamplight. I asked if we could not be seated at a high top table, as I need a seat where I can have my feet on the ground. I am 8 1/2 months pregnant and just can’t sit in a high chair without my feet on the ground to support me and my giant belly. I was told they could not guarantee any seating and of course ended up being seated at a high top table. I ended up having to stand for most of the meal because sitting was pretty unbearable. We were also very disappointed to be seated upstairs way in the back close to the store with no view of anything. We usually have such great service at LL, but the service was terrible on top of it. Our server was super grouchy and didn’t check on us at all once she took our order. Someone else brought us our food and drinks and we had to flag her down to get her to take our payment. These were the only less than positive CM interactions we had of the whole trip. All the other CMs we encountered were really nice and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

The rest of our day:
-GR
-park hopped to DL
-Pinocchio (walk-on)
-Peter Pan
-Mr. Toad (2 min wait)
-Teacups (walk-on)
-Alice (did all these FL rides in under an hour)
-RR
-I headed back to the hotel to hang by the pool because I was DONE. Husband and daughter went on Smuggler’s Run and Splash Mountain and were out of the park by 4pm. There was a waitlist for the pool so I hung out in the lobby while my daughter and husband went shopping in DTD. By the time they were done, I still hadn’t received a text to return to the pool, so we decided to call it a day and head home. We finally received the text about 30 minutes after we got on the road.

Overall, it was a great trip! We saw lots of characters. My favorite was watching Tigger in a grass planter trying to catch bugs in a butterfly net. We were able to continue our tradition of celebrating our daughter’s birthday at DLR, and got in one last quick vacation as a family of 3 before I have the baby.

Feel free to ask me any questions about our trip!

Last edited:
Made it home safe and sound and now recovering from our 4 park days. Here are a few things I noticed or learned on the trip that might be helpful for those still planning on going.

Seating- can be hard to find in many places but I always saw open tables at Rancho Del Zocalo outside area next to BTMRR. Also between MH and Nemo Submarines is a nice area with lots of shade in the afternoon and evening and not a lot of people but I always saw open tables in the shade back there. It’s near galactic Grill. Just something to keep in mind when it’s time to eat or if you just want a break out of the sun.

Refilling a water bottle- the only place I found to do this was in Star Wars land. Found two bottle refill stations. One next to the milk stand and the other near the bathrooms in the market area not far from ronto wraps. In DCA we found none at all. You can get cups of water at the restaurants but it’s not always easy.

Wait times- Were almost always shorter than posted for us. Most were just a few min shorter. Some rides were considerably lower.
SM was the biggest example of this. Usually a good 15-20 min shorter than it posted. So don’t be scared of how long the lines look. They keep moving and usually are less than you think.

If you are ok with skipping the stretching room on HM and if it’s open, you can ride HM much much faster by skipping the stretching room. Just ask the CM at the right point in line (it’s easy to see where once you get to that point in line).

Getting the BGs for ROTR and WS is not as hard as it feels going in. We were successful on 3 of 4 7 am attempts and on the day we missed the 7 am drop we were successful at noon. And when we were successful it was a low BG #. The pull down to refresh method was great for us. But I didn’t realize I could do that till day 3 and 4. Days 1 and 2 I started on the app home page. Still worked for BG 21 on day 1 but I had bad timing on day 2 at 7. I think I tried a split second too early when I didn’t get it but my timing was much better the other times. I do have a newer phone (iphone 11 on T-mobile) and my cell service was usually full bars when I was going for BG so I would guess that helps. But still, I always felt like the spinning wheel was taking forever even when I got the BGs successfully so don’t panic when it takes a few seconds. Including my trip right before covid I am now 5 for 6 on getting a BG. 4 out of 5 tries on ROTR, and 1/1 for webslingers. So the odds are good to get one imo. And the noon distribution helps the odds I think.

The early mornings are hard to plan because you don’t know what rides will open early with the parks. Day one we tried indy first and it was running but broke down right before we were to be sent inside.
Day 2 we went to SM first and it wasn’t open immediately but they did open after about 5 min wait so it worked out that day.
Day 3 in DCA we went straight to RSR and it was running. We were close enough to the front of the line to see the first car loaded. Our DCA day on Saturday was the best morning for rides for us. RSR, Incredicoaster, and TSMM all before 9am.

Day 4 was the worst morning (not really bad, just no rides open when the park opened). We walked most of the DL park looking for a ride before one finally opened so that wasn’t ideal.

The last couple hours before park closing you can usually find ride times much lower. Last night we got to ride Indy 3 times, BTMRR 3x, POTC, HM, and AIWL all in the last 2 1/2 hours so that was a great way to end the trip.

Mobile ordering isn’t as bad as it seems but I do still wish they had more walk up options and I especially wish they would open more restaurants and expand the food options. There were times I couldn’t find something I wanted to eat because of the limited options. Had to “settle” for something a couple times. Only a couple of times did I find it hard to get the return time I wanted.
Dole whip from Tropical hideaway you definitely have to order early but otherwise it wasn’t hard to find return times most of the time.

Only the milk stand once (we tried to order last second with an immediate return time but it was anything but immediate) and gibson ice cream once did we have to wait long after we hit the we are here button. Otherwise it was usually only a few minutes if that before they said our order was ready. So if there is something you must have, then order it early to make sure. But if you want to wing it a little then you can do that too as long as you don’t wait till the very last second.

The best meals I had were the herb chicken meal at the french market. And the fried chicken at Flos. Ronto Wraps were a huge hit for DD (12) and she also liked both the green and blue milk.
Burgers from red rose tavern and galactic grill were just eh.
Flos steak fries were also good (DW got them with a burger). They are like red robin fries for comparison. The fries I got in DL with my burgers were eh like the burgers. Not terrible but not something I would go back for.

I’m not a big pineapple dole whip person but I do really like both the lemon and Raspberry ones.

The breakfast shawarma in AC was decent but not great. Too dry for me. If it had salsa or a sauce I would have liked it better I think.

AC- I think this will be a very good addition once they remove the restrictions and open it up like the rest of the park. It’s not worth waiting in a long line for IMO. Just not enough to do there. And taking GOTG away from everyone not in AC is really frustrating and wrong IMO. The Spider-man stunt show is pretty neat but I wouldn’t wait around for it. I was happy to take advantage of the rest of the park while so many were waiting to get into AC.

That’s all I can think of at the moment but I can answer questions.

Thanks for everyone’s trip reports! We leave tomorrow night and I’m getting super excited!

Does anyone know where to get a birthday button? Assuming they’re even giving them out. I’ll be celebrating my birthday there for the first time and would love a button.

Any suggestion for what time to line up on the Harbor side? We’re staying in the Best Western right across the street. I mentioned 7:30 to my family, and they weren’t super happy, so I think that’s probably the earliest I can negotiate lol

My first post! I have been following these boards for a few weeks. Everyone is so friendly and helpful! It has been invaluable to helping me plan our upcoming trip. We are former AP holders (years ago) but we live in a different part of the state now. Our last visit to DL was summer 2019 when GE first opened. This will be our first experience without PH tickets. Add in BG, virtual queues, no MaxPass, no trams, reduced capacity, dining reservations! Oh my! It is such a different experience this time!

We will finally be there this this weekend. Yay! 6/11 at Disneyland, and 6/12 at CA. Staying at Castle Inn. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter